Tell me about Saratoga Springs Resort

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
Next trip, July 2005 :) , ending with 5 nights in WDW :bounce:

We are thinking of trying to book at SSR, but I'm not 100% convinced. I'd like to try it because it's somewhere we haven't stayed before and I like the idea of being able to walk to DD (although in July heat this might not seem quite such an attractive option!).

I'm hoping some of you who've stayed there might be able to convince me it is a good plan! Then I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that there will be availability at 7 months! ;)

Hilary :wave:

I will be able to tell you more next month :) :) and will be sure to post a quick rundown for you :)

Karen :)

Mandy - I loved reading about your SSR stay! I think one of the things you mentioned is one of the reasons I think we'd enjoy trying SSR this time, and that's the fact that Crossroads and other non-WDW areas are close by. Much as I love the other DVC (and WDW ;) ) resorts, I think it's quite difficult to find your way 'out'! Which is probably just how Disney like it to be!

Karen - I'll be waiting to hear all about it ;) 'Next month' sounds excitingly close, doesn't it?

Hi Hilary,

did the member update at SSR and also saw the rooms. They look very nice. The buildings are quite large and the outside areas are more like a "normal" building but that could have to do with the outside corridors. It is like your own appt. complex. It will be v. spread out, but the buildings that are open now are about 10 - 15 mins walk from all the facilities, also there are a couple of bus stops, so you could also take the bus to the main area.

I liked the decor, it's inbetween VWL and BCV. Not as dark as VWL, but cosier than BCV. Lot's of wood and warm colours.

I definitely want to stay there some trip... (and now I hear the rumours of AP discounts it may be sooner rather than later....)

Aruna

it is also going to be the largest DVC resort so availability should not be that big a deal............BCV is the toughie..........it is the smallest, most popular, and hardest one to get.............plus the pool is the bomb............

Just was there. Four buildings are complete and in operation. Eight more are under construction. Two look like they may be complete soon. When you ride the bus you are able to look into the construction site.

Some have concern about the size of the main pool. A CM cleaning the pool said there will be two or three more pools of this size spread thru out with more quiet pools and smaller other pools. Sounds like enough pools to meet the needs.

Walk to D/D from quiet pool is about ten minutes and walk to boat dock about five minutes. The path to D/D is along the lake shore and ends by the bus stops.

We pool hopped here when the OKW pool was down for rehab. Nice theme, pretty looking resort and a nice main pool. I was a little concerned that given the size of the resort I think the main pool is lacking space and may get over crowded. Only time will tell. For anyone thinking of getting Spa treatments it's an ideal location. Jana went to the spa there (when it was the Institiute) and it was excellent. Plus DVC members get a discount on Spa treatments.

Out of choice, I would probably leave staying at this resort until they are a little further into the construction of the resort, but I'm sure Disney do their best to minimise the impact of such things.

It's booked! :teeth: Looking forward to trying it out for myself in July :Pinkbounc

I have just returned from SSR and stayed in a 1 Br and also a studio with 2 adults and 2 kids. Its our first trip home since buying last August and here are a few of my thoughts. Please be aware, we have not stayed at any other DVC resorts so its a limited perspective and probably a comparison to ones we have stayed at in Orlando which are All stars and International Drive hotels.

Firstly, wow, wow and wow. Its superb, but more of a sensible perspective from now on.

Great welcome, very useful info pack on perks etc times open.

Its a nicely laid out site and very close to DTD, our room overlooked it, although when the fireworks went off the first night I though I was in a war zone. You can walk there, but only in daylight hours.
I thought the pool was small, but there are others which are of a reasonable size, but it will be busy in the summer months no doubt, even with the other pools. I couldn't really understand the fuss made about pool hopping in all the DVC literature until now.

Buses ran regular which was good, as only half built, I wasn't expecting that, never waited more than 5 mins for 1.

As for the 1BR, heaven, so large, nice bath, shower, DVD's for kids, dishwasher, washer etc, it has all you need and more if you are in the parks everday. If not, then its just perfect. Plenty of room for the blow up bed for the kids. Decor extremely nice, lots of small touches that really make it feel like home for the tme you stay. Had a balcony so could sit out and watch DTD fireworks etc as well and just sit in the sun in peace during the day.

Warning, the curtains and lining are so good though that it keeps the room so dark the kids were sleeping in every day as I was getting them up to get that extra hour in the parks, mean dad. The room was very peaceful, but we were on the end of the block on the top floor and heard no noises from passers by or the room next door.

Studio Room, I was disapointed, I know its smaller but its the small things in life that Disney do so well most of the time that makes it so magical, so to find 4 plastic plates, bowls and knives/forks was hugely poor. I know there is no dishwasher, and only a microwave, but you can wash up in the sink and its nice to have toast or cereal with real cutlery. Wouldn't cost much, and they have real cups so why not the full set please. This room wasn't on the end of the block and on the lower ground, it was a bit noisier. I would recommend the top floor. We did it to save points as Christmas was a points burner being weekends as well, wouldn't do that again unless there was just the two of us, and not even sure then, the 1 BR is worth all the extra points.

Had to check out and then in again which I wasn't expecting, I though I could have the same cards etc but not a huge problem, just 5 minutes in the morning re registering but they have your details.

Kids used the day club one day for a few hours and they really enjoyed it. All staff were keen to talk throughout SSR and were all extremely nice.

Overall, it was brilliant, and worth every penny, and I wouldn't trade for buying a villa anyday. Its a very relaxing place. Didn't use the spa but had a look round, very nice.

Thats probably enough for now, if I can think of more, I will add on later.

Sorry I cannot compare with any other sites Hilary, but this is well worth a visit from my perspective and so glad I purchased last year now, now trying to sort out when I can afford to get back there, I want 2006, but DW is insisting on a very long stay in 2007.

spm23 said:
Firstly, wow, wow and wow. Its superb, but more of a sensible perspective from now on.
Hey, this is DVC we're talking about - wow, wow, wow sounds just fine! Who needs to be sensible? ;)

Thanks for all the positive feedback - just what I was hoping to hear now we've booked. When you say you can walk to DD only in daylight hours, do you mean they actually close off the walkway? That sound disappointing as I was hoping to stroll along in the evenings when it will be cooler in the summer.

I hope we get a view like you had! I've requested top floor (always do) and being able to watch any fireworks from the balcony would be a great plus :)

You can definitely walk to DTD in the evenings, we did it often, it's a pleasant,well lit walk. You can wobble home after a cocktail ot two at Rainforest Cafe!!!! Great too if you have a little one sleeping in a pushchair because you don't have to disturb them to put them on a bus or in a car.

Mandy

The walkway by congress park rooms said that it was only available from dusk to dawn and wasn't lit. It cuts through areas which have trees, water etc so whether they will add lighting or not I am unsure.

Mandy, which way did you walk to it? Where did you start?

Hi Simon

We took the walkway by going round the "back" of a Congress Park building and then walking along the water itself. What a lovely walk too :) :)

Exactly when were you there? I wonder if our paths may have crossed as we stayed from Dec 30th to Jan 1st - I don't suppose you were the British chap in the pool with your daughter with a union Jack bikini? I was the one with the daughter called Amber. If so then hello again :) but I'm sure this would be too much of a coincidence!

Cheers

Karen
PS We loves SSR too. So tranquil - I don't think I have ever been so relaxed as sitting in the hot tub listening to the music there :)

Hi Simon

We took the same walkway Karen described. We started by the leisure pool. It was in September so maybe things have changed since then and it is no longer open at night. From what I remember it was always well lit, although I was never alone so maybe I didn't notice. For the most part you wander past the Congress Park buildings, it is only the last bit as you approach DTD that you walk through trees but it isn't very remote or anything.

The only problem we had with the walkway was we got some insect bites, but this was immediately after the hurricanes and I was told there were more mosquitoes about due to standing water.

Mandy

I'm really looking forward to SSR now :)

Can you tell me which buildings are currently open? Are any other SSR phases due to be open by July 2005 when we'll be there? Last time we went past on the boat from DD to OKW, it seemed only the buildings fronting the lagoon were operational - is that still the case?

Not us with the bikini's. I did look aout for British people, didn't see any at SSR apart from 1 couple and 3 children who travelled on the same flights from Manchester.

Congress park is 3 buildings which are open, not sure about the others and opening, they are certainly making good progress on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter