TA for cruise

Why should we convince you? Follow what you want to do.
We don't use TA. Too many horror stories of TA not sending money in, going out of business, not meeting deadlines or relaying requests. Even getting answers wrong to basic questions. There's another thread on this board right now talking about the latter. I want to know things are done and done right.
I used a TA once for a Disney Vacation. He was cordial but clearly wanted off the phone as fast as possible. It's very different calling DCL.
Also when I call DCL I don't want to hear " you have to call your TA"
That's not all TAs, though. Yes, some are less than knowledgeable, but some are. Some aren't responsive/responsible, and some are. If you find the right TA they can be very helpful.

You do you, of course. My point is simply that "there are horror stories of TAs not sending money, not meeting deadlines, etc." is not a great argument to not use a TA, because not all TAs are like that.

That's not all TAs, though. Yes, some are less than knowledgeable, but some are. Some aren't responsive/responsible, and some are. If you find the right TA they can be very helpful.

You do you, of course. My point is simply that "there are horror stories of TAs not sending money, not meeting deadlines, etc." is not a great argument to not use a TA, because not all TAs are like that.
Oh of course you are right. But that's some of my reasoning.
Now I would be open to trying a TA if i find that perfect one. I can google and read reviews. That hasn't proved helpful. Are there professional sites or licensing sites that offer ranking or evaluations?
It's too much money and priceless limited vacation days to have mistakes made and just say "Ill find someone else next time."
Of course there are great recommendations for the sponsors of these boards.

I do not expect a response because that would divert this thread from the OP. I'm just sharing some thoughts.

Now I would be open to trying a TA if i find that perfect one. I can google and read reviews. That hasn't proved helpful. Are there professional sites or licensing sites that offer ranking or evaluations?
It's too much money and priceless limited vacation days to have mistakes made and just say "Ill find someone else next time."

I do not expect a response because that would divert this thread from the OP. I'm just sharing some thoughts.
Thanks, that's is my fear I'll get someone too busy bc they are so good or have a lot of regulars, or someone just starting out without the contacts, or hard to get ahold of.etc .I'm having trouble letting go. But is my control worth more than the OBC $$?
I appreciate everyone's input.

As others have said, a big reason to use a travel agent would be on board credit (OBC). The amount depends on how much your total cruise price is, but many TA's offer it. OBC is basically like a gift card. Your onboard account is given, say $50, from your TA and you can use that for any on board purchase without having to charge your credit card.

I'm like you in that I kind of like mapping and planning everything out for a vacation but the TA can offer some inside info and tips that you may not know about on top of the OBC.

I am not aware of a place to find grievances (or recommendations) for TAs. A place like BBB may rate the agency, but not necessarily the individual you work with.

Unfortunately, there are both extremes of service reported for the agents who work for Dreams Unlimited. If someone mentions one by name as a good agent, there is a better chance they will deliver good service - but not a guarantee.

Thanks, that's is my fear I'll get someone too busy bc they are so good or have a lot of regulars, or someone just starting out without the contacts, or hard to get ahold of.etc .I'm having trouble letting go. But is my control worth more than the OBC $$?

For me, I haven’t opted for $ over control. I tend to decide things after normal business hours. And I don’t have specific needs that require/ would be better handled by someone else. (And, yes, I have used a TA a few times for a cruise. With the internet and the ability to book airlines and international hotels, I just don’t feel the need for a TA anymore.)

Adding an additional step/person in most processes is more an annoyance than a help for me.

It really is personal preference. Like buying Disney gift cards with a Target Red Card to save 5%. Or even the “need” some feel for a balcony. It is what you feel comfortable doing.

A good TA will not accept new clients if their 'portfolio' can't handle it. They'll prioritize their existing clients, making sure those needs are met, over just adding more and more people. No, not all TAs will do that, as some will take any client they can get to make more money. But a good TA will keep their portfolio balanced.

I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of someone who's just starting out, as long as they're part of a reputable agency. Every TA was new at some point, and they had to work to build up their reputation. The reason I say a new person should be with a reputable agency is because then they can ask for help. If they're new and they don't know something, they have easy access to resources so they can learn and better serve you. Someone new who's just starting out on their own won't have that. They may be great, they may not, but it's a bit more of a crapshoot.

Only you can decide if the OBC is worth losing (a bit) of control. For me, (as someone who likes control) it is. But each person has to answer that for themselves.

A TA is great when you have problems. You don't have to spend a lot of your time on the phone correcting things.
We had a cruise scheduled once and we were at WDW before the cruise when we were notified of a change of itinerary 3 days before we were to sail. It was a COMPLETE change! No port was going to be the same. It was not long after Covid. We did not like the new itinerary and another couple we were going to meet on board canceled their plans so we rescheduled to the Dream, and this was just 2 days before it sailed. Our TA made it happen!!!
We didn't have to call Disney, we just let the TA arrange things.

After doing this though, I would not do it again. It was too close to sailing date and Disney had trouble locating us in the system. We also decided afterwards we should have stayed with our original cruise, even though we didn't like the itinerary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter