Taking kids out of school for a week!

I missed a week of school every year in High School to go to WDW and its really not a big deal. Do the work if they give it to you before or do it when you come back either way they're your kids so do what you feel is best for them. Most of my teachers told me to have fun and not worry about school work and they'll give me the assignments when I get back. I had some catch up in math when I got back and had extra questions for a few days since I took harder math classes but the teacher always helped well except for one but he didn't help anyone or answer questions. The teachers that take it as an insult need to relax the parent is doing what they decide to do with their family and that's their business not yours and they are coming to you trying to make it easier on you also by letting you decide how you want their child to makeup work.
Yea I think it's funny how some people can bash others as if every teacher thinks the same way as them. My daughter's 2nd grade teacher thought it was perfectly fine and even said family memories are just as important. She had my daughter write in a journal and draw a picture each day of our vacation and then shared with the class. Not only did she have to do creative writing, she also had art class and had to speak Infront of her class to present her journal. I think she learned more in that week than she would've doing math sheets.

Shocker! Teacher advocates not vacationing during school. School is important, but so is family time. If it has to occur during school, a week won't make a kid a high school dropout. Teachers spend way more time on distracted students than actually teaching anyways.
Exactly. How many times do teachers throw their kids on the computer to do math games so they can get some "work" done.

This is always opening up a can of worms on these forums. Most everyone has a very passionate opinion on this and will argue it to the death. So on that note and in my humble opinion, the bottom line is the district rules. If it will not cause a problem based on the district rules, it's completely your call. Teachers blessing or not doesn't matter. Forum blessing or not. We don't know your children and the kind of students they are. And at this point in the school year, neither do the teachers. I used to swear I would never take my kids out of school for vacation. Then after a close family member passed away suddenly, I realized how time is short and we just never know. My kids are excellent students so you better believe we take vacation whenever it works for us. Even during the school year.

Exactly. How many times do teachers throw their kids on the computer to do math games so they can get some "work" done.

Um Never-Its against district policy and prefer to keep my job thank you.

I dont think that this needs to turn into a teacher bashing party. Please know that most teachers care very much about your children and work very hard to do their very best for them and even sacrifice many hours with their own children and families for the good of other peoples children. A lot of the "disapproval" that people may think that they are getting may simply be concern for students that they are worried will come back behind, stressed out, and unable to catch up because of the gaps in their understanding. You never know what they are teaching. There are times of the year where we will only be covering a topic for a week or two and if you miss that time there is no opportunity to learn it. That's not even the teachers call we are beholden to the pacing guide that the the higher ups give us and make us stick to.

That being said-those who are worried about missing math KhanAcademy.org has wonderful online lessons and video tutorials that align with math standards for every grade level. Find out what the class will be working on while your away and your kids can use this to help them not fall behind in math when they are away. I recommend this for all of my struggling students who miss class. And its free!

We debated this issue before we did the same thing and came to this conclusion - your children will always remember that one week at Disney more than they will ever remember that one week of school.
Yes, they will be able to remember that week more specifically than a week at school ... but what they would've learned in that one week would be incorporated /blended into what they already know and would not specifically stand out, but that doesn't mean that week was in any way unimportant.

As a retired teacher who gave many years of my life to teaching, I can't disagree more. There are several weeks of vacation scheduled in the school year. The 36 weeks or so of school are jammed packed with learning that can not be made up with busy work sent with the child. Every day important learning happens in the classroom and your child needs to be there. Would you be willing to give up Thanksgiving or Christmas or Spring or Summer breaks because nothing crucial happens at home during a week? I did a great deal of planning educational actvities for my students and found it insulting when parents asked if anything important would be happening or would it be ok for child to miss a few days (or weeks). Important learning is a daily event in a classroom!
A a current teacher, I second everything you've said.

What your teacher SAYS isn't necessarily what he or she THINKS; I promise you, the conversation in the staff room is quite different. When you ask this question, your teacher knows that you've already made the decision to take your child out of class that week, already have flights and a hotel booked -- the teacher knows you're going regardless of how the conversation goes, and it's smarter/easier to stay on your good side/hope for parental cooperation rather than point out what your child will miss in a solid week of class. You're going to go regardless of what the teacher says, so when the teacher agrees and acts happy about it, he or she is actually practicing damage control.

Shocker! Teacher advocates not vacationing during school. School is important, but so is family time. If it has to occur during school, a week won't make a kid a high school dropout. Teachers spend way more time on distracted students than actually teaching anyways.
True, family time is important ... but you have 185 days a year when kids are not in school. If you're not making memories at home on a regular basis -- simple things like cooking together, sharing books, going to the playground together -- then that one week isn't going to suddenly provide those family memories that you need.

No one's said a kid's going to become a high school drop out -- hyberbole doesn't help your agument -- but when a kid misses school, there's always a cost. You may argue that the cost is negligible, and the reality is that it will differ from one student to another, but the cost is still real.

You're right that teachers have to spend time on distracted students -- also unprepared students, hungry students, sick students, belligerent students, students with special needs, students behind grade level, the list could go on -- but that is irrelevant to this particular discussion.

I seriously doubt that's true... are you trolling us? ;)

OP I took my son out of school once for four days, and next week we'll be taking all of our kids out for 1.5 days.
If you want to know, go back and read through the thread, where I already explained how that is true, and other posters with experience agreed.

Calling someone a troll is a personal attack. Please stay civil.

Last edited:
If you want to know, go back and read through the thread, where I already explained how that is true, and other posters with experience agreed.

You cited some apparent trends that I agree with, then drew a big conclusion from them that I don't. It is simply hard to fathom that summer crowds are in general less than the rest of the year (excepting Easter and Christmas), even if patterns are changing. Until blockout dates change (possibly the best single indicator of crowd levels), I just can't go that far.

You cited some apparent trends that I agree with, then drew a big conclusion from them that I don't. It is simply hard to fathom that summer crowds are in general less than the rest of the year (excepting Easter and Christmas), even if patterns are changing. Until blockout dates change (possibly the best single indicator of crowd levels), I just can't go that far.

The huge increase in discounts this summer is also some proof as well as the lifting of some AP block out dates this summer. We can all say that Disney is just so considerate of AP holders that they wanted them to have the chance to ride GMR and Ellen but at the end of the day if the parks were jam packed they wouldnt have done it.

So not a total lift in block out dates and only a small sign but on the whole its pretty convincing.

Mean while I couldnt get any discounts for during my fall break, FP's and ADR's were very slim pickin's even with onsite perks and availability at resorts has proven tricky. It gonna be packed :crowded:. I wish I was more heat tolerant...

The huge increase in discounts this summer is also some proof as well as the lifting of some AP block out dates this summer. We can all say that Disney is just so considerate of AP holders that they wanted them to have the chance to ride GMR and Ellen but at the end of the day if the parks were jam packed they wouldnt have done it.

So not a total lift in block out dates and only a small sign but on the whole its pretty convincing.

Mean while I couldnt get any discounts for during my fall break, FP's and ADR's were very slim pickin's even with onsite perks and availability at resorts has proven tricky. It gonna be packed :crowded:. I wish I was more heat tolerant...

I guess I'm a tough sell.

I would take an elementary school student who wasn't struggling, but not middle and high school. My DD is an A student at a specialty math and science school,with accelerated curriculum. She would have a hard time catching up on a weeks worth of work, and I wouldn't want to put her through that when it isn't necessary. A kid doing an honors program in high school here would definitely have difficulty getting caught up.

We take our young elementary kids out of school a week every year. We have a top performing school with lots of wonderful boundaries to keep learning top-notch. We haven't had any pushback against us taking a week of vacation. I also have a number of teacher friends who see no problem with vacation for lower elementary kids who are doing well in class. (Different for older ages or struggling students). Enjoy your time!!

Lol you can't be serious...I know I'm a Disney Virgin, but I did my research...

Serious. Your dates will be less crowded but will be just as hot. Summer has been getting good discounts and fewer visitors.

Unfortunately, it will be just as hot as the typical summer months. I have been in June, July, August & Septemeber. All have been equally hot. Also, it's always crowded at WDW now.

Exactly. Hot as heck!

Twin girls are in 1st and son is in 6th, on the spectrum and attends a therapeutic day school
OP, every set of circumstances is different. Take all of the responses with a grain of salt. I took my kids out of school for a week up until 7th grade every single year to go to Disney. My DS graduated from high school with honors and attends NC State University. My DD is an upcoming junior and is doing well. You do what you feel is the right thing to do for your family.

My daughter will be entering 3rd grade and I am taking her out of school 6 days for Disney 9/8 , 9/10-9/15. I am nervous to tell the teachers but it's paid for and I can't change the plans. But next year I will plan vacation during times when school is not in session. This is my first time ever taking a child out of school but it will be awesome time!!

I say just go for it . We are planning our 1st Disney trip as a family looking at our school calendar because I don't want to go when we have state exams .

Yes, they will be able to remember that week more specifically than a week at school ... but what they would've learned in that one week would be incorporated /blended into what they already know and would not specifically stand out, but that doesn't mean that week was in any way unimportant.

What they learned at World Showcase was presented to their classmates in an oral report that incorporated what they learned about world cultures. Yes we had fun away from school, but also turned a small part of it into a learning experience.

Then we rode Soarin' ten times :thumbsup2

We took our 3 elementary age kids out last sept and will again in 2 weeks. I didn't ask their teachers, as someone up thread implied... I told them. My kids are good students and have not had any trouble catching up. We can not go at traditional school breaks due to my husband's job, and I have no regrets. The teachers have been excited for my kids, invited them to share with everyone some of their favorite experiences, and asked to tag along in their backpacks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter