Taking Amtrak - any hints or tips?

LOVETHATMOUSE

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>*~*Some LOVE from
My dd (7)and I are going down to West Palm Beach (with a two nite stay at WDW since it is only 2 hours away) for Easter break. Since this is a last minute trip to see the grandparents, and we are doing the cruise later in the year, price was the only option we had. Got a rate of $200 total round trip and my folks are chipping in for 1/2 of it, so for $100 - it's the train for us. Since it will be just my dd and myself (dh couldn't get off :( ), what can I expect or do on the train to keep her occupied? What should I pack and how is the food on the train too? Thanks for any input.

Train food is gross and they usually run out. I would do a couple things:

1. Bring a pillow and blanket for each of you.
2. Bring a softside cooler with sandwiches, breakfast foods, fresh fruit, juiceboxes and snacks. If you are a coffee/tea drinker you might even want to bring a thermos.
3. Bring a cosmetics tote with grooming essentials like toothbrushes and paste, face wash, etc. In your tote also have a change of clothing for each of you.
4. Bring a good book for you and for her quiet toys. If she likes to read, a new book. Crayons or washable markers and coloring books or a pad of paper. A barbie doll with a few changes of clothing.
5. Baby wipes, kleenex, and yes, even a bit of TP.

I'm sure others will have some ideas as well.

Anne

I don't think I've ever heard Amtrak dining car meals referred to as gross before. Unless you are talking about the snack-car meals - just a few notches above airline fare - served on most Northeast Corridor (Acela Regional) trains, this simply isn't an accurate description of any meal I've ever had in the diner (and this includes some remarkably low periods in Amtrak dining-car history...). That doesn't mean Amtrak, like any restaurant, never has quality issues, and I respect ducklite's opinion of course, but I can't help but wonder just which Amtrak food-service you are referring to.

Each Amtrak long-distance train carries both a lounge and dining car. Full meals are available in the diner; the lounge has "sandwiches, snacks, and beverages" (microwavable stuff, though edible). There is no comparison between the two. One is just a snack counter; the other a real "restaurant", and not fast-food at that.

Nothing wrong with bringing your own snacks though, as the lounge is overpriced and the selection is necessairily limited. I would also second the suggestion of having activities for your dd, especially after dark (during daylight the passing scenery is the best pasttime, though kids may not be quite as enthralled as yourself). Check all possible baggage and just have a small overnight bag (or tote) with a change of clothes and any other necessary items for the overnight trip in the coach with you (perhaps a second bag with your daughter's activities; and possibly a further small bag with the snacks). There is more than sufficient room for full suitcases, but the less you have with you the better off you will be.

The following link may be helpful, especially if you have never travelled by long-distance train before:

http://communities.prodigy.net/trains/amthints.htm

Have a great trip!

Yes, it's the Acela that I'm referring to. I had sworn off all but commuter trains years ago, and had to make a trip to Boston this past fall...so I figured I had heard so much about this wonderful Acela service. It was nothing more than a regular train, very disappointing, and slow.

I got on in NJ (to a train that was almost two hours late), went to the cafe car to get a snack, there was almost nothing left from the very limited offerings to begin with. I decided on the turkey sandwich, and have never had an airline meal that bad.

The bathroom on the new Acela was larger than most train lavs, but on the way back I was in business class on a regular NE Corridor train and it was the same dirty, grimey train that I've always known.

Thanks for the tips. My folks are driving down 3 weeks prior, so I will be sending our suitcases with them (thank goodness!) I figured I would bring on the full four carryons allowed by amtrak
1. 2 pillows and blankets
2. change of clothes, toiletries, etc.
3. Snacks, water bottles, juices boxes, and a pbj sandwich or two
4. books, gameboy, walkmans w/cd's, my dd's homework from the days she will be missing, backgammon (taught her to play this during our blizzard), cards, camera, and of course, her teddy which we can't sleep without STILL!

ABout how much do the meals run in the dining car. Figured we would do breakfast and dinner - can make due with the pbj and snacks I bring on for lunch.

Can you get off the train at any point and see the different stations?

Where did you get such a great rate? I looked into taking Amtrack but it would have been more expensive than flying (we are a family of 5), plus it would have taken WAY longer than driving!

Pam

Amtrak was having a special, Buy one ticket get one free but that offer ended last week. Maybe the original poster got in on that deal.

First of all did you reserve seats or a sleeper car?. DW and I took Amtrak out of Newark, NJ to Kissame in November. Never, Never, Never again. IMHO the sleeper was way to small to justify the price paid (almost double what it would have cost to fly). The train it's self was dirty. The food in the dinning car was very good considerding you are on a train. Big thing was the train was 3 hours late into kissame and 5 hours late back into newark. The only reason we took the train was because DW was affraid to fly after 9-11. Now we are flying in may. (184.00 RT on continental). Have a great trip, be prepared to be very unconfertable on the train, it's a very long 16 hours.

Scott Peg and Tyler

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter