Stroller situation 3 preschoolers

Jeebie234

Earning My Ears
We are in the throes of planning our first WDW trip with the kids. They'll be 5, 4, and 2.5 at the time of the trip.

I've researched the stroller situation, and I know we need one. I'm just racking my brain about the best options for 3 young kids.

Are there doubles that can fit 3? Seems like the Disney park rental ones might, but they're not comfortable looking. Should I do a double and a single umbrella?

Looking for options! Any advice much appreciated!

When we were in that situation, we had a bigger double stroller(ours was a joovy, but whatever) that had good basket space and reclining seats. We also had an umbrella stroller as well. It could folded and fit underneath our big one when not in use or we hung it from the handlebars. I wouldn't do a disney stroller just because they don't recline and are super hard plastic.

A sit and stand might allow 2 kids to sit on the bench part if your kids are on the smaller side!

When we were in that situation, we had a bigger double stroller(ours was a joovy, but whatever) that had good basket space and reclining seats. We also had an umbrella stroller as well. It could folded and fit underneath our big one when not in use or we hung it from the handlebars. I wouldn't do a disney stroller just because they don't recline and are super hard plastic.

What umbrella stroller fits under

I've done a sit and stand with two kids in the back. It's tight and heavy but doable especially if they aren't all in it all day. If if was me I'd use a toddler carrier for the two year old if all three want to sit but I already have a toddler carrier and my kids were used to being worn at that age.

When I went with three 5 year olds, we brought a double BOB and single umbrella. When we needed to (one adult was moving three kids and two strollers) the umbrella could be folded up and placed on the handlebars of the BOB. We would also park them that was sometimes when space was tight.

We have three children close in age and rented strollers from Kingdom Strollers. They delivered and picked up at our resort. We rented a double and a single—both citi mini GT strollers I think. They folded easily and fairly compactly although we did use the monorail whenever possible. I always find umbrella strollers more difficult to push than bigger, but more expensive “sporty” strollers so I wasn’t eager to use one for long days of touring.

I'd just get a double and make sure that the 5 and 4 year old know they have to trade off. I'd also PRACTICE walking at home with the 4 and 5 year old walking and the 2.5 in a stroller. That gives them the message that they are old enough to be walkers.

I would also take a double and have the 4 and 5 year olds take turns walking. Even with a stroller, it is parked most of the time. It’s good for getting from one end of the park to the other but then you park it to go on rides. If everyone gets too tired, rent a park stroller but my bet is that the older 2 will be fine riding and walking part of the time.

I think it all depends on your logistics - how many adults? Will you be going back to your room for naps? Have your own car or take the buses?

We used a sit and stand a few years ago for a 5 and 2 1/2 year old. But the younger one wanted to be like big brother and half the trip they both sat on the bench. Big one sat facing back and little one facing forward with feet hanging in basket. It worked for us but there was no way to buckle them in, so if you have a wiggle worm, this might not work.

But the two old ones might fit on the bench seat if they aren't too big. I'd head to a store and try it out for size.

Wanted to add the sit and stand we had , lack shade. No shade at all in the back and smallish shade in front. We added a shade in the back, that you use on beach chairs, So depending on time of year , you may need as much as shade you can get over the kids.

Last edited:
We have similar age kids (5, 3, 2.5) and just got back a few weeks ago. We were 100% fine with a double stroller and did not need an extra seat. We live in a city so our kids DO walk a lot. I'm obviously not going to walk them to kindergarten or even pre-K in a stroller so they walk a few miles, minimum, every day (many days, probably more like 5-6 miles). If you have time to build up to your trip, I'd wager your five year old (and maybe even the four year old) can handle more walking than you might realize.

Our highest mileage day at WDW was 9.3 miles (Epcot) if that's helpful. Most days were 7-8 miles. The 2.5 year old rode in the double (we have a City GT, side by side) most of the time. They 3 year old walked probably 50% of the time, maybe more. The 5 year old really didn't sit in the stroller much at all.

My then-5-year-old did THREE full (rope drop to fireworks), no midday rest park days in 4 days before consenting to riding in the stroller after ROL in AK. We took it every time and he refused to ride in it until the end of the 3rd day. My niece (who is 6 months younger than him) wants in a stroller immediately. Know your kids.

I’m a stroller fan. I like how it contains my kids in crowds, they can take naps in them, and I can leave junk in them. I also find them easier to walk with (I have MS). We just went with a 2, 4, and 6 year old. We started our trip renting a double citi-mini and after one day added a citi mini GT for the oldest. In the parks we generally park them in an area while we walk between lines but the 2 year old did nap every day in the stroller, the kids did sit in them under the rain covers during the rain and during parades and fireworks, and the kids rode in them going in and out of the park (we were on the monorail). Oh and even the six year old fell asleep in his stroller 2 of the 5 nights. So for us, two strollers worked for that kind of age range. I know some people think we’re crazy!

I already have a side by side double stroller and ordered a stroller board attachment for the back. My 6 year old used it when she needed a break or if a parade crowd was disbursing and I needed to keep her close.
Amazon had them listed as glider boards or stroller boards.

When our kids were 1,3 and 5 we took a double. They mostly took turns and if they all needed to ride at the same time, we could get them in there. Some nights all three of them were asleep in the stroller.

I suggest a double and a stroller board, or a double and an umbrella.

We just got back with my 8 year old, 3 year old, and 10 month old with a city mini GT Double. It worked great for the 2 of them and would have been good with the stroller board for another.
I had a Joovy Sit and Stand for when my 8 year old was 5-6 and my 3 year old was an infant. I found it a LOT more cumbersome than the Double. You may be able to sit 2 on a bench...... I guess those who do have smaller children than I do. My 3 year old would not be able to sit next to himself on the bench. Also the weight was an issue even with a 6 year old and 18 month old on the Joovy caboose. It creaked and moaned with the weight. adding another 40-50 lbs would have made it unmanageable.

We had our two kids 3 & 5 with just one umbrella stroller. The 5 yr old walked most of the time (my Dad was her babysitter and he'd make the kids walk all over) When the big kid needed a break the 3yr old would walk. Worked out well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter