Stay in Houston or Galveston pre-cruise?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I've just booked a Verry Merry Time for this Christmas! I've never been out of Galveston and curious if it is cheaper and just as easy to stay in Houston the night before the cruise and then transfer the morning of. The first cruise I took I actually stayed in Jacksonville for complex reasons and it wasn't too stressful getting to the port that morning (I was driving.) I'd prefer not to pay more than $120 for a hotel room but being as it is December 22 I know it might be more.

From Houston and although I don’t still live there, I visit occasionally for work. You’ll have a better time pre-cruise in Galveston, especially if you’re only talking one night.

Houston’s a big metropolis and while there are some cool areas, unless you’re going to try and go to a Rockets/Astros/Texans game (or the Rodeo) the night before, there’s not a ton you can get done or appreciate in one night. The other thing I’d suggest in Houston is the museum district, but you really need a full day morning-to-evening to really appreciate the various museums and Herman Park.

Galveston is a “relatively” small “beach” town with some things to do and some places to eat. It won’t wow you, but you’ll likely be eased into your vacation a bit more and you won’t have to contend with Houston traffic the next morning.

From Houston and although I don’t still live there, I visit occasionally for work. You’ll have a better time pre-cruise in Galveston, especially if you’re only talking one night.

Houston’s a big metropolis and while there are some cool areas, unless you’re going to try and go to a Rockets/Astros/Texans game (or the Rodeo) the night before, there’s not a ton you can get done or appreciate in one night. The other thing I’d suggest in Houston is the museum district, but you really need a full day morning-to-evening to really appreciate the various museums and Herman Park.

Galveston is a “relatively” small “beach” town with some things to do and some places to eat. It won’t wow you, but you’ll likely be eased into your vacation a bit more and you won’t have to contend with Houston traffic the next morning.
Just saw you’ll be there in December… two other things to do in Houston: the Galleria if you’re into high end shopping (but that area is CRAZY packed with traffic at almost all times) or the Ballet - they have an excellent Nutcracker.

Again, if you’re not trying to do one of these very specific Houston things, skip and just do Galveston.

I live in Houston. If you want stress free, stay in Galveston. Houston‘s traffic can be a bear and there’s really just I45 leading to galveston so if something happens in the morning, you’ll be caught. And there’s never a day where something hasn’t happened on one of the roads. (Construction is everywhere too…)

in terms of seeing stuff, more interesting stuff to see in Houston proper with the museum district/Hermann Park area, Galleria area, space center Houston (this is the closest to Galveston), etc. You also have the more oddball stuff to see here as well. Food is excellent but with just one day, you can only eat so much.

for Galveston, there’s the beach but it’s not the prettiest as the water gets a lot of silt so it looks muddy. But you can make a day with Moody Gardens, train museum,ride The ferry, or just visit the Strand.

Having said that, we’ve done cruises out of Galveston and we drive the day of from our home in the north part of Houston (we’re a good 1.5-2 hrs away). We just leave as early as I can get everyone out of the house just in case…

I've just booked a Verry Merry Time for this Christmas! I've never been out of Galveston and curious if it is cheaper and just as easy to stay in Houston the night before the cruise and then transfer the morning of. The first cruise I took I actually stayed in Jacksonville for complex reasons and it wasn't too stressful getting to the port that morning (I was driving.) I'd prefer not to pay more than $120 for a hotel room but being as it is December 22 I know it might be more.

I also live in Houston and would recommend staying in Galveston overnight and skipping ALL of Houston. It'll be a more relaxing way to start your vacation rather than dealing with the strain of the traffic and the drive to the port, etc.

I would stay at Harbor House Hotel or Tremont House (I've looked into both of these for corporate parties and both are on/adjacent to "the strand" which can be what you "do" the day before) and park at Lighthouse Parking (pay ahead). There are a string of restaurants right in the area of these hotels... if you're feeling adventerous you can wander over to the seawall. As I'm not from Texas, and don't care for the beaches here, and I will say that you might be disappointed. But it's an experience nonetheless.

Someone posted above shopping in the Galleria - and I just would NOT do that in December. I office in Williams Tower, which connects to the Galleria, and around the holidays I can see the chaos of the traffic from my 50something floor window. I hardly venture over there to Christmas shop because it's chaotic on a "normal" Houston day.

The ferry to Bolivar isn't a bad idea. We have a beach house there and it's a quick trip back and forth - and you can see dolphins and it's FREE. You might see dolphins leaving the port from the ship too.

I'm excited for you!! I adore the MerryTime cruises! Please reach out if I can help you further.

I am also flying into Houston and taking an Uber down to Galveston to stay the night of the 22nd. If your budget is $120 a night, Tremont House won't be a good option (very pricey from what I've discovered). I booked a room at the Hilton for less than $100 before tax. We'll have to Uber to the port the next morning, but it's only a couple of miles from there. I couldn't find a hotel that offered a free shuttle to the port within my preferred budget (which was the same as yours), but if you find one let me know! I have free cancellation so if you find something that offers a free shuttle for less than $120 a night I would be very interested!

Another tip: If you're taking an Uber or Lyft to Galveston from Houston, Hobby airport is closer and it'll be less expensive to take a ride from there as opposed to Bush. Although if you already booked your flight that tip may not be so helpful.

I am also flying into Houston and taking an Uber down to Galveston to stay the night of the 22nd. If your budget is $120 a night, Tremont House won't be a good option (very pricey from what I've discovered). I booked a room at the Hilton for less than $100 before tax. We'll have to Uber to the port the next morning, but it's only a couple of miles from there. I couldn't find a hotel that offered a free shuttle to the port within my preferred budget (which was the same as yours), but if you find one let me know! I have free cancellation so if you find something that offers a free shuttle for less than $120 a night I would be very interested!

Another tip: If you're taking an Uber or Lyft to Galveston from Houston, Hobby airport is closer and it'll be less expensive to take a ride from there as opposed to Bush. Although if you already booked your flight that tip may not be so helpful.

I ended up booking the Best Western Seawall. I stay with that line a lot and am usually please. It looks like a fairly new hotel and I know my daughter likes their breakfast. No free shuttle but I think I paid $99 with cancellation up to the day before.

Moody Gardens in Galveston is a combined hotel/resort. It will be prettily decorated for Christmas, and there are things to do and see there. If you're not going to arrive a whole day early, though, that won't really matter, and it's definitely over $120 per night.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter