Sun Tan Creams

NIGEL1

Earning My Ears
Can anyone advise me of the best sun tan cream to get for our trip in late November/early December. On previous trips we have used a large bottle of sun screen and after sun we purchased at a welcome meeting in 1997, and whilst these were very good, the $50 price tag was I think a bit excessive. The expiry of the best before date means we will have to get some more, and I would like to know if it is better to wait and go to Wal-Mart (or other outlet), or to take advantage of some of the special offers in Superdrug over here.

Nigel. :D :D :D

hi we have always waited untill we arrive and then go to walmart or k mart they have sun tan lotion a lot cheaper than here, and also a better range of factors, expecially for the kids, dont get it in the parks though the are very expensive, i dont think that the aftersun is much different though, susie2 :jester:

I would leave it and buy it in Walmart when you get there, we are going late Nov early Dec and thats what I'll be doing.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I think I have mentioned a while ago that I like Banana Boat factor 30 sunblock. It's not greasy and I've never burnt whilst using it. It's made by a Florida co. but is available at Tesco and superdrug. (In fact it was on offer a couple of weeks ago in Tesco- 2 bottles for £4.99!!!). I'm taking 5 bottles for 2 weeks should be more than enough for 2 adults and 2 children.

I take mine with me - you may be able to get a good deal on suncream late in the season.
Early in the season I took advantage of a 'buy 2 get one free' from Boots and so was able to buy a 30 and a 15 factor Soltan lotion plus an after-sun - I do love the smell of the Boots range :) !!
I did have to buy a sunblock in one of the parks once - forgot to take some with me and found the back of my neck had started to burn - and it wasn't cheap so if you leave it until you get out there, go to the supernarket first!

The first time in orlando (1989) we attended the welcome meeting hosted by Airtours. As usual they just wanted to extract money for tickets and trips. They had a guy give us all a talk on the sun. He told us it was a different sun than the one we had in Europe! Really! Not a different heat or a different way of shining. No a different star ! Obviously european sun block was ineffective against this beast and we all might as well throw whatever we've brought with us in the bin or take it home and use it in Spain.
Fortunately because we have such concientious reps they had tracked this guy down and guess what. Yes. Exactly!!. This guy has got the REAL stuff. and at less than 4 times the cost of the useless ambre solaire us fools had brought.
He cleaned up big style with the mums cos he made them feel that as soon as their children stepped into the light they would be FRIED alive. In the car, underwater, it didn't matter. FRIED.
S'funny because in the flight back my family using superdrug special offer stuff (£1 a gallon) weren't any less tanned or more burnt than the informed concerned parents who had bought the magic elixir.

:rolleyes:

Ken

In 1997 the airline lost our cases containing our suntan stuff. Expecting the cases to turn up the next day we bought the cheapest sunblock and aftersun that we could find in the nearest supermarket (Goodings). It was called NoAd, cost about $5 and came in large plastic bottles with a dispenser top. The luggage turned up 36 hours later by which time we were so impressed with the NoAd that we continued to use it. It lasted through the holiday with 3 adults using it. We bought it again in 1998 but could not find it in 2000 or in March this year (the particular Goodings supermarket is now a Wyn Dixie - maybe it was a Goodings own brand). Has anyone else tried it - if so where did they buy it? We would like to get some when we next visit in October

I don't know if it's the same stuff but our local Woolworth sell a range called NOAD. It was a bit greasier than banana boat but worked OK. I don't have any now but it may have been American as the packaging was written on in English and Spanish.

I think I saw it again this year - we've only a small store and it's product lines are very seasonal.

Libby

We buy it when its on offer over her. I would stress one point. My DH is fair and burns very easily. If he puts normal sun lotion on his face if he sweats - which he does or it rains the lotion usually gets in his eyes and that is painful. Also the consistancy is too runny for the face. My HUGE tip is. Go down to the Body Shop and buy yourself a face stick from there sun lotion range. It looks like a prit stick. Non sticky and very good , rubs in easily and also can be used rubbed in to scalp if your man has had hair cut too short and lost baseball cap. He won't burn won't whinge and work look like a divvy with white cream on his face looking all shiney.

I'm in WDW just now and we brought Nivea with us, however seems there is something in it that doesn't agree with me, made me itchy so I had to by some Coppertone. Tricia still using the Nivea and she hasn't been burnt by the different sun they have here in the states.

On our first visit to Florida I bought some sun lotion called 'Australian Gold' but guess what its not made in Australia but in Florida - I was attracted to it because it was a spray bottle ( had not seen these in the UK then) and thought that it would be easier to apply to the children. We were very impressed with it the factor 30 was thicker than the milky consistancy of the lower numbered factors but it was very good and none of us burnt whilst wearing it - I now buy a new supply every time we go and have converted my parents to it - my Dad (who has had skin cancer and who is very very fair and blue eyed) swears by it and finds it great even on the more sensative areas where he has radiation burns scars.

Another one who swears by Boots Soltan product.

Funnily enough, while liberally applying said cream in the MK on our first visit ( I burn quite easily) a lovely lady came up and asked if she could borrow some cream as she had forgotten hers and when she saw it was Soltan, she had heard of it. I am sure she was American as well, but I may be wrong on that.

Boots products, I generally find, are sometimes better value and do a better job than other products.

Pete

I have just bought two spray bottles of factor 25 water proof Banana Boat from my local Pound Land. So if you have one handy they are selling lots of different ones for just a £1 each.

I do too Karen. Prickly heat is the bain of my life and has actually spoilt my holiday when I've ended up with it so bad I can't go out! I haven't found anything that prevents it but I have found that Superdrugs own brand of suntan cream reduces it. Last year I bought some Puiz Buin suntan cream specially formulated for skin conditions such as prickly heat and although again it didn't prevent it altogether it was much better.

Still looking for a complete 'cure'!;)

Annmarie

just been reading about prickly heat on the web and it is supposed to get better if you expose skin to the sun for regular short bursts karen

Anneamrie I could solve all your problems. My DH Nic suffers from prickly heat something chronic. In the end we went to Pharmacist at Walgreens to see if there was anything we could buy. They promptly told us to buy some antihystamins. there own brand is the cheapest and works really well. They are very quick in working and are a godsend for Nic. We stock up and bring loads home. Good thing is also you don't get used to them so the efectiveness wears off. Nic has been using for 6 years now and has no problems at all

I suffered from this really badly, it all started in Rhodes 15 years ago. I visited a doctor there who gave me an antihystamin injection. That made it a bit better, but he said that some sun tan lotions clog up your pores and don't allow them to breath. Since then before going on holiday I would ask my doctor for an antihystamin injection. That would keep it to just my arms and hands, but as the holiday went on I found it got better as I adjusted to the heat. I don't know why but since having children 8 years ago I don't get it all. Maybe my hormones are different I don't know, but it is great to have that awfull itching!

I take antihistamine tablets starting from a week before I leave and right up to my return. This does help a lot with controlling the itching but it doesn't actually stop the rash from appearing. I have also been told not to use normal soap or bubble bath or perfume, basically anything scented which a lot of suntan creams are.

Following all these things I have found that it is much more manageable than previous years and no longer spoils my holiday which is the main thing.

Annmarie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter