The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I really was to buisy to take any pictures of the food, but went to moms and did all the cooking but the turkey and stuffing. Mom did those. And was busy on the basement trains. I got sick of tripping over stuff so figured I needed some storage. So , shelves it is. They are basement shelves so dont expect much.

So, I got some wood and used what I had leftover in the garage. I dropped some studs down the wall, and used a hammer drill and some lag bolts. Middle studs were secured with tapcons and a brace across the top. Shelves are groved to aceept the trains wheels. I put a few things on them. Problem now is I need like way more shelves. Lol. Its a start. 20231120_163209.jpg20231120_163209.jpg20231121_095058.jpg20231124_184943.jpg20231124_184907.jpg20231124_184915.jpg20231124_184931.jpg

Here I am anonymously displaying my baking (the pies.. I can't claim the choc chip cookies)... was a tasty after dinner experience enjoyed with coffee...nice relaxing day with family.

My impulse Black Friday purchase was jammies for the doggo... he was wagging his tail, but not sure if that was just for my benefit...lol.

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7048.jpeg

Enjoy the remainder of the long weekend, all!

@Sjm9911 The pink engine in your last pic... I know that there were sets that were marketed specifically for girls back in the day. Was that an engine from such set, or was that a pink engine made for some other specific reason? Just curious.... (and not suggesting anything about your masculinity :rolleyes1:laughing:)

No, that was a cheaper set painted to look like the girls set when my daughter was 2. The most expensive thing on the shelves is the Jersey central fm trainmaster. I had it authenticated.

I'm a little late to celebrating Thanksgiving but my family has a tradition I'd like to share.

The turkey cooks (including me) have a tradition that is a moment of peace and goodness before the crowds arrive. I cooked a turkey yesterday and it was a 19-pounder so I gave it 4 hours. After about 2 hours, though, there was part of it that was done and nobody had arrived yet. I gave it a tender taste with some vino which is the 'chef's privilege' in our family.

20231124_123439.jpg

With a glass of Pinoit Grigio it was a juicy snack before the family arrived.

Christmas Tree is going up this afternoon. 🎄

On to the next holiday.

Ed

Last edited:
So, I got some wood and used what I had leftover in the garage. I dropped some studs down the wall, and used a hammer drill and some lag bolts. Middle studs were secured with tapcons and a brace across the top. Shelves are groved to aceept the trains wheels. I put a few things on them. Problem now is I need like way more shelves. Lol. Its a start. View attachment 813333View attachment 813333View attachment 813334View attachment 813335View attachment 813336View attachment 813337View attachment 813338

Spencer, your pictures remind me of the last puzzle (which was a Lionel print) I put together this month at St. George's Island SP (FL) and Gulf SP (AL).

It was named, "Well Stocked Shelves". Your shelves look well stocked INDEED.

Ed

Hope everyone had a very good thanksgiving. Melissa and the girls went to visit the PA family. With no dog sitter I remained at home and worked on the house. A lot went into making things look good, the mud work is not something I excel at though with time and many thin coats I can make it look professional.....enough.

Painting on the other hand I do well with so once it was down to paint on Thanksgiving morning I pretty much had both color walls painted and blended so you cant tell the new from old. It was just enough time to shower up and head over to my sisters to see her family and my mom for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Saturday I started my day cleaning up the dusty disaster in the kitchen. I even managed to fix a few things along the way. And then painting pretty much the 2/3rd of the main levels ceilings. Finally got the trim finished on Saturday and we started to decorate for the season.

The final outcome....

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7043(1).jpg

View attachment 814081View attachment 814082
Ill leave it at that ed. Lots of stuff. Many more to unpack. Did I mention the shelves are full, and I took stuff off them. Its a mess.......

I did an inventory today, Spence, of my railroad. Not as many rolling stock pieces as you have, apparently, but I still have a lot. Don't want to post too much because DW may get wind of this. There may be questions like:

- How many locomotives (diesel or steam, hand car, rail truck) are enough for one railroad?
- Freight cars or passenger cars? Passenger cars like wooden Sierras (late 1800s), Heavyweights (luxury from the 1920s-40s), or Streamliner cars (40s-60s) sleek aero cars?
- Freight cars not lame, bland road names like B&O or Pennsy but colorful, interesting boxcars, reefers, or cabooses? Many options here....
- What road names? I will take the Southern Railway (green/yellow/white) when I can or widely popular like Pennsy or UP if in a pinch. Hershey is a favorite also.

Not in my wheelhouse to talk you out of your collection. My inclination is to only add to it. We may BOTH need an INTERVENTION.

:worship:

Ed

PS - my loco/motive power count as an example? Less than 20 not counting hand cars and "parts only" locos.

I did an inventory today, Spence, of my railroad. Not as many rolling stock pieces as you have, apparently, but I still have a lot. Don't want to post too much because DW may get wind of this. There may be questions like:

- How many locomotives (diesel or steam, hand car, rail truck) are enough for one railroad?
- Freight cars or passenger cars? Passenger cars like wooden Sierras (late 1800s), Heavyweights (luxury from the 1920s-40s), or Streamliner cars (40s-60s) sleek aero cars?
- Freight cars not lame, bland road names like B&O or Pennsy but colorful, interesting boxcars, reefers, or cabooses? Many options here....
- What road names? I will take the Southern Railway (green/yellow/white) when I can or widely popular like Pennsy or UP if in a pinch. Hershey is a favorite also.

Not in my wheelhouse to talk you out of your collection. My inclination is to only add to it. We may BOTH need an INTERVENTION.

:worship:

Ed

PS - my loco/motive power count as an example? Less than 20 not counting hand cars and "parts only" locos.
Dam you made me count. Lol. 56 locos. Not counting whats still in boxes. But most are unpacked, so probably like 60sih..... thats locos with tenders. Other stand alone stuff, trollies, gang cars inspection cars are probably 7. G scale is only 3! So thats low.

Dam you made me count. Lol. 56 locos. Not counting whats still in boxes. But most are unpacked, so probably like 60sih..... thats locos with tenders. Other stand alone stuff, trollies, gang cars inspection cars are probably 7. G scale is only 3! So thats low.

You may want to check the mix of road names. Or duplicates.

Choose ones local to you. Or unique in their motive choice.

Ebay.com or Trainz.com is your friend to unload some inventory.

Ed

So , we spend less and are home to be supervised. Win win for the wife.

But DW still asks "what are you doing up there all morning in the attic?"

I reply, "Nothin' " ....

giphy.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter