Tasty ideas for a sandwich maker?

Lyn5

<font color=green>If the tag fairy stops by, green
I just got a sandwich maker last week and I love it. I have made pancakes, cheese sandwiches and pizza pockets in it. Does anyone have any great recipes they want to share? pretty please? :goodvibes

My Dad has a sandwich maker and makes the best Ruben sandwiches! He uses rye bread, corn beef, sauerkraut and Russian dressing. They are so good. I think he butters the bread on the outside of the sandwich.

I love pressed sandwiches! You can butter the outside, or you can also use a very very thin coat of mayonaisse to get a crisp crust also. Some of my favorites are:

fresh mozzarella, basil pesto, and sliced tomatoes

sliced turkey, carmelized onions (or sweet onions), bacon, and mustard (or mayo)

grilled chicken breast, cheddar cheese, arugula, and sun dried tomato spread

seared mushrooms and onions, grainy mustard, and gruyere cheese.

Thank you for the great ideas and recipes....I would have never thought of using mayonaisse on the outside. My DH loves the crispy/toasted bread, so I think he really like it prepared that way. :sunny:

You can also use your sandwich maker to make desserts! Butter the outside of the bread, and put either a tablespoon of jam or pie filling in the center. Top with second slice of bread, and cook. When done, sprinkle with pie filling.

My kids love hot peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, too!

Ooh! Never thought of mayo. I had a grilled cheese sandwich once at a greasy spoon in NC and the waitress asked if I wanted mayo on it. They put in on anyways and it was very good! I love how nice and crispy the bread gets in the sandwich maker.

Glynis said:
You can also use your sandwich maker to make desserts! Butter the outside of the bread, and put either a tablespoon of jam or pie filling in the center. Top with second slice of bread, and cook. When done, sprinkle with pie filling.

My kids love hot peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, too!
what type of bread do you use? regular white bread or something special? thanks....I think I will try this too...maybe sprinkle the top with sifted sugar :goodvibes

My weakness is Nutella on thick toasty bread. I bet it would be really good as a full-fledged sandwich. Maybe throw in a few banana slices for nutritional purposes.

While I was making the kids lunches this morning, I made a really simple and quick ham & cheese with the mayo on the bread for DH and HE LOVED IT!!!!! :love2: He ate 2 for breakfast :goodvibes tomorrow he may get turkey with swiss.

Lyn5 said:
what type of bread do you use? regular white bread or something special? thanks....I think I will try this too...maybe sprinkle the top with sifted sugar :goodvibes

I use regular white bread or sometimes cinnamon raisin bread, depending on the filling. I also meant to say, dollop the top with more pie filling and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Oops! That's what happens when my fingers move faster than my brain!

We do the mayo on the outside of the bread thing, but also sprinkle parmesan cheese on it before putting it on the panini maker (or sandwich maker). My DH's favorite sandwich is when I use leftover meatloaf, barbeque sauce AND ketchup on the inside with american cheese. Of course, the whole family loves a good pesto, onion, tomato and turkey panini. As for a dessert-type sandwich, we have tried ricotta cheese with any assortment of jams/jellies ..... haven't found one yet that we don't like!

I liked to make fried egg sandwiches in my sandwich maker. I'd put mayo and cheese or pizza quick sauce and cheese on the bread, then crack an egg on it, cover with bread, and close it up real quick.

The sandwich maker I have puts the crease in the middle of the sandwich which I do not like. Do you guys use a panini maker or like a George Forman grill for yours?

You can also bake pancake batter in a sandwich maker. If you want fillings, put a little batter in, put some filling in and cover with more batter. Filling's can be: jam, chopped apple or peaches, chocolate chips, whatever you want.

It is pretty tasty.

I imagine scrambled eggs/omlettes might work.

Lisa

I like to make tuna melt.

Tuna salad, and a slice of American cheese, or Tuna salad mixed with shredded cheddar.

Also, I like to use olive oil rather than butter on the outside of the bread. It comes out so light and crispy. Yum!

By the way, I have only done this on my Foreman grill. I'd like to get a small sandwich maker for work, too.

I have a Panini Grill. I use light olive oil for the outside of my bread and I buy bread from a local bakery. It is extra thick and really good. They make different breads like sourdough, white, wheat, cinnamon, etc.

I like sliced turkey, cheddar cheese, cranberry sauce & mayo and paper thin slices of a granny smith apple.

Or, ham, swiss, dijion mustard, red onions, red peppers (all thinly sliced)

**My DH made the toasted peanut butter & jelly a few weeks ago. It was surprisingly good!!

My mom has used white bread and put dark chocolate (slice with veggie peeler) and slices of hazelnut chocolate. Top with powered sugar. What a nice sweet treat.

DD,11 invented the "Hannahmelt"
It is bacon, turkey, American cheese, ham and bread. It's yummy in the sandwich maker! popcorn::

Lyn5 said:
I just got a sandwich maker last week and I love it. I have made pancakes, cheese sandwiches and pizza pockets in it. Does anyone have any great recipes they want to share? pretty please? :goodvibes
My dh and I were listening to the radio and heard that Elton John makes his grilled cheese sandwiches with raisen bread.
So here's our "Yellow Brick Road" Grilled cheese

Butter Raisen Bread and cook in sandwich maker with your choice of cheese. YUM!
We also like regular grilled cheese with buttered sourdough and garlic salt. DOUBLE YUM! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter