Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from trip two. (So glad DD13 was able to see it today !) Loved it even more - question and apologize if this was mentioned already - didn't read all of the spoilers - [SPOILER

Last edited:
The lightsaber Rey has at the end according to my wife is made up of parts of her staff. Have no idea if she is correct but she is rewatching TFA and she noticed that.

Thats a solid interview. He took on an impossible task twice. We can only imagine the amount of pressure he was feeling for 7 and 9, and in both cases seemed to deliver something that the majority enjoyed.

I don't get the JJ hate, but I've been a fan going back to the 'Alias' days. Some say he's just a wannabe Spielberg, but I think like Spielberg that JJ will someday be on the Oscar stage
I may not like everything he has done, but his Spielberg-esque style is a big reason of why I like him. Spielberg is by far my favorite director, he’s been making exceptional films for almost 50 years, I gladly welcome imitators.

Reading this makes me feel better about liking it. Reading around today after seeing it last night made me question if my family and me had something wrong with us. Man some fanboys are up in arms today about the problems with this movie, and they have a few points but big deal. The main problem I have is that Disney execs fumbled by not mapping out a basic story arc from the beginning. How hard is it to figure this out in a time of very successful 3-, 8-, and o_O 22-movie arcs?

This movie had a lot to do and it did pretty well wrapping it up. Will see it again soon.

Reading this makes me feel better about liking it. Reading around today after seeing it last night made me question if my family and me had something wrong with us. Man some fanboys are up in arms today about the problems with this movie, and they have a few points but big deal. The main problem I have is that Disney execs fumbled by not mapping out a basic story arc from the beginning. How hard is it to figure this out in a time of very successful 3-, 8-, and o_O 22-movie arcs?

This movie had a lot to do and it did pretty well wrapping it up. Will see it again soon.
I mean, I get this argument, but every time I hear it I just think, there are so many plot inconsistencies in the other trilogies too, like, clearly things were not totally mapped out from beginning to end when the OT started (I mean, Leia kissed Luke multiple times), and stuff from the prequels make some minor things in the OT make no sense. When Lucas already had the OT laid out! How hard is it to make the prequels fit that plot? Anyway I'm not a super-fan but it's pretty clear from the little bit I've read that Lucas didn't have everything plotted out from beginning to end when he started, and if you're going to be ok with that, you can be ok with a circuitous path here too.

*I'm NOT looking to get into a SW trivia contest or a back-and-forth about "well, actually, all these so-called inconsistencies can be explained..." because if you can do those gymnastics for the earlier movies you can do it for this set too.

I mean, I get this argument, but every time I hear it I just think, there are so many plot inconsistencies in the other trilogies too, like, clearly things were not totally mapped out from beginning to end when the OT started (I mean, Leia kissed Luke multiple times), and stuff from the prequels make some minor things in the OT make no sense. When Lucas already had the OT laid out! How hard is it to make the prequels fit that plot? Anyway I'm not a super-fan but it's pretty clear from the little bit I've read that Lucas didn't have everything plotted out from beginning to end when he started, and if you're going to be ok with that, you can be ok with a circuitous path here too.

*I'm NOT looking to get into a SW trivia contest or a back-and-forth about "well, actually, all these so-called inconsistencies can be explained..." because if you can do those gymnastics for the earlier movies you can do it for this set too.

I hear you. There’s just a *lot* of yanking and banking on some really big plots and character traits within 7/8/9, I think much more than previous movies. I have whiplash lol.

I hear you. There’s just a *lot* of yanking and banking on some really big plots and character traits within 7/8/9, I think much more than previous movies. I have whiplash lol.
I shouldn't dig in on this lol but Leia being Vader's daughter to me is a big plot point. And he was about to torture her in the beginning of ANH before she was rescued! Padme's daughter! HIS daughter! How did he not sense it! I know, you're agreeing with me, but I think as Star Wars fans we have accepted and hand waved over a lot and I am fine with continuing doing that.

I shouldn't dig in on this lol but Leia being Vader's daughter to me is a big plot point. And he was about to torture her in the beginning of ANH before she was rescued! Padme's daughter! HIS daughter! How did he not sense it! I know, you're agreeing with me, but I think as Star Wars fans we have accepted and hand waved over a lot and I am fine with continuing doing that.

I give stuff inconsistent with the first movie a big pass because it was at a time long before franchise movies were a thing, and SW was supposed to fail anyway. There’s no reason to do it that way anymore and I think it’s clear Disney didn’t think this through. They knew it would be a trilogy at least and being set after Ep 6 meant they could go almost anywhere with it. But hey it’s SW so fun and entertaining and I’m not looking for Scorsese kind of thought out of these things. I appreciate respectful discussion like this by the way, not enough of it in SW or anywhere really!

Sorry if someone has already posted this, but I think this is a really lovely way to thank Adam for his portrayal of Kylo/Ben Solo, who is widely regarded as one of the most interesting, if not THE most interesting and complex character in the ST.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/bensolos...edium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Do you know who ‘Matt the Radar Technician’ is?? 😂 Just happened to show this to my kids the other day. From back when SNL was still funny lol

The lightsaber Rey has at the end according to my wife is made up of parts of her staff. Have no idea if she is correct but she is rewatching TFA and she noticed that.

Yup ... I believe your wife is sharp with her observation. The interwebs chatter is that where most folks thought the saber was double-bladed was due to the hilt coming from her staff.

I don't get the argument that there are inconsistencies in the story when it's ALL.MADE.UP! The worlds, the species (aside from human) all of it. The writers can take it anywhere they want to and it is comes out where they want to go, no? Disney didn't "do" anything to Star Wars.

I don't get the argument that there are inconsistencies in the story when it's ALL.MADE.UP! The worlds, the species (aside from human) all of it. The writers can take it anywhere they want to and it is comes out where they want to go, no? Disney didn't "do" anything to Star Wars.

If there was an AMEN button, I’d press it. 🙌🏻

I don’t get the argument that a consistent story doesn’t matter just because it’s fictional. There were different writers for different parts of the story, who don’t seem to care much about where it was going before they took the baton. But hey it’s Disney so how can it be anything less than perfect lol.

I guess I’m in the minority. I thought it did well to wrap up the new trilogy, but this trilogy as a whole was severely disappointing. Way too many rehashes of stories from the OT. Bringing Palpatine back (and never mentioning him by his Sith name of Sidious) only because you couldn’t come up with a new “bad guy” in 3 films.
I didn't love Palpatine coming back either, but I think it really did work out with the story. I never liked the first order bit, especially with the lack of background on it in the movies. But I think having Palpatine back basically answered those questions.

Finally saw it (and thus have a lot of spoiler tags to go read now! Lol)

Overall I really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No. Was it the story I would have told? Probably not .... But the story they did tell I think was pretty darn compelling, got me emotional at points, and made me giddy at others. Hard to ask for much more than that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter