The final countdown is over - we're here!

Forecast not looking good for the next few days.

Think we'll go to SeaWorld this morning and see how it goes.

Tried the homemade sangria at Manny's last night. Only $5.40 for 2 glasses during happy hour.

We had a light breakfast in the townhouse again and then went to SeaWorld. The skies were very overcast and the forecast was not great. However, it didn't actually rain until mid afternoon.

We watched the Clyde and Seamore Pirate show again (after having seen it the other day) and the whole cast was different - including the mime artist at the beginning. We preferred the one we saw today.

I spotted a couple of groups of Amish people there today - and have seen others there in the past. Their way of life fasciinates me, particularly the way they interract with the rest of society. I noticed that, while they didn't wear watches or jewellery of any kind and the women wore very simple home-made dresses, that one of them had a mobile phone.

We left the park at around 4:30 pm and decided to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse on the west 192. We both had sirloin steaks and baked potatoes and salad. They were very good - but we still think it's not quite as good as Manny's (although very close! and you don't have the drive down the 27 to get to it!)

I'll post some photos into another post, so I don't lose what I've typed so far.

Tomorrow we have plans to rent a small catamaran and do a self-guided tour around Lake Dora, but the weather forecast is bad again. We'll call the company in the morning before we set out to see what they advise.

We have a few outdoors activities planned for the weekend too, so are really hoping the weather sorts itself out soon

Some more photos....

Celebration

Sangria

The free dessert we got last night at Manny's!

Hence why this was breakfast this morning!

I just can't help but love dolphins....

Our favourite pirate mime artist!

Also, I forgot to mention on my earlier post, while we were in SeaWorld today we were fortunate enough to be in Wild Arctic when the Beluga whales were being fed. They were so playful and were interacting really well with their trainer. We hadn't realised how intelligent they were. It was really interesting to see.

The mimic at Seaworld is really funny. It is worth getting there early just to see him.

Hope the weather improves and you are able to do the catamaran today :)

Catamaran trip cancelled due to the bad weather, sadly.

Been to Showcase of Citrus and did the truck tour, which was good fun despite the rain.

At Cagan crossing library printing some emails but then think we'll maybe do the backstage tour at the Hard Rock this afternoon.

Noticed that there are foodtrucks tonight at Cagan Crossing so we may come back and have a look.

We had a light breakfast in the townhouse again and then went to SeaWorld. The skies were very overcast and the forecast was not great. However, it didn't actually rain until mid afternoon.

We watched the Clyde and Seamore Pirate show again (after having seen it the other day) and the whole cast was different - including the mime artist at the beginning. We preferred the one we saw today.

I spotted a couple of groups of Amish people there today - and have seen others there in the past. Their way of life fasciinates me, particularly the way they interract with the rest of society. I noticed that, while they didn't wear watches or jewellery of any kind and the women wore very simple home-made dresses, that one of them had a mobile phone.

We left the park at around 4:30 pm and decided to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse on the west 192. We both had sirloin steaks and baked potatoes and salad. They were very good - but we still think it's not quite as good as Manny's (although very close! and you don't have the drive down the 27 to get to it!)

I'll post some photos into another post, so I don't lose what I've typed so far.

Tomorrow we have plans to rent a small catamaran and do a self-guided tour around Lake Dora, but the weather forecast is bad again. We'll call the company in the morning before we set out to see what they advise.

We have a few outdoors activities planned for the weekend too, so are really hoping the weather sorts itself out soon

Food trucks sound interesting.

Sorry the trip report is not very exciting at the moment. The rain is putting a bit of a dampener on our plans!

The rain has been non-stop for hours - practically all day now.

However, earlier today, the Showcase of Citrus was far better than either of us expected. We went on a 'monster truck' round part of the citrus farm. Our driver/tour guide (Martin) had been in the military and enjoys hunting. He was delighted we were english and was very interested in the wellbeing of our Queen. He told us he had been assigned to protect her on a royal visit to Viginia a while back. He also told us stories of pulling an 8 foot gator out of a pond last week, catching wild boar weighing hundreds of pounds and his hand starring in a Tropicana OJ advert - not 100% sure if they were all true! He was highly entertaining though and allowed a couple of members of the tour group to drive the truck for part of the way - including DH!

Back at the Showcase of Citrus shop we tried some home-made gator nuggets and sampled some of the various honeys they make at the farm. We also purchased some of their fresh orange juice, which I am drinking as I type this. It's really good and far better than Tropicana!

If anyone is staying in this area and needs to access a computer and/or print emails etc, the library at Cagan Crossing allows visitors to pay a small fee to access their PCs and printer. They also have free wifi.

We decided against going up to Universal for the Hard Rock backstage tour as the weather was still looking unsettled at lunchtime. We shared a nice panini at Panera Bread on the West 192 and really enjoyed it. Our first time in one of their outlets and will definitely be back.

We opted to go to the Disney monorail resorts with the idea of walking between them if the weather held out. We got the monorail from the Contemporary to the Poly and then walked around it for a bit and then to the Grand Floridian. While having a wander inside there the heavens opened again and it's been the same ever since. We got the monorail back to the car.

We abandoned the plan to go to Cagan Crossing for the foodtrucks as the rain was so heavy. Joe's Crab Shack seemed a good idea (again at the west 192) until we got inside it. Despite the carpark being quite busy, there was no-one inside. The mexican place next door seemed to have all the customers. We decided not to stay to eat.

Instead we went back to Sweet Tomatoes and enjoyed it.

Back at the townhouse, and I can hear the rain lashing down on the patio outside. Will see how it is in the morning and then decide what to do tomorrow.

I should also add - for those with a strong sense of smell - the farm at Showcase of Citrus also makes fertiliser. Martin told us (and I assume he was telling us the truth!) that they get all the 'output' from the animals at Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Animal Kingdom etc and they 'process' it into fertiliser.

It does smell - and not too pleasant.

Some photos from today

The shop at Showcase of Citrus

The truck

I keep seeing the Groupon deal for the Monster truck but can't get Karen interested at all, maube I will just book it:goodvibes

Weather not sounding good, I remember going in May a few years back, although it was later in May, saw lots of rain, apart from a late Jult trip we once did it was the wetest holiday we have had.

Thanks for another interesting update:thumbsup2

What a shame the weather is hampering your fun though. I hope it clears up quickly for you and you can get on with things.

I should also add - for those with a strong sense of smell - the farm at Showcase of Citrus also makes fertiliser. Martin told us (and I assume he was telling us the truth!) that they get all the 'output' from the animals at Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Animal Kingdom etc and they 'process' it into fertiliser.

It does smell - and not too pleasant.

Now, I was considering popping along to check out the citrus but this kind of puts me off! Not sure if I could enjoy the fruit with the bad smell around and I know DS definitely wouldn't :eek:

Thanks for another interesting update:thumbsup2

What a shame the weather is hampering your fun though. I hope it clears up quickly for you and you can get on with things.

Now, I was considering popping along to check out the citrus but this kind of puts me off! Not sure if I could enjoy the fruit with the bad smell around and I know DS definitely wouldn't :eek:

The smell is not constant and is strongest well away from the fruit. There was a family on the truck with us and they were all ok with it. It’s not horrendous but I thought I ought to mention it. :goodvibes

We have woken up to sunshine and blue sky today so hopefully the weather is improving.

We're going to head out to the west coast shortly.

We did the showcase of citrus tour one October and were told the same fact about the animal dung - didn't notice any bad smell though.

We had a fun morning and would definitely do again.

I keep seeing the Groupon deal for the Monster truck but can't get Karen interested at all, maube I will just book it:goodvibes

Weather not sounding good, I remember going in May a few years back, although it was later in May, saw lots of rain, apart from a late Jult trip we once did it was the wetest holiday we have had.

We used the Groupon deal and thought it good value.

This is pretty much the time of year we always go - sometimes a little earlier - and have never had so much rain as this year.

We did the showcase of citrus tour one October and were told the same fact about the animal dung - didn't notice any bad smell though.

We had a fun morning and would definitely do again.

It's possible that the rain made it smell stronger yesterday, but we'd also do it again.

Although the sun was shining when we first got up this morning, the forecast was for more heavy rain again in central Florida. The weather looked a little more promising towards the west, so we headed off for Tarpon Springs.

Tarpon Springs has based itself on the sponge diving industry and is also a large Greek community. It's an interesting place to spend a few hours. There are plenty of shops (many selling some strange 'fashions') and greek restaurants. There are also boat trips operating. We spotted a few dolphins as we walked along past the various boats on the riverside.

It reminded us very much of past holidays to greek islands, particularly with the restaurants and boat operators touting for business as you pass. We shared a 'gyro' (kebab) sitting in the sunshine.

The skies had got clearer and bluer as we drove west and we had a lovely sunny, hot day.

After leaving Tarpon Springs, we drove across to Honeymoon Island and spent a few hours there. We'd never been there before but it was delightful. The sea was a gorgeous turquoise blue. The sand was white and full of shells. The beach was far from crowded and it was an ideal place to chill out for a while in the sun. We will definitely return - and get the ferry across to Caladesi next time too.

It took a long time to get back to the 192 as the traffic was very heavy. We opted to eat at Logan's Roadhouse. We'd never eaten there before and found it very similar to the Texas Roadhouse with the peanuts etc. The steaks were very good but the service was poor. We don't remember having to wait as long for a meal in Florida. The price was reasonable though.

We called into Publix for a few supplies and it was pouring down again as we left and continued for a while.

Just seen the news tonight and they said that nine inches of rain fell at Cocoa Beach today!

Tomorrow we are planning to go to 'Smokin Blues Bikes and BBQs', if the weather is ok. On Sunday we have tickets for the Festival of Speed at the Mission Inn in Howey in the Hills. There's also a jazz festival on at Lakeridge Winery this weekend. Hoping the weather holds out for these events.

Some photos from our day in Tarpon Springs and Honeymoon Island

(the one with the sign is supposed to say 'Rattlesnakes common on the island'! was in such a rush to get the photo taken that I messed it up!)

And my very favourite picture of the day!

This will have to be my 'desktop' picture when I go back to work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter