The Intersection of FIRE and Disney

The only thing I want to add on HSA's is, you get a card, like a credit card. You can use it for any medical expense, like co-pays. Most important, don't overlook the big ones--we used our account for eyeglasses/contacts. With 6 people needing corrective lenses, it was a huge help. You could probably also use it for dental work/orthodontia, but please double-check your own plan on that.
A couple of things:

1) “Plans” don’t govern what are eligible medical expenses. The IRS does actually so nobody would have plan specific restrictions. I would recommend all to review the list as there are some surprising things that are (and aren’t) in there.

2) You don’t have to use the card - I never do. I put my (albeit rare) medical expenses on a credit card and earn points and then just request a reimbursement from the HSA. I’ve also used VGCs that I got 5% or 6% back on from a CC to pay medical expenses - which is pretty neat if you think about it.

A couple of things:

1) “Plans” don’t govern what are eligible medical expenses. The IRS does actually so nobody would have plan specific restrictions. I would recommend all to review the list as there are some surprising things that are (and aren’t) in there.

2) You don’t have to use the card - I never do. I put my (albeit rare) medical expenses on a credit card and earn points and then just request a reimbursement from the HSA. I’ve also used VGCs that I got 5% or 6% back on from a CC to pay medical expenses - which is pretty neat if you think about it.

This is on my list for DH to ask HR. We have cards for our Flex Spend and I'm hoping that I can put my DD braces on a credit card for the points and then just get reimbursed. If we are going to be paying $$$ for braces might as well get some points:)

A couple of things:

Dh was just yesterday going through and figuring out how much to get reimbursed for for our HSA account. We used our cards a lot to get points instead of his HSA card. I think it sat on his desk for most of the year unused.

So for those of you in the Chasing FIRE camp...What is your job and do you dislike it? OR are you chasing FIRE for other reasons?

For me it was a major job loss event. I didn't dislike my job before, I definitely don't dislike my job now. However, when I lost my job in 2015, I realized a few things - (1) that I didn't want my career or title to define me, (2) I was unknowingly already on the FIRE path (likely able to retire by 50) and (3) that if I put a little more effort into our savings rate, I could accelerate that timeline by 5-7 years.

My current job is in commercial banking. I really enjoy it but I don't take it too seriously AND I don't let it define who I am. I am decidedly still on the 'FI' path and we'll wait and see if the 'RE' makes sense when I get there. :) I do feel bad when reading on r/financialindependence about people who hate everything about their job - I can imagine that would be very difficult (but also throw fuel on the fire to chasing FIRE, lol)

So for those of you in the Chasing FIRE camp...What is your job and do you dislike it? OR are you chasing FIRE for other reasons?

For me it was a major job loss event. I didn't dislike my job before, I definitely don't dislike my job now. However, when I lost my job in 2015, I realized a few things - (1) that I didn't want my career or title to define me, (2) I was unknowingly already on the FIRE path (likely able to retire by 50) and (3) that if I put a little more effort into our savings rate, I could accelerate that timeline by 5-7 years.

My current job is in commercial banking. I really enjoy it but I don't take it too seriously AND I don't let it define who I am. I am decidedly still on the 'FI' path and we'll wait and see if the 'RE' makes sense when I get there. :) I do feel bad when reading on r/financialindependence about people who hate everything about their job - I can imagine that would be very difficult (but also throw fuel on the fire to chasing FIRE, lol)

We are chasing the FI portion :-) Dh still loves his job (he's a CFP) yet recognizes that as things change in the industry, he may change his mind about RE. I'm currently not working as I finished up homeschooling when youngest left for college this year. I like to say I'm on sabbatical this year :D I tutor on-and-off and may move to a more steady schedule.

We are 52 and 50.

My DH (53) and I (48) are both physicians. However, I haven't worked in six years, and while I miss the six figure salary (and offers come in regularly which are very lucrative) and sometimes I feel that I'm wasting my talents, I hated my job and it was making me physically ill and mentally exhausted (also, was assaulted more than once and was threatened with death more than once). So no, I don't miss it and I'm happy that my DH, who could have retired early (age 47) instead chose to continue working so I could RI and we could have complete FI.

DH has always been frugal and interested in making his money work hard for him as he does for his money. His contract was not renewed in 2015 and we realized that financially we would have been...okay...but he enjoys his job (the best day is a day in surgery, for him) and while I do not consider my title to define me, he truly does derive pleasure from his job and it does contribute to his sense of self (translation: when he wasn't working for four months and was sitting on the couch doing nothing I was ready to throttle him).

We have a daughter who is a senior in high school so he extended his contract for another year while we figure out this part of our lives. I expect DH will work only part time beginning in 2020 or 2021. I realize we are very fortunate and I never take our life for granted-a whole lot of planning and saving and thinking ahead in our 20s put us in this quite enviable position.

Last edited:

I don't hate my job. Good boss, great benefits, fair pay. I want the financial independence part so I can retire earlier than 65. I want time freedom. I want to follow my heart every day, not my routines built around work. If i had my choice about what to do each day none of it would involve a cubicle, no matter what i did in it.

I’m currently a substitute teacher. I love my job because it’s so flexible and I like seeing different ages every day. There is one school I would like a full time position at otherwise I might just keep subbing until we have kids. Dh is a software engineer so makes good money and his work offers great benefits. They paid 100% of his masters. Right now he hates his coworkers but he should be getting on a new team early next year.

We do this too. We pretty much pay for prescriptions with either Target gift cards or Sam's gift cards. Then reimburse ourselves. Sadly my record keeping has dissolved into a stack of receipts - lol. If I get audited, it will be a pita.

We do this too. We pretty much pay for prescriptions with either Target gift cards or Sam's gift cards. Then reimburse ourselves. Sadly my record keeping has dissolved into a stack of receipts - lol. If I get audited, it will be a pita.
Gotta force yourself to scan and save as a PDF somehow, lol!

Yeah, I could see that happening with me too. I have stacks of VGCs and am like UGH.

I hate the career path I have chosen. Three years of law school was awful and I have no interest in doing this long term.

I account for credit card annual fees by placing them as a cost against a CC savings. I have a broad "other travel offset" category where I track small wins, gift card discounts, small cash back redemptions, etc. and it washes in there. I also have a 2MB spreadsheet with 20 sheets tracking all of our expenses for the past decade soooo I admit I'm a little crazy with how detailed I will track things like this LOL!

I was gonna ask you what software you use for your family accounting. I guess its all your own spreadsheets? I track spending by month/category, but its rather unsophisticated. For example, I entered my $75 Amazon purchase yesterday; however, I don't have a way to track that the Amazon gift card I used came from Best Buy using the Amex offer + Swagbucks cash back. I would like to incorporate this - just not sure how to do so easily.

So are you gonna switch your career? I can't imagine staying in something my whole life that I hate

Idk. I just finished school and I’m taking the bar in feb. (was supposed to in July but my visiting student status delayed it) i figured I’ll give it a shot for a bit and see where it takes me. I don’t want to go back to school and idk what else I could do.

So are you gonna switch your career? I can't imagine staying in something my whole life that I hate

Idk. I just finished school and I’m taking the bar in feb. (was supposed to in July but my visiting student status delayed it) i figured I’ll give it a shot for a bit and see where it takes me. I don’t want to go back to school and idk what else I could do.

@Haley R - you're on the FIRE thread silly...lol! Nobody is planning to stay in anything their whole life here :P HAHA!

Not to speak for @speedyfishy but a lucrative 8-10 year law career saving 60%+ of your income could mean you never need to really work again. Then you can find something you love to do (with money as an afterthought) for the next 35-40 years!

I hate the career path I have chosen. Three years of law school was awful and I have no interest in doing this long term.

I hope that at least the education in law is helpful to your future plans. I'm no longer doing what I trained for but the educational part is useful in regular life. I don't think it was worth the cost of school and loss of income for the four years of school (since I would've made more money if I'd stayed in working in biotech), but I did learn useful information.

Do you have any words to share about what you hate about your career path? I think DD may lean towards that path herself (lol as much as I can say that about a teenager) and I'd like to know what pitfalls to be aware of.

Not to speak for @speedyfishy but a lucrative 8-10 year law career saving 60%+ of your income could mean you never need to really work again. Then you can find something you love to do (with money as an afterthought) for the next 35-40 years!

I’m thinking this maybe my best option. lol especially because SO covers all our living expenses and saves on his own hopefully we can FIRE really quick lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter