Stroller for 5 yr old

shpdem

Mouseketeer
I know this is prob a toss up question, but we have a 5 yr old dd, who is to big to carry and I know she is going to get tired all day in a park, but I'm trying to decide if its absurd to take a stroller to mess with it. What does everyone else do, we don't do rope drops but we are there close to it and prefer not going back to the resort during the day. We have 2 meals planned a day and we do stop for a lunch and snacks mainly for rest.

We are going this month with my almost 5 year old. I also have a 1 year old so we have to have a stroller so we are doing a double. And, now that I think back, we had my oldest in a stroller at 5 also. She is almost 8 now and knows she has to walk this trip! I think you know your kid best. If you bring something then it can be a lighter weight stroller, you don't need a huge one to lug. Disney is big, I would probably bring it.

We always brought a cheap umbrella stroller with us. It was easy to fold and was perfect in the evenings when our five year old got tired.

Our DD will turn 5 on our trip and we are bringing a stroller. Even with meals, lunches, sitting for parades, sitting for rides that excitement and stimulation is still there and can wear any kid and/or parent out.

We use an umbrella stroller that has a strap. It is easy to fold up and fairly easy to carry around on the shoulders. We "park" it in front of an attraction that has many close by and then walk to all those and then when we are ready to go to another section we go get it. She may not ride in the stroller for most of the day. It might just be a backpack holder for that time but by the end of the night its nice that it can serve its purpose. When you are tired and she is tired.

This is what I say to husband when he asks about it. "I would rather have it and not use it than not have it and NEED it." :)

Make sure of the weight restrictions on the one you get. Some strollers hold 45 lbs others hold 80.

It will make all the world difference with pushing.

We got a stroller for a 5 year old in 2010 when we went for the first time.

but even with the stroller there was no way could she have went from Rope drop to doors closing every day without that afternoon break BUT we also went in the heat of the summer too

We have the same dillemma. DH does not think our youngest, who will be 5 next trip should have a stroller but I know she will be tired and since we are driving, I'm just going to throw one into the van.

Same issue here, but with my DS who is turning 6 the week of our trip. Brother is 3, so we'll definitely need a stroller, but I'm just not sure whether to get a single or double. The weight/height limits are tricky with a bigger kid, but I know if he sees little brother riding, he will want to also. Who'da thought this would be one of my biggest dilemmas? :scratchin

My son is 5 also and we brought our stroller for the trip this past December. He didn't use it as much as he did on previous trips, but especially toward the evening he'd want to ride. Our next trip he will have just turned 6, but it will just be myself and him so I'm still contemplating bringing it. I'm with a pp who said i'd rather have it with us and not need than to not have it and really wish we'd brought it! If nothing else having a stroller to stack your stuff in is kind of nice when your childs not in it or in the underneath storage!

I know this is prob a toss up question, but we have a 5 yr old dd, who is to big to carry and I know she is going to get tired all day in a park, but I'm trying to decide if its absurd to take a stroller to mess with it. What does everyone else do, we don't do rope drops but we are there close to it and prefer not going back to the resort during the day. We have 2 meals planned a day and we do stop for a lunch and snacks mainly for rest.

Before when I went to WDW I bought a used double stroller for $30 (my kids were 3 and 6). I believe they're about that much per day at WDW. It doubled as a ride and place to put all of our things. It was a lifesaver! I definitely reccommend bringing one. When we go this time, my kids are 6 and 9 so I won't be bringing one, but wish I could! If I let my six yr old ride my nine yr old will want to also and I'm not about to pushe her around!

We have a jogger and a single stroller that we will be bringing for our 6 & 8 yr olds. Even if they weren't autistic and needed them for sensory reasons, we would still bring them. DW is exhausting & they have to take twice as many steps to keep up with the adults.

Same issue here, but with my DS who is turning 6 the week of our trip. Brother is 3, so we'll definitely need a stroller, but I'm just not sure whether to get a single or double. The weight/height limits are tricky with a bigger kid, but I know if he sees little brother riding, he will want to also. Who'da thought this would be one of my biggest dilemmas? :scratchin

My son will be almost 6 when we go and my daughter will be almost 4. Both of them are tall for their ages. Originally we were going to bring two cheap single umbrella strollers because we thought that we may want to separate. This is what I decided to do (and, I am a newbie at this, so take it with a grain of salt):

We are bringing a cheapie single umbrella stroller from home and renting a nice single jogging stroller to use at the park. My 3 year old will ride in the jogging stroller and all of our stuff will go underneath in the basket. The umbrella stroller will remain folded up when not in use and can hang on the bar and sit in the basket. If my son wants to ride then we can pull the umbrella stroller out. The jogging stroller also has a parent console (which the umbrella stroller doesn't) that we can put drinks in. If my daughter wants/needs a little catnap then the jogging stroller fully reclines and has a large canopy (it happens to be the same jogger that I own, but I don't want to bring it on the plane/to the park).

So, basically the jogging stroller will serve a few purposes:

• be a stroller for my daughter
  • help to carry an umbrella stroller for my son
  • carry some of our stuff so that we don't have to put it all in a backpack

Hopefully that will work!

I vote yes for the stroller for a 5 year old from my experiences...

In 2007 I went to Disneyland with my then 5-yr-old DS and did not get a stroller - MISTAKE! He was tired after a full day and fell asleep before we got back to the hotel, I had to carry him from GCH to DLH, in retrospect I should have borrowed a wheelchair from GCH.

In 2012 I went to Disneyland with my niece and her 5-yr-old son. We rented a stroller in the parks and loved having a place for her son to rest, we traveled from place to place much faster, and bonus, a place to hold our backpacks between rides.

If I visit a park with a 5-yr-old again, I will strongly advise bringing a stroller with us, having a stroller at the airport and between the parks and the hotel is too valuable!

Alicia

We went two years ago with a 3.5 year old, and she spent tons of time in the stroller, including naps. We're renting from the same company this year, even though she's 5.5 now. I am not taking the chance that she is done partway through the day and needs to be carried...it's too hot in Orlando in September to carry a 45lb child!

Gonna go against what others said. My son went at four and five and didn't use a stroller once. He never even asked. But, you know your child better than anyone. It won't hurt to have one...even if you never use it.

My twins were 5 on our last trip and we brought a double stroller (the back to back kind). We used it a lot, but we also left it quite often in one spot for a few hours while we did a bunch of rides and would come back and get it later. You don't have to cart it around with you the whole day at the park. It does come in very handy. It is a lot of walking for those little feet.

Our DD will turn 5 on our trip and we are bringing a stroller. Even with meals, lunches, sitting for parades, sitting for rides that excitement and stimulation is still there and can wear any kid and/or parent out.

We use an umbrella stroller that has a strap. It is easy to fold up and fairly easy to carry around on the shoulders. We "park" it in front of an attraction that has many close by and then walk to all those and then when we are ready to go to another section we go get it. She may not ride in the stroller for most of the day. It might just be a backpack holder for that time but by the end of the night its nice that it can serve its purpose. When you are tired and she is tired.

This is what I say to husband when he asks about it. "I would rather have it and not use it than not have it and NEED it." :)

This would be exactly my answer, too. :) It's great for the kids to rest and get off their feet for a little bit, it's great to hold backpacks and soft sided coolers (if you use a regular stroller), and I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and have to carry the kids. :)

In 2006, our DDs were 6.5 and 2.5. I insisted on bringing BOTH of our strollers, a larger Peg Perego and a smaller MacLaren. My DH thought I was NUTS and was really embarrassed to be lugging around not one but two strollers, especially when one was for a child 6.5yo! He felt she was wayyyy too old to need a stroller. We stayed at POR and that meant opening and closing two strollers when getting on the buses, not ideal, that is for sure. Well! Our older DD ended up getting sick, she and I stayed in our room for more than a day until she recovered. After she felt better, she still wasn't strong enough to do all that walking at the parks and we really needed that stroller for her. Heck, when she was at full strength we sometimes needed it! Kids get super tired walking and walking and standing for all those hours.

I guess you can tell I am all in favor for having strollers at DW, even when kids are past the age when they normally use them at home. I also clearly remember our first trip without any strollers and how much I missed having one available to hold all of our stuff! I never regretted taking our stroller(s), we totally used them!:thumbsup2

Ive had a lot of experiences with strollers and older but still young children. Under 6 and Id automatically bring a stroller, if anything just for a resting place while waiting for rides. My oldest was 5 last trip and she rode in the stroller when she got tired and would nap in the stroller (but not in the hotel bed)..

The few times Ive had family take children to parks without strollers they ended up regretting it. Once was my 6yo niece who ended up so exhausted by Day 4 my SIL ended up renting a stroller for the next 7 days. Would have been a lot cheaper to buy an umbrella one. Other time it was my SIL bringing the kiddos she babysat, they whined consistently from about 30 minutes into the park. Mean SIL I am I didn't allow them to use the stroller I had since it had my 3 and 10 month olds in it (no way I was having a 3yo walk so a 5yo could ride, especially when the 3yo tired easily). My SIL ended up renting a double stroller, lets just say those are expensive.

Take it! Worst thing you don't use it, best you have it when your child needs it.

My son will be almost 6 when we go and my daughter will be almost 4. Both of them are tall for their ages. Originally we were going to bring two cheap single umbrella strollers because we thought that we may want to separate. This is what I decided to do (and, I am a newbie at this, so take it with a grain of salt):

We are bringing a cheapie single umbrella stroller from home and renting a nice single jogging stroller to use at the park. My 3 year old will ride in the jogging stroller and all of our stuff will go underneath in the basket. The umbrella stroller will remain folded up when not in use and can hang on the bar and sit in the basket. If my son wants to ride then we can pull the umbrella stroller out. The jogging stroller also has a parent console (which the umbrella stroller doesn't) that we can put drinks in. If my daughter wants/needs a little catnap then the jogging stroller fully reclines and has a large canopy (it happens to be the same jogger that I own, but I don't want to bring it on the plane/to the park).

So, basically the jogging stroller will serve a few purposes:

• be a stroller for my daughter
  • help to carry an umbrella stroller for my son
  • carry some of our stuff so that we don't have to put it all in a backpack

Hopefully that will work!

I'm curious about what others think of this plan too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter