Thanksgiving 2017 Buffet

were you seated within a reasonable time? that's what I worried about with the dl hotel version. Also, we will be a party of three. Will we end up sharing a table at either event?

We were seated within minutes. We were a party of 6, but they have tables if 2 and 4, so no, you won’t be seated with others.

I can’t speak to the DLH one though.

Last year, Storyteller’s was a character meal for Thanksgiving dinner. I don’t remember it being advertised as such last year either - I think somebody here mentioned it. We saw Chip, Dale, Koda and Rafiki last year I think. I’d have to go through my pictures again.

I think it actually said on the information page of Storytellers that characters would be on hand all day to "make Thanksgiving dinner extra special".

In regards to screaming kids at the DLH dinner - I'm going to guess that such a thing would be rare. While some kids do scream, are overly excited, etc., I see most people at DL attempting to keep their kids calm during such events, in respect to the others around them. I know with my kids, they aren't allowed to scream, push, throw fits, and so on. That being said, I have a three year old. We have at least one Disneyland Meltdown a day when there because it's overwhelming. I just pull her to the side and calm her down quietly. But what helps us is my daughter's "Disneyland Rules" - Be patient and polite. For some reason, asking her what her rules are can diffuse most situations. If anyone has been to the Grand Ballroom buffet and has a contrary experience, do share. I just feel like I see more parents controlling their kids than not - we go 8-10 times a year.

In regards to screaming kids at the DLH dinner - I'm going to guess that such a thing would be rare. While some kids do scream, are overly excited, etc., I see most people at DL attempting to keep their kids calm during such events, in respect to the others around them. I know with my kids, they aren't allowed to scream, push, throw fits, and so on. That being said, I have a three year old. We have at least one Disneyland Meltdown a day when there because it's overwhelming. I just pull her to the side and calm her down quietly. But what helps us is my daughter's "Disneyland Rules" - Be patient and polite. For some reason, asking her what her rules are can diffuse most situations. If anyone has been to the Grand Ballroom buffet and has a contrary experience, do share. I just feel like I see more parents controlling their kids than not - we go 8-10 times a year.

I appreciate that you do that, but believe me, I have seen and heard a lot of parents losing it and it just makes it super uncomfortable for me. I try and get out of the area as fast as possible, I feel that sometimes parents are trying too hard to see and do everything, and don't tune in when their kids are obviously too tired and just need to go back to the hotel and rest.

My questions about the other venues still stands, I am trying to decide whether to keep our Steakhouse 55, book at Storytellers (would love to see the woodland characters) Carnation Cafe, or try Carthay. If there are other sit down options that you have heard of (anyone) that are kind of off the beaten path like maybe Wine Country Trattoria, etc. please share?

I appreciate that you do that, but believe me, I have seen and heard a lot of parents losing it and it just makes it super uncomfortable for me. I try and get out of the area as fast as possible, I feel that sometimes parents are trying too hard to see and do everything, and don't tune in when their kids are obviously too tired and just need to go back to the hotel and rest.

My questions about the other venues still stands, I am trying to decide whether to keep our Steakhouse 55, book at Storytellers (would love to see the woodland characters) Carnation Cafe, or try Carthay. If there are other sit down options that you have heard of (anyone) that are kind of off the beaten path like maybe Wine Country Trattoria, etc. please share?

I don't disagree with you at all. I've seriously had moments where I almost step in to diffuse the situation, but not usually because of the kid. In fact, I have more issues with the way the adults behave most of the time. My daughter and I got caught between two people arguing in line at the carousel the other night. It's crazy.

I'm sorry I have no idea what to tell you about your question! I was planning on Storytellers if we didn't do the bigger because I've heard really good things.

We have been doing the DLH Ballroom for numerous years, and never have had problems with screaming kids, and those that know me will attest that that is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Good Morning! Although my daughter and I decided against the DLH ballroom dinner (we watched a specific Youtube video where mom was screaming at her kids, and it just seemed too chaotic for us) since there are just the 2 of us, I wonder which of these you would choose? Also, time wise, which one would be a good time for us, earlier or later? I'm thinking earlier than the traditional evening meal, maybe between 1-4p?

Steakhouse 55: We have a 5:20p reservation already
Storyteller's Cafe: I wouldn't mind some Woodland characters! I love the atmosphere. I know this is buffet style, although I prefer being served
Carnation Cafe: Right on mainstreet, but I would want to be outside, preferably on the street side, being able to people watch, but I know there are no guarantees
Carthay Circle: Is this meal too fancy? I want traditional roast turkey, mashed potatoes, etc. but I love their meals otherwise, and I know the atmosphere is so elegant!!

Oddly, there are very few Thanksgiving videos on youtube, and not really a lot of reviews of Thanksgiving meal itself with pictures included. I find that very odd since it's a big meal held once a year for eons! If you have any links to any reviews of specific restaurants, please share!!
Thanks all!!

I agree with @Malcon10t. I've been going to the dinner in the Disneyland Hotel Ballroom for years, and I've never encountered any situation involving screaming kids or screaming parents. If anything, people seem to be more civil -- at least once they're in the ballroom and not waiting outside -- because who wants to be the one to ruin Thanksgiving for their family or yours? I love the atmosphere, because people also seem to be really thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with family and friends at Disneyland, and I can really feel it.

The atmosphere in the ballroom can be a bit "lively." It's a very big space with lots of people coming in and leaving, getting up from their tables to fill their plates and sitting down, getting up to take pictures around the table or with the characters, servers coming to refresh your drinks, take away your plates, and refill the chaffing dishes -- but that's a buffet for you. Storytellers Cafe is buffet-style too, so you're going to get a lot of that same activity, and since it's a smaller space the commotion may feel a lot closer. If you really want to see the woodland characters, they also appear at Storytellers Cafe's regular morning buffet.

If it's just the two of you, Steakhouse 55 or Carthay Circle might just be perfect. Both are much quieter and intimate, and the food is fantastic at both. Last year's Thanksgiving menus were:
  • Carthay Circle Restaurant is offering grilled free-range turkey, harvest butternut squash tamale, creamed corn and turkey jus for lunch and dinner. For guests choosing the “World of Color” preferred viewing package, add soup or salad and crunchy butterscotch pie.
  • Steakhouse 55 is offering a three-course dinner, starting with butternut squash soup or crispy shredded skirt steak with maple clabbered cream. The entrée is roasted turkey Wellington with brioche stuffing, cranberry compote, Swiss chard and wild mushroom gravy. Dessert is sweet potato s’mores with sweet potato cheesecake and salted caramel marshmallow with dark chocolate sauce.
On any other day, I love Carnation Cafe, but it's not a place I would pick to spend my Thanksgiving. Their menu from last year included:
  • Carnation Café on Main Street, U.S.A., will offer oven-roasted turkey breast, bourbon gravy, cornbread stuffing and pumpkin pie for lunch and dinner.
Good luck with your pick!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I was able to score a 4:30p for Storyteller's, I think that's the perfect fit for us, I really like the sound of the buffet choices, and we love the Woodland Friends characters, and love the atmosphere in the restaurant itself, we can lounge in the Grand's lobby for a while either before or after and listen to piano music. It's the perfect place for us! We are super excited!!

I want to eat in the parks. Anyone have experience with Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle on T-day?
We had a great Thanksgiving dinner at Plaza Inn a few years ago. They had turkey with all the traditional fixings and everything was quite good.

Thanks everyone! I was able to score a 4:30p for Storyteller's, I think that's the perfect fit for us, I really like the sound of the buffet choices, and we love the Woodland Friends characters, and love the atmosphere in the restaurant itself, we can lounge in the Grand's lobby for a while either before or after and listen to piano music. It's the perfect place for us! We are super excited!!

Yay! I think you’ll love it! We all enjoyed it so much last year.

LOL Out of curiosity (and because my brother may or may not be coming with us on Thanksgiving now *facepalm*), I checked reservations for the Grand Ballroom for a party of 6 and there is still a ton of reservations. I'd say chances are good nobody really knows they're up yet.

yupikgal - I think I read somewhere else that tables are individual - not family style - at Storytellers, but not 100%.

Thanks! How is the seating arranged? Does everyone eat together, family style? I mean at long tables or do they have smaller tables for smaller parties?

It’s set up as the regular restaurant, so individual tables/booths. My own family was a round table for 6. It was perfect!

My family and I had a reservation at Carthay Circle on Thanksgiving at 4:30 PM which I was able to book sometime last week. Yesterday, we received a call from the restaurant letting us know that they will not be opening until 5:00 PM and we should arrive then. This seems strange to me as they usually serve lunch. Has anyone had similar experiences?

My family and I had a reservation at Carthay Circle on Thanksgiving at 4:30 PM which I was able to book sometime last week. Yesterday, we received a call from the restaurant letting us know that they will not be opening until 5:00 PM and we should arrive then. This seems strange to me as they usually serve lunch. Has anyone had similar experiences?
Hours change for a holiday sometimes. It sounds like they are either closed until 5 or aren't serving Thanksgiving dinner til then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter