• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions/Opinions? (kind of long)

6_Time_Momma

<font color=blue>Still crazy after all these years
I am working on starting a club for Catholic girls here. While talking about ideas with my daughter, she stated to me "Poor Garrett. He never gets to do anything like Boy Scouts or Girls Scouts. We should start a club for kids like Garrett to earn patches and stuff."

So, that got me thinking about it. It sounds like an intreging idea. Have a group meet maybe once a month. Have them be able to earn badges by completing tasks to the best of THEIR OWN ability. Flexivle enough to accomodate kids of all levels. AND FUN!!

Any thoughts on something like this?

Would you take your child to this?

Or do you think it wouldn't fly?

RobinMarie said:
I'm confused, is there a reason Garrett is not able to join the boyscouts?

I was told by my local leader here, that he had to actually be able to do the requirements to earn badges. He needed to be able to SAY the oath. Etc.

Maybe I was told wrong?

I don't know what your son's disability is, but I would definitely push to have him included in a scout troup if he's interested. Sometimes respite organizations/Easter Seals will help out with an aide to accompany a child to meetings.

The first year my daughter was in sparks (girl guides of Canada) one of the leaders was an EA (inclusion assistant). Behind my back she had a meeting with another mom (a special ed teacher) about my daughter and ways to keep her on track at sparks. They came up with a felt picture board with 6 sections (opening, craft, story, snack, games,closing etc) and at the end of one activity they had her go over to the board and move the felt piece over to the next section. They felt it helped A LOT.

They told me about it after they had put it in place and felt embarassed talking to me about it, like I was going to lose it or something. Believe me I was very grateful that they went to all this effort to keep DD on track.

On a side note, they asked me to stop coming to all of her meetings (and trying to act as DDs aide) since they felt her behaviour was much more on track when I wasn't there.

Not once was I told I could not enrol her. I just felt that by going as her support person that would be enough. But since they asked me not to go, she has gone the last 2.5 years to the girl guide meeting with NO support and they stopped using the picture board at the end of the first year since they felt her behaviour was better.

I have also heard that agencies may be able to provide support for your son. Good luck with whatever you decide
Suzy V.

If the Scouts don't offer a group near your house for disabled children only, then they MUST under the ADA include him in the local Scout group.

Cindy

6_time_Momma, I'd not look back and sign up my DD for a group like that...What a great idea!

I suppose I could get her into brownies/GS stuff...but I am not sure how fair it would be to other girls there... when things get bad. I'd rather have a non-gender specific group of kids, doing what they do, with the scouting ideals as a goal. But, that's just how I see it in my head...what's your mental image?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter