• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Taking SOn out of school For disney

I have read through this thread and wanted to throw my 2 cents in. In an ideal world, my students would be at school every day. I also understand parents who want to give their children experiences outside of school, and a WDW vacation is an incredible time to spend having fun with family. (I would love to go to WDW more often - especially during value seasons - but I would have my pay docked!)
I appreciate all of the parents who are up front with the teachers and schools about where they are going and asking for homework. I just want to ask parents to please not be upset if teachers are unable to pull work together ahead of time. A lot of learning in the classroom can be planned ahead of time, but a lot of times, things don't go as planned. Some teachers are more comfortable giving make-up work after the students have returned. If this is the case, like many other posters, I suggest making your own assignments for your kids - journals are a great way to keep memories of your trips!

I just had to throw in my two cents! We are taking our girls age 7, 10 out of school in Jan. We did this in 05 around V-day and it was fine. I know school is important, and my kids very rarely miss school. One of my friends is my step sons 7th grade Eng teacher. She was kinda tiffy about taking him out of school. I told her in this day and age family time was just as important as school. My kids all get good grades and missing a week of school is not as important as making memories as a family.

Not judging, well maybe I am a lil or alot... But 7th grade, no makeup tests? That's a lil harsh don't ya think? It's not college it's grammar school. I am glad at my DD's school the teacher is required to have make up tests for all students regardless of there reason for absence (one of the pros about paying tuition is that I can dictate where my money is going ). I am sorry but I am a nurse and it is incredibly difficult for me to get off in the summer because alot of the old babes take their trips then and aside from that my hubby is a bricklayer and all his money is made in the summer so it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to get away at that time.

I think it is seriously selfish for that to be the expectation of a professional who only works 9 months of the year (no holidays,weekends or summers none the less) I mean really family vacations are important and they are not always taken at the most convenient time.

Okay I was with you until you said that teachers only work 9 months out of the year and not on weekends or holidays. WE work all year long most of us do. So far this summer I have been in several meetings, one all day long teaching conference and I have several other days planned to go up to the school and get my room arranged and meet with my planning partner to discuss year long plans all for no pay. I love doing it because I know my students will benefit in the long run so it is worth it to me. So please don't judge all teachers on one poster!!! Most of us work very hard and work with our parents to make sure your child gets the best education. I had two students go on extended trips last year. One was for 2 months. I spent my own time making plans and running copies so my student would not miss out. I wanted to do this. I do not agree with the other poster about not accepting making up work. Why punish the child. So please be kind to teachers we do work hard for little pay but the pay is not I do it!!!

Very nice. You sound like my children's teachers. Our school district requires that I submit a form explainging the where & when of our trip and what the benefits will be. I send in the form as soon as I know when we're going and have never, ever had a problem.

Here is what I list as the benefits:

Epcot explores world cultures that my children would otherwise not be exposed to. Future world opens dialogue on things such as farming techniques and reproduction.

MGM explores cinematography, examines how animators put together the cartoons we see every day and de-mystifys the stunts my children enjoy in the movies we see.

Animal Kingdom makes children aware of endangered species, poaching and its effect upon our world. Further, it asks us to look into conservation & re-cycling.

The Magic Kingdom is a living part of our American History. Where else can I take my kids to see a real 'World Fair' exhibit? It even has a Tom Sawyer Island which introduces our kids to Mark Twain's books, a slice of American History all by themselves?

I was just remembering, when I was reading over this whole thread, that I attended the same school as my step son! I remember the school having a fit when my parents took my brother and I out of school for 2 weeks for Disney. I was in 6th grade, about the same grade as my step son. My mother remembers them telling us that it was going to ruin our futures! Well I may not have a perfect life however, I run a successful business out of my home , and am I attending college. Not so bad I guess!! It just goes to show that nothing changes. My grandchildren's teachers will probably be irritated as well!

How on earth could an adult say that 2 weeks out of school would ruin your future? If that were true than conversely 2 extra weeks in school would solve ALL your kids problems. Obviously, judging by the # of kids who end up in summer school more that once (me, Italian class, 16 & 17, 'nuff said) it just isn't that simple or EVERYONE would have a genius at home. Could you imagine what the world would be like without any variations, without any colorful people to enjoy? Uggh, life would be one long sit-com, No Thanks.

heartsy77 said:
I was just remembering, when I was reading over this whole thread, that I attended the same school as my step son! I remember the school having a fit when my parents took my brother and I out of school for 2 weeks for Disney. I was in 6th grade, about the same grade as my step son. My mother remembers them telling us that it was going to ruin our futures! Well I may not have a perfect life however, I run a successful business out of my home , and am I attending college. Not so bad I guess!! It just goes to show that nothing changes. My grandchildren's teachers will probably be irritated as well!

As you can see on this thread alone, many teachers have not had a problem with parents taking their children out of school for a family vacation. From my experience, teachers get upset when:

1. The parents don't take responsibility or accept the consequences of taking the child out of school. This could include having to work with the child to get them caught up or dealing with the attendance policies that teachers have no say in.

2. They see a child who is struggling to get through class and the parents take them out for an extended vacation. The parents then expect the teacher to work on their own time to get the student through the year.

3. They are told the day before and the parent expects some type of homework package so that their child can keep up on his/her work. It takes more than a couple of hours to prepare a package.

Not all parents are like this and every situation is different. I don't think it is fair to say that all teacher will be irritates because yours was.

Most of the time, it is the school district that has a problem with extended absences. That is why you should not only let the teacher know, but also let admin know. The teacher may not know the exact rule about absences.

Marsha

I would never...not! :teeth:

I guess I'm a bad influence but I've taken my kids out of school for vacation at least once a year for every year they've been in school. And guess what, DD (13) is always on the honor roll and DS (11) has never fallen behind. My family has so little time together because of DH's work schedule (gone 15 hrs/day, five days a week) that I feel it's important for us to take advantage of the opportunity to go and have some fun (while our kids still want to!). We always notify the school ahead of time and ask the teachers if there's anything the kids need to do to in additon to their make-up work. We have never had a problem or a teacher that indicated it was unacceptable to do this. I know we have been very fortunate, but also realize our days are numbered once DD enters high school.

OK, I need to add something and I also have a suggestion I haven't seen yet. First, as a former HS English teacher, I had kids who missed all of the time. The last few days of every marking period was dedicated to make-up work and my advanced students who had no make-up work (or students who hadn't been absent) appreciated the time to work on assignments from other classes. I worked in a school system in another state that basically let the kids run the school. There were no deadlines, so if a kid didn't turn in the assignment they had infinite amount of time to turn it in (no, really, my principal even made me take work from a student several weeks after grades had been turned in, even though he had been there EVERY day and was not a special needs student!) Anyway, as a teacher I didn't have a choice on this matter but still would have given any child who asked their work (or as much as I could give them) ahead of time so that they could get it done on the plane or in the car or whatever. Believe it or not, students were even excused during Hunting season!?!

We are going on our first trip this October and my oldest will be in First grade. I will give his teacher and the principal a letter the first week of school and remind his teacher 2 weeks prior if I haven't received work at that time. I prefer the work ahead of time so that he can do that on the weekends before we go or something. Anyway, that early in the year I anticipate the majority of the work being review at this age (he didn't even learn anything new until almost Christmas in Kindergarten). I'm not the least bit concerned about whether the teacher or principal likes it - he's my child, not theirs. If he struggled in school I might not have the same opinion. My youngest will be in pre-school and will miss 2 days (about 10-15 assignments) and I will do the same with him. I already know the teacher will not have an issue as I've dealt with her previously through my older son.

Now, as an alternative suggestion and something I may do in the future. Considering that most work done 2 or 3 days prior to a holiday are normally make-up work and/or busy work (I know from experience), you might want to consider leaving 2 or 3 days before school lets out and go then. That way you will still beat the vacation crowds, you will probably beat a lot of the traffic, but your child won't miss as much instructional time. This should work for any extended holiday such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer Break.

Whatever you choose to do just enjoy your vacation and time with your child. Don't worry so much about what everyone else thinks - that will only take away from your enjoyment and that's not fair to you or your child! Besides, if one week was truly that detrimental to a childs educational success, think about where all of those kids who end up having operations, sucumbing to all the illnesses, and everything else that happens in school, where would they be? :confused3 Anyway, if you're on this board reading this and contemplating, you're more than likely the kind of parent who is going to make sure your child catches back up anyway!

Wow, what an interesting thread. Firstly, I want to say hi to all the pa people here! There are alot of us!

Next I just want to add that no matter what whoever the parents are they need to be comfortable with whatever choice they make. On a personal note, I have been visiting WDW since I was 7 and have gone every year since....sometimes 2x and was taken out school to go. Now, having said that, every year both my parents and myself talked to each teacher each time well enough in advance and also made sure to get the work ahead of time if there was any. We now go every year early December and around that time at least here I think kids are thinking about Holiday vacation and also it is getting close to finals or midterms so it's alot of review. So, not a whole lot of new material which makes it easier.

But again you have to be comfortable with it. If you aren't, there are other times of the year to take your children to WDW. No matter what is decided, you can't go wrong going to WDW whenever you choose to go.

Have A Magical Day!

sbpuckett said:
Now, as an alternative suggestion and something I may do in the future. Considering that most work done 2 or 3 days prior to a holiday are normally make-up work and/or busy work (I know from experience), you might want to consider leaving 2 or 3 days before school lets out and go then. That way you will still beat the vacation crowds, you will probably beat a lot of the traffic, but your child won't miss as much instructional time. This should work for any extended holiday such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer Break.

I've already posted my opinion -- Go and have a great time! But I have to say that in my district things changed this year. They gave us such a strict schedule and pacing guide that many times we had tests on the days before vacation, even in first grade!!! And "busy work" for me was pretty much obsolete this year, as the pacing guide was so strict. In the past I used to count on having many kids absent and would plan on busy work rather than teaching new material! And, I would really appreciate parents asking for work ahead of time! If any ask, they seem to wait until the day before or the day they are leaving!!!

If I had two cents for everytime someone said let me put my two cents in, I would have my Disney trip paid for. :rotfl2:

My DD 15 ran into her German Teacher for next year and while talking to her she mentioned she would be going to WDW in January. They teacher told her to reminder her two weeks before we are going so she can give her some homework that has to be done at Epcot in the Germany pavilon (sp??), she will be starting her 2nd yr of German and aced the first yr.

Her teacher had just gotten back, as it turned out, and she has certain things for our DD to do there :)

I think as long as you give the teachers notice, enough in advance, there shouldn't be a problem. But then maybe my school district spoils us, there are no set absent days or anything like that.

Hope you have fun on your trip!

Lori

my DF's parents used to take him out of school for Disney a lot. they would always have a family member who had "passed on" every other year lol.

the good thing they did about it was they got all of his and his brother's homework and schoolwork for the week and had them do it during breakfast before they went into the parks so they weren't behind when they got back to school.

Have done this a couple of times, and will do it again in September.

This next trip will be the longest-5 days. Other trips have been only 3 to 4 days.

As long as he does well in school, it's not an issue. I will be informing his school the 1st day though this year, because he has 2 commitments (Safety patrol and morning annoucements) and don't want to mess him or the school up with finding someone to cover him at the last minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter