Taste of the tap water in the cabins?

CindyPA

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

We are checking into a cabin next week and are trying to decide if we should get some bottled water or not. It’s been a while since I’ve been at Disney, and we were last at Universal two years ago… And I remember that the water from the water fountains did not taste great. Can anyone fill me in as to how the tapwater tastes at the cabin? Is it the same as the water in the parks? I know there is an icemaker in the freezer and I’m wondering if the water isn’t great, I assume the ice cubes probably don’t taste too good either?

Can anyone give me some insight please?

Thank you!

Hello all!

We are checking into a cabin next week and are trying to decide if we should get some bottled water or not. It’s been a while since I’ve been at Disney, and we were last at Universal two years ago… And I remember that the water from the water fountains did not taste great. Can anyone fill me in as to how the tapwater tastes at the cabin? Is it the same as the water in the parks? I know there is an icemaker in the freezer and I’m wondering if the water isn’t great, I assume the ice cubes probably don’t taste too good either?

Can anyone give me some insight please?

Thank you!
The ice cubes did taste bad. The water has a sulfur taste and smell.

We are at the campsites and for drinking, I use bottled water. I will use the tap water for cooking though without issue.

I am surprised though that the water from the soda fountains does not have the sulfur taste.

Sulfur taste for sure. We bring bottled water and gallon drinking water for making tea or lemonade.

Thank you all! It looks like we will be ordering some water to be delivered. Which is fine, I just would have hated to order it and then not be necessary.

I assume they sell water at the trading posts too? I wonder if they have cases of bottles? I have the grocery order list from Disney. Is it the same items in the trading posts? Is there a place that has a list of what you can buy at the post?

Though it was way too long ago ;) we used a Brita pitcher and it was pretty good at removing the taste.

The process for removing sulfur from the water is an expensive and slow process. Disney sanitizes too much water in a day to be practical. So yes it has an off taste.

Though it was way too long ago ;) we used a Brita pitcher and it was pretty good at removing the taste.
I used to sell water systems, (and have opportunities to test water from various filters) and Britta's are GREAT at removing dissolved contaminants from water. While I have had the opportunity to compare them against Sulfur water, the sulfur taste/smell in the water is a gas and as such the Britta won't do very well with sulfur in the water.

That said, however, because it is a Gas, if you fill a jug and leave it open in the fridge overnight, the sulfur will dissipate. This may seem why the britta helps, because it's a slow perc through the filter.

The process for removing sulfur from the water is an expensive and slow process. Disney sanitizes too much water in a day to be practical. So yes it has an off taste.
Water systems with Sulfur (and Iron) need to be heavily chlorinated in a storage tank, which then attaches to the sulfur and iron in the water. it typically needs to have 30 minute of contact, then you have to put it through a large carbon filter to remove the now excess chlorine.

On a household level, it's pretty expensive, on a scale of Disney.... Real expensive. This process only removes the sulfur and iron (if any) from the water too, not filtering it otherwise. Of course the added benefit is that the chlorine kills many other pathogens as well, but some will still survive like Crypotsporidium (sp?).

I used to sell water systems, (and have opportunities to test water from various filters) and Britta's are GREAT at removing dissolved contaminants from water. While I have had the opportunity to compare them against Sulfur water, the sulfur taste/smell in the water is a gas and as such the Britta won't do very well with sulfur in the water.

That said, however, because it is a Gas, if you fill a jug and leave it open in the fridge overnight, the sulfur will dissipate. This may seem why the britta helps, because it's a slow perc through the filter.

You know now that I think back thats the way we used the pitcher., but at least for us the filter bottles worked.

As for why its not really "water" I found this informative.

So we have been here a few days now .... The water definitely has a taste, but it is not as terrible as I was expecting. When really cold, I don’t notice it too much at all. Funny thing, we got four bottles of spring water from the TP anticipating that we would hate the tap water..... it tastes almost the same to us, LOL. So it was wasted money on our part.

So we have been here a few days now .... The water definitely has a taste, but it is not as terrible as I was expecting. When really cold, I don’t notice it too much at all. Funny thing, we got four bottles of spring water from the TP anticipating that we would hate the tap water..... it tastes almost the same to us, LOL. So it was wasted money on our part.

Simply put, WDW tastes fine, all other water has a funny taste. :rolleyes1

Perspective. Yeh, that's the ticket. :teeth:

Surprised Disney has never spent money on water filtration systems. Most water thru out central Florida is bad.

According the video I posted above it would cost too much and they are no where close to the limit that would require them to do it.

At the cabins mid July. Filled up 2 (empty) water bottles every night from the tap and put into the fridge just to have something cold to drink in the AM..

Certainly not bottled water category but not horrible either.. Next time, i would at least try to plan better and bring more water to have just for the cabin but it certainly worked in a pinch.

One of the many downsides of central Florida. I really don't know how the people can stand it. Maybe the grocery delivery services are needed prior to arrival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter