• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swan/Dolphin v Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk?

The Swan/Dolphin are great hotels that feel as Disney to me as any of the YC/BC or BWI. We love the truly comfortable beds, free bottled water in the rooms, great dining options, gorgeous grotto pool, Disney transportation, EMH, 60 day FP+, car rental availability, points program (SPG), newly refurbished rooms and somewhat better prices (fees included).

One of the big perks for me is the ability to book a room with a balcony with a view of Illuminations at the Dolphin. Sure, you can get views of Illumination at the Epcot Disney resorts, but it is a request and is NOT guaranteed. I have only managed to get that view twice out of about 14 stays in BWI, BC/YC. Get that view every time that I stay at the Dolphin and choose to book that view. I like knowing in advance if I will have it or not. If I do not have the view, I pay less at the Dolphin. That works for me either way.

Another thing that they do at the Dolphin is compensate you if you decline housekeeping via points or a cash credit. I know that Disney is now testing this as well, but they have been doing this at the Dolphin for years now.

We now stay at the Swan our Dolphin on almost every trip to WDW and usually pay about what we would have paid to stay in the moderate category in a Disney owned resort. The savings pay for our meals (OOP, two of us) so it is like an everything included dining plan with no points to keep track of! (Full disclosure: We aren't big eaters and lean toward vegetarian, don't drink and have water out of choice with meals)

WE enjoy staying at these resorts.

Any opinion on Swan Dolphin over the other onsite Boardwalk area hotels? They all have 60 day ride planning. From what I can tell, Swan/Dolphin looks about $100 a night cheaper, although it's of course not "Disney."

Besides the price difference, any opinions why one over the other would be great.

Many thanks.
The Yacht & Beach Club have a phenomenal pool complex, Stormalong Bay, that includes a huge waterslide, lazy river, sandy-bottom pool, etc. The Boardwalk pool has a very big spiral water slide. So they both have pool complexes that S & D can't compete with.

And of couse, they are full-on Disney hotels so they get 100% of the Disney perks, and you stay immersed in the Disney theming while you're there. There's nothing wrong with S&D that I know of, but that's why Disney's Epcot resorts are more expensive.

Btw, WDW resorts are almost always available for a discount, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to their rack rate prices. We never pay rack rate. Look at their discounted rates (available beginning a few months before the season) instead. Deluxes get the biggest discounts, typically 25% - 35% off.

The Yacht & Beach Club have a phenomenal pool complex, Stormalong Bay, that includes a huge waterslide, lazy river, sandy-bottom pool, etc. The Boardwalk pool has a very big spiral water slide. So they both have pool complexes that S & D can't compete with.

And of couse, they are full-on Disney hotels so they get 100% of the Disney perks, and you stay immersed in the Disney theming while you're there. There's nothing wrong with S&D that I know of, but that's why Disney's Epcot resorts are more expensive.

Btw, WDW resorts are almost always available for a discount, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to their rack rate prices. We never pay rack rate. Look at their discounted rates (available beginning a few months before the season) instead. Deluxes get the biggest discounts, typically 25% - 35% off.

However, I need a 50% off sale to get Disney in line with Starwood for the days I looked at.

Disney hotel pricing is completely out of line with their hotel quality

However, I need a 50% off sale to get Disney in line with Starwood for the days I looked at.

And I bet that comparison isn't even taking into account this perk:

a REAL reward program that you can use for FREE stays

I totally get why people insist on staying at Disney resorts. (I used work at the Disney Reservations Center where I trained Cast Members how to persuade callers that Disney Resorts are worth the price.) But, I think many people fail to understand the benefits of frequent guest programs.

I tend to concentrate on Hilton-branded properties. Almost solely from staying at Hiltons on trips to Disney World, I've earned enough points for a six-night stay at the DoubleTree Suites adjacent to Disney Springs over New Year's. It's free because I'm using points, but the equivalent value in dollars is probably over $1,400.

But, to each his or her own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter