• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Ten night/ 11 day mom-daughter trip report! May 10-20, 2015

Now I must apologize for an even longer delay in the trip report! However, I do still intend to finish the report as I set out to do for anyone who is interested :) There's nothing like holiday vacation to catch-up on your to-do list!

Our second full day at Disney we spent at Epcot. The morning was definitely not what we had hoped for. This was an EMH morning and so we got up bright and early and arrived at the Epcot bus station by 6:40 AM. However, we waited and waited and no Epcot buses came! Forty-five minutes, four Magic Kingdom buses, three HS buses, two AK buses, and two calls to the front desk later, an Epcot bus finally arrived. This was very annoying, as our rope drop plan had relied on us getting to the park early! The rest of rope drop was somewhat of a blur- we ran (or “walked excitedly”) to the park entrance and they were just starting to check bags at security and let guests into the turnstiles (this was around 7:40). We managed to find a short security line and get to the front of the rope (toward the right/ Soarin) and ended up being on the first Soarin flight of the day despite our morning delay! We were excited to be on the top flight, so we wouldn’t see any feet dangling down above us (which is slightly less magical). Soarin is one of our very favorite Disney rides so our day was off to a great start! We were off the ride by about 8:20 AM, and were ready for our first ride ever on the new Test Track! We were in line at Test Track by 8:30 AM, and the standby wait was posted at 30 minutes. We decided to just wait in the standby line and ride together rather than going single rider, partly because we wanted to get the full-design experience on our first ride. I had read a lot of mixed reviews about the new Test Track, but I have to say, we both really enjoyed it! Despite our very limited knowledge about cars, we had a lot of fun building our own, and it was really cool to see how our cars performed on each part of the test. The design process also killed some time in line. The line was a little shorter than posted (took about 20-25 minutes), and we were off TT and entering the Mission: Space line at 9:03 (according to the pictures on my phone). We have always gone on MS Green, since we’ve worried that the orange would be a little too intense with the spinning and pressure (I did try the orange later in the trip though- stay posted)! We both enjoyed our tame green experience with essentially no wait and crossed over to the seas pavilion. We were there by 9:25, and got in line for the first Turtle Talk performance of the day at 9:40. Even though we are both adults now, we still think this show is absolutely adorable, and enjoy catching it once per trip. As a side note, despite some disagreement among DISers about the value of EMH at Epcot, I would highly recommend them. Within an hour and fifteen minutes, we rode Soarin, Test Track, and MS, and were back over at the Seas pavilion just after the park would have normally opened. The park didn’t seem particularly crowded to us later in the day either (probably in part because Epcot is such a large park), but even if the crowds were slightly larger, it didn’t matter to us because we already rode all of the headliners!

Anyways back to the Seas: After another very cute Turtle Talk performance, we took a quick spin on the Nemo ride, where there was no line at all. We walked right onto this, and were off just after 10. We headed back to the land pavilion, where there was still no wait at Living with the Land at 10:08. We really enjoy this relaxing boat ride, and seeing all the produce grown right in the land pavilion! We then used our first fp+ at Soarin around 10:30, where we skipped a 70-80 minute wait. So fun to walk right back on to our favorite Epcot ride! We had a Figment fp+ scheduled for 11:05, and killed a few minutes beforehand by sampling beverages at Club Cool. We had never done this before, but really enjoyed a stop over! Some of the drinks were very tasty, while others tasted kind of like antibiotics or a cough syrup. Refreshed from our drink sampling, we headed over to Figment, where the line was posted at 25 minutes at 11:00! This is a ride where we never remembered a wait at before fp+, and that quite frankly isn’t worth waiting more than a few minutes for, so we were glad we had the fp. We were on and off in a little more than five minutes, and headed back over the Seas pavilion for our 11:35 Coral Reef reservation. It is a tradition for us to have lunch at the Coral Reef on our first Epcot day, and we usually really enjoy this. I don’t eat fish, so it may seem like an odd choice for me, but they usually have at least one good vegetarian option, and mom really loves the fish here. We got a great seat up in the elevated seating area, and had an awesome view of the tank. Usually we are seated closer to the tank, but it was really cool to see back and up more, to get a better overall view of the fish and shark swimming. This was our view from our seat:
IMG_2850.JPG
I got the veggie chick’n breast dish with black rice and pine nuts, which I liked alright, but was extremely acidic tasting. Here is a picture:
IMG_2853.JPG
My mom got a fish dish which I think she liked also, but wasn’t necessarily wowed by.
IMG_2854.JPG
We both had the pomegranate lemonade which seems to be a universal Disney staple, and we both enjoyed, despite the blatant artificial flavoring of it. For dessert, we ordered a chocolate wave and a panna cotta, which were both delicious and rich. Taste-wise, we both preferred the chocolate wave, which was complemented very well by the raspberry sorbet. However, I think I ended up eating more of the panna cotta, since it was a lighter dessert and I was getting really full!

IMG_2855.JPG
Lunch went really quickly since were seated right away and arrived right at opening, so we were heading out about 50 minutes later. We were out a little earlier than anticipated and it wasn’t time for our next fp+ yet, so we stopped into MouseGears for my mom to get a visor- it was another hot and sunny day (low 90’s). We had fastpasses for Spaceship Earth at 12:45, but these didn’t seem to save us a whole lot of time. The fastpass line was very backed up when we arrived at 12:50, while the standby line wasn’t terrible (about 25 minutes). We had a very bizarre experience on our first Spaceship Earth ride- we were playing around with the interactive component when we first got on the ride where it asks you to give information about yourself, where you are from, etc. In doing this, we must have somehow accidentally selected that we spoke Spanish (either that or our car was already set to Spanish) because the entire narrative was in Spanish and we could understand a word! Not only that, but my speaker was broken entirely, so I could only hear bits of Spanish coming out from my mom’s speaker! This definitely took away from the enjoyment in the moment, but was also kind of funny in retrospect. After getting off the ride, my mom told the operator that my speaker was broken and hers was in Spanish, and they let us ride again right away without waiting in line, which was very nice. Needless to say, we appreciated the ride more in English! The interactive part at the end of the ride was hilarious where our screen made up stories about us based on the information that we had entered. We were now slightly behind schedule due to the unexpected second ride on SE, but headed over to the Universe of Energy to ride the Ellen ride just after 1:30, arriving at 1:40. My mom loves Ellen DeGeneres, so this is a must-do for us each time we go, even though it was super long (about 45 minutes). It was very nice to sit in the air conditioning for 45 minutes though, and I ended up taking a quick power nap on this ride (blasphemy to the Ellen fans- I know). We then headed back over to Test Track and got into the SR line, now that we had already gotten the full experience. The SR line took about 15 minutes around 2:25- 2:30ish (skipping over the optional abbreviated design section), which wasn’t bad at all, considering that standby was well over an hour. We enjoyed our second ride on Test Track, and were then ready to tackle the World Showcase! We were there during the Flower and Garden festival, so the park was particularly beautiful during our visit, and we stopped several times to admire the topiaries and flowers. We were over in Mexico by about 2:50, and were wandering inside the crowded Mexican “market”. We took a ride on the Gran Fiesta, which is by no means a must-see, but we enjoy riding every once in a while. There was no wait at all, and my favorite part is riding in the boat past the giant volcano! We then started exploring the world showcase- there’s currently not much to see in Norway, but we saw the little museum in the China Pavilion and Reflections of China, wandered around the Germany pavilion and inside the shop. This isn’t cliché or touristy at all:

IMG_2881.JPG

We then headed back to China for the 4:00 showing of the Dragon Acrobats. It was still brutally hot out at this time (thank goodness for the chilly pads we bought for this trip!) and I felt horribly for the performers, many of whom were in long sleeves! We really enjoyed the show, but it was very sad at one point, because one female acrobat made one small mistake when she was balancing glasses on herself and looked extremely upset afterwards/ started to cry. It was hard to watch because she was so talented, and must have so many successful performances every week! Here are a couple of pictures of the performance:
IMG_2889.JPGIMG_2883.JPG FullSizeRender-1.jpg
We then continued to make our way around the world showcase, stopping in Italy briefly to watch some of the Sergio show, which we did not enjoy at all. It was very cheesy and unimpressive compared to the Dragon Acrobat performance! We stopped for some Makidori (a flavored ice snack) in the Japanese pavilion, which was delicious, and I would highly recommend it! The orange flavor was particularly good.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
We then headed back to the American pavilion for The Great American Adventure show, which neither of us had ever seen before, since it is such a long show and difficult to time correctly when meandering around the World Showcase. We both enjoyed the reflection on American history, but it isn’t necessarily something that we are dying to go back to see again. It is pleasant enough to watch if you are there at the right time and have a spare 30 minutes, however. We saw the 5:15 show, and were out around 5:45. Our original plan was to see a Matsuriza performance at 6:00 PM, but it started pouring just after the American Adventure show, and so the 6:00 PM performance was cancelled. Instead, we took shelter inside of the Japanese anime exhibit, which we had also never seen before. I am not a big anime fan, but still enjoyed taking a quick walk around (especially to escape the rain!). We then took some time to explore the Morocco pavilion and watched Impressions de France, excited for the opportunity to sit down again in air conditioning. We grabbed some hard cider in the UK pavilion, and watched some of the 7:00 PM performance in the UK gardens, which was very pleasant. Around 7:30, we headed over to Le Boulangerie Patisserie, where we had an absolutely delicious meal. I would rate this meal as hands down one of the best of our trip, and we ate at a lot of popular table service meals! I got a brie and apple sandwich which was delicious, and my mom got a quiche which was also exceptional. We both got mousse desserts, partly because they seemed a little lighter and we had eaten a lot today. However, I was kicking myself a bit for the yogurt/fruit cup I got, which was quite average, when this place has so many exceptional pastries. Don’t make that mistake when you visit!
FullSizeRender-3.jpg
We lounged inside the dining area for awhile, since unfortunately, it had begun to rain again. When we left around 7:45, we decided to just find a place to watch Illuminations, rather than trying to squeeze anything in beforehand. We found a really nice spot where we could sit down and had an unobstructed view of the fireworks right in front of the France pavilion. It was a long wait until showtime, but we were grateful to have such good seats when it finally started! The rain held off for a bit too, which was fortunate. Rather than fighting the masses on the way to the bus stop, we decided to be sneaky and walk over to the boardwalk, and take a taxi from there. This was really a pleasant and relaxing way to end the day, and really worth the $12 or so. Illuminations ended at 9:12 and we were back at our resort by 9:35, to give you a sense of how quick this option really was! We went right to sleep, since we had to get up early again the next day for an action-packed EMH morning at HS.

And when we got back to our hotel room at the end of the night, we were greeted by this little guy:
IMG_2929.JPG

Wednesday was another very early morning, but fortunately, we had much better luck with the bus! We arrived at the bus stop around 6:40 AM and were through security and first in a turnstile line by 7:00. A much more leisurely morning! While waiting in line, our magic bands were scanned on three separate occasions to make sure that we were resort guests, which has never happened to us before! The rope drop procedure at HS was much smoother than the last time we visited, when my mom had a broken foot and we were almost trampled by a stampede on the way to Toy Story Mania! On this visit, once you scanned your band, you were allowed to go right into the park, rather than waiting with a mob behind a rope until it dropped. This resulted in a gradual trickle of people into the park (and towards TSMM) instead of a flood. Since we were the first in our turnstile line and we “walked excitedly” toward TSMM, we were the very first people to enter the turnstile (at exactly 8:04), which was awesome! We even had a moment to take a picture in the empty line.
IMG_2938.JPG
We are both terrible at these types of target shooting games, but really enjoy them anyways! We were off the ride by 8:10 and walked over to Rockin Rollercoaster, our second favorite ride in the park! There was only a ten-minute posted wait at RR at this point, but it was basically walk-on and we were in the pre-show by 8:24. I’ve decided that I like sitting in the front a little better on this ride so that you don’t get whipped around quite as much! We were off the ride by 8:33 and on our way over to the tower of terror. Again, this line was pretty much a walk-on, and were excited that we made it on all three headliners during EMH! We walked over to the Great Movie Ride afterwards and got there about 5 minutes before 9, so it was not quite open yet (this is not an EMH ride). We got in an already forming line outside the entrance and were right at the front when the ride did open. Another classic, family ride- I am sad to hear that it may not exist anymore in 5 years or so! We were off the ride just after 9:30, and headed over to the Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream exhibit (another attraction that I am VERY sad to hear may be leaving soon. He was truly an inspiring man). We left the exhibit in time to see the 10 AM Voyage of the Little Mermaid show next door, but returned later for some more exploration! It was particularly cool to see his office re-constructed, as well as the models for DL and WDW. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a cute show- not necessarily a must-do for us as adults, but we hadn’t been for 5 years! We were in-line for the Muppets by 10:25- always an enjoyable show! We then headed over to Star Tours around 10:55 to use our first fp+. However, the line was only posted at 10 minutes, so we felt it would be a bit of a waste to use a fp. Instead, we got in the standby line (which really did take 10 minutes) and switched the fp+ for the Indiana Jones show later in the day (which we didn’t really need a fp for either). After riding Star Tours, we stopped for a few quick pictures on the Streets of America and headed over to Mama Melrose for our 11:35 AM Fantasmic Lunch Package. We had never eaten here before, but were excited about the prospect of a three course meal and reserved Fantasmic seats! I ordered a caprese salad followed by a delicious pasta dish in a cream sauce:
FullSizeRender-5.jpg FullSizeRender-6.jpg
For dessert, we got sampler plates as part of the package, and I felt that all of the desserts were pretty mediocre. The chocolate one was the best imho! Since we were celebrating my mom's 60th birthday on the trip, our waiter brought her a special hat for the occasion!
FullSizeRender-8.jpg

We were each brought out our own individual dessert platters rather than having one for the table, which was nice. Again, with an early reservation we were seated immediately and in and out of the restaurant efficiently- this seems to be the way to go! We finished eating around 12:35 and headed over to the Lights, Motor, Action theatre for the 1:20 show. We enjoyed this one more than we remember liking it in the past, but this is a show that I won’t be terribly sad to see go. It is probably best suited for younger children, especially boys, who are interested in cars and stunts! Now it was time to use our TSMM fp+ (1:55 to 2:55) slot, and arrived there to use it at 2:08, when the wait was posted at 60 minutes. Needless to say, we were glad to skip that line! We were off the ride by 2:21, and headed over to the Magic of Disney Animation exhibit. It looked like the next “art class” was about to start, so we got in line in case we would make it in. We were the last two people let into the studio, and followed along with animator who taught us to draw Mickey! After using our 2:55-3:55 Tower of Terror fp’s, we headed towards the Beauty and the Beast theater, and grabbed a couple of popsicles on the way! We arrived to the 4:15 show about 35 minutes early, which was sufficient to get excellent seats.
IMG_2976.JPG
We then headed over to the Indiana Jones theater for the 5:15 show and used our third fp’s, which again, weren’t really necessary. However, at this point there was not anything else more worthwhile to change them to and they were beneficial in the sense that they allowed us to sit down earlier in an air-conditioned theatre! This is probably my favorite of the HS stage shows, so it was great to see it in its entirety (the rain held off!). These were the seats that we got with our fastpasses:
IMG_2982.JPG

After the show (around 5:45) we headed over to the Sci-Fi Dine in for our 6:40 ADR and had some mediocre food in an incredible environment. We decided to pay out of pocket for this one even though we were on the dining plan because we didn’t want particularly expensive items and had a big lunch. I got the Sci-Fi salad and a delicious milkshake, while my mom got a veggie burger (pretty average tasting). Sorry for the dark images!
IMG_2988.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG

If you couldn’t tell, we come more for the atmosphere than the food! We finished dinner around 7:30 and headed over to RR for a quick ride on the single rider line- the SR line wasn’t too bad at this time, only about 15-20 minutes (it can sometimes get even longer than standby!). Around 8, we headed back over to One Man’s Dream for a last look around, before heading to the Fantasmic theater around 8:30. It was SO nice to walk right up and have a reserved seating area, since we had reserved the Fantasmic Lunch Package, and the seats were perfectly central. We did have a bit of a scare since it started to rain a bit, and they started announcing that there may be a cancellation due to the weather. However, it ultimately stopped raining enough for the show to take place, and we really enjoyed it! I would highly recommend the Fantasmic Lunch/ Dinner package overall for the smooth experience, especially if you are interested in trying one of the participating restaurants. We left as soon as the dragon started breathing fire at the end of the show in an attempt to beat some of the masses to the exit, and this helped a lot! We were on a bus around 9:35 and back to our room before 10- very nice! We found another fun towel animal when we got there:
IMG_3005.JPG

We headed to bed, since yet another EMH morning was planned for tomorrow at MK!

I've really enjoyed your report. The pictures of the Dole Whips really made me want one! I can't wait to do an adult only trip with my husband in a few years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter