The 2010 Baltic Thread--Cruise Tips and Planning

Did anyone do the leeds debark excursion? Or know or see anything about it? We're still hoping to do it.

We're going to the parkwood July 18.

It seems we may have a bit of wait until we can board the Magic on Tuesday. Since the cruise before us gets in late, we can't board until 2 PM. Our flight arrives at 7 AM in Heathrow. I realize it will be a long time through customs, getting the DCL transfer etc but I still think we will have some time.

Any suggestions on what to do? Can we leave the terminal (and our luggage behind ;) )? Is there anything close by we can walk to? Even if there is a shop or two, it would be helpful to keep the kids busy! After the flight, transfers etc, they may be a little stir crazy if we make them sit around the cruise terminal for a long wait.

Thanks!!

Didn't see if someone already answered this but the obvious answer is Dover Castle. You could drop your bags at the teminal and then take a taxi to Dover Castle (or you could walk but it's about a 2 miles or so). You can easily spend 3 hrs exploring the Castle and the Secret Wartime tunnels. It opens at 10 am. Dover Castle is a "must see" IMO.

~Mike

As I am packing and planning for my July 18th Baltic cruise, I've been thinking back to the Med cruise we took in 2007.

We were on the August 8th cruise, and the airline lost all our luggage. We spent 6 days in Europe with NO luggage for 2 adults and 2 children. Because it was the last med cruise, options were limited in the Disney gift shop. They had no bathing suits left for young girls, and my (then) eight year old daughter was disappointed.

In desperation, I got on the DISboards to see if anyone onboard had a bathing suit my daughter could borrow. I explained our plight on our DISmeet thread.

Later that afternoon, a bag full of girls' clothing appeared at our stateroom door. Someone anonymously left the clothing, and we were so touched! I have never known who was so thoughtful and generous, but three years later I still remember and appreciate their kindness.

In the end, we got most of our luggage halfway through the cruise. Two months later, we had ALL of it back. We were voted the "Best Shoppers" in the gift shops (an official award, mind you!). Eventually, British Air and our travel insurance reimbursed us for our expenses and more.

If the person who gave us those clothes happens to read this note, thank you. I'd love to know who you are. If I never find out, I'll just be sure to pay it forward when I have a chance.

Beth:love:

As I am packing and planning for my July 18th Baltic cruise, I've been thinking back to the Med cruise we took in 2007.

We were on the August 8th cruise, and the airline lost all our luggage. We spent 6 days in Europe with NO luggage for 2 adults and 2 children. Because it was the last med cruise, options were limited in the Disney gift shop. They had no bathing suits left for young girls, and my (then) eight year old daughter was disappointed.

In desperation, I got on the DISboards to see if anyone onboard had a bathing suit my daughter could borrow. I explained our plight on our DISmeet thread.

Later that afternoon, a bag full of girls' clothing appeared at our stateroom door. Someone anonymously left the clothing, and we were so touched! I have never known who was so thoughtful and generous, but three years later I still remember and appreciate their kindness.

In the end, we got most of our luggage halfway through the cruise. Two months later, we had ALL of it back. We were voted the "Best Shoppers" in the gift shops (an official award, mind you!). Eventually, British Air and our travel insurance reimbursed us for our expenses and more.

If the person who gave us those clothes happens to read this note, thank you. I'd love to know who you are. If I never find out, I'll just be sure to pay it forward when I have a chance.

Oh, what a nice story to read this morning!! It wasn't me, but thx for sharing.

BTW BA lost our luggage too & eventually replaced it all that summer...I think that was the year they were working on the new terminal & it was pure chaos making connections. This year was soooo much better!

This year we are taking a NONSTOP flight to Gatwick. We're also staying two nights (instead of one) before the cruise to give our luggage every chance to catch us. I have faith this trip will go more smoothly.

:sunny:

Beth what a great story:thumbsup2

Not me-never been on a Med cruise, but I am continously impressed by the caliber of people I find on these boards:goodvibes

So glad you got everything back eventually.

Awesome! I knew there were some secret benefits to being posting here. :-)

~Mike

Hi everyone...

I am on the July 6th cruise and am currently on Day 3 of London. My Internet time is limited, but for those who are visiting soon, we loved visiting Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, the Tower of London, and the London Eye. We did the walk across Abbey Road, which was fun. Also, it was fun stepping into Harrods. My two young boys loved the exhibits at the Natural History Museum. Just wanted to quickly pass along some of the things we have really enjoyed. London has been awesome!

What a scary story with a happy ending!! Love the disboard!:grouphug:

Hi everyone...

I am on the July 6th cruise and am currently on Day 3 of London. My Internet time is limited, but for those who are visiting soon, we loved visiting Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, the Tower of London, and the London Eye. We did the walk across Abbey Road, which was fun. Also, it was fun stepping into Harrods. My two young boys loved the exhibits at the Natural History Museum. Just wanted to quickly pass along some of the things we have really enjoyed. London has been awesome!

Thanks for the London report ! Have a wonderful cruise !! We'll be right behind you on the July 18 sailing.If you get a chance to report during the cruise we'd love to hear your thoughts !:flower3:

The ice cream bars are just regular ice cream bars (not shaped like Mickey) but they are completely chocolate covered.

The ice cream bars are just regular ice cream bars (not shaped like Mickey) but they are completely chocolate covered.

Thanks for that, but more importantly......are they good?!?

I didn't eat one. My tablemate did. I am attempting to use up my time before disembarkation so I can't post on one tonight...

No. They suck. They are like a Winn Dixie brand icecream bar. They did not have that really thick chocolate that the Mickey Bars have...just a very thin layer of chocolate. I ordered them once thru room service and never wanted a second.

~Mike

Oh please dont mention about lost luggage....Yes, we flew with British Airway!!! Typical....

anyway, what a lovely story and very nice people did help you that they were very thoughful....

Because we were on Med 07 too and I was glad that three luggages went missing after we flew home to Scotland and we got it over a week...

we glad that it was not start of the cruise!!! I do remember on first day of Med Cruise Lady was screaming front of her husband (he look cool)... as her luggages went missing for 3 days...:scared1:

I would not like that... I think in 07 that lots of luggage went missing... but this year should be FINE..... well I hope so

ps what date did you were cruising in Med 07?

Scottishwee35

I didn't eat one. My tablemate did. I am attempting to use up my time before disembarkation so I can't post on one tonight...

No. They suck. They are like a Winn Dixie brand icecream bar. They did not have that really thick chocolate that the Mickey Bars have...just a very thin layer of chocolate. I ordered them once thru room service and never wanted a second.

~Mike
:sad1::sad2:

~Mike

How can they screw up chocolate in Europe?! Argh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter