Stroller bags for air travel

Snurk71

DIS Veteran
Thanks for all of the great responses on the rain covers - unfortunately no one here sells them, so looks like I'll be ordering online. Before I do, though, now I'm wondering if I should also order one of those huge bags by Graco to pack the stroller in when we check it at the airport. Any input would be appreciated by those of you who have or have not used a bag to protect your stroller.

Thanks!

We have always gate check'd our stroller as opposed to checking it at the check-in counter. We also have never used a bag. We've never noticed any damage to the stroller. One time, they tagged it with the wrong airport, but fortunately I noticed. Now I always look at the tags when they put them on any checked luggage.

never had a stroller damaged.

We have flown 5-6 times per year with our dd's over the past 7 years and until last year always with a stroller, sometimes a double! If your child is young I suggest a gate check for the stroller. Bring the stroller right up to the gate and ask the attendant for a gate check. They will tag the stroller and you bring it right to the door of the airplane when you board, allowing you to use it in the airport. They then load the stroller with the baggage and have it waiting for you as you deplane at arrival - its a great option.

If you have an older child and don't need the use of the stroller at the airport then you can check it with your luggage. In this case just make sure it can't open in transit! We use a strong luggage strap or bungee cord to make sure the stroller stays folded.

Have a great trip!
TJ

Thanks for the tips.

This is our first time travelling with our daughter - 14 months - so now I've got a question about the gate-checking of the stroller. I think I am reading the above info. correctly, but just to make sure...If we want to use the stroller through the airport, we should gate-check right before boarding? It will then be waiting for us when we get off of the plane, correct? Just trying to make sure I get this right!

yes that is how you gate check the stroller. if you still want to buy a bag let me know I am selling mine. I have used it every time I have flown. its wonderful because you can also put other things in there with it on the way home. I curbside check my stroller so I don't have the hassles of getting it thru security. especially now.

Beverly Lynn,

I'll talk to my husband and see what he wants to do on the stroller bag - he'll probably say the usual, "Whatever you think is best!" Is your bag by Graco, and how much would you want (including shipping charges)? By the way, you wouldn't happen to have a rain cover for a Graco stroller, would you, that you are looking at getting rid of? ;-)

yes my stoller is a graco. it fits them. shipping wouldn't be that much. 15 plus shipping.

Be vigilant if you use a stroller bag with a gate-checked stroller. There are restrictions on what sort of luggage may be legitimately gate-checked, as opposed to situations where you make it all the way to the gate with a too-large carryon bag, and the FA calls you on it and makes you check it.

Be sure that the tag that gets onto your stroller bag says clearly that the bag should be delivered directly to the gate, and then, when you land, ask the ramp agent if you do not see it right away. Because the wheels are not visible when a stroller is in a full bag, it is possible that the luggage handlers will assume that it was a last-minute luggage check and send it to the carousels; they look first for things with wheels when they look for things that need to go up onto the jetway.

I use a stroller sleeve, rather than a bag. It is a ripstop nylon tube that lets the handles and rear wheels stick out, so that I can pull the folded stroller behind me down the jetway. Even with the wheels exposed, I still sometimes have trouble with the handlers not noticing it right away. The sleeve is bright yellow, so if I tell them to look for that, they always do find it quickly when they look again.

One piece of advice if you decide not to use a cover. Take off all the loose parts of your stroller when it is gate-checked, including any toys, and the hood (I put the hood in my checked luggage.) Fold it yourself at the end of the jetway, and it is best to put some kind of strap around it to secure it shut. (The majority of strollers that break in transit get broken when the handlers accidentally grab the latch and unfold them, then force them shut again, because they don't have time to figure out the fold mechanism.)

We gate check a wheelchair all the time, so I feel like an expert at gate-checking. Wheelchairs are much more durable than strollers, but we have had a piece bent on my DD's wheelchair when it was gate checked.

skeezixspud brought up all the points that I usually mention. I would also add, ask about gate checking when you first check in. I have seen lots of people tell the gate agent they want to check it while boarding. That's too late to make sure everything is done correctly.
When you get off the plane, don't forget your stroller. We are usually the last off the plane and about half the time, there is a stroller patiently waiting for someone who either forgot they gate checked it or thought it would be delivered at the baggage carousel.

believe it or not strollers are one of the biggest unclaimed pieces. I was surprised to see wheelchairs too. how could you forget to pick up your wheelchair?

Beverly Lynn,

Thank you for the offer on the stroller bag, but I will pass. Now we are back to trying to decide if we are going to check the stroller with the rest of the luggage or gate-check it so we can use it at the airport. Hopefully we'll reach a decision before our date arrives in three weeks!

We always check our stroller. Since we only have one child we don't need to have it right to the gate. The stroller bag allows us to stick some other things in it, like his pooh blanket, small pillow, etc. that would take up lots of room in a suitcase. The bag has several marks on it so I am always glad that we have it to protect the stroller. We have had our stroller almost 4 years now and it has survived 5 trips to WDW and 8 or 9 up north. Well used and well worth it.

Whether you check it at the gate or check it with luggage will depend on how necessary it is for you in getting you and your family to the gate and then to baggage claim. At Orlando it is quite a distance from the gates to the baggage claim area (at least for SWA and United). If you have lots of carryon luggage you might want to gate check it.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get the stroller through the security gates these days? We're planning on gate checking out stroller next week. (I bought two straps at the dollar store to make sure it stays folded during the flight.)

Thanks!
Beth

I was worried about my stroller being damaged during handling so my mom made me a cover for my stroller. She made it out of a vinyl tablecloth with elastic straps to hold it on. The handles and wheels are not covered so it can easily be identified and moved by handlers. It also folds up easily and is waterproof. It does have several small tears and dirty marks on it so I am glad I had it so that my stroller did not get damaged instead.

Just an FYI for those traveling soon. When departing on a trip out of DFW on American a couple of weeks ago, I was not allowed to roll my stroller to the airplane. Instead, I had to fold it up and give it to a gate agent before handing in my boarding pass. This put a SEVERE cramp in my plans since it now meant I had to carry a carseat, diaper bag and toddler down the ramp and onto the plane. I complied but it was definitely not easy. Upon arrival at my destination, my stroller was waiting right outside the plane and we had no further problems. When returning home, I was allowed to roll the stroller down the ramp - thank goodness!! Just be prepared in case you are asked to do this so that you can have a backup plan if necessary.

Going through security with a stroller is generally not that difficult. I had to fold up the stroller and put it through the x-ray machine with everything else. I then walked through the metal detector while holding my daughter. Once through, I picked up the stroller, opened it and placed dd back in the stroller. Since I was travelling alone with my dd, it was kind of hard to collapse and unfold the stroller while also holding dd but once again we just somehow managed.

I was quite dismayed at the lack of help offered by both airline personnel and other passengers. It wasn't that I was counting on getting help but I did think that some would be offered. Instead, everyone just watched us struggle and did nothing to help. Oh well.

Good luck and have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter