Talk to me about setting up a Etsy account, All thoughts are appreciated.

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
I have been sewing and making lots of stuff over the last several months... with a goal to start selling on Etsy... I am all most ready to jump in.... so really just wanting to get some pointers on anything and everything before I start...

One of my friends who sell hand crafted jewelry on Etsy....really amazing pieces... and her sister sell hand-made quilts, throws, and lots of hair bow's, tutu's and clothing....

Her tips
1) -Create - Rules of Sales make then simple and plain as can be.... to make all sales final... no returns...especially with what I make... she said that they are considered personal use items... I make things like pillowcase, shams, throw pillow covers, napkins, table runners, and a few other things...plus the fact the people will use them then try to return it... her sister has had to deal with people trying to return items - from households with... smoking, pets, as well as bed bugs, lice, bodily fluids ... which she said you can not re-sell items that are returned of this nature, her analogy was you can't return underwear its a personal use item so these item are not returnable....

2) Be clear and concise in descriptions not a bunch of extra wording ... and lots of pictures... - thing like hand wash only... no bleach, do not dry, lay flat to store, measurements... and so on...

3) Communication with the customers.... is the most important aspect of this type of market place...

Her sister tips were pretty much the same with one extra.
1) offer sending a small swatch of fabric to potential customers so that they can see, and feel the fabric.... this way they can see if its going to match or not... she said she does charge like a buck for this, to cover the cost of the stamp, and envelop... as all sales are final...

I would appreciate any suggestions and or tips... As always thanks in advance for your help... :thanks::flower1:

I was considering it for a while and found SEO management was key to getting views. Use all your keywords, repeat them in the listing title and in the item description. I've heard that listing items frequently helps to be on the first page of searches. And yes to lots of GOOD pictures!

Good luck!

I was considering it for a while and found SEO management was key to getting views. Use all your keywords, repeat them in the listing title and in the item description. I've heard that listing items frequently helps to be on the first page of searches. And yes to lots of GOOD pictures!

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion and tip...

Keep track of your expenses and file the business with your taxes. The problem people can get into is they just ignore the IRS and 3-4 years down the road get a monster bill. If you do it right and include things like car expenses and cell phone it is pretty easy to wipe out any profit, but if you do not report you are asking for it.

Keep track of your expenses and file the business with your taxes. The problem people can get into is they just ignore the IRS and 3-4 years down the road get a monster bill. If you do it right and include things like car expenses and cell phone it is pretty easy to wipe out any profit, but if you do not report you are asking for it.

THIS ^

And shipping, all shipping supplies like boxes, mailers, bubble wrap, tape, labels. If you use a laptop specifically for your business and a label creator. Lots more on top of that so do your "cost of business" studying.

OP here,

Wow... Thanks so much...

I am thinking about , and have started looking at a new sewing machines... which gets really expensive fast...

So I added, paperwork set up to the list...

I also will need to spend some money up front to set-up, and I will need a few things, as well there are a few newer toys that I want.

Say where you are shipping from, if you have any photos of yourself at a market booth add those to make it feel more artsy. Personally, I go to ETSY to support artisans not Dollar store or sweatshop stuff with a gimmick so grounding it in an authentic "I can look this fair up and see it" sort of way totally gets my attention.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter