Susan's Quest for Good Health After a Celiac Diagnosis (comments greatly appreciated)

Happy Friday, everyone!

Just checking in, here. Didn't get my walk in today because I am going to be here until midnight tonight - literally. Working OT again and it's projected we will be here until midnight, but you never can tell. Could finish up earlier or later. Makes me tired just thinking about it, but it will go into the Florida fund, so I can't complain too much! Anyway, I have to work at someone else's desk for most of that time, and then I'll have to take a taxi back to my car, so I didn't think it was going to be practical to be lugging around gym clothes and so forth. Will hit it again on Monday, after I bring in clothes and stuff that can be left here.

Looks to be a busy weekend for me. I won't get home until 1:00 am at the earliest, so I won't be getting up too early on Saturday. Then, we have to grocery shop and take the puppies to the vet for booster shots. I am going to check out Costco - I have never been there, but lots of people on the Budget board say they save money there and I got a flyer in the mail with a free one-day membership, so I think we are going to check it out and see if it might be worth our time to join. Then I have to get to the Dekalb Farmer's Market to get some drunken goat cheese. This is goat cheese that has been soaked in red wine and it is G-O-O-D. In fact, it's the only goat cheese I really like and since Tara and I react badly to dairy, goat cheese is the only kind we can eat without adverse effects. I have tried to find it somewhere else, because the farmer's market is a little bit of a hike from our house (and with gas prices being so high, that's not good), but no one else carries it - so while I'm there, not only am I going to buy a WHOLE WHEEL of drunken goat cheese, I'm also going to get some wheat-free soy sauce, rice noodles, and some really sweet shrimp they carry there to make the trip worthwhile. By the time we do those two shopping trips and the vet visit, Saturday will be gone. Sunday is always a busy day, that's pretty much a given, so I don't know how much de-cluttering I can get done that day. I am hoping to start on my bedroom and spend at least a couple of hours on it, but I'm not sure that will happen. We'll see how it works out.

Hope all of you have a wonderful weekend. Later, chicks!

Susan

Hi Susan,

How did your weekend go? It sounds like you had a late night scheduled on Friday. I hope it went well for you!:goodvibes

Have a great Monday and a wonderful weekend ahead! :hug:

Hi Susan,
Costco is wonderful. My husband does that run about once per month.I never buy meat at the grocery store.

How has the exercise been? Are you and Larry walking?

Hope you have a good week. Keep posting!

Linda

Hello, everyone. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. NOTHING went the way I thought it would this weekend - and it's all Costco's fault! :rotfl:

Okay, so Friday night I worked until 11:00 p.m. By the time I got home and relaxed enough to get to sleep, it was late so I didn't get up Saturday until late morning. Larry and I went to Costco and walked around comparing prices. They had a few good deals, but nothing earth shattering for what we buy - especially since their membership price is fairly high. I have been doing so well at Aldi's that we didn't find a tremendous amount of stuff that was more economical for us. We were debating whether to join up or not when it was pretty much decided for us by one of the people who was offering food samples.

Now, I know that a person with food allergy issues has to be careful with stuff like that, so I generally don't take any food item I am offered without reading the ingredients on the label first. This gentleman was offering samples of four different varieties of smoked sausage, and when he held one out to me, I said no, thank you, I have food allergies. He said what are your food allergies? I said gluten and dairy. He said well, you can't have this variety of sausage because it has soy sauce in it, but the other three are safe. Now, I know I shouldn't have taken his word for it, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Most people don't know that soy sauce has wheat in it, so like an idiot, I accepted that he knew his product and Larry and I sampled the other three varieties. We settled on the one that we liked best, and THEN I thought maybe I'd better double check for dairy since Tara responds so violently to that now (even more than I do, oddly enough). As I'm looking at the ingredients list, I see WHEAT and realized that I had just totally flushed my weekend down the toilet. I looked at Larry and said "I can't eat this - it has wheat in it - and we need to leave right now before I get sick." The gentleman who had so blithely assured me it was safe said "Where does it say it has wheat in it?" I said "Right here" and then walked away before I said something I shouldn't say. Now, I realize that ultimately it is my responsibility to know if something is safe before I eat it, and I have kicked myself a hundred times since then for not reading the ingredients BEFORE I ate the sausage instead of after, but I really did think he was knowledgeable about the ingredients of the product he was representing. So never again will I accept anyone's word for what's in a food product unless it's a chef!

So we headed for the door, and Larry decided that he was going to complain to the manager so that no one else would risk getting sick by taking a product demonstrator's word for what's in their food. I went ahead to the car because I was getting sicker by the minute (yes, that's how fast I reacted). The manager apologized, but said that these folks are not managed by Costco - they are hired by a private company who contracts with Costco for space. So somehow I don't think we'll be joining Costco - just the thought of going back there makes me sick to my stomach. And the rest of my weekend was spent in the bathroom and in bed, so nothing that I needed to do got done - at all. I am still not feeling great, and it's been five days. It is just amazing that I respond so violently to gluten and it takes me so long to get over an accidental exposure. I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it except learn from each mistake I make and try not to eat it at all costs!

I have not done any walks this week because I am going to NC over the holiday weekend to visit family, so I am having to get the things I normally do over the weekend done this week in the evenings after work - and since I didn't get anything done last weekend, that's TWO weekends of work I have to catch up on. So I have been up really late every night this week trying to get the necessary things done (I'm having issues with my dryer, so laundry has not been fun - I think we're going to have to give in and call a repairman when we get home from NC). I am SO exhausted when I get to work that it is all I can do to drag through my day here, but I am hoping next week things will be back to normal and I plan to resume my lunchtime walks.

So tonight I have to make two dinners (one for tonight and one for tomorrow night, since I won't have time to cook before we leave tomorrow), clean the kitchen, fold clothes and finish the laundry (and pray it doesn't take hours to get that last load of clothes dry), and pack. Man, I'm tired just thinking about it. Then tomorrow, I will be up at my usual 5:00 a.m. and we won't get to NC until 2:00 a.m. Friday morning at the earliest, so that's going to be an EXTREMELY long day for me. Then we'll try to make the most of the remainder of Friday and Saturday to visit the folks (on both sides of the family) since Tara will be with us this trip. She hasn't been able to go the last several times we've visited our family due to work conflicts, so she is looking forward to seeing everyone. We are a close family and living two states away is hard on us, but we do the best we can to stay in touch by e-mail and phone calls, and visit as often as possible. Then we will be up early Sunday to drive home so Larry has time to get some sleep before he has to go to work Sunday night. Then back to the grind on Monday for me. Sometimes I wonder why I'm so exhausted all the time - reading this, I SEE why!!! Oh, well, no help for it - it all has to get done somehow, so I just keep plugging along, doing the best I can with it like everybody else.

I probably won't have a chance to post until after we get back, so I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend. I'll try to check in on Monday morning!

Susan

P.S. Linda, no, Larry and I haven't been walking. It seems that for all his efforts, he can't seem to get home from work early enough for us to walk for any productive length of time before I have to go to work. So I am trying to get in walks at lunch time, although this week it hasn't happened as I said above. Still, I'm not giving up! I am still hoping we will be able to walk some together, but I don't know how often. We are both pursuing second incomes in an effort to pay down our debt, so we won't have lots of time or energy for it I'm afraid. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hi Susan,

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened at Costco.:eek: I hope you are feeling much better now.:hug:

I want to thank you for your post in my journal.:hug: It has given me a lot to think about.:goodvibes

I hope you have a wonderful time in NC! Have a safe and Happy 4th of July!:hug:

Susan, I am so sorry to hear about what happened at Costco. I cannot believe that guy so blithely misrepresented a fact that could have cost someone their life, and I am so sorry that you ended up so outrageously sick. I really wish there were something you could have done to report him to his employer and make that contractor aware of how serious that situation is.
I hope you are completely recovered and enjoyed your trip. :goodvibes

Just trying to catch up after a week off the boards. Best laid plans, as you said....

Grrrrr to the Costco/food sample contractor. I don't want to believe people can be so ignorant about the ramifications of bad information but as your experience shows, too many people are. I've had similar experiences with food people claim are vegetarian. I mean, I know it's not the same thing, not even the same ball park as an allergy, but it's just so frustrating. I'm SO sorry to hear about your experience and am impressed at your positive attitude about the experience. (Learning from the mistake vs. planning the contractor's demise in various, colorful ways.)

I hope your holiday weekend was fun and that you, Larry and Tara had fun with the whole family. (I know you all have a great deal of fun with each other!) I also hope you got some much-needed and much-deserved R&R, because I know you're coming back home to a flurry of activity with your job, your independent contracting, your long-term relocation plans, and of course your walking! :goodvibes

Hello, everyone. Thanks SO MUCH for your concern and well wishes. I am feeling okay now, and things have gone back to their normal fast-paced craziness in my life. I appreciate your support more than you know.

The holiday weekend was good. We had uneventful rides to NC and back (always a blessing) and enjoyed our time with family. They were REALLY glad to see Tara - they missed that girl! We had a potential safe food issue the first day we were there, but I was on the job and we avoided it! We had lunch with Larry's sister, BIL and dad at a barbecue buffet. We have eaten there in the past and, for the most part, we know what we can eat there and what we can't. One thing Tara and I really like there is the corn sticks, because they are made from cornmeal and don't have any flour in them, plus they are fried separately from the hushpuppies which do have flour (we asked the kitchen staff to be sure of the preparation process), so they are safe. We chow down on those each time we go because we don't generally get any form of bread in a restaurant and these are REALLY GOOD. So when we went in and started through the buffet, I saw that they had a tin of hushpuppies, a tin of biscuits and a tin of corn sticks. They had a pair of tongs in the hushpuppies and a pair in the corn sticks, but there were no tongs for the biscuits. So I watch as the guy next to me in line picks up the tongs from the corn sticks, uses them to get a biscuit, and then puts the tongs back in the corn sticks. So now, the corn sticks are contaminated. Tara had already made her plate and sat down, so I went over to the table and told her what I had just seen. She stopped eating (she had only taken a bite or two and hadn't touched any food the corn sticks were touching on her plate, thank goodness) and I went back up to the buffet to re-make her plate (since I was already up). I saw that they had put fresh corn sticks out, so I grabbed some napkins and picked some up off the top for her and myself. Whew - potential illness for both of us averted! I'm telling you, it's a job to watch for this stuff, but that's what we have to do to stay well. We are both super sensitive to cross contamination and we try to stay vigilant for it (unless we run into a misinformed food sample worker at Costco;)). My mom made dinner for us the next night and she did GREAT at keeping things uncontaminated for Tara and I - SHE ROCKS!! Now that Stacie has decided to try eating gluten free, she'll get really good at making gluten free foods for the three of us when we're all home to visit!

It was so nice to be able to be together again - I wish I could pick up all the people I love and transplant them to where I am whenever I want - wouldn't that be cool? But I can't, so I have to settle for seeing them as often as I possibly can. The good news is that my parents, Stacie and Matt, and Larry, Tara and I will be together again in less than 2 months at Vero Beach! I will miss my brother (he wasn't home when we visited last weekend - he is a world traveler now and doesn't let grass grow under his feet) because he can't make the beach trip, but I can't wait for the rest of us to be at the beach together - we are going to have a blast. We will have a WHOLE week together and we can hang out on the beach, swim, fish, and just generally have a great time for seven glorious days. I have reserved a beach cottage for all of us and it's going to be SO AWESOME!! I wish we were going tomorrow! I am counting the days.

So when we got home on Sunday, our air conditioning was out. Oh, joy. It's July. In Georgia. Not a recipe for happiness and contentment on the home front. It is fixed now, but that was a rather large unexpected expense I could have done without right now. Oh, well, that's life - what can you do? I put all my stuff together on Sunday night and lugged my clothes and junk in here on Monday, only to find that the secretary who works next to me was out and I had to cover for her - which meant that I had to work longer into my normal lunch/exercise time and didn't get to walk. I managed to gulp down my lunch, but there was no time for anything else. Still, I had all my stuff here, so yesterday I was able to get in and do the walk - and I was glad to be moving. Even though I still really don't like the exercise itself, I stay positive with it by reminding myself that it is something REALLY GOOD for me and the more I do it, the easier it will become (I hope). So today I am going to try to add a few minutes to the time I walked yesterday and progress a little bit that way. I am not giving up my exercise time - even if it is interfered with, I will keep coming back to it because it's that important.

I had to order some special equipment to set up my freelance work successfully, so when that comes in (should be the end of this week), I will be ready to rock with the second income. I'm not looking forward to the extra work, but I am looking forward to the extra bucks. Most of our family conversations revolve around our future Florida move now, so it's cool to see that plan start to work. I am hoping we will be so busy with it the time between now and the actual move will fly by. I have started looking at the real estate market here to see how bad it is, and although houses are not moving as they did before the real estate decline, they are still moving - so it's just a matter of how much recovery will happen between now and the time we are ready to put our house on the market. I am hoping it won't take forever to sell, but that's still a ways in the future. I am such an overplanner, I am already looking at that and we haven't even started working on our house! The plans are in motion for that, too, but we have to get the extra income started before we can do anything substantive to the house. So I'm ready to take it on and get started!

I will try hard to get to everyone's journal today if at all possible. Thanks for keeping up with me, guys! Hope you all have a great day!

Susan

P.S. Hi, Debra! You need a journal, girl - I missed you! Glad to see you back. Thanks for the encouragement - I think any food restriction is as valid as any other, so I am glad you have an understanding of what a challenge this gluten/dairy free thing is. It helps to have someone else to commiserate with when the food issues are not addressed adequately. The good thing is that each time I accidentally eat something I shouldn't, it helps me avoid that situation in the future. So I am getting sick less and less as time goes on, which can't be anything but good. At least I don't have an anaphylactic reaction to food like some people do - not being able to BREATHE in the middle of Costco would have been WAY more serious than what happened to me. Actually, I don't technically have food allergies. Since celiac is an inability to digest gluten (and, in my case, dairy as well - the protein in dairy is almost identical in molecular structure to the protein in gluten), the mechanism is a little different than a true food allergy. But it's too hard to try to explain all that to someone when you are just trying to get safe food, so I use the term "food allergies" for simplicity's sake. I really wish people were more aware of how serious the consequences can be when they assure someone a food is safe for them when it isn't, but I guess a lot of people don't get that unless they have the situation happen to them or someone they love. Anyway, glad to see you - take care!

Whew! What a week Susan.Sounds like you had a great time.How cool to be going to Vero.Too bad your brother will miss out but maybe he will surprise you all who knows!

Yes keep that exercise up! It makes everytihng else in life easier to deal with if you feel good about yourself.

Glad you were on top of things at the buffet!Who knew a sesitivity could be so strong.

Have a good week
Linda

That's wonderful that you and your family will be getting together again and at Vero Beach!:goodvibes

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!:hug:

Hello, everyone. Sorry for the gap in my journal - you know how LTO sometimes, but I'm still here!

So let me start with my exercise. I missed Friday and Monday because I had some serious TOM issues. As I get older, that gets more difficult for me. It is so unfair. I wish we had a switch on the bottom of one foot that we could flip when we are done with having babies and say NO MORE!!! It's at times like this that menopause starts to look attractive to me! Oh, well, such is life.

Now that that's over, I am back in the groove. Bringing all my gym clothes and leaving them here through the week has made this much easier. Yesterday I did my usual 35 minutes and didn't feel totally horrible when I finished. Didn't feel great, but didn't feel totally exhausted, either. So I'm taking that as a positive thing and today I'm going to try for 40 minutes. I don't want to go up on my speed yet because the heart monitor on the treadmill shows that my heart rate is about where it needs to be for fat burning (according to the chart next to the monitor), so I don't really want to mess with that. Fat burning is a good thing!!! So I'm going to keep trudging along, aiming for a walk every day through the week - then if I occasionally miss a day due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm still getting structured exercise four days out of seven (which is much better than I've done in the past). Since I started journaling last fall, it seems that all my exercise efforts have been stymied for one reason or another - illness, injury to my back, etc. - so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this time I can make this a routine and be consistent with it.

My freelance work is finally up and running. I am actually enjoying it - it is very different from what I do during the day, so I welcome the variety. Now I just have to work on my schedule to maximize the hours I can work at it without giving up the vital things (like eating and sleeping :goodvibes). Once I get that worked through and get up to speed with the new equipment, I'm going to start drawing lines through the entries on our dry erase board in the kitchen as we pay off our accumulated debt. Larry is job hunting this afternoon for a second job, also - here's hoping he finds something he likes soon so that we can both work on making this dream happen!

That's about it from my world right now - how many days until our Vero Beach trip???? (I have a counter on my computer at home - I'll have to check when I get home tonight!:thumbsup2)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Susan

Susan! No time for a journal for me--rather read the interesting goings-on in your life than bore everyone with mine.

Just wait until you hit menopause--loads of fun. Of course, I experienced instant menopause, which is a bit different. But those hot flashes, oh my! (I will say that I don't remember the awfulness of TOM, maybe because I suppress such memories. :hug: )

But on to bigger, better news. You've been doing great, just great with exercise. :woohoo: You've found the patterns that work for you in terms of gear and timing. And you're working at the fat-burning HR (yes, ever so important) and adding time. I believe you've been making quick progress, especially given your work and home schedule challenges (new freelance work, commute, household-relocation projects). So great, great news!

And it sounds like the freelance work was a great idea for reasons beyond the move to Florida. I know you well enough to know you enjoy the challenge of new things, so it sounds like the 2nd job is doing double duty. And Larry's looking for a 2nd job, too. I hope he finds something that energizes him. Maybe something that starts soon after Vero Beach. I've never been there & am hoping you'll take pics to share. Is the new puppy/dog coming along for the trip? And how's Tara? (Oh, I'm so nosy, nosy, nosy.... :snooty: )

In gluten news, I told Stacie that I tried a gluten-free brownie at our local Gluuteny bakery--it was really good. Of course, I didn't NEED the brownie and so I used my curiosity as an excuse to indulge, but that's another story. I can't imagine having to switch to doing all my cooking that way, though. (Not much of a cook.)

P.S. I also wanted to let you know I'm so grateful that you take the time to explain Celiac to me. It's not an allergy at all, and I really have no experience that's even close to compare it to. I keep reading all that you have to take into account and it's overwhelming. If I end up eating a meat dish, I get sick for an evening. But that's it, and only if I eat a lot of meat. If you get even ONE bite, you're down for a whole weekend. And that's not including the food preparation and cross-contamination issues--just touching gluten-y foods makes a difference. And I think I remember something about dairy, too. And having to be careful with makeup or body products because they can contain the wrong ingredients?? There's so much to learn--and your stakes are so high. Wow. So again, thanks for educating me. (I realize that you can't hear my tone in this post, but I mean it, seriously. I really like learning new things and becoming a little less ignorant than I was before. :thumbsup2 )

Good morning, everyone. Just wanted to report that I did walk for 40 minutes yesterday. And here's the kicker - I finished my book with almost 10 minutes left to do and I did it without anything to read! Seemed to take 100 years, but I did it. I burned 300 calories and felt okay when I got done. So I'm pretty proud of that - reading and getting into the story helps me get the treadmill time done (even more than music - that's one big reason the treadmill is so much easier for me than walking outside), so kicking out that last 10 minutes without a book (even though it doesn't sound like a big deal or a lot of time) was pretty major stuff for me. I really wanted to hit the 40-minute mark (and then I wanted to hit the 300 calories burned mark, so I went about 10-15 seconds over 40 minutes just for that). I am going to stay at 40 minutes for a few days, I think - because of time constraints, I don't think I can go much beyond 45 minutes anyway (takes too much time to change clothes, walk, shower and re-dress, re-apply makeup, eat lunch and get back to my desk in the time I have if I walk more than 45 minutes). So I'm going to hang at this time for a bit and then go up the 5 more minutes I have available to me. I plan to monitor my heart rate, too, and I'm hoping that eventually I will be able to increase my speed a bit, but for now I'm more concerned with staying in that fat-burning range - after all, I'm not training for an event or anything, I'm just trying to get healthier! I think it's noteworthy that I realized last night how quickly this exercise routine has become a priority for me again. How do I know? Larry kept the car yesterday to second-job hunt (the van uses too much gas to ride around town in), so he picked me up from the park and ride yesterday evening. We had a Bible study meeting last night that starts at 7:30, so I had about an hour to get home, make dinner, eat, change clothes and get to where I had to be. However, the book that I finished that day on the treadmill was my last one, so I had thrown all my books in the car and asked Larry to stop at the library so I could turn them in and check out more. He didn't think I'd have time, but I flew in the library, threw my books in the return bin, raced through my favorite section, grabbed a few books, checked them out and was back in the car in 5 minutes!! (I know, I timed myself. :goodvibes) I still made the meeting on time, and I felt good knowing I had a new book to bring with me today for my walk. So I think that's pretty cool - planning ahead for something means you value it enough to make sure it happens, and that's the proof that you're serious about getting it accomplished!

Okay, enough patting myself on the back. The rest of this post is going to be addressed primarily to Debra's comments above and the celiac issue, so if you're not interested in that, you have my permission to stop reading now!!:lmao:

Hi, Debra!:goodvibes I totally understand where you're coming from. I like to learn about new things, too, so if what I'm about to tell you is more than you wanted to know about my life with celiac, it's your own fault - you asked for it!!;) And I have to say, I'm majorly impressed that you remembered all of the stuff I've said about celiac already - I am honored that you care enough to take that much time over my ramblings!

I had never heard of celiac disease until early spring of 2007, when my doctor diagnosed me with it. When I started on this new dietary path, all I knew was that I needed to avoid wheat, barley, rye and oats. It seemed simple enough - little did I know! The internet is a great thing - I learned a tremendous amount by reading about others' experiences. What I didn't learn by reading, I learned through my own personal experience and a lot of trial and error. Everyone is a little different. Some people respond more violently to certain foods than others. For instance, while Tara and I both get sick when we encounter gluten cross contamination and/or sloppy food preparation issues, I respond much more violently than she does. She has diarrhea and nausea for a few hours and then she's okay (not that she or I want that to happen - it's certainly not pleasant no matter what - but it is usually a matter of a few hours for her). I am in the bathroom and bed for at least one whole day, and usually still don't feel well for one more day. If we accidentally eat a gluten-containing food (like the Costco debacle), she is down in bed for one full day and doesn't feel well for another day. I am down in bed for at least two days and don't feel well for another 2-3 days. With the dairy, I have diarrhea and nausea for a few hours, but then I'm okay. She gets violently ill and stays that way for at least 1-2 days. So there's no way to predict the severity of a reaction or how long it will last until it happens. Then you pretty much know what you're in for once you discover an accidental exposure.

Sometimes I get the feeling that there are those who think I go a little overboard with the vigilance for cross contamination issues (not anyone in my family or on the boards, by any means, just casual acquaintances that I might chat with at work or wherever). I don't think they understand how easily contamination can happen and how sick it makes us. The way I explain it (to those who really want to understand the problem) is this: The last time you bought a bag or box of croutons for salad, did you notice what was left at the bottom when you finished them? Yep, lots of "dust" - fine, powdery, gluten-containing dust. And while all gluten-containing foods don't have "dust" you can see, gluten can be transferred from all of them very easily - from a cooking surface (grill or pan), from cooking oil (when a food is fried behind a gluten-containing food), from a food preparation surface (counter, cutting board, mixing bowl), from a TOASTER (remember my toaster story from our last WDW trip??) - lots of ways. So each time Tara or I get sick, we try hard to figure out how it happened so we can avoid the problem in the future. That's the only way to make our food supply as safe as possible for us - trial and error.

So back to my journey with this. As I said above, I started out avoiding the "big four" and thought I was doing fairly well with it pretty quickly. I learned what to look for on food labels (things like malt, which is made from barley - so no malt vinegar, ready-made cereals (since even rice-based cereals have malt in them), candy with malt in it (like Milky Way candy bars), etc.). I also learned that MSG was something we needed to stay away from, since we seem to be fairly sensitive to that, as well. As I cut out items that contained gluten (and eventually dairy), I started to feel better - my doctor calls this "reducing the load." This means that you are reducing the foods that your body doesn't digest normally, and allowing your digestive function to begin slowly returning to normal. As my body began to respond to my new way of eating, it became more apparent to me when I would accidentally ingest something that contained gluten because I started getting sick - really sick. It was like now that my body had experienced being rid of the nasty stuff ;) it didn't want to have to deal with it ever again. The first time I got sick from gluten exposure after I started eating gluten-free was when we went out for our anniversary - three weeks after the start of my new way of eating. We went to a restaurant that had a gluten-free menu on their website, which I printed and took with me. I didn't know then that I needed to talk to a manager, so I just told the server what I needed and thought that was all I had to do. Well, the kitchen messed up my food somehow (I don't know if it was in the preparation or what - I didn't see a problem with the food itself, but they apparently did not follow proper precautions when making it) and I was sick as a dog the next day. That's when I realized that this gluten-free thing was going to be much harder than I thought when I started with it!

Here are some things that have happened to us that underscore why the cross-contamination thing is so important:

We ordered Chinese food one night several months ago, and when we got it they had included a bag of cheese wontons with it. We did not order them, so we don't know if they put them in the wrong order or if they were a freebie. At any rate, Tara LOVES cheese wontons. She had only been eating gluten free for a short time at that point, and she was so heartbroken that she couldn't eat them. She took one out of the bag and smelled it, looking at it longingly (yes, we love our food at my house!!). She gave me a look like "Would it really hurt to have just one?" I smiled and said, "Your call, sweetie" but she knew she would be sick, so she heaved a deep sigh and put the wonton back in the bag. Larry ate a couple of them and we threw the rest away. Only thing was, she didn't wash her hands before she ate the gluten-free meal we had ordered for she and I - so she got sick anyway. She was so mad! "I didn't eat the stupid wonton and I still got sick - I should have just eaten it!" Of course, I reminded her that if she had realized she should wash her hands before she ate, she wouldn't be sick, but I did understand where she was coming from! So now, we try to avoid even handling gluten-containing food - for instance, if Larry wants a sandwich and I am already standing at the kitchen counter, I would normally make it for him since I'm already there. But now I don't, and he doesn't want me to, because of the danger of handling the bread and then getting my hands near my mouth before I remember to wash them.

She and I have both gotten sick from using mayonnaise and peanut butter that Larry had previously used for sandwiches for himself, where he stuck the knife into the jar after touching the bread (to get more mayonnaise or peanut butter for his sandwich), thus leaving gluten in the jar. Now we have two jars of peanut butter (we like crunchy and he likes creamy, so that's not much of a hardship) and he always remembers to use a spoon for mayonnaise and shake the mayonnaise off the spoon so that it falls onto his bread, then uses a knife to spread it, thus not touching the bread with the spoon in case he needs more.

She and I both got sick after eating a chicken salad with walnuts at Steak 'n Shake, but that wasn't their fault. I did not check out the ingredients list on their website as closely as I should have. The salad had grilled chicken, veggies and walnuts. Should have been fine, right? Wrong! It had CANDIED walnuts, which have flour in the candied coating. Who knew? We know now!

And of course, you already know about the infamous toaster incident alluded to above. So while it does seem overwhelming at first, I just take it one "incident" at a time and once you weave that experience into your life, you know what you're looking for and it just becomes what you do. As for the makeup and personal hygiene stuff, I first learned about that from the internet and it is important, too. Here's why: One person I read about had a reaction from a lipstick. It had wheat germ oil in it as a source of vitamin E. Oatmeal is in some body wash and hair care products, and that can present a problem. That's just two examples I can think of off the top of my head. Now, it's true that gluten has to be ingested to cause us harm - it is not absorbed through the skin. However, think about how easy it would be to have soap or shampoo on your hands and brush your mouth accidentally. An even more likely scenario is this: you use facial cleanser, moisturizer and/or makeup products with gluten in them, and someone who has celiac kisses you on your cheek. Now they potentially have gluten on their lips - not a good thing. And since we are very demonstrative in our family, Tara and I kiss each other on the cheek at least twice a day - sometimes more if we feel like it - so we would be doing ourselves a huge disservice not to address this potential problem.

Whew! That was a lot of information, but it is a glimpse into how we go about this gluten/dairy free business. Thanks again for caring enough to be interested! And as for the gluten free brownie (glad you liked the one you tried!), I use a gluten free/dairy free brownie mix I found at Kroger (Whole Foods also has it) that you make with eggs and vegetable oil. The brownies are very good, but the mix is pretty expensive (and I certainly don't need the extra calories), so we only have them as a treat on rare occasions.

And as for your "nosy" questions, LOL, Tara is doing well, thank you for asking. She is busy with her job, but enjoys the work. It is interesting that she is the youngest one on the staff, but she seems to be the one they depend on when anyone needs help. She works with a few people who have issues with stepping up to the plate when the workload gets heavy, but I guess that's true everywhere. She is slowly learning that, while her patience with these folks wears thin, all she can do is the best job she can do and then leave it behind her when she comes home. She must be doing okay - every time we take our animals in for shots/check-ups, the vet raves and raves about what a great job she is doing. And, of course, Larry and I think she's wonderful anyway, so we eat that up!!

As for taking Boo to the beach, never in a million years! My side of the family are not animal people, and it would not go well if we were to bring any four-legged friends with us. To be honest, I'm not an animal person either, but I've learned to put up with it because the alternative is to get a divorce and start over, and after 24 years together, that for sure ain't happenin'!! So Boo will get boarded with the other animals, and although she won't like it, she will be fine until we get home - her mom will see to it that she gets the best care possible, and with her work contacts, she can do that!

Wow, I wrote another book today. Oh, well, it's not like you didn't see it coming! Hope everyone has a great day - I'll check in again soon.

Susan

Hi Susan,
Pat yourself on the back all you want.The change in you over these months is evident to anyone who has been reading along.
I am jealous you guys are planning to pack up and head south and work with the mouse.Sounds like a dream come true to me.
How do you get a workout in on lunch hour?I would be a drowned rat and never be able to get back to work.

Have a great day,
Linda

Hi Susan, how's it going pretty princess? Just wanted to pop in and say Hi:flower3: while I was over her updating my journal.

Visiting Panda

Hi, guys. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Linda - It is challenging to get in the work out at lunch, but there is a huge fan mounted near the ceiling in the locker room. When I shower, I leave the sliding glass door to the cubicle cracked to let the steam escape a bit. Then when I am dressed, I open it all the way up while I am packing up my stuff so that the circulating air can help me cool down (plus I rinse off with REALLY cold water just before I step out of the shower - that helps cool me down quickly, too). Then when I am washing and moisturizing my face and brushing my hair, I am directly under the fan, so that helps. I have to turn it off when I put on makeup, because I use mineral makeup and it would blow everywhere but on my face if I didn't, but by then I am usually semi-cooled off. By the time I get in the cafeteria and eat lunch, I am usually pretty comfortable.

Hi, Dave - thanks for stopping by!

Well, I had a busy, productive weekend. I am pretty tired today, but I am glad not to be laying in bed all weekend wishing I could get things done. I worked quite a bit this weekend, but I made pretty good $ for Saturday and Sunday, so I'm not complaining. I'm hoping to pick up more work as I go along to increase the amount of side income I'm bringing in, but for the first full week I haven't done too badly. It's challenging to fit in the things I have to do around the hours I need to work, but so far I'm getting the absolutely necessary stuff done, so I'm pretty happy with that. I think it's going to work out okay if I can just keep my energy level up high enough to get everything accomplished each week!

Unfortunately, Larry did not feel well at all this weekend, so he was pretty much down for the count Saturday and Sunday. He is having some chronic, nagging health issues that concern me, so I am going to make him an appointment with the naturopathic physician that I see so that he can recommend the correct supplements to take and explore other avenues to help him feel better. Tara was also not feeling well yesterday. We had to leave our Bible study meeting early because she was sick. She ended up throwing up most of the day. I am not feeling so hot myself today, so I am afraid I may be catching it too. I hope not - I haven't had any vomiting, but my stomach doesn't feel great, I have a headache and I am really wrung out today. I am hoping that's just because my weekend was so busy - I don't have time to be sick! I've been taking Emergen-C like it's going out of style, trying to fight off whatever this is. Stuff like this usually goes right through all three of us, so I hope this time is an exception. Stomach bugs are the worst!

I'm still going to try to walk today even though I'm not feeling well, but I'm thinking I may only do 20 minutes or so. Enough to feel like I did something, but not enough to tax my system. We'll see how it goes.

Hope all of you have a great weekend! I'll check in again later in the week.

Susan

Hey there! Too bad to hear about Larry and Tara being sick. ugh.

Glad you got some extra work done over the weekend though. That's good news! :thumbsup2 More $$ for the Florida Fund! Yippe!

I'm really proud of you for getting your workouts in mid-day during lunch. I think that is a great routine for you. I wish I could do mine at lunch.

I hope the stomach bug bypasses you this time! Crossing my fingers for you.

TTYL!
Stacie

It sounds like you got a lot done this weekend. Great job Susan!:goodvibes

I'm sending get well :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for your DH and Tara. I hope they are feeling better soon!:goodvibes

Have a great week!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter