• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about carrying a DSLR around in parks!

I'm seriously thinking about buying my first DSLR camera. All the reasons I want one are obvious I'm sure...better pictures at night, better firework pictures, better indoor lowlight pictures, etc.
My main concern is carrying the large camera around in the parks. I have a friend who told me she hates to carry hers on rides. That is kinda the whole point of why I want it. :rolleyes1
I'm not a big backpack carrier either, and she told me you have to be to carry a DSLR.
Talk to me guys!!! Do you have one, how do you carry it, what about those FL downpours, will I be sorry I have it??????:scared:

First... It's not the equipment that makes your pictures, it's YOUR ability to take the pictures using whatever you have. I've taken iPhone photos better than some people's DSLR shots. That said, I have a Canon T3, 50mm, 18-55mm (kit lens) and 55-250mm zoom lens, tripod and camera backpack that I use when at the parks. I normally keep the thing around my neck most of the day with the backpack on (I upgraded to the backpack from the sling bag as it kept cutting into my neck). The backpack I have has clips on the bottom to loop in the tripod, the bottom zippered section is for my camera and lenses and then the top portion is open and I use that for poncho, souvenir, other essentials storage. I keep my lenses, when not in use, in plastic baggies (even though they're in the bottom of the bag, I take no chances with water.

As far as rain, if it starts, I make sure I have my lens cap in my pocket, so to just get the lens covered quick while I'm putting on my poncho and I'll just keep my camera under my poncho. Should it be a more prolonged period of rain, I'll just put the camera away entirely in my bag and pull the poncho down over the bag. I've never been sorry for my having my camera, and having out, you never know what you'll catch, lol.

As far as protective equipment, they have camera slings and holsters and all sorts of gizmos, go to adorama.com or bhphotovideo or cameta camera or some other prominent websites and browse what they have. I'd stick with a padded neck strap though, that way you don't take the chance of someone bumping your lens as people aren't exactly aware of their surroundings.

ETA: I also keep a small microfiber towel in my bag as well, just in case it does get wet, I can dry it and it doesn't scratch anything.

I've always taken my Nikon on Disney trips and it's no trouble. I would recommend getting something a bit rugged (sales person can help with that) as you will be jostled through the crowds. I especially love the sports setting that takes multiple pics per second for the thrill rides.

I've always taken my Nikon on Disney trips and it's no trouble. I would recommend getting something a bit rugged (sales person can help with that) as you will be jostled through the crowds. I especially love the sports setting that takes multiple pics per second for the thrill rides.

Sport mode is great for Lights, Motors, Action...

I use a Lowepro Passport Sling bag and a 17-70 lens for the parks. The 55-200 kit lens is ok in good light but not ideal for the parks. Your better off using the 18-55. You can always crop in but you can't crop out..

The 3200 is not heavy so a backpack is not necessary. Look for a bag or a comfortable strap that provides easy access.

I was planning on leaving the camera at home; you all are making me rethink that. I would love to carry nothing more than a small purse, but am afraid I will regret not having the camera. I was very disappointed in the Photo Pass pics the last time, so will not purchase for Memory Maker.

Thanks for the tips everyone. My wife and I have the Nikon d7000 and after a few years of ownership we still aren't pros. Still, we want to try it out in the parks to capture all those disney details. So far we bought a small tripod.

I was planning on leaving the camera at home; you all are making me rethink that. I would love to carry nothing more than a small purse, but am afraid I will regret not having the camera. I was very disappointed in the Photo Pass pics the last time, so will not purchase for Memory Maker.

Left my dslr home last trip to Universal and regretted it. The p&s that I brought was ok but what could have been great shots were just meh. Not making that mistake again.

DH always carries his DSLR around the parks. He bought a couple of different sizes of Lowepro bags - one that is large enough to carry all of the lenses and accessories (this is mostly used to transport the camera and accessories on the plane and to store unused items in the hotel room), one that is smaller and holds the camera and one lens and one that basically is just large enough for the camera. He uses these last two in the parks, depending on what we're planning on doing. If we're heading out in the evening for fireworks or light parade, he takes the slightly larger one; if we're going on a lot of rides, he uses the smallest. Usually he leaves the camera hanging around his neck with just the cap on and then puts it into the bag when we're in line and slings it crossbody when he gets on the attraction or puts it into the pocket on those rides that have them like Expedition Everest. He never carries a backpack or anything larger than the camera bag. He's done this with a variety of different cameras including video cameras for years wherever we go, not just at Disney. Given that he takes hundreds of photos wherever we go (sometimes I think he only knows what we saw when he gets home and downloads his pictures), it works well and he never feels like he's hauling a lot of stuff around. Fortunately, he doesn't take a tripod and isn't stupid enough to ask me to haul it around for him like his assistant (sometimes I think I see the gears in his head working up to expressing those thoughts but he's too much of a survivor to suggest it verbally).

If you're thinking you'll regret it, you more than likely will. If Photopass came up short for your expectations, then you have to guarantee yourself the results you want (that being taking your own pictures). The photopass people will use your camera and take pictures, in addition to theirs, I literally just hand them my camera, lol and they know what to do.

The best experience I had with this was last trip. We found an empty moment on Main St. and wanted a picture, so we found a Photopass person and I said, "Can you take our picture?" and handed her my camera. She was upset at my request, but she used BOTH her camera and mine, scanned our bands and off we went....

Fortunately, he doesn't take a tripod and isn't stupid enough to ask me to haul it around for him like his assistant (sometimes I think I see the gears in his head working up to expressing those thoughts but he's too much of a survivor to suggest it verbally).

They make backpacks that have straps on the bottom or sides to hold a tripod ;)

Not crazy about the idea of handing $1500+ of camera equipment to someone who may or may not know how to use it.

Do you switch over to Auto mode before handing it off?

They make backpacks that have straps on the bottom or sides to hold a tripod ;)

I know. He doesn't really want to carry a backpack or anything large-ish but I saw him looking at me with this certain speculative look in his eyes when he was browsing amongst the camera bags when we purchased the last camera and they had those types of backpacks. I'm pretty sure he understood my look back :rolleyes: and declined to suggest that I looked like his photography assistant. We've been married for 25 years - there's a reason we've lasted this long and it doesn't include making suggestions that would be dangerous to his health. :D It certainly didn't stop him from taking over 700 pictures on our last trip (6 days), most of them at night (new camera handles low light conditions well so obviously he had to experiment).

Not crazy about the idea of handing $1500+ of camera equipment to someone who may or may not know how to use it.

Do you switch over to Auto mode before handing it off?

That's my biggest fear about my DSLR. I always hand it over for someone to take pictures and handing it to a cast member is the scariest thing I do! :scared: I've had to urge to place the strap around their neck so they don't drop it! I really try not to do it too much though. I do switch mine to auto mode when I hand it off.

I also try not to bring it every time I go in to the parks. I love my camera but I can get wrapped up into taking pictures because I have it instead of enjoying the moment. BTW, I'm also no professional by any means. I've had my camera for a year and a half and I'm still learning to use it, but it's such a great tool!

Every years I bring my DSLR, you can't beat the pics. I love taking 1000 of pics and being able to take pics rapidly. Of course I think you need the right camera bag, I use a lowepro which makes getting to camera easy when needed. It holds some lens, memory cards, and extra batteries. I agree take it one time and see how it feels.

I assume that you already know that getting those high quality shots with a DSLR requires more effort than just taking a picture with your P&S or camera phone. DSLR's are capable of taking much better photos , but you have to know how to use the controls. A good tripod or at least a monopod is very useful if you want to shoot in less than ideal light.

But, to your point. There is a wide range of weights and sizes of DSLRs. I use pro level Nikon cameras, so relatively heavy and bulky due to metal construction etc... but it is also water resistant to the point that a bit of rain isn't a problem. You get used to the weight and bulk and a good strap can do wonders. A backpack or bag of some sort isn't really necessary unless you carry multiple lenses and such. If you get an all around zoom which covers the focal ranges you use one lens is all that is necessary. I personally carry a few somewhat heavy lenses , so I use a sling bag because I don't find backpacks comfortable and hate having to take it off every time I need something.

I have a Sony and it's pretty heavy, but it was simple to learn to use and even in auto mode it takes good pics, so it's my go to at Disney. And Powbob's advice about a good strap is right on target; I don't use the straps that come with any of my cameras (even if it's just a point and shoot). And if it's not in active use, I put the strap over one shoulder so that it's out of the way. If I'm carrying an extra lens, I have it in a small messenger bag that I can also put the camera in during rides. Usually the only time I carry an extra lens is in AK.

I keep mine in a big ziplock in my backpack. Never been a biggie for me. I don't pack extra lenses.

This is a great idea as well!

Another option you may want to consider is to look at the mirrorless compact interchangeable lens cameras. They're more powerful than a point and shoot, much smaller than a DSLR, ability to switch out lenses, full manual control. I have a Sony NEX 3N model that comes with a 16-50mm kit lens and pop-up flash. It's a couple years old now, so I'm sure there are even more cameras available in this category than when I was shopping.

I am a bit of a photo nut, but when I go to Disney (or most other vacations) my rule is to take the camera, one multipurpose lens (I might bring a second specialty lens like an ultra wide that gets left in the room after I take a few shots around the resort) and a backpack camera bag that fits that setup and no more. At home I am a diligent external flash user, but on vacation I use the pop up flash with a Gary Fong diffuser. For me this is the right balance of being able to get the photos I want, and being able to travel light and enjoy the trip. I bring a tripod only to take fireworks photos, and I don't take those inside the parks.

I decided to leave my dslr at home in January, and I'm so glad I did. I have a Canon PowerShot SX280 that is very small and compact, and I was SO happy with my pictures. My avatar was taken using this camera, and I have a ton of other firework pictures that turned out great, as well as MSEP, ride photos, etc. etc. It wasn't a cheap p&s by any means, but it was a lot easier for me to carry around as I already had a backpack of things to carry (just me and my dd) and this one slipped easily into my tiny crossbody purse when not in use.

We always take our DSLR to the parks (unless it's raining heavily and then it stays locked up at the resort and we only take our P&S instead). The DSLR stays out 99% - even on rides. I have a larger fashionable shoulder bag that also fits my DLSR for times I do need to put it away, plus I always make sure to have a couple plastic bags (or shower caps also work) for times I need to wrap it up if we get caught up in one of those afternoon pop up showers. As for lenses, we do bring a couple lenses with us on vacation, however, we usually only take one one the camera to the parks (the one we think we'd use the most that day). If we want pictures in lower light, I may bring my Sigma 30mm 1.4 in a lens bag (which fits in my shoulder bag) that I can change out when we want to take those pictures. We also bring the P&S along as well (usually in hubby's pocket) - that way we can hand that camera over for character photos instead of giving them the DSLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter