Swimming with the Dolphins

tinkerbell1967

DIS Veteran
I have just found out about this and it sounds really interesting to do. Has anyone every done this? Is it worth the money? It would be my DH, DD, and myself. Any information would be helpful !

No doubt about it, Discovery Cove is expensive. So I think your questyion is perfectly logical. Here's how I answered it in my guidebook, "The Other Orlando": (

Is It Worth It?

The simple answer is, “Absolutely!” The more considered answer is, “That will depend on your own very personal cost/value analysis.”

For many people, just the dolphin interaction would be worth nearly $199. I heard one woman say, after patting a dolphin’s tail fluke, “If that’s all I got to do, it would have been worth it.” For quite a number of people I met at Discovery Cove, swimming with a dolphin is an almost spiritual experience and questions of cost are beside the point. Others will have a far more jaundiced approach to the subject and I suspect you know who you are.

For those who may be uncertain, let me attempt to persuade you of what a good value Discovery Cove really is. Just understand that I am a bit prejudiced because I love the place.

First, Discovery Cove is far more than swimming with the dolphins (which, I must point out, occupies less than 30 minutes of your stay there). A day at Discovery Cove is like a visit to a very posh resort on a faraway tropical island. The only reminder that you are still in Orlando is the top of the SeaWorld Sky Tower peeking over the top of the palm trees. You get to snorkel with stingrays and along a coral reef populated with more colorful fish than you’re likely to see in the Caribbean itself; plus, you’re virtually guaranteed a shark sighting. You will also have a chance to visit a jungle paradise where gaudily plumaged birds perch on your shoulder and eat from your hand. A day here can be a much-needed escape from the hustle and bustle of tourist Orlando and that, surely, is worth something.

And Discovery Cove’s admission price is pretty much all-inclusive. Parking is free (other parks typically charge $6 or $7). A very good lunch is included (approximately a $20 value). The food you feed the dolphins, rays, and birds is also on the house (SeaWorld charges $3 for a small tray of fish). Lockers are free, too (other parks charge several bucks for the same in and out locker access). Towels, snorkels, masks, and wet suits are also included; most water parks charge a rental fee for ‘extras’ like these.

Remember, too, that not every member of your family has to swim with the dolphins; in fact, some may have no interest at all. Sometimes wives will swim while husbands look on or kids will frolic while grandparents videotape the action from the shore. And since the non-swim package is about $90 less than the all-inclusive option, the savings can be considerable.

Best of all, admission to Discovery Cove includes seven consecutive days admission to SeaWorld. If you are not swimming with the dolphins, the price of admission gives you eight days of theme park fun for less than $14 a day! Even with the dolphin swim you are looking at a per day cost of less than $25. Not too shabby.

Here is another comparative exercise: If you take a cruise to the Bahamas, you can purchase a shore excursion that lets you snorkel and swim with dolphins and stingrays. The total cost for this experience through one cruise line (minus the expertise of Discovery Cove’s trainers, of course) was recently $173. The cost of the cruise, needless to say, is not included.

Of course, there’s no way of escaping the fact that $199 is a lot of money. Otherwise, why would I have to go through this lengthy explanation to justify the cost? Unfortunately, the price will put Discovery Cove out of reach for many families. Still, the fact that Discovery Cove is booked solid many months in advance is proof that, so far at least, there are plenty of takers.

kellymonaghan and robvia:
Thank you so much for the wonderful, in depth descriptions and facts about this! We are definately going to do this now! I can hardly wait!

Can I bother you both with another question? How far in advace would you suggest we book this? We are doing our trip to FL in September and are looking to do this most likely Sept 20 of this year.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

I think the best advice is to book as soon as your dates are firm.

Another tip: do the dolphion swim early in the morning. There's a theory that the dolphions are friskier and more interested in interacting with humans earlier in the day.

Thanks for your descriptions! I want to do this so bad! Last year we swam with the sharks in Typhoon Lagoon, but I'd much rather swim with the dolphins!:)

Tinkerbell 1967
Went to DC in Oct 01. Overall it was a great experience (DS is 8, DD is 6.) They loved the dolphin interaction but enjoyed every other part of the park just as well; especially the snorkeling. Just a few drawbacks that I will list: Upon arrival we waited in quite a line to get in to the registration desk. The computer was "down" and we had to redo pictures for the ID tags. Then another long wait for the gear once inside. If your children think they may want the wetsuits, get them immediately. They were not being offered, only given if asked for them. Our kids decided they wanted them after they already had the other gear on so another long wait in line. Pro. photographers take pics during your dolphin interaction, and you are brought to a small tent immediately after your swim and shown the pictures to purchase. My DH was very dissapointed in DC's approach to selling the pics. Before your interaction they are so interested in you as a family but afterward it is straight to the tent and "let's take more of your money" attitude. This was hard to swallow considering the admission price. Those were the drawbacks. We stayed the whole day and the park definitely clears out about midway through the day so stay if you can. Any specific questions just let me know!
ZuZugal

Correct. You must arrive early otherwise the experience is spent waiting in line after line. I said that over and over in just about every one of my posts. I suggest people arrive at 08:30am so you can be first at the door. That means you need to try to be there at 08:00am, and with delays, you'll be there at 08:30am. If your dolphin swim is early, they'll let these people in even before 9am so they can get ready. Yeah, they had computer problems with me too, the badge printers went down, and it caused a backup. People are very anxious to get in.
And yes, if you want a wet suit, you must ask for it at the gear station, otherwise, a long line forms and you can't get one. You get used to the water, so it's not required.
There is a limit of 1000 people, but if they all arrive at the same time, need a badge, then need to pick up their required vest, mask, snorkle, and optional fins, then a line will form.
That's why it's good to arrive at 08:30am, and stay one step ahead of the crowd.
Same thing for the lunch time, eat at 11am or 2pm, but not noon.

I don't think the early morning dolphin swim really matters. Ours was at 11am and it was great. We had the first afternoon swim and when we arrived, I asked that it be moved up and they bumped it up a little bit. They switch out dolphins for each group. The new ones coming in are excited because they know they're going to interact with more people. In the summer, it can matter because it usually rains in the afternoon. But if you don't get a first morning slot, then don't worry about it.

How far in advance to book reservations? I'd say at least 3 months. Go on their web site, register and then you can see a calendar that shows which time slots have been filled up. Don't worry, they won't bug you with e-mails.

Pictures, yeah, it's a little bit weird how they do it. They claim you have to buy a package in the tent. But if you go out afterwards to the picture stand, you can buy single prints. We bought the 3 picture package with the snow globe, and then bought an extra picture afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter