The BIG one - Hmm. Things I didn't think...

Was that YOUR head exploding that I heard all the way up here in Westlake Texas while at work today, Elizabeth?

Breathe honey. The outcome, no matter what it is, will be known soon. Sorry it didn't come today. Crosses fingers. Dallas usually takes 2 and sometimes 3 days, even for local delivery.

Was that YOUR head exploding that I heard all the way up here in Westlake Texas while at work today, Elizabeth?

Breathe honey. The outcome, no matter what it is, will be known soon. Sorry it didn't come today. Crosses fingers. Dallas usually takes 2 and sometimes 3 days, even for local delivery.

Yep. That was my head.

Several years ago I had a part time job. They mailed a paycheck to me, and it never arrived. I waited and waited and waited. It got to be such a long time that they finally cut me a new check. WEEKS later the check showed up - it was addressed correctly but had been routed to TENNESSEE! :eek:

DH told the mailman the letter should have been mailed Friday PM, and the mailman was surprised the letter wasn't delivered Saturday. Yeah, buddy, no kidding! Unless some random loose cannon school employee decided to mail the letters from home or something, I just can't see why it is taking so long. Some rogue DISD whack job decided to keep the letters for his private collection. Who the hell knows? :confused3

The school website said "Letters will be mailed at 5 PM on Friday, March 12". On the other hand, it only said that for several days, then they took it down. I read somewhere else that letters would not start showing up to applicants until AFTER March 15, so maybe that one was right and the other was wrong. Waiting to hear from DS's friends to see if any of them got letters today.

Yep. That was my head.

Several years ago I had a part time job. They mailed a paycheck to me, and it never arrived. I waited and waited and waited. It got to be such a long time that they finally cut me a new check. WEEKS later the check showed up - it was addressed correctly but had been routed to TENNESSEE! :eek:

DH told the mailman the letter should have been mailed Friday PM, and the mailman was surprised the letter wasn't delivered Saturday. Yeah, buddy, no kidding! Unless some random loose cannon school employee decided to mail the letters from home or something, I just can't see why it is taking so long. Some rogue DISD whack job decided to keep the letters for his private collection. Who the hell knows? :confused3

The school website said "Letters will be mailed at 5 PM on Friday, March 12". On the other hand, it only said that for several days, then they took it down. I read somewhere else that letters would not start showing up to applicants until AFTER March 15, so maybe that one was right and the other was wrong. Waiting to hear from DS's friends to see if any of them got letters today.

Well, if they were not going to mail until Friday in the evening, the last pick up for delivery that day is usually around 4pm I think? If they didn't get them out until late Friday, then it's possible that it was still in sorting at the fascility on Saturday which means it wouldn't' make it to your local delivery center until Monday, and then out for delivery Tuesday.

At least that's my take on it. ;)

Sigh. Maybe.
I called the post office to ask if I can come pick up my mail before it goes on the truck for delivery. The guy told me to call tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes. I was hoping I could go get tomorrow's mail today, but I guess they aren't quite that fast.

Maybe they forgot to mail them.:eek:

Or maybe it fell behind somone's desk and is lost forever!:scared1:

:rolleyes1

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Thanks, Rob! You are a ray of sunshine. Remind me to thank you profusely when I see you in 80 some odd days. :rolleyes1

Believe me, I have already been through the scenario of what if his envelope was stuck to someone else's, what if it got put in someone else's mailbox at our complex and they threw it away, what if some piece of postal equipment shredded it. I have seen ALL of those things happen before.

Obviously the school has a record of who is in and who is out. I just don't want to wait another flipping WEEK to call and try to find out that information. You know their phones will be INSANE on Monday morning.

Waiting to hear from DS's friends to see if any of them got letters today.

If nobody's heard anything yet, then, it's not likely a post office problem.... Any news on that front?

I called the post office to ask if I can come pick up my mail before it goes on the truck for delivery. The guy told me to call tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes. I was hoping I could go get tomorrow's mail today, but I guess they aren't quite that fast.

:lmao:

Would it do any good to suggest you try to relax?

Of the 3 that I e-mailed I know one is out of town, one doesn't check her e-mail very often, and one e-mailed me back that they weren't home but she would check the mail when they got in and let me know.

Of the 3 that I e-mailed I know one is out of town, one doesn't check her e-mail very often, and one e-mailed me back that they weren't home but she would check the mail when they got in and let me know.

Is there a reason why none of them seem to be as stressed out about this as you are?

I've been following this thread, and, oh, this is torture for you! I'm having visions of Clark Griswald waiting for his bonus check to arrive. I'm sending good thoughts and pixie dust your way hoping that when your letter arrives, it's much much better news than membership in the jelly of the month club!

Best wishes!

Is there a reason why none of them seem to be as stressed out about this as you are?

Yes. ;)
The one has an older DD graduating from the "regular" high school. Both of her girls are SUPER, SUPER smart - her younger one would be OK if she HAD to go there. She can handle a full course load of really rigorous academics, which would pretty effectively separate her from the thugs.

The second one is a pretty laid back mom by nature, and I haven't seen her recently so I don't know how stressed she is. Her DS is tiny and quiet, so she may be pretty stressed. BUT her DS ranks VERY HIGH in district competition for the instrument he plays, so maybe she feels pretty confident.

The third one has a DS graduating from Arts Magnet this year. The school claims no sibling preference, but who knows what they really do? Also, her DD LOVES sports so I know her DD struggled a little bit with the thought of going to a school where there are NO sports AT ALL. Her DD is one of DS's best friends, so whatever happens I hope they aren't separated.

My DS is an only child. I am a HUGE planner/worrier by nature. He is not a huge academic guy, he hates sports. And this really is a one shot deal. If he doesn't get in there isn't a good alternative.

Kitsch4 - Thanks! :)

When will I be notified if I was accepted? If you live in DISD, you
will receive a letter in the mail after March 15, 2010 notifying you if
you have been accepted, placed on the waiting list or not accepted.

This was on the "Audition FAQs" page on the school's website. But on the "Audition Timeline" it says March 12, and on the main district site it says letters for all magnets are mailed March 12.

A looong time ago, back when I applied for undergraduate programs, Canadian Universities would stamp their admission envelopes with "Do not deliver before XXX Date". Is there any chance that's happened here? I.e. they might have sent it last Friday, but, they've marked it as don't deliver before the 15th so it's sitting? (If so, you should get it today, right?)

A looong time ago, back when I applied for undergraduate programs, Canadian Universities would stamp their admission envelopes with "Do not deliver before XXX Date". Is there any chance that's happened here? I.e. they might have sent it last Friday, but, they've marked it as don't deliver before the 15th so it's sitting? (If so, you should get it today, right?)

Hmm. I don't recall ever seeing any designation like that on US mail. At this point, anything is possible. I phoned the post office and spoke to someone different this AM. She said I can't come get my mail. So we are stuck waiting for the mailman. Again. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
I have had a bit of an epiphany.
They were running auditions for "no shows" who missed their original Feb. audition on March 10 & 11. Letters were supposed to be mailed March 12. BUT realistically, the only letters they could have printed prior to those last minute auditions were the ones for kids who didn't meet the minimum audition score. Everybody who qualified would have had to wait until the very last kid was finished on 3/11 before their letters were printed, because those last minute kids could have potentially displaced kids who WOULD have made it in onto the waitlist. I would imagine that even if the reject letters were ready to go on 3/12 that they held them until ALL of the letters were ready to go, and there is no telling how long that took. Last year the school had 650 applicants - this year it was higher. So it could be a much longer wait than we were initially thinking.

DS was accepted!!!! :yay::dance3::banana::love:

THANK YOU for all of your thoughts, prayers, and comments. You all have really helped me get through 2.5 weeks of waiting and I am so grateful!!! I can not wait to hug everyone in June! For those of you who won't be there, please accept my heartfelt thanks and virtual hugs!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ah, that's great! Congratulations to him and a big hug of relief to you. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter