The 24 Hour Event is an Insomniac's Dream - Solo Trip Report May 2015

Yay for continuing your TR!

How dare you say Nemo is better than FotLK! Hahaha. Kidding. :) Both are good, I just happen to love FotLK more.

That is so nice of the server at Sanaa to say that. I would love for someone to say that to me when I sit down at a table service solo. That is one place I really want to try one day, but it will likely have to wait until I live down there.

I've never wanted to try Dinosaur because I was told it is really jerky. But you made me want to.

LOVE taking the boat from PO to DTD. And reading that made me realize that I need to try to work that into my December trip. I've only done it once and it's been awhile.

So how is the chocolate shake at POFQ? I love a good chocolate shake. I'm SO excited to be staying there for the first time. Need to try those beignets too.

Love all your food pics!!! :)

Must.... finish... trip report... I should be planning and getting ready for the trip, but I think I will try to wrap up the TR tomorrow instead. Priorities right? :D

I am well aware of being in the minority on the FN vs FotLK, but I figured I would at least voice an opinion and embarrass myself :laughing: It just tugs at my emotions a tad more than FotLK. But I agree, both are really amazing

In my opinion, Sanaa is definitely worth a visit at some point (aren't they all, at least once? haha). It wasn't quite on par with Jiko, but I enjoyed it plenty and would gladly make a return visit; my list of "return" restaurants is starting to get lengthy now.... :-)

And please don't ride Dinosaur just based off of what I said. I totally agree with everyone else, it is certainly a jerky ride. Wouldn't want you hurting yourself just so you can enjoy hearing Bill Nye's voice in the ride queue or picking up on some quotable one-liners. Don't say I didn't warn ya! :P

It's funny that despite never staying at Port Orleans, it is an area I tend to spend quite a bit of time in when not in the parks. Between the boat ride (which I do regardless just because it's awesome), Yehaa Bob and a cool atmosphere at night, it's a decent alternative to DTD, the monorail resorts or the Boardwalk. I plan on spending a decent amount of time visiting Disney Springs (and therefore the boat ride) this trip, but unfortunately I don't think I will have any free nights to see Bob, unless I squeeze it in on my last night as I make the drive over to Cabana Bay :sad1:

The shake was completely generic, and wasn't anything to brag about; I just wanted something other than a soda to go with the beignets. But the beignets are pretty tasty late-night snack (or breakfast option?), if you are into fried dough with nothing but air in the middle of it :laughing:

FINALLY! A Nice, Relaxing Day...

While I had been attempting to try and take it easy ever since the 24 hour event, I hadn't quite grasped the concept yet.... actually, now that I think about it, I really struggle with the concept of "relaxing" when it comes to my Disney vacations. Any else share in this struggle? I think part of it is that I stay at the Value Resorts, which don't really offer much in terms of wanting to "rest and relax". I don't really like swimming (at all) and the dining options are pretty laughable (as are the bars). This means apart from using them to shower and sleep, I would rather be anywhere else on property. THIS means I spend most of it in the parks; and with so much offered there, I am usually acting like a kid on Christmas morning as I am so giddy and excited to explore every nook and cranny and experience everything that is offered there. That is the motivation that drives me to those early morning rope drops all the way through to the latest EMH offered at the parks... I am constantly moving :hyper:

But I don't know if it was this trip's craziness exactly or that my age is slowly starting to catch up to me (hopefully it's the former :laughing:), but by this point in the trip, I was flat out exhausted. Therefore, today's motto: take your time! No need to rush to rope drop (seeing as how EPCOT's is pretty lame), no need to cram in rides (EPCOT is definitely "do-able" in a day), no need to go crazy with the touring...

... To quote Alice, "I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it." But today..... I did follow it! I packed light, put my hands in the pockets, and took a nice, relaxed approach to my day at EPCOT... and what a difference it made!! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day! Which started with a trip to Living with the Land...
DSC00673 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00682 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00691 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00696 (2) (1024x575).jpg

Followed by a trip to Sunshine Seasons for one of my absolute FAVORITE snacks on property.... the bread pudding!! I don't know what they put in their bread pudding at Disney (it ain't "pixie dust") but no matter where you get it from (it takes on several variations) it is definitely a go to for me! I love that stuff!!
DSC00712 (2) (1024x508).jpg
After the light breakfast, I was on a tear through the rides in Future World. I was able to use a FP for Soarin', hit up The Seas with Nemo, Journey Into Imagination, and make a trip around the Test Track, all in good time too! For it being Memorial Day, I thought EPCOT was rather empty that morning :woohoo:
DSC00720 (2) (1024x575).jpg

I then wrapped up the morning with my absolute favorite ride at EPCOT.... Spaceship Earth! I feel like Test Track is becoming a closer and closer second, but the memories and the history and the iconic-ness (word?) associated with SE will be nearly impossible to surpass for me personally. Throw in Dame Judi Dench for the win!

DSC00906 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00921 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00925 (2) (1024x575).jpg
(Hidden Mickey)
DSC00966 (2) (575x1024).jpg

All in all, this was turning out to be a FANTASTIC day at EPCOT!

Still Relaxing...

It was a very pleasant morning, and that was certainly reflected by what I did next.... took a morning nap at Ellen's Universe of Energy.... JUST KIDDING! (I think I am again in the minority when I say I love the ride so much that I refuse to use it "intentionally" as a nap ride :D) No, what I did next was spend a lazy amount of time taking in the waterfalls and monorail outside of the Imagination Pavilion... I don't know, perhaps it was just me truly appreciating the moment, but for once I didn't feel an urge to run off to "the next thing". I found some shade (it was turning out to be another hot day) and snapped some pics and just sort of took in the atmosphere (aka people watched) for a little while. It was a nice change of pace! Of course, I took some photos along the way too....

DSC00780 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00797 (2) (1024x496).jpg DSC00811 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC00813 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC00841 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00871 (2) (1024x575).jpg

None of the photos were really that great, but one thing I kept thinking about while I was hanging out there were of the memories I had when I visited there as a kid. Much like every other kid does, I remember sticking my hands out to try and "catch" the water and riding the original version of Journey Into Imagination and hanging out in that Pavilion and Figment and the Dreamfinder and just the creativity it all opened up for me. The place is such an embarrassing joke now that I am almost ashamed of what it has become. But because of the memories I have of that area, it will always be special for me ::yes::

A Leisurely Stroll Around the World Showcase

By this point, I was thoroughly enjoying my morning. I had already covered most everything in Future World and, at this point, the World Showcase was open and was calling my name. Normally, I plan out the minute-by-minute itinerary for the WS so that I can see all of the shows and rides and whatnot that is offered, but today there weren't really any plans. I wanted to try and catch the new Lumberjack Show in Canada, but there really wasn't anything else figured out. I had taken such a relaxed approach to the day that not only had I stopped taking notes in my journal, but I had stopped taking pictures all together! :eek::faint::laughing: THAT was how much I was enjoying my relaxing day!

I normally approach the World Showcase clockwise and I think that was what I ended up doing that day as well? :confused3 hahah sorry for the lapse in memory (perhaps I shouldn't wait so long to write a trip report....:rotfl:) I do recall a ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour and looking at Norway with so much sadness, missing my beloved Maelstrom ride and cursing Frozen for ever being created, but I also remember losing that feeling rather quickly though because for lunch, I got to eat some of my favorite pizza on property at VIA NAPOLI! Isn't it amazing what food can do to change your outlook on things?? :laughing: Seriously, I cannot think of a better pizza offered anywhere on property. I will contend that the pizza delivery at the resorts is actually a pretty decent option, otherwise I can't think of anything better. Can you? This is my third time coming to Via Napoli (only Crystal Palace and in December I can add Boma to that list of TS restaurants), that is how much I love the place. Because of a dinner that I was soooo excited for, I skipped out on my go to appetizer of the arancini and instead went ahead and order my favorite pizza dish there, the prosciutto e melone. This thing was great as always! I remember like it was just yesterday... ordering this on my first ever solo trip... My waitress that night was the nicest person ever! She even recommended the pizza! I have so much to thank for that night... And now a flashback to the past (aka I didn't take any photos, but here is a nice reference)....

DSC04228 (1024x575).jpg DSC04232 (1024x575) (2).jpg DSC04235 (1024x575).jpg
(Mariana saw me taking pictures of my food and then asked if I wanted a picture of me with my pizza. I thought it was a little weird (and funny) so then she INSISTED on being in the picture with me! Hahah Even the people next to me thought it was hilarious!
DSC04240 (1024x575).jpg

After the amazing meal was over, I started making my way next door in order to let the food settle....

Last edited:
A Pleasant Afternoon in the World Showcase

By this point, I could have called it a day and said that it was one of my best days at Disney! Seriously, that was how much I was enjoying this day! But seeing as how I enjoyed it so much, I wanted to continue the trend. So I made my way next door and took in one of the most patriotic experiences Disney can throw at you... The American Adventure. Like the new-found experience of the flag retreat ceremony, this one usually gets my eyes watering by the end. It is just a proud moment to see how far we have come as a nation (and yet how far we still need to go). Luckily for you, I started to pick my camera up at the start of this show! Honestly, I don't know why people like sitting so far back, I would recommend sitting just a couple of rows off of the front (the shots had no zoom)
DSC00970 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00973 (2) (1024x554).jpg DSC00981 (2) (1024x422).jpg DSC00986 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC00998 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01002 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01012 (2) (1024x575).jpg

With my stomach full and my heart swelling with pride, I ventured back out in to the World Showcase to finish my tour...

A Pleasant Afternoon in the World Showcase (continued)

Feeling 'distinctly patriotic' on Memorial Day and still not having much planned (still wanting to see those Lumberjacks though), I ventured back out there only to discover that the park had started filling up pretty quickly over the last few hours. Perhaps I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't care to notice (although the wait list at Via Napoli was snaking out the door when I got there), but I wasn't going to let the crowds or the humidity (seriously, it was just plain stupid how hot it got that weekend!) ruin that day for me. So I put my hands in my pockets again and strolled along, country to country. Here and there I would snap a picture but in reality I was just so present in the moment, so relaxed, that all I wanted to do was walk around and soak up the atmosphere and sights and sounds and smells. Eventually, I got to Morocco and took notice of the great amount of detail that went into that pavilion... It really is beautiful (and quiet too!) and one day, I think it would be really awesome to get a chance to visit it.

DSC01013 (2) (575x1024).jpg

DSC01024 (2) (575x1024).jpg

DSC01026 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC01034 (2) (1024x619).jpg DSC01043 (2).JPG
DSC01052 (2) (585x1024).jpg

Seriously, I love hanging out in that place!

Afterwards, I kept moving on, stopping once again, in France! I have seen this show half a dozen times now and I am still in awe of it! Seriously, that is some awesomely crazy talent right there!

DSC01056 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC01059 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC01065 (2) (575x1024).jpg

After stopping to see this show, I went and cooled off while watching their equally great show, Impressions de France. I know the thing is super dated at this point, but I do think it still draws enough attention out of me to continue fostering my dream to visit the country one day. It seems like it has so much to offer! For the first time, I really felt the draw of these countries' pavilions as they started to make me truly want to go and visit the real ones. Normally, I just sort of appreciate the shows or maybe the food or ride, but when you stop and truly take in the details and actually talk to the CMs there, hearing their love for their country really set in my mind the desire for more travel in my life. Who knew a day at EPCOT could do that! Mission accomplished, Disney! :-)

Unfortunately, there was one country I thought just the opposite of.... Canada. KIDDING! KIDDING! Okay before the Canadians out there go and grab their hockey sticks to beat me to death with, let me say that I truly truly truly do want to get up to the "The Great White North." One of my co-workers is from Toronto and the pictures and stories she tells me really makes me want to go up there and see the natural beauty of the place. Plus I like hockey and flannel and cool cities and maple syrup AND curling, so please don't be offended when I say that I do not care for the lumberjack show in the Canada Pavilion. I mean Off Kilter wasn't the best thing either, but I would have taken it over this. PLUS I didn't know that kilters, bagpipes and/or lumberjacks were really Canadian anyways? So hopefully all you Canadians aren't offended with me as much as you are with Disney thinking this best represents your county. What do you say to that, eh? Seriously though, I don't get how Disney thought a little ax chopping would be quality entertainment? :confused3 Plus hearing those chainsaws roaring from a mile away kind of takes from the overall peaceful atmosphere of the World Showcase. Call me a tree hugging hippy if you'd like, but I don't care really care for this show (note: I do hear they take the wood chips and recycle them into mulch used around the property) and it didn't seem like the rest of the audience did either (based off of there being a size-able crowd yet barely anyone laughed or cheered along). So I won't blame Canada for this one, I blame Disney.

DSC01076 (2) (1024x400).jpg
How awesome is this show? Ask the family in the front row that didn't pay attention to any of it....

But despite this minor hiccup, the day was still a fantastic one! Unfortunately for you all, I once again put the camera away and just kind of meandered around EPCOT some more. I think after hitting up Canada, I went back into Future World to re-ride several of the attractions and continue my trend of taking things easy. You will just have to trust me on this one because I have neither the notes or the photos to verify it :thumbsup2

The Perfect End to a Perfect Day

Apparently I had resorted to enjoying the rides back in Future World because, literally, the next photo after the Lumberjack Show was the start of Illuminations. Sadly, I think I took a nap while inside Ellen's dream.... I think that is called 'Inception' or something... a dream within a dream... :laughing: but regardless, I don't recall much from the evening hours (no I did not start Drinking Around the World :laughing:). What I DO recall was how fantastic my spot was for Illuminations (yes I just skipped several hours worth of trip reporting, so sue me! :D ) Going solo usually means I can squeeze in tight gaps between people during shows, even with a cumbersome tripod to set up. It is a little tougher with Illuminations though because while you may find some real estate, it isn't in a desirable location (to watch or to shoot photography from). I remember one time squeezing in between two food kiosks during Food and Wine (probably shouldn't have been there, but nobody said anything) and setting up shop there. Another time I stood on the ledge over by where they dock the boats for the viewing (between the UK and France, I forget what that area is called) and had a really spacious and unobstructed view. But this time I think my care-free mentality had gotten the best of me.... or so I thought! I grabbed a cronut (okay, I must admit that those things are pretty tasty! ::yes::) and started looking for a spot. Because I was already towards the front and didn't want to fight my way back to see if I could get set up in Japan or Italy, I found a spot that I thought was a pretty decent alternative....

DSC01099 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01100 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01114 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01116 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01119 (2) (1024x489).jpg DSC01120 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01121 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01127 (2) (1024x575).jpg

If you are ever in a pinch and see this spot open, it is great for a last-minute resort. I got there ~15 minutes before the show started and nobody was really that far back. If you still can't tell the space, there is a roundish/triangular little island with a railing around it, immediately smack dab in the middle as you are making your way in to the World Showcase. It looks straight out into the lagoon and has (in my opinion a pretty decent view of things, albeit slightly obstructed). But the FP view area is way up front and then the rest of the crowd tends to fill in just behind that space, leaving where I was slightly less crowded. Of course, people pick up on this and start gathering around you (much like they did when I was at SWW), but I will pat myself on the back for this great spot (by the way, you're welcome! :P). Our little secret though, okay?

Now, normally this would mean you are in a tremendous advantage as you are now going to be one of the first people out of WS and hopefully beating most everyone out of the park as well. Unless that is you have a 10pm ADR at Flying Fish and have to fight like a fish upstream (get it? haha) to get over to the 'international gateway'... Realizing that I had plenty of time to get there, I instead set up the tripod and had a little fun with some shots....

DSC01133 (2) (1024x575).jpg
And as the crowds lessened and I could move out of the way, I set up just in time to catch the monora..... oh wait I still had it set to 15sec exposures....
DSC01145 (2) (1024x575).jpg

I still like the shot because the blurred motion almost makes it appear as if the park is empty. Or it just reminds me of the great day that I had at EPCOT! Any way you look at it, the night was far from over though! I had great ADR at what was supposedly one of the best places to get seafood at Disney... AND I had a romantic night for one as I take a lovely stroll along the Boardwalk....

The Perfect Ending to the Perfect End of the Perfect Day

The park had cleared out and I then made my way over to the international gateway and to the Boardwalk that was just beyond it's gates. Over time, this has become one of my favorite places to relax and unwind after a long day in the parks. You can hit up Beaches and Cream for a decent burger and the always fabulous No Way Jose sundae, grab a drink in one of the great bars around the resorts of Crescent Lake (I like the Crew's Cup Lounge in the Yacht Club or Big River Brewery), catch some tunes at Jellyrolls...
DSC01199 (2) (1024x575).jpg
... or the end of the game at ESPN (I hear the food here is terrible though)...
DSC01173 (2) (1024x575).jpg
DSC01179 (2) (1024x575).jpg

...or if the Seashore Sweets shop is still open that is a great place to grab a cone and stroll along the Boardwalk

DSC01193 (2) (575x1024).jpg

... This night, however, I had something else in mind....

DSC01172 (2) (1024x575).jpg

Most people think saving your dinner until the late night, after park hours is a terrible time to dine. But for an insomniac who will be up for several more hours, this time slot fits in perfectly with my needs! I get a full day in the parks, uninterrupted by normal dining times (to my advantage I eat generally eat late breakfasts, lunch in mid-afternoon and dinner late, all in "off" hours). There were still several patrons at the bar and a couple of families also dining late at night, but I was seated immediately when I walked in and pretty much had the front section to myself (minus one other family). Now there is one negative draw to this, if you are one of those people (I would completely understand!), but dining in a mostly empty restaurant could have about the same amount of effect as one filled to capacity as it can be kind of awkward. I think my server was caught off guard by this too at first, but he was a really courteous older gentleman (I just wish I could remember his name/I didn't take notes) who after a few 'awkward' pleasantries he found his stride when he realized how much it didn't bother me dining there on my own. He gave several recommendations and talked beers with me for a bit (after a small debate about how I dislike wine and prefer to pair beers with my meals) and kind of made me feel like I ran the place, catering to my every need.... probably because I was the only one with needs at that hour.... but no matter! He certainly didn't make me feel rushed and constantly checked up on me or would glance my way from a distance to see if I needed anything. Normally, I would find that kind of waiting a bit annoying, but I was in such a good mood, and this guy was so nice and I was so excited to try the place out, that for this night alone I didn't let it bother me in the slightest. Unfortunately, for you all, I enjoyed it so much that I didn't bother taking pictures of the food, which is a bit of a shame because the presentation was equally a nice as the meal itself was!

I had to find the menu online to remember what it was exactly what I ordered, but here ya go. I started out with the Crispy Togarashi-scented Calamari and Florida Rock Shrimp with an Asian-inspired Dipping Sauce. This was soooooo delicious! And thank goodness I was starving, because the appetizer platter alone could possibly be considered a meal! Calamari can sometimes be hit or miss if not cooked properly and it's a deal breaker for me when you have to sit there and chew some rubbery substance for a minute or two just to break it down enough to swallow it. This was just the opposite. Its red pepper spice and whatever was in that dipping sauce made this a great tasting starter! It was not really chewy, well breaded, flavorful and great over all (as was the shrimp, but I really just wanted the calamari). I'd recommend that appetizer all day long! Unfortunately, I can't totally recall what I had as the entree because it isn't offered on the menu anymore. BUT thanks to Google I did eventually find the gist of it. The item was the chef's special Thunder from the Sea Entree (seriously, how could you NOT order something with a name like that haha). I do recall that night (it changes quite often) though that it was the Mahi Mahi (which is a big favorite of mine!) but I don't recall what was prepared with it. But what I do recall 100% was how AWESOME everything was. Seriously, I didn't have a single complaint about that entire experience. I can't really comment on the service since I was really the only one in there, but my server that night (if he is like that with all his tables) was exceptional! The appetizers and entree were great and the drinks (he gave me several free beer samples and a complimentary gin and tonic!) were phenomenal. Heck, I wouldn't even complain about the price. Yes, it is certainly on the expensive side of things, as is most all of Disney. But this was easily, hands down the best seafood I have had on property. I have been to Coral Reef two times, both were horrendous experiences, and I really was desperate for a place to get some good seafood on property. I have several more I want to check out, but this jumped straight to the top of the list. It is seriously that good! I hear they are going to "re-imagine" the restaurant for most of 2016, which is hopefully fantastic news. Disney says they will update the menu and the decor, both of which I think are already great. So hopefully they can make what is already a great choice that much more spectacular! It is totally romantic for a date night, yet fun enough (decor) you could take the kids (so long as they are well mannered haha) and again, the food was fantastic. It can easily hold its weight with any other restaurant on property (at least those that I have experienced).

Okay okay enough word gushing!! Time for some more pics...

DSC01147 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01163 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC01168 (2) (575x1024).jpg
(the creepiest chair on property....)

The Perfect Ending to the Perfect End of the Perfect Day

After my meal, I was in pure Disney bliss. Despite the chaotic events of the days before, I was totally at peace in that moment... that whole day really.... seriously, it was one of my favorite days at Disney and it required little to no planning or effort. I mean yes, I booked some ADR's and some FPs but the day was so much more reflective of how little I didn't plan that this is how I will really remember that day.

Because I wasn't so focused on detailed plans or rushing around to get things checked off the list, it definitely also allowed for a more reflective period. I must admit that throughout the day (and the trip, if I am honest), I kept having these niggling thoughts that I felt like I had "accomplished" so much of Disney World that I was starting to feel like I needed to venture out to the other parts of Disney unknown - Disneyland, Cruise, Paris, Tokyo, etc. I wouldn't say I was "bored" with WDW, but I think having experienced it several times now and inundating myself with news, blogs, photos, YouTube and everything else when I'm not there, made me feel like I was missing things elsewhere. I mentioned this (in a PM with someone else on the boards literally that same day I was at EPCOT): "And while I'm strolling the parks, thoughts are creeping in about the possibility of trying DL. Don't get me wrong, there are HUNDREDS of things still to experience here and I'll be excited to do so, but it also seems so 'familiar' and am wondering if I should change it up?" Has anyone else ever felt that way before about WDW? I dunno, just my honest thought sharing there. I 100% absolutely love WDW, but I can't help but feel there is so much more to fall in love with elsewhere too. Ya know? This is what I reflected on as I wrapped up my night on the Boardwalk.
DSC01184 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01190 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01191 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01194 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01198 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01202 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01203 (2) (1024x407).jpg

It was nearing midnight and I came to the realization that I didn't have a clue about how I was getting back to my own resort :scared: Luckily, I caught one of the last friendship boats from the Boardwalk over to DHS who was (hopefully) making their last rounds with the buses as their park closed at 11pm(?) that night. When I hopped on board, the skipper must have thought it was a little odd to confirm my wanting to go to the Studios at that point in time, but after clarifying I was "just trying to get home", we set sail on our journey.

But the adventure didn't stop there, because at this point, I must have been tired, in a food coma, in Disney bliss, whatever, but I accidentally got on the WRONG ALL-STAR BUS!! I didn't even notice until we pull up outside of Movies that I realized my mistake. It was kind of a great accident though, because it meant that I could finally check out the Movies resort, the only All-Star that I hadn't stayed in yet. I don't think I necessarily will need/want to at this point, but it was a fun resort to check out. It was also good to know that the walk from Movies to Sports is totally doable, even after a loooong day in the parks! I am a relatively slow walker and I think I got from one end to the other in ~10-15 minutes? Plus I kept stopping to look at all the great theming at the three resorts. I mentioned it early on in the TR that while the theming may be extremely vulgar and garish, it is equally fun and speaks to my "inner child". I should have been cursing myself for making such a dumb mistake, but on the contrary, my big ol' Disney grin came back in full swing. I felt like I was the happiest guy in the World! :-)

A FANTASTIC FINAL DAY

I am not trying to abruptly end this trip report, but this day picked up exactly where yesterday had left off. Nothing had really jumped out as overly special (except a truly wonderful meal at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue) but the entire day was simple, blissful, perfect. I think once you get in to one of those true Disney states of mind, there really isn't much that can ruin it. Today was certainly one of those days :-)

I had slept in just a little bit and unfortunately had just missed the Welcome show (that might have just made this another 'picture perfect' day) but regardless it was another hands-in-the-pocket, leisurely stroll down Main Street kind of morning. I did have a Be Our Guest breakfast ADR in a little bit, but I did manage to make a quick visit to Ariel...

DSC01213 (2) (575x1024).jpg

After a nice little voyage, I headed over for a lovely breakfast at the Beast's castle. This wasn't my first time in the castle, but I am still amazed at how good of a job Disney did with the theming here. From the moment you arrive on the bridge, to walking down the hallway lined with suits of armor to place your order, to sitting in that grand ballroom (I would have preferred the West Wing, but I still haven't managed to actually get a table in there), I feel it is one of the truly great themed restaurants on property. Come to think of it, are there really any that can compare? I mean, yes most all of them are themed to a certain degree (some moreso than others), but I think this is one is the best. It's not my personal favorite, but nonetheless it is pretty impressive. Anyone have any others?

DSC01283 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC01296 (2) (575x1024).jpg

This was my first time at breakfast, and I have to admit, this is a pretty great deal for those looking for a nice breakfast option. At first, the sticker shock might put you off (I know I was certainly hesitant), but once they brought me my food, I came to the conclusion that this was a pretty good value. For ~$22, I got the open-faced bacon and egg sandwich with a side of fruit and pastries and an o.j. For Disney price standards I think the breakdown was comparable if you bought the random items separately around the park, but honestly, I would have paid $22 just for that sandwich. I can be a picky eater and honestly the only way I really like my eggs are scrambled, but the poached egg wasn't bad (especially because the bread soaked up much of the runny yoke). Throw in some brie, bacon and arugula and you had a really nice combination of flavor. Even the pastries were pretty good; much like the fruit, it isn't much to comment on, but it really made for a large meal. Throw in where you are eating and it is a great overall option (especially when breakfast options are limited in the first place).

DSC01287 (3) (1024x575).jpg

So what is one to do after a pleasant meal? Why hang out in the 'Tangled' area of course!

DSC01299 (2) (575x1024).jpg

And then go and do something even better.... tackle the Magic Kingdom Mountain Range! :sad2: I had FPs for BTMR, Space and 7DMT (although technically not considered in the 'Range') and a ride on Splash squeezed in there too, it was definitely a quick paced late morning/early afternoon. The rides were as great as always, but moreso because I was in such a fantastic mood :-)

DSC01325 (2) (1024x575).jpg
(Front Row)
DSC01389 (2) (1024x575).jpg

After finishing both Big Thunder and Splash, I made a little pit stop in Frontierland, one so that I could visit those good ol' Country Bears again, but to also see these guys...

DSC01400 (2) (1024x575).jpg
(The Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob)
DSC01409 (2) (1024x575).jpg
(Notice how nobody is paying attention to them in the background? They are really missing out on a great little show!)

Another one of those often overlooked Disney touches, The Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob are really good, not only for their catchy tunes but for some comedy as well. Think of them as a more country folk version of the Dapper Dans. If you haven't stopped to listen these guys, you should check them out sometime, they are really talented!

A FANTASTIC FINAL DAY (continued)

Still attempting to finish off the Mountain Range, I was distracted yet again...
DSC01460 (2) (575x1024).jpg DSC01504 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01513 (2) (1024x467).jpg DSC01534 (2) (1024x389).jpg DSC01536 (2) (1024x535).jpg DSC01544 (2) (1024x439).jpg
I honestly don't know why I hadn't stopped to watch this show before. I am guilty in being one of those people that simply walks through the hub as this show is going on without giving it as much as a second glance. But today, I stopped to watch it... and I actually enjoyed it alot! From a fun musical score, to some great dance sequences, to a cute little storyline, Dream-Along with Mickey is definitely worth a watch! Plus there is a great Peter Pan/pirate sequence (which I am always a sucker for!) that sets it off for me. What do you guys think of this show?

Finally, after several distractions, I went ahead and finished off the 'Range' with a ride on Space Mountain (always a great time!) and then making time for a ride on the TTA. This is seriously one of my favorite rides, especially when you get views like this... DSC01606 (2) (1024x575).jpg

DSC01611 (2) (1024x596).jpg

After a ride on the TTA, I used my fast pass for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and then I still had time for a quick ride on the Haunted Mansion

DSC01678 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01704 (2) (1024x724).jpg

By this point, I had managed to cram in so much during what I felt like was an extremely relaxing, stress-free day. But the day wasn't over yet! I still had an amazing meal at the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue and a night chalked full of amazing photographs and wonderful, tear-filled memories. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Yahoo! Hoop Dee Hoop Dee Hoop Dee Doo!
DSC01730 (2) (1024x575).jpg
By this point in the day, I couldn't think things could possibly get any better: the weather was great, breakfast was delightful, the morning was taken leisurely with the afternoon full of great rides and shows and everything was really moving along nicely. As a fan, could it get any better than that?? ... Actually it could! And it did! After the rides and all, I headed down Main Street and out to the water taxi that goes over to Fort Wilderness for another memorable meal at Pioneer Hall!! I don't know about you, but the ferry boat and the water taxis on the Seven Seas Lagoon / Bay Lake really are a great way to slow down and 'relax' and take in Disney from a different perspective. This feeling even carries over to Fort Wilderness itself as the feeling I have when I get there is to find a rocking chair, close my eyes and take it easy for awhile. If you haven't been to The Fort, you should check it out some time. And while you are there, take in the HDDMR!

This show went under some controversial changes a few years back and I cannot attest to what it was like before. But honestly, seeing as how I laughed for the entire hour or so that I was there, I think the current version is a down right hootin' and hollerin' good time! "I guess we will just have to grin and 'bear' it? No! Tolerate it!" :D (only peeps who have seen the show will get the one liners... WHICH ARE EPIC!). This is the second time I have seen this show and it was just as good as the first time around. I don't know if this is a pro tip or not, but this is the second time I have chosen the Category 3 seating (balcony on left/right side) for the 4:30 show and both times now, due to not reaching capacity, they have bumped me down to Category 1 seating. I am sure the view from up there wouldn't be that bad, but it could save ya ~$10 per person if this is ever the case (which could add up to some decent savings). Tonight however, this was my view...

DSC01737 (1024x575).jpg
("Category 3" seating :thumbsup2)
DSC01742 (2) (575x1024).jpg
(Pat Terry Jr., on tenor banjo, as Smilin' Jack)
DSC01751 (2) (1024x545).jpg
(Let's Raise the Roof Inside the Hoop Dee Doo)
DSC01755 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC01765 (2) (1024x575).jpg
(You Put Your Right Hip Out... That's My Good Side)
DSC01794 (2) (1024x714).jpg
(Dreadful sorry, Frankenstein... call me 'butter' because I'm on a roll!)
DSC01814 (2) (1024x575).jpg (Johnny: Why Teddy it sure is hot out! Six Bit: Yeah, it's un-bear-able. Johnny: It must be 110 in the shade! Six Bit: If it's so hot out, why are you wearing that fuzzy, little hat? Johnny: Well Teddy what would you suggest? Six Bit: Well if I were you, I would walk around in my 'bear' skin) :laughing:

DSC01817 (2) (1024x575).jpg (Johnny: Where are we, Teddy? I can't seem to remem-bear!")

I could go on and on about how awesome this show really is, but I want to encourage you to come check it out for yourself (at least on YouTube or something)! For ~$60, it borders on a really nice TS meal or a light signature dining experience, but this, for me at least, is money really well spent. FANTASTIC and HILARIOUS entertainment, pretty great chicken and ribs and all the great fixin's (straw and then ya add the berry... strawberry short, strawberry shortcake!) and did I mention UNLIMITED beer! :drinking1 And one of the best parts about all of this was my server, Rob. This guy has been working at the Hoop Dee Doo for I think like 30 or 35 years!! The best part was that he had created his own little "script" when serving food and checking up on me, pun after pun after pun, they really should give this guy a part in the show (oh wait....), he was almost as funny as Six Bit! He even gave me one of his personalized pens to keep as momento for the occasion:

Courtesy of Rob or Bor
Serving you at the
Hoop-Dee-Doo-Musical Revue
Walt Disney World FL
The M.K. Brick E01*152

Rob was probably the best server I have ever had at Disney; if you get him as your server then you are in for a real treat :-) All in all, solo travelers and families alike can really enjoy this show, so go check it out!

DSC01840 (2) (1024x575).jpg
We hope ya'll enjoyed the show
Time to get a movin', gotta go
Thanks ya'll for coming to the Hoop Dee Doo
Hope you had a good time tonight
...Good night people, we are going to leave you now!

A FANTASTIC FINAL NIGHT

With my happiness riding high, I made my way back to the Magic Kingdom for one more round of magic and merriment at my favorite place. It is usually how I prefer to start and end my trips, at the Magic Kingdom, but this time it felt more surreal seeing as how epic things started off with at the 24 hour event and then coming to closure with a "picture perfect day" filled with some really great experiences. I had a few "different approaches" I wanted to take for the evening festivities, but before doing so, I took one last ride on both the Jungle Cruise and Pirates. Nothing could put a damper on my mood, including a 15 minute "back up" while riding the Jungle Cruise :boat: It was pretty funny, stuck there in from of Trader Sam, we requested our Skipper tell any and every one-liner for Sam, followed by making up birthdays to sing for and cheering for anniversaries of random things. The skipper even told some random jokes and followed by intermittently repeating the jokes usually reserved for unloading despite being 20 yards away from the dock (which we found to be hilarious) to help fill in the time. It could have been frustrating and annoying being stuck there like that, but everyone on board made the most of it and it actually turned out to be one of my favorite rides on the Cruise ever.

At this point, with the sun setting one final time, I slowly made my way over to where I wanted to shoot the Main Street Electrical Parade...

DSC02001 (1024x575).jpg

I don't know what it is about the Castle peaking out behind Liberty Square (perhaps because it looks out of place, yet strangely feels like it could somehow belong :confused3), but I remember passing by this location with the parade going on during a previous trip and took note of how the lights really illuminated the town square. However, by the time I got there, I couldn't squeeze in by the ropes, so I set the tripod up on one of the planters and settled in. It was a good 30 minutes before the start of the show (fyi - that is the maximum amount of time I will wait for anything at Disney), so it was fun to do some people watching, especially these couple of kids who had an epic battle with those lit-up bubble guns they now sell. Normally, I find those things to be really annoying (especially when your expensive camera lens is exposed to them), but tonight even bubbles couldn't upset me! :D

Eventually the introductions started, the music piping in, and I settled in to watch the show...

DSC02066 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02082 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02120 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02126 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02174 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02182 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02192 (2) (1024x469).jpg DSC02203 (2) (1024x575).jpg

I should note, in my defense, that I use a shutter remote when taking pics so that I don't have to be staring into the viewfinder for shows. Hence many of the times things aren't up to snuff. I mention this, not because most of these photos are a little "off", but because tonight I felt really drawn into the show and didn't much pay attention to the camera. I hadn't felt like this about this show since I saw it on my first trip a couple of years back, but I remember just having this childish sense of wonder and awe about the whole thing. Normally I first focus on the shots and try to line things up and then soak up what I can from the show. But tonight enjoying the show came first and I am glad I did, as I really took note of and appreciated the finer aspects of the parade, namely the faces of characters as they walked by. Seeing an "animated" Peter Pan/Captain Hook fight, "curiouser" expressions from Alice, the graceful smile from Cinderella, the show really felt more special than normal when I didn't have to focus through the camera. Add in the fact that I was in a fantastic Disney mood, and this was turning out to be a really special viewing of the MSEP.

After the parade, I suddenly became aware of the fact that my last few hours were slowly ticking down. I could have run around like the Mad Hatter, trying to cram in as much as possible. But due to my new-found appreciation for this so-called "relaxing", I decided to slow down and simply walk around soaking up the atmosphere and the details I often overlook when running around.

A FANTASTIC FINAL NIGHT (continued)

The last few hours were a blur to me. I knew I wanted to shoot Wishes from a new angle, but I didn't have a plan for the rides or what all I wanted to accomplish with what little time I had left. Because I wanted to shoot the fireworks from Fantasyland, I decided to hang out over there. However, before getting to my destination, I stopped to make some "final arrangements" with 999 happy haunts; that definitely is one ride that takes on a new persona at night and really is my favorite way to take in the attraction. After picking up my "death certificate" (how fitting as that's how the end of a Disney vacation usually feels), I made my way over to where I had initially thought I would shoot the fireworks from, outside of Pete's Silly Sideshow tent in Storybook Circus. But after trying out a few different lenses and not liking what I was seeing, I made a quick judgement call and ran to set up in another spot I had envisioned to shoot from.

I often don't use the fish eye lens because I generally find it more tricky to capture certain shots. It most definitely is a fun way to shoot, and I plan on using it far more often in future trips, but I really wasn't ready to go when I got to my location and heard that Wishes was starting in 5 minutes. Turns out that I need more practice with this lens when it comes to shooting fireworks or at least properly lining up my shots. What I had envisioned was getting the castle on the left side and the turret wall off on the right. But once the fireworks started, the space I was looking to shoot from filled in quite a bit and it would have been too difficult to move and set up elsewhere. So I lazily fired off my shots before realizing that this wasn't going to really work. I counted my losses and didn't even bother looking at my camera to see what I was shooting. I decided instead, much like the MSEP, to simply watch and take it all in.

DSC02228 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02233 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02238 (2) (1024x575).jpg

I will say that it is definitely different, watching Wishes from the backside like this. As the photos try to show, there is definitely more head turning here than at a tennis match with fireworks being shot from the castle and then again farther back behind Beast's castle. The more I think about it, I don't think my lens would even be able to really capture it all properly, as seen from the image below where I initially wanted to shoot from...

DSC02246 (2) (1024x575).jpg

At this point, I decided that I had had enough with the camera. It is nice to forever capture the moment on file, but sometimes that can really take away from being truly present in the moment. I don't recall much after this, other than taking a few "laps" around New Fantasyland, hanging out around Gaston's Tavern, watching the mine train whiz by. I remember visiting my pals in the Hundred Acre Wood and even having a good laugh spinning around in the Tea Cups (See! I knew the 'Mad Hatter' in me would come out at some point :P ). As per usual, I try to make the TTA my "final ride" of the trip, as it is a nice way to sit back, soak in the sites and sounds one last time and spend a few minutes reflecting on the trip. This time around, I kept thinking back to my initial first night of the trip, partying it up at the 24 hour event and how this had been the final ride I took that night as well. Talk about coming full circle! :laughing:

I closed out my time in the Magic Kingdom the same way I do any other night that I am there, hanging out around the hub and slowly making my way down Main Street to get my final glimpses in while I still can. Tonight, I was in absolutely no rush to get back to the room to start packing or to worry about sleep or anything else. I just wanted to be present in the moment. And of all the places to do that, a quiet and empty Main Street is definitely the place to do it in.

I pulled out my camera once more and decided to take a few photos of the hub in its (nearly completed) beautiful state. I must admit that I truly miss the "old hub" with its luscious green slopes, the Rose Garden/pavilion and the water ways that surrounded it all. IF they did have to make the updates, I think they couldn't have done it any better than what they came up with (if only they could remove those stupid, extra light posts they use for the shows). While I think it looks gorgeous during the day, there is an extra bit of charm to the area once those lampposts and the tree lights come on.

DSC02251 (2) (1024x575).jpg DSC02255 (2) (1024x569).jpg DSC02262 (2) (1024x575).jpg

I think what makes Main St. and the Hub at park closing my favorite place in the World, is because normally this place is jammed packed with people, the hustle and bustle and noise and chaos and commotion that I think often epitomizes what people think of Disney nowadays. But here, at this time, there is nothing but a peacefulness and serenity that you just can't get at any other point. I know I often complain or at least feel frustrated with how "crowded" Disney now is, but it is moments like this that make me forget about all of that and instead bring me back to what is truly my "happy place". As I always try to do, I stuck around for the "Kiss Goodnight", which as you may recall from a previous installment is an absolute tear-jerker for me. As written in a previous post: "Nothing gets as immediate a reaction as the Kiss Goodnight from me, with the exception of walking in to One Man's Dream. Seriously I hear that twinkling and the chorus starts and I get choked up. I usually try to find a quiet spot to have the moment to myself. Although on this past trip it came on in the middle of taking a 30 sec photo with CMs nearby. Nowhere to hide but when I looked over at them all teary-eyed they had the biggest smiles on their face. They definitely 'understood' me and that was really cool."

This trip was filled with so many firsts: the 24 Hour Event, Star Wars Weekends, restaurants, shows and more; and yet it never ceases to amaze me that despite my ability to quote rides, memorize shows, recall favorite meals, and laugh and cry at certain things every trip, I still find myself "curiouser and curiouser" about what all there is still to see and do at Disney. This trip had sooooo many amazing memories for me, and I was so happy to be able to share them with you all! So much so that I can't wait to share about my next big adventure.... my first ever Disney birthday, Christmas and DISapalooza celebration!!

Until next time.... See You Real Soon!

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your TR, I LOVE your pictures they are so beautiful... Thanks for sharing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter