The discount being lowered at POR at the end of January.

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Noticed Disney's price at POR for a 5th- sleeper Woods View room has went from $230 a night to $244 a night at the end of January. I think it's the discount that has been lowered verses the rack rate rising. They are slick!

Preferred rooms are up from $255 to $270. They too had a 20% discount earlier, but that has been reduced as well. Disney may be doing this with other resorts too that are still available.

I was checking for our end of February, early March trip yesterday. I checked deluxe resorts & the rates were the same for the general public, Disney Visa & AP offers. I know the AP rates were better than the others before. The availability was sometimes better with 1 discount over the other. But the discount for AP was no better than the GP or Disney Visa rates for any deluxe I checked. So I agree they do seem to be quietly messing with the discounts & rates.

I think as more rooms get booked under a discount, they can lessen the discount. Quietly of course.

I think you are right. The All Stars standard room went from $138 to $146 for the exact same dates in February. I know because I have been checking constantly to see what was available.

I think you are right. The All Stars standard room went from $138 to $146 for the exact same dates in February. I know because I have been checking constantly to see what was available.
Yep. Disney is slick. One must really be paying attention to see what they are doing.

That is how the hotel industry (and others) work. As things book up, prices get higher or discounts get lowered. Slick seems to imply they are doing something wrong. They are conducting business.

It was called a "Book Early and Save" room discount. The terms were that you would receive the highest discount if you booked by December 15. After December 15, discounts would still be available, but they wouldn't be as good.

It was called a "Book Early and Save" room discount. The terms were that you would receive the highest discount if you booked by December 15. After December 15, discounts would still be available, but they wouldn't be as good.

The Annual Passholder & Disney Visa discounts didn’t work that way. But as I posted above, the AP, visa & general public discounts on the deluxe rooms I was checking were showing all the same rate. They were definitely different when I booked when they first came out.

The Annual Passholder & Disney Visa discounts didn’t work that way. But as I posted above, the AP, visa & general public discounts on the deluxe rooms I was checking were showing all the same rate. They were definitely different when I booked when they first came out.
That I'm not sure about. But I *think* (and I might be wrong, but that's how I understood it) that OP was talking about the gen pub offer so that's what I was responding to.

It's yield management, same as the airlines. Inventory reduces, prices increase. Inventory increases, prices are reduced. That said, I am not positive if Disney says once their rack rates are published, they do not change. Most hotels do not abide by this (no change in rack rates once published), there is usually a clause somewhere that says something to the effect of "subject to change". Standard business practice where revenue is determined by an intangible "asset", meaning something that once it's use is passed, there is no value - such as an empty hotel room or empty airline seat. Once that night has passed or the flight has taken off, there is no way to recoup that potential revenue (aside from raising future prices).

It's yield management, same as the airlines. Inventory reduces, prices increase. Inventory increases, prices are reduced. That said, I am not positive if Disney says once their rack rates are published, they do not change. Most hotels do not abide by this (no change in rack rates once published), there is usually a clause somewhere that says something to the effect of "subject to change". Standard business practice where revenue is determined by an intangible "asset", meaning something that once it's use is passed, there is no value - such as an empty hotel room or empty airline seat. Once that night has passed or the flight has taken off, there is no way to recoup that potential revenue (aside from raising future prices).

The reason most of us comment on this is because Disney never used to change rates or discount amounts once they were published. It was probably 2017 or so when it was first noticed that rates changed mid year. In terms
of WDW, it has been a relatively recent change. No, keeping prices the same was never an announced policy. They simply announced “here’s the prices for next year”. And those rates stayed the same until the following year’s announcement. Same with discounts, they were released & unless dates were specifically listed for a change, they remained the same for the length of the promotion. Those of us who have been going for 20, 30, 40 or more years remember those days. So we comment on the way they’re operating now. We understand how the travel industry & supply & demand works. Doesn’t mean we have to like it.

The reason most of us comment on this is because Disney never used to change rates or discount amounts once they were published. It was probably 2017 or so when it was first noticed that rates changed mid year. In terms
of WDW, it has been a relatively recent change. No, keeping prices the same was never an announced policy. They simply announced “here’s the prices for next year”. And those rates stayed the same until the following year’s announcement. Same with discounts, they were released & unless dates were specifically listed for a change, they remained the same for the length of the promotion. Those of us who have been going for 20, 30, 40 or more years remember those days. So we comment on the way they’re operating now. We understand how the travel industry & supply & demand works. Doesn’t mean we have to like it.
I know, that is why I stated "That said, I am not positive if Disney says once their rack rates are published, they do not change." I agree with you, I worked for Disney for quite some time in many capacities, including front office, and don't remember them doing this, either. Pulling discounts and limiting the number of rooms, yes. But not changing publicized rates. Then again, its sadly not the Disney of even 10 years ago.

I know, that is why I stated "That said, I am not positive if Disney says once their rack rates are published, they do not change." I agree with you, I worked for Disney for quite some time in many capacities, including front office, and don't remember them doing this, either. Pulling discounts and limiting the number of rooms, yes. But not changing publicized rates. Then again, its sadly not the Disney of even 10 years ago.

No, it sure isn’t.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there could have been a glitch with AP/DV discounts this past weekend/early this week. I just went to price out GF for a client with the DV discount for the end of February, and it's definitely better than the gen pub offer again!

Is there an extra special event at WDW during the last week of January? Hotels are all booked up. AP discount is very poor. What's going on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter