• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking a Tour of DL?

SA53

DIS Veteran
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had taken a DL tour? We will be 4 adults, dd 5 and ds 9. I was looking at Discover the Magic tour but is it too geared to kids? Are the other tours too adult skewed? Is this a good use of time? We are there for 5 days so I think we have the time to do it. Also, when would you do the tour? At the beginning or save it for a special treat mid week. We will be there in March so will this be too busy a time? Do the tours fill up or do they just keep adding people until it is time to go? Also, are there different times to choose from (I couldn't find that on the Disney site)?

Any help would be great as we have never been to DL and probably won't be back anytime soon. :cheer2:

TIA

K in SA

We did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour strictly as an adult's only thing last year. It was a GREAT tour, and gave us lots of information we didn't know---which is saying something considering all four of the adults on the tour are Disney addicts.

I will tell you the one child on our tour was very bored. She looked around 6 yo. Don't know anything about the tour you mentioned.

Enjoy your trip!

DH and I have done 2 tours (no kids) : Walk in Walt's Footsteps and 50th Anniversary Tour. We loved them both and thought they were well worth the money. I don't remember any kids on the Walt's Footsteps tour (it was 4 yrs ago). While it was very good, I don't think it's really kid oriented. DH, my parents and I were the only people on the 50th tour last Nov. We went on 3 rides/attractions--4 if you include train (from 3 of the 5 decades of DL), you watch the DL movie w/ the tourguide, each person in tour gets a tour group photo by front gates, a light up pin, and we had priority seating for the afternoon parade--roped off section with chairs just for the tour group plus snack box for each person. We got lots of attention from the parade performers (my dad (64) still talks about Belle waving and smiling just to him) :love: .

There are different times for the tours, if you call Disneyland reservations they should be able to tell you times for each tour, length of the tour and what is included.

If you have never been to DL I would recommend a tour as one of the first things you do. It will give you (and the kids) a good intro and layout to the park. The Welcome to Disneyland might be a good tour for you too since you haven't been there before.

The tours can, and do, fill up. We got lucky that we were the only ones on our tour, it was the Sat. before Thanksgiving and the park was pretty busy. I would recommend making a reservation before getting there, especially since your group would fill 1/2 a tour. I believe most tours have a max of 16 people.

Hopefully someone who has done the Discover tour will post. I think if you do a tour more geared for kids the adults will still have fun too. The tour guides are extremely knowledgeable and you could ask them lots of questions as the tour goes along.

I hope you have a wonderful time at DL!

We (me, DH, DD11 and DS7) did the 50th Anniversary Tour in Dec. our first night there. We were sleep deprived and jet lagged, but LOVED the tour. Great intro to the magic of DL! The park was packed, so this was also a wonderful way to get on major attractions (Buzz, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates) with no waiting. ALso got great seats for the fireworks show. My kids liked it (what they can remember of it--they were exhausted!). Have a great trip! :sunny:

P.S. to the OP--We're going to San Antonio for Spring Break! Any recommendations of places to visit? (Sorry for the hijack)

I just booked Walk in Walt's Footsteps for next month. I did the Backstage Magic tour at WDW and it was awesome. I am really looking forward to this tour. I am thinking of doing the Discover the Magic tour for the kids, since I am the only one doing WIWF.

Now I am really looking forward to going!

To Disney Dotty,

When is your Spring Break? Ours here is March 13-17 so both Seaworld and 6 Flags will be open all week. After that they are only open on the weekends until summer season kicks in. Go to their website for exact dates. The Alamo (of course you must visit it!!!) is right downtown by the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk winds through downtown and has great restaurants. Beware strollers or wheelchairs as it has many stairs and bridges. If you want a kind of upscale restaurant we love Boudros (by upscale I mean price, not dress as everything here is very casual). A new Rainforest Cafe opened on the Riverwalk last week if you like it there. There is a neat mission tour that takes you to the 4 missions located in San Antonio (the Alamo is not the largest or the oldest). Schlitterbaun is located in New Braunfals just outside of San Antonio and is rated the best water park in the USA!! I am not sure when it opens though... The Gulf of Mexico is about a 2 hour drive south and has beautiful beaches--the weather should be in the 80's by then so we are always in the water (note: we are transplanted Canadians so are usually the only ones swimming in the ocean in March... :jumping1: ) I hope this gets you started.

K in SA :welcome:

The adults will be bored on the Discover the Magic Tour, but the kids will enjoy it. The only we could do it during our trip was the day my In-laws and paretns were also at the park, so we had three kids and 8 adults (my two BIL's were there too) and I feel we missed out on the fun with all the adults. Our kids say they enjoyed it, so maybe 1-2 adults could do this with the kids while the others do one of the other tours.

Is the 50th Anniversary Tour still available this year? I went to the DL site and couldn't find it.

pxlbarrel said:
Is the 50th Anniversary Tour still available this year? I went to the DL site and couldn't find it.

I'm interested in the answer to this question also. I'm planning a May trip. I also don't see reference to the 50th Anniversary tour on the Disneyland web site.

I'm interested in any tour that will get me good seating for the fireworks without my having to camp out for 2 1/2 hours.

-Shawn

The 50th Anniversary Tour wasn't listed on the Disney site last year, either. I found out about it through the Disboards, and then called the tour number (sorry-can't recollect it right now) to book it.
I suggest calling Disneyland and ask to be connected to tours, then ask all your questions there. There are different times for the tours, different things you do on the tour depending on the time of the tour. :sunny:

It's called "Imagination to Celebration" tour when you talk to the tour ticket reservationist.

MsYumiBr said:
It's called "Imagination to Celebration" tour when you talk to the tour ticket reservationist.

oooooooooh...ok. I hope they still have it when we go in August. Do I call 60 days in advance?

And one more question...ummm...how much is it? It may come down to choosing this or the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet... :confused3

I think they are about the same price. You need to reserve 30 days out (or a month (i.e. 31 days) depending on who you talk to). We will be doing both in a month so I will have a better answer for you.

I just emailed DL about the tours and here is the info they sent me back... :thumbsup2

The Disneyland Resort is pleased to offer many different tours. We are sure there are several that
you will find appealing. We will list basic information that applies to all tours in the next
paragraph, with more specific information on each tour below.

Basic Tour Information:
* Tour times and days vary on availability and season. Except for VIP tours, please call Ticketing &
Reservations at (714) 781-4400 for availability.
* Based on availability, tours can be translated in Spanish and Japanese with at least two weeks
notice.
* All tours accommodate wheelchairs and strollers.
* All tour Guests ages three and older must purchase a tour ticket, in addition to a park admission
ticket.
* All attractions, shows, and experiences are subject to availability.
* Any and all discounts are subject to availability.

"Welcome to Disneyland" Tour
----------------------------
Experience some of the most popular attractions, shows and interactive experiences - and pick up
helpful "insider" tips and fun facts - as you make your way through Disneyland and Disney's
California Adventure theme parks. If you want to make the most of your visit the Disneyland Resort,
this tour is a great way to start.

Highlights:
* Boarding on three pre-selected attractions while on tour.
* Fun facts and trivia about Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure Park.
* "Bonus" pre-selected FASTPASS tickets for two attractions to enjoy after the tour.
* Select Entertainment viewing for one of our shows.

Details:
* Guests may book this tour up to 30 days in advance by calling Ticketing & Reservations at (714)
781-4400.
* Each tour has a limited availability of 20 spaces per tour.
* Tour length is approximately 2 1/2 hours.
* Tour departs daily at 10:00 a.m.

Pricing and restrictions:
* $25 per person.
* $20 per person with the Disney VISA or AAA discount.

"Discover The Magic" Tour
-------------------------
"Discover the Magic" of Disneyland Park on a fun-filled, high-energy experience for kids - and kids
at heart! This three-hour tour is a unique, interactive experience that immerses the Guests in the
fantasy and adventure of Disney. True to the spirit of Disneyland, the tour provides an opportunity
for parents and children to have fun together.

Highlights:
* Solve a mystery!
* Grab a snack!
* Hunt for treasure!

Details:
* Guests may book this tour up to 30 days in advance by calling Ticketing & Reservations at (714)
781-4400.
* Each tour has a limited availability of 20 Guests per tour.
* Tours depart at 10:30 am on weekends/holidays and daily during peak seasons (subject to
availability).
* Tour length: 3 hours.
* Recommended for families with children ages 5-9.
* Strollers are not recommended.
* Each Guest receives a lunch w/drink and a special souvenir gift.

Pricing and restrictions:
* There is a two (2) ticket minimum to book the "Discover The Magic" tour.
* The first 2 tickets are sold at $49 each (adult or child) and each additional "add on" ticket is
$39. To receive additional tickets at the discounted price, all tickets must be purchased during the
same transaction.
* Disney VISA or AAA discount: First two tickets are sold at $39 each (adult or child) and each
additional "add on" ticket is $29. To receive additional tickets at the discounted price, all
tickets must be purchased during the same transaction.
* Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult during the tour.

"A Walk in Walt's Footsteps" Tour
---------------------------------
See the Happiest Place on Earth through the eyes of the man who made it a reality! Walt Disney was a
master storyteller and a true visionary. Learn more about him through an exploration of perhaps his
greatest achievement; Disneyland Park.

Highlights:
* A visit to a classic Disney attraction.
* A ride on the Disneyland Railroad.
* An exclusive peek at the lobby of Disneyland's private Club 33.
* A choice of one of Walt's favorite lunches and desert.
* A collectible trading pin (exclusive to Tour Guests).

Details:
* Guests may book this tour before they arrive at the Disneyland Resort by calling our Ticketing &
Reservations at (714) 781-4400.
* The tour may be booked up to 30 days in advance
* Each tour has a limited availability of 15 Guests per tour
* The lunch at the Disney Gallery is included in the tour price and the menu is a set menu of six
options. There are no substitutions for menu items.
* Tour runs most days at 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
* Tour length: 3 1/2 hours.

Price:
* $49 per person.
* $39 per person with the Disney VISA or AAA discount.

Menu:
* Chili Cornbread Soufflé (A Walt Favorite): Home-style chili, cheddar cheese and corn bread
soufflé.
* Greek Salad (Vegetarian Option): Romaine chopped, cucumbers, red and green peppers, red onion,
tomatoes, kalamata olives, and a hint of parsley topped with feta cheese and Italian dressing.
* Cobb Salad: Iceberg mixed with romaine, tomato, blue cheese crumbles, bacon, egg, and smoked
julienne chicken breast served with ranch dressing.
* Turkey and Bacon Cheddar Croissant: Honey-smoked turkey breast, bacon layout, green leaf lettuce,
tomato, cheese, mustard, mayonnaise all on a buttery croissant.
* Hawaiian Chicken Salad Sandwich with Egg and Bacon on Croissant.
* Albacore Salad Sandwich: Albacore mix, green leaf lettuce, tomato, dill pickle chip all on a
buttery croissant.

All menu selections will be served with a canned beverage (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite) or bottled water
and a "Walt's Favorite" for dessert.

"From Imagination to Celebration" Tour
--------------------------------------
It's the biggest celebration in Disneyland's history - and you've got the perfect seat for the
festivities! The 50th Anniversary is in full swing, making this the perfect time to take an up-close
look at the history and heritage of the world's first theme park.

Highlights:
* Express Boarding on selected attractions highlighting the 50 years of Disneyland.
* Reserved seating for one of our newest 50th Happiest Homecoming On Earth shows.
* An exclusive commemorative pin.
* A keepsake Disneyland "A-E Ticket Book" that spotlights references from the entire tour
experience.
* A photo that captures the memories of you on this tour experience.
* A snack.

Details:
* Guests may book this tour before they arrive at the Disneyland Resort by calling our Ticketing &
Reservations at (714) 781-4400.
* Reservations may also be made at Disneyland Resort Guest Service locations.
* The tour may be booked up to 30 days in advance.
* Tours offered on most days with a limited availability of 16 Guests per tour.
* Each tour is 3.5 hours and dispatches at various times throughout the day.

Price:
* $55.00 per person.
* $44.00 per person with the Disney VISA or AAA discount.

"Holiday Time at Disneyland" Tour
---------------------------------
Immerse yourself in a winter wonderland of Disney magic as you experience the best of the Merriest
Place on Earth! If you love Disneyland Park and you love the holidays, this tour is for you!

Highlights:
* Boarding for "it's a small world" Holiday and the Haunted Mansion Holiday.
* Commemorative Pin.
* Reserved Seating for A Christmas Fantasy Parade.
* Surprise Holiday Treat.

Details:
* Available from November 18, 2005 - January 1, 2006.
* Each tour is limited to 15 Guests.
* Tour length: 2 1/2 hours.

Price:
* $ 49.00 per person.

"Cruizin' Disney's California Adventure Park" Tour
--------------------------------------------------
Climb aboard a Segway, the futuristic-looking, two-wheeled personal transportation vehicle, for a
one-of-a-kind "road trip" through the lands of Disney's California Adventure Park!

Details:
* 12 Guests per tour.
* Tour will be 2 hours. One hour for training and one hour of riding.
* Offered prior to park opening.
* Each Guest must be over 16 years of age and under 250 pounds to experience the tour. Those under
18 years of age, must have an adult sign a waiver.

Price:
* The price has yet to be determined. Please check with us again in the future. We expect to offer
this tour after the beginning of 2006.

VIP Tours
---------
Disney's VIP Tour Services enables Guests to experience the Disneyland Resort in a new and carefree
way. Imagine discovering all the magic and adventure awaiting Guests at both Disneyland Resort theme
parks with a VIP Tour Guide as their personal ambassador. VIP Tour Guides will customize your visit
by arranging special seating for parades, live stage shows and at the distinctive restaurants at the
Resort. Professional and knowledgeable, VIP Tour Guides will also share their personal insight and
experience throughout the tour.

Availability:
* VIP Tour arrangements may be made by calling Disney Special Activities at (714) 300-7710.
* VIP Tour Requests may be taken up to 90 days in advance. To ensure availability, a minimum notice
of 72 hours is suggested.
* Tours are available during normal Park operating hours only.
* Note: Tours may not be available during certain holiday periods. Call for details.

Pricing:
* $75 per hour/per VIP Tour Guide - 4 hour minimum when scheduled more than 48 hours in advance. $95
per hour/per VIP Tour Guide - 4 hour minimum when booked same day if Guides are available.
* One VIP Tour Guide can host up to 10 Guests. If the party size is larger than 10 Guests, a second
VIP Tour Guide will be provided at an additional cost.

Cancellations:
* Advance notice of 48 hours is required to avoid a cancellation fee equal to two (2) hours at the
booked rate per VIP Tour Guide.

Tickets:
* Park admission is not included in the hourly rate, but can be arranged by the Guide for an
additional charge.

Meals:
* Priority seating for all Disneyland Resort restaurants may be arranged by the VIP Tour Guide.

Notes & Restrictions:
* Standard Disneyland Resort transportation will be utilized. Private transportation is available at
an additional cost.
* Priority entrance to attractions is neither offered nor available.
* A maximum of 10 Guests may be assigned to one VIP Tour Guide.
* The tour is conducted in On Stage areas only; there are no Backstage tours.
* Any questions or concerns should be directed to a coordinator by calling Disney Special Activities
at (714) 300-7710.
* All information is subject to change without notice.

This should help...or at least it did for me. :rotfl:

Just a note, you can't get the AAA discount with the "From Imagination to Celebration" tour. I tried. I even confirmed it.

You can use your Disney Visa for a discount on the "Imgination to Celebration" tour though (and the other tours as well).

Yes, Disney Visa card has more power than the AAA card at times. However, keep in mind, if you don't have one it takes 30 days to get one and that is typically too late to use it for things like the From Imagination to Celebration (aka 50th anniversary) tour.

The info I posted came in an email reply I received from DL directly, however after reading the posts after mine, I was curious so I just called DL (the number to book the tours) and the CM told me that for the "From Imagination to Celebration" tour only the Disney Visa discount is available. So, with that in mind, if you have both just take them anyway...but, yes, it does seem the Disney Visa has a bit more clout.

Wow!!! Thank you momsgoofy for that great post!!! I was wondering if anyone had taken a VIP tour? There are 6 of us so it almost cheaper to do it that way. Do you get any pins or keepsakes? Do you just make up the tour yourself or do they do it for you? I will call the number but was wondering if anyone had any experience? :confused3

K in SA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter