• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tent camping help for beginners, please!!

peg2001

<font color=FF6600>Can drive DH away with a banana
I would really appreciate any helpful direction for beginning tent camping. We start with no equipment and no experience. The party is me, 5'3" and not athletic, two children ages 3 and 6, and my sister who has a weak back and can do no heavy lifting.

Can you suggest favorite books or websites to get us started? I want to do some learning before we spend any money on equipment and supplies. We plan to do some overnight camping on weekends close to home until we gain experience and confidence.

For example, is buying a tent at Walmart a good beginning to see if we like camping or a waste of money because the equipment won't last a single trip. . .I don't want to spend a fortune but need stuff that is relatively easy for beginners to use.

Thank you!
Peggy

The best way is to go with someone who already camps. If they don't have extra equipment they may have a friend they can borrow from. This way you can enjoy camping with friends, learn, and see if it's for you.
Good luck

If you do a google search on family camping or tent camping you will find quite a few web sites to get you started. I also remember about.com having quite a few lists and such to get you started.

With no experience you want to start simple. Ask friends for a local camping area and try a night or two close to home to get you ready. If things go horribly wrong you can always go home. You have to look at camping as an adventure. :D You will forget things you find you need and will take things along that you don't use.

Borrow a tent your first time if you can. I have a Walmart special and it works great. I've had it a couple of years and we use it 3-4 times a year. If I was going to camp more than I do now I might invest in a better tent but this works great for now. Walmart has great buys on tents but they go fast. You don't want to invest a lot of money and find out you hate camping.

Basic supplies to start out:
Tent
Tarps
both metal and plastic stakes
mallet (to pound the stakes)
small rug for tent door
blankets or sleeping bags
duct tape (will fix anything)
rope
trash bags/plastic bags/rubbermaid container (when it rains they come in handy)
cooler
chairs to lounge by the fire
marshmallows and metal sticks to roast them

Everything more is luxury. I won't camp now without my airbed and a lantern. If you are going to cook be prepared for that. Simple alluminum foil and a pie iron can do a lot.

Camping is great fun and I can't wait till it gets warm enough to go.

You might check out your local Boy Scout Troop. If they have an upcoming spring Camporee go and check out the tents and equipment they use. Scouts are a very friendly group and will be happy to answer any questions you have.

GO Peggy, GO Peggy!!!

We were in your shoes last year, it will be great! I had 6yr, 3 yr, 18mo kids, and dh who wasn't excited to start. We had a great time. We bought a Coleman 10 X 10 tent, and any time we went nearby, I slipped out Friday while DH was at work and set up by myself - with the 3 yr old and 18 mo old to help LOL. We enjoyed it but my plans for next seaon included two week long trips, and dg said he didn't want to sleep on the floor that long so we bought a pop up. (I'd sell you the tent if I didn't think the shipping would make it more than Walmart. You could email me - if we are close I would meet you with tent and 13 X 10 screen awning for $60. I'm in Ohio.) The tarps a must to keep your tent in good shape.

Anyway, the most important other thing for us was a flocked air mattress - worth the extra from a plain one. We went hog wild with cooking stuff, because that's what dh thinks is fun. and it is. We found that we couldn't get a fire going without charcol lighter fluid.

good luck! let me know if I can help you - either sell you the tent if you are around me or let you know anything from the mindset that totally remembers the beginning!

Good luck!!

Micki

99% of our camping gear is from Wal-Mart and it wears quite well. We camp about 8-9 times per year. We have the 9x10 tent from Wal-Mart (about $40) and two of the 7x7 Wal-Mart tents (about $30) and one of the sunscreeens from Wal-Mart (about $30) and use them every trip.

Just make sure you waterproof them with seam sealer and Scotch Guard and don't put them up wet, or if you have to pack up wet, make sure you set them up and let them dry well at home.

The best thing I like about the Wal-Mart tents is that you don't have to thread the poles through "sleeves", the tent just hooks onto the poles. Very easy to set up.

Also invest in some 6 mil painters plastic and cut two pieces to fit the bottom of your tent. One for inside and one for outside. It will protect the bottom of your tent and keep it dryer inside.

Unless you already have sleeping bags, the air mattress and sheets and blanket are less expensive than a sleeping bag and more comfortable :-)

Oh Peg, I just love camping with DS! Of course, we're spoiled and only do it at FW!!! I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and got a really good deal on a Coleman 10 x 12 dome tent. Then I got a queen size air mattress and pump and a canvas folding love seat. I love the loveseat. It has cup holders in the arms and stores away in it's own little carrying sack. At first we just practiced camped in the backyard. (I was a former girl scout! ;) Then one day DS asked me if we could go on a "real" camping trip!:) That's when I started planning our first trip to FW. It was a total surprise to him and he didn't know about it until we headed out the door! For 3-4 people I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 10 x 12. The nice thing about FW is you are not roughing it! Once you get your tent set up, that is it! They have grills, picnic tables, comfort stations (with hot showers and washers and dryers). Just don't try to camp out in a tent during June, July or August or you might get a little bit wet :rolleyes: (just ask Bobcat :jester: )

TC:cool:

We found the Coleman air mattress pump to be well worth the cost. We also enjoy our RoadTrip Grill. Easy to set up, lots of space for lots of burgers, pancakes, potatoes, etc. And amazingly simple to clean.:) We used the Rubbermaid bins to store everything and our cooler on wheels is a must.

I agree with others, camp with someone who is experienced. Just once or twice and you'll have the hang of it. Enjoy!:jester:

Forgot to add, I find Farm Fleet (or is it Fleet Farm?) anyway, we find them a great place to buy gear.:)

Wow! I'll need to print out these tips to study. Thank you all for your time to get me started right.

My DH reminded me that we have a tent that he picked up on clearance a few years ago. It has never been used so I'll need to set it up and see what it looks like. At this point, he refuses to try tent camping which is why my sister will be going with us instead. I'm hoping that once we get some experience and get the kinks out, I can convince him to come along.

I live in Knoxville, East Tennessee, so am fortunate that there are dozens (hundreds?) of places to camp within a couple hours of home.

Micki - I appreciate your story, especially since you had a reluctant husband and did most of the set-up yourself with young children in tow, very inspiring! Thank you for the equipment offer, I'm sure you are right that the cost of shipping would be too high. I'll ask around for friends and co-workers to see if anyone has any equipment that they would be willing to sell or lend.

I will take everyone advice and see if I can find someone experienced to go camping with the first time. I will also look into talking to Boy Scouts as a woman I work with is involved in her son's troop.

I especially appreciate everyone who took time to list specific equipment suggestions. Just the sort of information I need!

Peggy

Peggy just to let you know I am a single mom and I have no trouble setting up camp myself. Of course the kids like to help and my 10 yo DD and I have the tent set up down to a science. My 7yo DS gets the poles for the rain fly ready for us and we can have camp set up in no time.

TC I'll keep good thoughts that you don't get rain in a couple of weeks. :p

Tuffcookie makes mental note....Close tent up before venturing over to the parks!:jester:

TC:cool:

Start out with the basics and then observe other campers. Once we saw what others were doing, we slowly added to our camping gear over the years.

One thing which is a MUST ... Big Rubbermaid tubs to store your food. It will keep things dry and together.

Each person in our group has a duffle bag which is where they keep their clothes, books, CD's, etc. Helps to keep things tidy and they can be stacked and stored at the end of your bed.

We have also purchased (sometimes hard to find) those little metal tables that fold flat. These are great for holding your beer, hot dog condiments, toaster, coffeepot, etc. We are able to keep the toaster and coffeepot on one of these tables and then use a large (leaf-size) garbage bag to cover it when not in use. Just tuck the bag under the legs so it doesn't blow away.

Also, we are the type that camps but hardly ever does any cooking. We eat cereal and toast (we never "rough" it ... always have electricity) for breakfast and then hotdogs over the fire or cold sandwiches.

DON'T FORGET A LONG ELECTRICAL CORD FOR OUTDOOR USE!!! It may not hurt to have one of those things that let's you plug more than one thing in (don't know what they are called). We usually use 2-3 cords on our trip.

Christmas lights (white twinkle ones) are nice to drape in the trees for a little "night light" or for coming back to your site after a trip to the comfort station.

I see some people (the women, of course) making eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc. -- what a mess to clean up ... especially if you have to heat the water to wash up the greasy pans!!! This is NOT my idea of a vacation.

The point is, don't feel that you have to make 5 course meals ... as long as everyone gets something to eat, they should be fine.

Start out simple and keep your eyes open to other campers for ideas that work for you.

:crazy: Poor trapped-parent - You are camping with the wrong crowd. Come with us, honey!!! We went last year with a few other families for a weekend and the men got a little competitive about the food. It was great!! And our kids kept each other entetained. We moms noticed that we were doing....uh.....NOTHING.

YIPEEEEEEEE. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

(good work if you can get it LOL)

My DH and I camped for 12 yrs in a tent (the trip w/ 2 kids did me in 1 was in a pack and play still so we bought a camper last year.) We Had everything down to a sience. The tent we started in was a 4 person dome. It was okay held the cloths and the air mattress (a must). but little else and it was a dome tent easy to set up but we tended to camp on lake fronts and in storms it would blow down and hit us (needless to say the next yr we bought a 8 man with small screen house attached great for buggy weather) and we still it. It's made by northwest territory which was at Kmart. the carry bag also held the ground sheet and tarp. Don't put bunggy cords in with tent!! I had an old dishpan and drying rack that nested together for dishes and DH would heat water on the camp stove for me. One thing we didn't do till we had the kids was camp with electric and water. A 2' piece of water hose is great. Rubbermaid to the rescue here too. 1 for the bedding andair mattress, 1 for cooking stuff (pots, pans, dish stuff too), another for food this one was see through.2 coolers one for meats and other really cold stuff another for drinks that got opened all the time. old door mat worked great outside tent to hold shoes. I'll keep thinking and probably remeber something else brain converted really easy to a camper. Oh yeah don't for get comfy camp chairs Picnic tables ge hard.

Some other items to consider:

matches in ziploc bag

5-gallon collapsible water container ("faucet" is at bottom, so you can use like a regular faucet)

small hammock (ah yes)

bug spray

flashlights (one per person)

radio (preferably with weather alerts)

small dustpan and broom for tent

candles

utility knife

clothesline

fan

Nick's mention of the broom and dust pan reminded me - seems like we always got at least SOME rain, or at least got that condensation in the tent. I'm a total freak about putting the tent away bone dry (kid with asthma triggered by mold alergy) so I always have a couple really big towells and dry the tent as I fold it up. (I may be a bit excessive...)

One of the handiest things we got for tent camping was a stack of Sterilite plastic drawers. The one we got has 4 drawers, 2 large and 2 small. We use the large drawers for clothes and one small drawer for toiletries like soaps, shampoo, deodorant, clippers, files, Band-Aids, pain killer, sun screen ect. the top small drawer is a catch all. We kept small flash lights, lighters, wallets, keys, books, cards, change for vending machines, knife, campground maps and info. The top can be used also for small clock, light, or whatever. One of the hardest things about tent camping is always having to dig through boxes or duffel bags for small items and not having any kind of a table to put things on. This set up gives you both!

We bought a popup a couple of years ago and still use the plastic drawers in the pop up.

We also used the large Rubber Maid bins: 1 for bedding, 1 for food, and 1 for miscellaneous camping gear like extension cords, power strip, lantern, large flash lights, ropes, clothes pins, hammer, extra stakes, light, candles, fuel for lantern and stove.

Army surplus stores are a great place for camping gear. I got a large duffel bag that is super heavy duty that I put the tent, tarps, stakes, poles, mallet, and extra tarp to use as a rain fly.

Also keep an eye out for garage sales.

I've been looking at those Sterilite plastic drawers thinking that they might work in the camper ... haven't yet decided to buy them though. I think they would be EXCELLENT for tent camping!!!

I got this checklist off someone here or at the popup camping site i check out once in a while. i have added and subtracted many things over the years, but it works well for getting an idea of what you may want to take and not.

I must tell you that i have stocked out camping bin (a large rubbermaid container that i keep stocked with camping stuff - when we decide to take off on a trip we just pack clothes, thow the bikes and the camping bin in the truck and we are off.) Just about every one of the things in that bin i got from the dollar store or the Good Will store. Cheap and functional! (just like me! HA!:teeth: )

- lori

OK - so these stupid "ć" things were supposed to be handy boxes to check in, but that didn't work. You get the idea though.

CAMPING LIST

ć Table cloth w/holddown clips
ć Folding lawn chair (2)
ć Lantern
ć Charcoal grill
ć Charcoal
ć Level
ć Shovel
ć Hatchet
ć Extension cord
ć Broom and dust pan
ć Plastic bags
ć Bucket
ć Radio
ć Newspapers
ć Firewood
ć Bug spray
ć First aid kit
ć Playing cards
ć Sheets
ć Pillows
ć Blankets
ć Wash cloths
ć Towels
ć Dish towels
ć Shampoo
ć Soap
ć
ć
ć
Kitchen Supplies
ć Dish pan (2)
ć Dish drain
ć Sponge
ć Scrubber
ć Dish washing detergent
ć Paper towels
ć Hand soap
ć Toilet paper
ć Aluminum foil
ć Plastic sealable bags
ć Garbage bags
ć Plastic wrap
ć Mirror
ć Plates, cups and bowls
ć Silverware
ć Plastic glasses
ć Pot holder (2)
ć Napkins
ć Coffee filters
ć Matches
ć Coffee pots (electric and non-electric
ć Hot dog sticks
ć Tongs
ć Spatula
ć Rubber spatula
ć Soup ladle
ć Can opener
ć Bottle opener
ć Scissors
ć Large spoon
ć Wooden spoon
ć Knives (3)
ć Mixing bowl
ć 3 pots
ć Fire starter
ć Citronella candles
ć Sleeping bag
ć
ć
ć
ć
Condiments
ć Sugar
ć Salt
ć Pepper
ć Hot chocolate mix
ć Coffee
ć Milk
ć Butter
ć Ketchup
ć Mustard
ć Mayo
ć Bread
ć Buns
ć
ć
ć
ć
ć

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter