The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Of you really want to get crazy, add some beep people sitting in the train. I dont do it as mine is strictly toys , but in yours it would look good. If you need any more help spending your $$$$$ just ask!:duck:

People.

You don't say. :rolleyes1

Great idea, Spence.

I'll see what I can do.

ED

People.

You don't say. :rolleyes1

Great idea, Spence.

I'll see what I can do.

ED
"We honest" sells cheap people on ebay, or used too. They were just a bit small, so you made need "H" scale! Lol. Thay may fit, look in the reviews, lost modify them with a hot knife.

This might have to be a Midwest DIS Meet. I know there are a few DISers close to the Chicagoland area.

j

https://www.wbez.org/stories/whats-...rthplace/10d3a2ae-dc7f-4224-a71c-685715d2dde7

1697158503538.png

Animation giant Walt Disney and two of his brothers were born inside this house at 2156 N. Tripp Ave

What’s That Building? The Walt Disney Birthplace​

Chicagoans will be able to see inside where the famous animator and theme park creator was born for the first time this weekend.

By Dennis Rodkin
Oct 12, 2023, 6:00am CDT

With a white picket fence, a big front porch and an old-time wooden screen door, the house at 2156 N. Tripp Ave. looks like a throwback to something you might see in a live-action Disney movie made in the 1950s or ’60s.

The house is a Disney production of another kind: It was designed by Flora Disney, the mother of animation and movie giant Walt Disney, and built by her husband, Elias Disney. The couple moved in with two young sons in early 1893 and had three more kids, all born here.

One of the three was Walt, who would grow up to make movies like Cinderella, create Mickey Mouse and have massively successful theme parks. Walt was born in the house Dec. 5, 1901, roughly eight years after the birth of his brother Roy, who would grow up to be the business partner who ran the studio while Walt did the creative work.

bedroom inside Walt Disney birthplace

Wood trim was re-created throughout the house.

On Saturday, Chicagoans for the first time can get a look inside the house where these two brothers were born. The showing is a feature of Open House Chicago, the annual weekend organized by the Chicago Architecture Center when about 170 buildings throw open their doors for free tours.

“Walt came from humble beginnings in a little house in Chicago but he didn’t give up on his dreams,” said Rey Colon, the former Chicago City Council member who manages the house for its owners, Dina Benadon and Brent Young. “This house is symbolic of that, that even from humble beginnings you can follow your dreams and change the world. Walt did that.”

But there’s a caveat: The house has not been open publicly until now, so it’s likely to draw a big crowd on Saturday afternoon. So people who want to maximize their Open House Chicago time might want to focus on other sites.

Elias and Flora moved from Florida to Chicago in 1890. Elias worked in construction on the World’s Columbian Exposition in Hyde Park and started building houses that Flora designed. Along with the home for their family, the Disneys designed and built two others on the block, still standing at 2114 and 2118 N. Tripp Ave. Elias was also the building contractor for St Paul’s Congregational Church, built in 1900 around the corner at 2255 N. Keeler Ave. and now the home of Iglesia Evangelica Bautista Betania. According to Werner Weiss, the keeper of an encyclopedic Disney website called Yesterland, Elias Disney and Rev. Walter Parr of St. Paul’s were such good friends that Elias named his fourth son, Walt, after the pastor.

1697158571887.png
Iglesia Evangelica Bautista Betania is around the corner from the Walt Disney Birthplace.

The Disney family left Chicago in February 1906, when Walt was 4 years old, and moved to a small town in Missouri. Six decades later, Roy Disney said the family moved to get away from crime in Chicago. Describing the area as a “rough neighborhood,” he said two boys in a family they were close to “were involved in a car barn robbery. Shot it out with the cops, killed a cop. One of them went to Joliet [Correctional Center] for life.”

1697158597082.png
The Walt Disney Birthplace will be open to the public on Saturday, Oct. 14 for Open House Chicago.

Some of the family, including Walt, moved back to Chicago in the 1910s. Walt spent a year at the old McKinley High School (now Chicago Bulls College Prep) and took art classes.

In subsequent years, the Disneys’ old 18-by-28 ground-level cottage on Tripp Avenue was lifted up onto a foundation, giving it an English basement typical of Chicago homes, expanded off the back and divided into a two-flat.

In 1991, city officials started talking about landmarking the building, but the owner of two decades pushed against the idea. Six years later the effort fizzled because by then the owner, June Saathoff, was firmly against it. Landmarking, she said, “would impose unfair restrictions” on the property, such as preventing demolition and requiring landmarks officials to sign off on changes to the windows. City officials dropped the idea, deferring to the property owner.

Saathoff sold the building in 2002 for $190,000, according to the Cook County Clerk, and it sold again in 2013 for $173,000 to Benadon and Young.

The home looked nowhere near as charming as it does now. It was wrapped in white aluminum siding then and had no front porch. The house has been transformed, using clues from a pair of photos from the Disneys’ years in the house, details of the other two houses Elias and Flora did on the block, and what Colon calls “forensic demolition,” where they stripped away latter-day details to find out what was underneath.

1697158651056.png
The green part of the house in the back was added later, while the yellow section is the original structure.

Among the discoveries were original wood trim in a hall closet they used to re-create trim throughout the house. When they pulled up a layer of flooring on the second floor, they found not only the original floor but a secret compartment in the primary bedroom’s floorboards. Colon later learned from a Disney archivist that Walt saved the tin box that fit into that compartment, where his parents kept their kids’ birth certificates and other important papers. The front screen door’s Victorian wood curves are re-created from a photo of Walt and his baby sister, Ruth, that has the door in the background.

inside Walt Disney Birthplace

Inside the Walt Disney Birthplace.

Under the aluminum siding, owners found what they say they believe is original 1890s wood siding. On the long side of the house, they’ve delineated the Disney-years house from its later addition: yellow is the original part, and the green part toward the back is what was added later.

The work is far from finished. Colon, who estimates the work so far has cost “an easy million,” says plans call for a very Disney-esque feature. The rear interior wall of the original house has no windows, because there are latter-day rooms on the other side. Colon says Young and Benadon envision putting up artificial windows with high-tech display screens that show a re-created early-1900s scene out back. “You’d see and hear horses riding by,” as the Disneys would have, he said.

There’s no firm timeline, Colon said. In 2015, the owners told the Chicago Tribune they might have it open by the end of that year. Eight years later, it’s not done.

Even so, visitors show up all the time, sometimes unannounced. Colon said he often gets calls from people visiting Chicago from other countries who want to see the building, and he lets them in. He has seen them arrive wearing Mickey Mouse ears or other Disney clothing. He showed one man through the house who spoke in a Mickey Mouse falsetto the entire time. He finds Disney character dolls and books left on the front steps in tribute.

“I grew up watching Disney on TV and Disney movies like everybody else,” Colon said. “I consider myself a fan, but when I see these people I feel like I’m a lightweight.”

Time flies when you're having fun. Truck turned out to be damaged sidewall. Tire replaced and had no issues last week. I am going to replace the front stabalizer though, it looks like its starting to weep fluid. Maybe that is the source of my cupping issues.

So maybe sometime soon I will get the new handrail installed. When I did the test fit it hit the slide it was touching and I want to make sure its not an issue. I have not looked at it all week as work has just been super crazy. I was so looking forward to getting things done this weekend and Mother Nature said...nah bro its time to rain!

So I guess this afternoon is mowing the lawn (seriously just enough rain and sun it wont stop growing) and work in the garage while the lawn gets watered for the week. Guess then I might have some pictures to share of the handrail install and the garage work.

We sometimes see a REA sign & would love to borrow it & keep it, but so far no luck. Our Dads retired from REA & Arnold worked their in between A&M breaks.

I got my new-to-me REA (Railroad Express Agency) rolling stock today from Mr. Mailman, @friendofeeyore . My new acquisition is a steel boxcar in the trademark REA green color.

The other piece I already had in my collection was a wooden refrigerated boxcar ("reefer") in the same green.

REA was the UPS of its day. Horse-drawn or gas trucks in towns would get packages, take them to the REA office at the local train station, and transfer them between cities by dedicated REA boxcars and reefers with their contents handled immediately by REA (not railroad) workers. Customers could also take the package directly to the REA rail office. When they reached their destination town by rail, REA would make the delivery. It ceased operating in 1970.

There is one more REA item I would like to add but I may have to pause to let the budget allow for it.

Ed

Last edited:

Could be anything, but with the Disney font for Historic, it does make you wonder.

It could be just a graphic designer that liked the font and as Disney fans, we recognize it. Or it could be intentional AND a Walt exhibition. The family did live there after Marceline.

j

Could be anything, but with the Disney font for Historic, it does make you wonder.

It could be just a graphic designer that liked the font and as Disney fans, we recognize it. Or it could be intentional AND a Walt exhibition. The family did live there after Marceline.

j
There is usually a local interest story once or twice a year on the efforts to revive Walt's first studio downtown KC.

Maybe this is a compromise or way to raise some bucks to keep the funding going...pure speculation from me.

Ed, thank you for the pictures. I love the trains! Yes, My Dad was the agent (boss) of offices in Big Spring,Odessa, Lubbock & Dallas, Tx. Sometimes Mother had to use the car, so we would pick up Dad after work. Sometimes one of the trains would come speeding thru - it would scare me because so close to his back door, that I would run into the warehouse. Sometime a dog would be shipping somewhere & would have to stay over night for another train, but we begged Dad to bring it home until the dog's train would come in. I have so many great memories with Dad at the REA office.

Finally a really nice weekend. Amazing weather and got lots done around the house in preparations for the winter. Got some cars washed including the truck! And finally swapped out the old grab handle for the new safe-t-rail entry railing.

IMG_6930.jpegIMG_6932.jpeg

Compared to the 4 screws that held in the original handle, this one has many. And it feels really secure.

IMG_6929.jpegIMG_6934.jpegIMG_6936.jpeg

With my slide configuration its a little tight. After carefully looking at it and operating the side I am going to notch it a little with a dremel and touch up paint just so there is some pressure relief.
IMG_6933.jpeg

I love how it feels and extends all the way down the steps though.

IMG_6937.jpegIMG_6938.jpeg

They make a rail the bolts onto the steps, a friend has it on a similar model as our RV (has a wet bar instead of a 1/2 bath.) I didn't like it that much. When I saw this near rail I was interested, but after going to the RV show in September and many have them standard now. I like that it is designed to cover up the existing holes.

Took the day off and replaced the batteries in the golf cart. The ones I swapped out were 5 1/2 years old and owed me nothing. These new batteries were expensive! So the old man moved 8 12v lead batteries. This will be the last time. Either I won't be around or I'll have someone else do it. The old ones have been going bad for about a year now, Everybody kept telling me to "just replace them!" I showed my wife the price this morning and she was like, OMG! :eek: Told ya......
Next is getting the coach to the body shop for some repairs, then to the CAT dealer for some service.
Finally, setting up the new truck to tow. There's a bunch more to do than with the Tahoe.
I am so ready to retire!

Ed , I will be putting up an outside loop of G scale x mass this year. I hope anyway, plans are underway. I have the equipment, money and time, maybe not the smarts.......we will see.

I had to rummage around to find the track. Just enough for a loop. Plans are to make a slightly elevated loop for the front yard. Track will get a bath in the dishwasher to get the cat hair off it. Lol. Then I will need to start looking for a train to run on it. Somewhere buried in the basement or attic.
20231108_091618.jpg20231108_091602.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter