The Current Disneyland Annual Pass Program Has Been Cancelled

so did we, but we went two times. How many times did you go?

Probably entered a park like 50 times? Not sure. How many times did you walk through the turnstiles during your 2 trips? That is how Disneyland counts. I can have "4 park visits" in the same day by just hopping.

It's an irrelevant number. Your point was trying to be "we spend more than APs on our visits as vacationers."

But to answer your question, we stayed onsite twice. Over 4th of July for 3 nights at the GCH and in October for another 2 at DLH. We live 15 minutes away.

Last edited:
I remember seeing something in early summer that said reservations would become the new norm and that reservations would stick around past Covid restrictions. Getting rid of APs makes that much easier to enforce. I know if I had a Signature and suddenly needed to make reservations, I would be asking for a refund.

Also, the comments that AP holders don't spend as much as other travelers is the opposite of my experience. When I didn't have an AP, I didn't visit much. Once I had the AP, it was a lot easier for me to visit and to start collecting stuff like Dooney and Burkes, Pandora, and spend a lot of $ of dining. Disney made thousands of dollars more off of my family when we had APs. I know I am not an unusual AP holder. Just by reading this forum over the years, I can see there are many AP holders who book the most expensive dining, stay in the hotels often and buy pretty much everything that's for sale. The AP holders that I know (and many who post to this forum) spend a significant amount of money on each visit.

I think Disney is using Covid as cover for doing something they wanted to do for a long time. There are far too many people that view Disney as a public entertainment utility that they believe needs to cater to their demands. Disney is obviously a private corporation that needs to answer to no one but their stock holders. I view this as a positive that will shift people's perceptions and hopefully drive some of the more entitled customers away.

I remember seeing something in early summer that said reservations would become the new norm and that reservations would stick around past Covid restrictions. Getting rid of APs makes that much easier to enforce. I know if I had a Signature and suddenly needed to make reservations, I would be asking for a refund.

Also, the comments that AP holders don't spend as much as other travelers is the opposite of my experience. When I didn't have an AP, I didn't visit much. Once I had the AP, it was a lot easier for me to visit and to start collecting stuff like Dooney and Burkes, Pandora, and spend a lot of $ of dining. Disney made thousands of dollars more off of my family when we had APs. I know I am not an unusual AP holder. Just by reading this forum over the years, I can see there are many AP holders who book the most expensive dining, stay in the hotels often and buy pretty much everything that's for sale. The AP holders that I know (and many who post to this forum) spend a significant amount of money on each visit.

This has been my experience, as well. The majority of AP holders I know in real life (about 20 different families between our friends and daughter’s schoolmates) spend a significant amount of money in the parks. Our family spends more than DLGal’s. And we go less often because we live two hours away. We never make day trips and stay at the DLH half the time. It’s not uncommon for us to run into people we know also stay at DLH. All AP holders are not the same. I can imagine Disney corporate has a breakdown of each “kind” of AP holder by pass tier. Regular guests are a different story. There is no way to track guest spending that I know of at DLR beyond ticket sales and hotel charges unless they swipe an AP.

Thank you. It is so true. I'm sure for every AP who packs a lunch and buys nothing while at the parks, there is at least one who drops at MINIMUM $100 a day at the parks. Shoot, we would be lucky to leave at the end of the day below $100. It rarely happened. Our average spend was $150/park day times like 50 park days a year.

Thank you. It is so true. I'm sure for every AP who packs a lunch and buys nothing while at the parks, there is at least one who drops at MINIMUM $100 a day at the parks. Shoot, we would be lucky to leave at the end of the day below $100. It rarely happened. Our average spend was $150/park day times like 50 park days a year.

True for us too! We do 2-3 stays at the DLR resort hotels (granted 1-2 are on my DVC points, but usually one on cash). We visit 2-4 times per month typically. We always rent a wheelchair for my Mom ($12 per visit - honestly should just buy one), multiple Dooneys each per year, spirit jerseys and other clothing and accessories, breakfast and/or lunch, and so much more. We book extras a couple times a year such as WOC Dessert parties or parade packages. I can tell you my spending went down a ton (based on my credit card bills) this year without having the parks open to shop at regularly.

It's been interesting reading this thread and seeing the differences of opinions on who spends more: tourists or APs. :) Both sides are calling the other side "entitled". Fun stuff!

We live out of state so have sometimes gone once per year or every 2 to 3 years on 5-day Parkhoppers. We've also had Annual Passes 3 or 4 times over the past 20 years (including starting in January 2020....). Obviously tourists are paying more per day for Disneyland access than anyone with an AP, otherwise the AP holder would have just bought Parkhoppers. So tourists clearly have an argument for being more valuable to Disney for entrance cost. But who pays more overall on everything in a year? Depends on the individual person's spending habits once inside the park. Wouldn't surprise me if many APs pay way more in a year, and also wouldn't surprise me if many APs pay way less in a year than a "tourist". But either way, on a per-person cost the crowded feel, I'd imagine, is due to the large number of APs. And Disney wants/wanted it that way so APs clearly win that argument: Disneyland wants APs.

With limited access in 2021 once the Park opens, makes more sense to me to make sure those clicks through the turnstiles are the higher-paying entrance costs a tourist pays. I'm betting Disney thinks people will spend big inside the Park for the days they are there since there will be so much to catch up on, eat, buy etc and fewer days in-Park to spread those costs over. So, my completely uneducated guess is that Disney is hoping for the best of both the AP and Tourist world: high per-day entrance cost and high per-day spending once those people are in. Makes great sense to me for 2021.

I'm super curious to see what the new "membership" plans are when those come out. I've always been jealous of those who live close enough to Disneyland to bring their cost-per-day entrance down into the $20 or lower range, sometimes much, much lower. So, as a mostly out-of-town tourist, I do feel cheated when I pay a large cost per day to enter only to find it way crowded so my cost per ride goes way, way up. When we are AP holders, we enjoy it more even if it is crowded because we know we are coming back in 2-3 months so we enjoy the "experience" and don't have to crank out the rides. Disneyland just isn't as fun to us if we pay a ton then fight crowds all day. And for a family where that might be their once-in-a-lifetime trip, must be discouraging.

Well, I've rambled. But at this point I am very, very excited the AP program is going away as we know it, even though we've taken advantage of it in the past and even though our vacation plans for the 10 months (time left on our APs) after Disneyland reopens have to be revised. The thought of a less crowded park is very interesting. Man I wish we could see the spreadsheet/model the accountants/marketers/managers at Disneyland have to analyze maximizing revenue via tourists and APs. I could geek out over it for days. ;)

Last edited:
I don’t understand this logic (sorry to single you out, I’ve seen multiple people thinking this.) If Disney didn’t want the monthly payment option they would have stopped it. Disney wants the monthly system, because Disney wants as many annual pass holders as possible.

What they REALLY want is their cake and eat it. They want pass holders, but they want to throttle the daily flow if possible.

Their new program will be a way to limit the daily park goers, but they will make the payment structure as low barrier as possible.

We can disagree, but I dont think they will want monthly payment option moving forward because of how limited the park will be whenever they open. But we dont know until they announce something.

True for us too! We do 2-3 stays at the DLR resort hotels (granted 1-2 are on my DVC points, but usually one on cash). We visit 2-4 times per month typically. We always rent a wheelchair for my Mom ($12 per visit - honestly should just buy one), multiple Dooneys each per year, spirit jerseys and other clothing and accessories, breakfast and/or lunch, and so much more. We book extras a couple times a year such as WOC Dessert parties or parade packages. I can tell you my spending went down a ton (based on my credit card bills) this year without having the parks open to shop at regularly.

Our savings account is growing at at almost exponential rate and we have more money in there than we ever have, by a LONG shot. I am 100% certain our lack of access to Disneyland is a huge part of that.

When the parks closed back in the Spring I wondered why I had more money than I usually do in my bank account. I soon realized it was because I wasn't in the parks every other weekend spending money on snacks and ears and other stuff I "had" to have LOL

When the parks closed back in the Spring I wondered why I had more money than I usually do in my bank account. I soon realized it was because I wasn't in the parks every other weekend spending money on snacks and ears and other stuff I "had" to have LOL

Half the charges on my credit card are no longer Disneyland related. Seriously. My statements are so short now. LOL

There are far too many people that view Disney as a public entertainment utility that they believe needs to cater to their demands. Disney is obviously a private corporation that needs to answer to no one but their stock holders.
Not entirely true. Disney has a prime responsibility to its shareholders. But if it doesn’t provide value to people/guests, it’ll likely have a hard time providing value to its shareholders. Guests rely on Disney and Disney relies on guests. Ultimately, though, park guests can survive without Disney. But Disney parks can’t survive without guests.

Last edited:
Not entirely true. Disney has a prime responsibility to its shareholders. But if it doesn’t provide value to people/guests, it’ll likely have a hard time providing value to its shareholders. Guests rely on Disney and Disney relies on guests. Put another way, park guests can survive without Disney. But Disney parks can’t survive without guests.

I'm sure they will shower the guests that are big spenders with perks that are far superior to what they received before. The guests that don't spend as much will get shafted. I don't get the local vs. tourist argument. Disney could care less if you live across the street or across the country. It is how much money you are spending at the park that they care about.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but I wonder if this will result in DL bringing back longer than 5-day tickets.

It isn't clear that they will offer any multiple day option tickets. I think the biggest discounts will go to those that schedule and pay far in advance.

After hearing the incredibly outrageous number of AP holders this move makes perfect sense in a current/post-pandemic Disneyland. There was absolutely no way to manage all those APs and try to reopen under a strict reduced attendance format. I can not believe Disneyland did not restrict the number sold. To me, that is the biggest takeaway from this. I guess there is a reason Disney pretty much owns the world. It's all about 💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵. They basically said if you want to come we need you to crack open that checkbook.

For those saying they are happy because AP packed the park how does canceling AP mean lesser crowds?

My whole family has (had) AP and just because they discontinue does not mean I will stop going as much as I do with the AP. I guess the main difference will be the discounts. At least for me and my family we go do DL because we love it and will spend any free time there having a AP is just a nice perk.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but I wonder if this will result in DL bringing back longer than 5-day tickets.
I was also thinking about this. Back in the 1990s, if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, you got a length-of stay admission ticket which depended on your hotel stay and was dated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter