Sunday after Thanksgiving (11/30/03)

beattyfamily

DIS Cast Member
I just finished booking our resorts today and then it hit me! We'd be going down to WDW the Sunday after Thanksgiving!!!!

Should I change things and leave Boston on Saturday instead?

I've never traveled this close to Thanksgiving before. I worry about crowds, price, and good flights...

If everyone says it's horrible, then I might book a hotel for Saturday night in Orlando like the one in the airport or something...

What do you all think?

Traveling ON Thanksgiving is great, if you don't have plans at home for the holiday. We've been going on Thanksgiving for the last 4 years (but no more because we can't take the kids out of school anymore :( ...DD in honors program in High School...missed too much); we stayed at Universal for 3 nights (MUCH better rates than Disney, for what you get), then moved to Disney on Sunday.

Ugh! I am so going to miss that.
:( :( :(

Thanks for the info.

I've been researching on the Internet (since we can't search here!:( ) and it seems that Saturday and Friday are much better than Sunday for travel so we may have to change our plans a bit and do universal first and arrive in Orlando on Friday. I really don't want to change my DVC resort dates but I can change around our Universal dates to either before or after our DVC stay.

I'm so confused right now!

You'll probably be able to get a better deal on airfare if you are willing to travel on Thanksgiving or the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's what happened to us this past year. Originally planned to arrive on the Sunday after Thanksgiving (we are also DVC members). Airfare was more than $150 cheaper (per person) in airfare if we left on the Friday instead of the Sunday after Thanksgiving. So we left on Friday. Even after subtracting the extra 2 days of hotel (DD Wyndham Palace), the extra 2 days of rental car and the tickets to Cypress Gardens & Bok Tower Gardens, we saved $$. (Well, we did have to feed ourselves for those two extra days, so I can't really say it cost less, but I think it was close, LOL)!

Anyway, my advice is to keep an eye on airfares. That could make your decision easier.

Good luck!

So do most people with Thanksgiving weekend experience think I should change my plans to leave the Friday after Thanksgiving rather than the Sunday after Thanksgiving?

For crowds and for airfare reasons, is Friday better than Sunday? I'm going crazy now wondering what to do. I want to book my universal resort and I need to know what would be best...

I wish the 'seach' function was up and running! That would help me so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter