• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

Blasted! Gone from bad to worse.

Back at outlet mall again. There went the funds for new canopy.

Somebody help. Anyone work in the Treasury Department?

Bert heard the storm and got up to check on the leak. He put the bucket there but when I woke this morning no water in the bucket. It is a special kind of leak. Today was a lot of cloud cover, it was good for the run got a pleasant 5 miles in again. Unfortunately had to do some work this morning.

After lunch went to Walmart. Then a bike ride and a walk on the beach. Back now doing some laundry and sitting out with dogs and an adult beverage. BamaEd and Patrick stopped by.

IMG_2563.JPG

Will be cooking chicken on the grill for dinner tonight.

We are booked for next year. Same site 93. We like the shade tree. Looking forward to brisket and all the other good food.

Ok, first post on this thread. With all the great food this week, here's why Kris and I always bring vegetables. I present a typical Garnes dinner:
RenderedContent-EB9AC29E-0B89-4F05-A8CA-71934AD1A88D.JPG
Yep, that's grilled chicken, corn, and Brussels sprouts. Oh yea, can't forget the wine :).
Somehow I think this will prevent all of you from letting me cook. I will say the dining plan at GSP beats anything Disney puts out (thanks Nick, Tiggerdad, et al).

Quiet night around the campground. Ed, Michael, Randy and Nick are out. We grabbed some pizza at one of our favorites in Orange Beach. Bert. Except for the brussle sprouts, dinner looks great.

I feel Michael's pain. We also made an outlet mall run this morning, but we followed it up with lunch at LuLu's. Like Kris said, overcast all day. We did check out the pool. We never made it there last year. Water was nice. Didn't get to the beach today. From the look she of the parking lot, we have had I think to ourselves.

Not sure what our plans are tomorrow. The Blue Angels practice has been cancelled and it is supposed to be overcast again. Probably will hit the beach. I can't go 2 days in a row without seeing the ocean.

j

Finally, after three years of trying I convinced DW to let me go to the Coleman outlet. I used the excuse of looking for her a new 10x10 with netting so she doesn't have to spend the rest of the vacation in the camper.
IMAG1193.jpg
I saw a few chairs I liked but I'm currently over run with camping chairs so I resisted. The pricing on their Coleman canopies was more expensive than on Amazon so I passed up the canopy there. Instead we went across the road from the outlet to Academy and found a 12x12 with netting on sale at $115, regular $165 so I picked it up. I'll put it up tomorrow and give a review.

This evening Randy, Nic, myself and all our bunch went to the Wharf to see new Pirates of Carribean.
IMAG1203.jpg
There are now what, 5 PoC movies? I'll rank it at #4 at best. They just tried too hard to make too many different stories in one movie.

Highlight of the evening was the ferris wheel.
IMAG1202.jpg

All went well until the folks behind us started standing up in their gondola and taking pictures. Randy, the sign clearly stated to remain seated.

We got back to the camper around 10 and had a hankering for a dessert. Then I remembered Flametamr left his stash of ice cream in my freezer. Joe, you are the man!

Bert, plates look good. A little more brown gravy and even those funny looking green things can be on my menu anytime.

Bike riding this morning. New trail since last year leads off camp road 2 to the bigger lake.
IMAG1206.jpg
IMAG1205.jpg

A view of the cabins here
IMAG1204.jpg

Didn't appear to be much going on in puzzleville this morning so I headed on over to the laundry.

No chics here, so I figured I'd wash our towels. Three adults, two children, and plenty of rain have used them up. Figure I'll let my wife sleep in and I'll handle it. Not a bad deal. The laundry has a covered pavilion with tables.
IMAG1209.jpg
That's the laundry on left and camp store on right.

IMAG1210.jpg

Here's boat dock with laundry and camp store on right
IMAG1211.jpg
IMAG1212.jpg
Washing towels...

Still better than work.

Last edited:
Michael congrats on finally getting to COLEMAN outlet and best of luck with new Screen house.
Question for anyone who may know the answer Does GSP have a dog park? Our 2 are younger and need place to go from time to time run run around and engage in Savaging behavior with each other to get rid of excess energy.
Making ressie this afternoon and seeing space near Burt and Kris is open so will have them as neighbor

Last edited:
tiggerdad, us puzzlers slept in a little bit today.

But I did get the table set up and Randy pedaled over and after a little bit of a slow start and some fellow campers walking by and getting sucked in, we got it done:

Note 1 piece is missing. :confused3 So it's only a 999 piece Thomas Kinkade Disney puzzle. But I have back-ups I can break out tomorrow.

It's cloudy and overcast but cooler and as lunchtime approaches the drizzle is starting. However, before it did, I got pictures of site #3 for friendofeeyore and grumpieaggie after my tent camping neighbors packed up.

Front on:

Driver's side:

Space along the back for overhang:

Back corner looking towards the lake. The breeze off the water should blow through my site and into #3.

Passenger's side with comfort station just across the street:

Front of site looking toward the lake:

Gonna get some laundry done this afternoon. DW is on the road headed here and I gotta get this little trailer cleaned up for her.

Bama Ed

Welcome FTW Mike, glad to have you as neighbors. The dog park is by Lake Shelby, it's about 1 or 1.5 miles by trail from the campground. You may have to drive but they have plenty of parking there.

We went to the USS Alabama this morning. Got there about 9:30. Was not crowded at all. In fact as we were leaving it looked like a large group of summer camp kids were coming in. We enjoyed it but we both liked the sub better.

IMG_2564.JPG

Next we went to Blue Gill's for lunch. Thanks for the suggestion Ed and Patrick. We started with oysters and each had a po boy. I had shrimp and bert had crawfish. It was good. Forgot to get a pic of the sandwiches.

IMG_2570.JPG

Next we tried to beat the rain home, but no luck. Thankfully all was well in the rig, except yeti. He was splayed out on the kitchen floor. I hope he can walk later but first need the rain to stop. Plus I hope the site dries out some. It rained a lot. We did get yeti on the carpet but he does not like being there.

IMG_2571.JPG

Our plan is to go out for dinner tonight. Might be needed everything is pretty wet. May take a trip to the outlet mall. Waiting for the next squall to come through first.

We went for lunch at The Original Oyster House.
IMAG1221.jpg
Got there just in front of the rain. No line, no wait. Got a nice window seat.
IMAG1214.jpg
Then the bottom fell out
IMAG1217.jpg

I had the salad bar
IMAG1215.jpg
And my personal favorite, Shrimp Au Gratin
IMAG1216.jpg

When we got done it was still raining so we milled around in the gift shop. Found some kitchen towels.
IMAG1220.jpg
IMAG1218.jpg
IMAG1219.jpg

Still raining pretty hard so we went across the parking lot for ice cream
IMAG1222.jpg

If it stops raining we'll walk the beach after dark. I brought my light and net so I am expected to catch (and to the amusement of all) be pinched by crabs.

Just made our reservation for next year site 95 Wed 23 May X Wed 30 May. Looking forward to meeting all Ed if my Venison Chili passes muster in Jan I will whip up a batch for Part 3 and may even do up some Greater North American Tree Rat Stew

IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0184.JPG Rain, rain go away. It started about noon and is still going at 4:30. Good thing we hit the beach earlier this morning.

Above is Ian walking out to try some underwater shots with his GoPro and the very quiet beach on a cloudy day.

We decided to drive up to Fairhope this afternoon. Lots of little fancy shops in the downtown area. It was raining so hard we decided not to get out and walk from shop to shop. Drove by the Grand Hotel. Gorgeous area. Drove back along the bay dreaming of owning one of the houses with the long winding drive to the cottage on the water.

Stopped by the Wharf to do some mall shopping. Lots of over priced things. It's too bad the area doesn't have enough 1%ers to support this area. It really is nice, just too pricey for most people.

Sitting under the awning watching it rain now. Radar looks like it might stop in a few hours.

j

Jim kind of hard to get 1% to invest in an area when a huge portion of The REDNECK RIVIERA (Mobile to Destin) is owned by the US Govt and is military bases

My DW Lisa finally got in after driving thru the rain for a while. She had not stopped for lunch so we went to dinner at 6pm. She said she preferred somewhere close so i decided to try tiggerdad's arrival day regular, Gulf Island Grill, based on his recommendation.

Being frequent visitors, we have our favorite places to eat so it was a little unusual to try someplace new. I had the Gulf Island Ya Ya and it was delicious and filling (sorry no pix).

Like Jim and Michael said, it rained all afternoon and stopped right around the time we got to the restaurant.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter