The Intersection of FIRE and Disney

Yes dear. You can have all the hatchimals you can buy with your $10 a week allowance.

She bought her classmates fun christmas treats from ac moore with her saved allowance but not one hatchimal for herself. And she still has $60 saved up in that wallet...

Love this! Haven't read the whole thread yet but I am a MMM forum poster with...let's call it over a thousand posts. I don't care much for the blog anymore but the forum has a ton of the most level-headed holistic thinkers around. I try to absorb as much as I can on a variety of topics.

My wife and I are late 20s early 30s and probably won't retire until mid 50s (still early compared to most!).

However, we're far from frugal. Obviously I'm posting here, so we spend a ton on travel which usually means Disney. Just this year we went to WDW (Feb), DL (Sept), and WDW+Disney Cruise (Dec).

My very intricate personal finance spreadsheet indicates that we'll reach a 4% withdrawal rate in our mid-50s. However, I try to be very conservative in my planning, so hopefully it means we'll be FI well before that time I assume:

No social security (it's highly unlikely we get $0 from this)
A 4% real rate of return (historical is 7%)
$1k/month out of pocket health expenses (we currently spend very little due to good insurance)
A 25% effective tax rate on retirement account withdrawals (this is currently much lower)
No pay raises, ever (hopefully this is not the case!)
No increases to savings rate (I try to do better year after year)

So with all that and a few other things, I think we've struck a good balance for the time being. I'd love to travel less which would really increase our savings but it's something my wife likes to do.

So uhhhh how about that stock market?? I was doing my weekly financial update in my spreadsheet and it seems there was another rough one.

My approach is that I don't watch shows about the market, I don't follow the market regularly, I don't attempt to time the market, I buy when it's up, I buy when it's down, I buy when it's flat (basically because I buy when my 401k gets deducted, lol). My strategy (as is that of many FIRE chasers) is index funds, set it and forget it...

What's happened in the last quarter is interesting to me though because for many in the younger FIRE crowd this is the first time you may have lost substantial money. My net worth has declined by $60,000 in the past 3 months. It's never done that before...largely because I never had a net worth large enough to lose that much during past declines. I have thought about this before...how would I react when I "lose" a substantial sum of money. Now that it's happened, I'm glad to report that I feel no different. I don't feel like I'm worth less, I have no desire to change course or adjust strategy, I don't feel like I need to save more, I don't feel the desire to sell. This is super encouraging to me - On the path to FIRE there is no way it will all be "ups". There will be downs, and all the articles I've read suggest that you can't panic during those down times. The strategy is proven, stay the course, keep buying and wait it out.

Curious to hear thoughts & reactions of others (especially in that 25-40 crowd who are midway through their FIRE journey). :)

So, I'm wanting to jump into this thread. We are nowhere near FI or RE. We married young and started having babies young. We both have a college degree but felt strongly about me staying home once our dc were born so I've been a SAHM for 18+ years. For the record, I do not regret that decision but I know we are further behind because of that decision. Again, it's not something I'd change even with 20/20 hindsight.

We were not raised with very good financial training so got into debt quickly.
About 10 years ago, we did Dave Ramsey and got 100% out of debt except for the mortgage. For the most part, we were doing well...saving about $1000 month but not contributing to a 401k or anything to do with stocks...but saving. Then our dd18 got sick. It took about a year to get her diagnosed and now she has been in treatment for 2.5 years. Her diagnosis and treatment is NOT covered by the $900 a month premium we pay in health insurance, and so we have spent at least $1500 mo (but $2000 many months) for the last 2.5 years. We blew through our savings...we simply did not have that much extra in our budget to cover the costs. Our church helped us as well as some family members but an extra 2k per month for 18 mos is hard to manage. We are now back to barely any savings. We've never contributed regularly to any retirement account so we have nothing really there. I'm not sure what to do to move towards anything FI and/or RE.

My dh just sunk 6k into the stock market about 4 weeks ago after hearing family just going on and on about how much they were making. No more than a day or two after he put money in, it started to fall. This is seriously not the first time. Every stinking time we put money in the market, it begins falling. I told him before that as soon as he put money in, it would begin declining. And it did...

I'm not sure what we need to do. I'm curious how those of you who are on this path handle the tough stuff life throws at you. How do you get back on track?? I read one of the top reasons people go bankrupt is medical expenses. We did not go bankrupt but I can see how devastating medical costs are. You can deplete a nice, healthy bank account very quickly :(

I'm not sure what to do to move towards anything FI and/or RE.

My dh just sunk 6k into the stock market about 4 weeks ago after hearing family just going on and on about how much they were making. No more than a day or two after he put money in, it started to fall. This is seriously not the first time. Every stinking time we put money in the market, it begins falling. I told him before that as soon as he put money in, it would begin declining. And it did...

I'm not sure what we need to do. I'm curious how those of you who are on this path handle the tough stuff life throws at you. How do you get back on track?? I read one of the top reasons people go bankrupt is medical expenses. We did not go bankrupt but I can see how devastating medical costs are. You can deplete a nice, healthy bank account very quickly :(
A few thoughts:
  • Don’t worry that the market went down. I’m not sure what you invested in, but if it was some sort of broad mutual fund it will go back up eventually. (Maybe in a week, maybe in a month, maybe in a year or more). Just be patient - if you want to share what the investment was I’m sure there’s some of us here who could opine further on that :)
  • Saving anything at this point moved you towards FIRE. Celebrate any small savings you can make.
  • I do not have a lot of experience with adversity on my FIRE journey. I consider us very fortunate in that regard but my best advice is to just keep doing your best. That’s all you can do :)

A few thoughts:
  • Don’t worry that the market went down. I’m not sure what you invested in, but if it was some sort of broad mutual fund it will go back up eventually. (Maybe in a week, maybe in a month, maybe in a year or more). Just be patient - if you want to share what the investment was I’m sure there’s some of us here who could opine further on that :)
  • Saving anything at this point moved you towards FIRE. Celebrate any small savings you can make.
  • I do not have a lot of experience with adversity on my FIRE journey. I consider us very fortunate in that regard but my best advice is to just keep doing your best. That’s all you can do :)
I'll try to find out. It was against my better judgement as we are still thick in medical costs and I would have preferred he not put so much in but I try to just let him lead.

I'll try to find out. It was against my better judgement as we are still thick in medical costs and I would have preferred he not put so much in but I try to just let him lead.

I agree with SouthFayetteFan. If it's in a mutual fund it generally will go back up when the market recovers. I'm sorry about your medical expenses (and your DD's illness). We have been hit hard by the market a couple of times (dot com bust was the worst for us), and also have pretty high medical bills on top of expensive insurance. It's very hard to save a lot when the medical bills are so high since it's not really discretionary spending and it's not easy to cut. Our "employee contribution" on DH's company health insurance will top 16K in 2019 and that's not including copays, meds, etc. Going to a cheaper plan with chronic health issues can be a scary thing to do.

I agree with SouthFayetteFan. If it's in a mutual fund it generally will go back up when the market recovers. I'm sorry about your medical expenses (and your DD's illness). We have been hit hard by the market a couple of times (dot com bust was the worst for us), and also have pretty high medical bills on top of expensive insurance. It's very hard to save a lot when the medical bills are so high since it's not really discretionary spending and it's not easy to cut. Our "employee contribution" on DH's company health insurance will top 16K in 2019 and that's not including copays, meds, etc. Going to a cheaper plan with chronic health issues can be a scary thing to do.

My dd18 has chronic Lyme and epstein barr, both of which are highly controversial diagnoses, but we know when she was bit and the treatment for these 'disputed' diseases are very much helping her. It was a year on all pharmaceuticals (3 antibiotics, 1 antifungal, 1 antiviral, 1 pain killer) so it was cheaper for us to up our insurance plan. Now, she is off all those and we are rebuilding her immune system with herbals. The cost is less so we are dropping to a lower priced plan. However the cost is still pretty high. $1000 month is our norm right now.

And we are going back to a HDHP

My dd18 has chronic Lyme and epstein barr, both of which are highly controversial diagnoses, but we know when she was bit and the treatment for these 'disputed' diseases are very much helping her. It was a year on all pharmaceuticals (3 antibiotics, 1 antifungal, 1 antiviral, 1 pain killer) so it was cheaper for us to up our insurance plan. Now, she is off all those and we are rebuilding her immune system with herbals. The cost is less so we are dropping to a lower priced plan. However the cost is still pretty high. $1000 month is our norm right now.

And we are going back to a HDHP

I'm glad it's under control. I have 2 family members (not immediate family) who had Lyme and it's not as common in CA and they went undiagnosed for a long time. One is better but for her son it's become a chronic issue, which is tough for a young man just starting out. It's great that you can go to a lower cost insurance, too. Medical expenses (current and the unknown future of it all) are what I see as the real wild card in terms of savings and retirement. And 1K per month is still high - insurance costs are out of control these days. :(

So uhhhh how about that stock market?? I was doing my weekly financial update in my spreadsheet and it seems there was another rough one.

My approach is that I don't watch shows about the market, I don't follow the market regularly, I don't attempt to time the market, I buy when it's up, I buy when it's down, I buy when it's flat (basically because I buy when my 401k gets deducted, lol). My strategy (as is that of many FIRE chasers) is index funds, set it and forget it...

What's happened in the last quarter is interesting to me though because for many in the younger FIRE crowd this is the first time you may have lost substantial money. My net worth has declined by $60,000 in the past 3 months. It's never done that before...largely because I never had a net worth large enough to lose that much during past declines. I have thought about this before...how would I react when I "lose" a substantial sum of money. Now that it's happened, I'm glad to report that I feel no different. I don't feel like I'm worth less, I have no desire to change course or adjust strategy, I don't feel like I need to save more, I don't feel the desire to sell. This is super encouraging to me - On the path to FIRE there is no way it will all be "ups". There will be downs, and all the articles I've read suggest that you can't panic during those down times. The strategy is proven, stay the course, keep buying and wait it out.

Curious to hear thoughts & reactions of others (especially in that 25-40 crowd who are midway through their FIRE journey). :)

we started putting money in the market about a year ago and we are now at a net loss. I’m trying not to think about it and I’m just staying the course. I’m in index funds. Plus I try and remember that if I wasn’t putting that money in a 401k it would be taxed and the tax rate would be higher than what I’ve lost. Lol The market downturn does make me want to have a bigger emergency fund tho so we are going to focus on building that up. We are at about 4.5 months expenses but I’d really like a years worth lol.

We try not to watch the stock market--it's not good for our blood pressures! We've successfully ridden many waves through the years. I find it best not to focus on losses--an awful lot of people panic and pull out of the market, then they miss the rebound. One thing that's interesting this time around is, DH got an inheritance, so the numbers are bigger. Most of our savings are in IRAs (mine, his, and inherited), that you can't do much about. Sure, you can change the mutual fund allocation, but that's not changing the underlying fundamentals. Interestingly, my MIL was an active investor until the day she died. so DH also inherited a portfolio of stocks. So, this is something new to us, that we need to manage. We plan to keep most of her choices (sorry, GE!) and re-evaluate every 6 months.

We've had a number of setbacks along the way, mostly in the form of DH losing his job. I've been a SAHM for 23 years now--every time I glance in the direction of a part-time job, DH's job has some kind of major emergency that requires insane working hours. Even though my youngest is now 12, the kids still need someone to schlep them around.

Everyone has a different strength of stomach when it comes to the market, and everyone reacts differently. However, if you want to hold on, just realize it's stock shares you own, not a financial amount. As long as you own those shares, you haven't "lost" anything until you sell (and even then you can usually write off some of your loss on your taxes). There are definitely times to get out of individual stocks, but index funds are a bit different, as if you sell you are betting against the US economy and US businesses as a whole... so far, over a long span of years the bet should be 'for' the US economy. In short, as long as what a bank will pay you for your money is low, then there's nowhere else really to go. You have to make sure you are balanced out in your investments, however, the older you are the fewer stocks to own, but up until your 40's or 50's stocks are usually seen as the cornerstone of a portfolio. Cash (and an emergency fund which is separate than the rest of your cash), and bonds being another aspect. Some go with real estate investment and buy properties/houses to rent or flip. If you like precious metals those are usually seen as insurance and not investments to many people.

The actual "FIRE" philosophy is to see a drop in the market as stocks being on sale. Ramsey's philosophy on the stock market is just to keep buying on your regular schedule as "you only get hurt if you jump off." I dunno, I have a more balanced view depending on income, and other investment opportunities, and age.

I'm in the invest and forget it camp. Of course I've been doing this for around 20 years (got started late!) so have seen my paper net worth drop significantly during that time, then rebound and more. I also did what everyone says not to do when I left one job and rolled my 403 (I had to since I left the company) into an annuity with guaranteed return and that has grown robustly which really adds to my peace of mind. I'm super risk adverse so I don't check my portfolio often (basically once a year for taxes) and then forget about it. Fortunately for me, DH really enjoys this more so he follows and adjusts his (larger) portfolio a little more closely while allowing me to be laissez faire. I think having a couple of decades perspective allows me to know that the market is going to go up, going to go down and so far, I'm still better off investing--because if I didn't I'd be spending it :sad1:

I'm glad it's under control. I have 2 family members (not immediate family) who had Lyme and it's not as common in CA and they went undiagnosed for a long time. One is better but for her son it's become a chronic issue, which is tough for a young man just starting out. It's great that you can go to a lower cost insurance, too. Medical expenses (current and the unknown future of it all) are what I see as the real wild card in terms of savings and retirement. And 1K per month is still high - insurance costs are out of control these days. :(
My dd got sick less than a month after turning 15yo so it was her high school years. Her sophomore and junior years were spent barely being able to get out of bed. She’s about 75% better now. It’s really uncommon to have Lyme here in CO as well but people travel and my dd was bit in TX where there is a lot of Lyme.

I feel bad for anyone with that awful disease but it seems to be hitting kids hard :( and yes the medical community is just oblivious.

I feel I watch the stock market prices too much and shouldn’t since I’m invested with mutual funds intended for long term holding. That said, the markets lately have made me feel tense regarding our funds and I understand the feeling some hear about being averse to investing or the fear of downturn in economy because I feel that way particularly the last few months. Part I think stems from an intent to purchase a home using down payment from our non taxable fund in the next few years. I began thinking maybe just rent. Then I began thinking do I want to even “invest” in a home purchase, perhaps this will affect home value. I’m reminding myself to think positive. I am however going ahead and switching some nontaxable savings, not all, considering 2-3 year CD ladders or a high interest savings because I want more liquidity savings than putting money in the fund I may have to pull out in a down market if I do make a downpayment. But for ROTH IRA though I’m rather gung-ho feeling about the market state rate now, like I don’t care, I’m maxing out ROTHs next year, maybe because that funding feels very long term to me. We aren’t in the age range you’re talking though, closer to 50s.

However, if you want to hold on, just realize it's stock shares you own, not a financial amount. As long as you own those shares, you haven't "lost" anything until you sell

As a boring long-term, dollar cost averaging, buy and hold investor I definitely don't freak out every time the market drops. I do my weekly Quicken update of all accounts on Fridays and was actually doing a happy dance yesterday. Why? Because our annual dividends were paid out 1-2 days after the market dropped. Do you know how many shares we got???? Like, lots! Can't take away my shares! :dogdance:

So, I'm wanting to jump into this thread. We are nowhere near FI or RE. We married young and started having babies young. We both have a college degree but felt strongly about me staying home once our dc were born so I've been a SAHM for 18+ years. For the record, I do not regret that decision but I know we are further behind because of that decision. Again, it's not something I'd change even with 20/20 hindsight.

We were not raised with very good financial training so got into debt quickly.
About 10 years ago, we did Dave Ramsey and got 100% out of debt except for the mortgage. For the most part, we were doing well...saving about $1000 month but not contributing to a 401k or anything to do with stocks...but saving. Then our dd18 got sick. It took about a year to get her diagnosed and now she has been in treatment for 2.5 years. Her diagnosis and treatment is NOT covered by the $900 a month premium we pay in health insurance, and so we have spent at least $1500 mo (but $2000 many months) for the last 2.5 years. We blew through our savings...we simply did not have that much extra in our budget to cover the costs. Our church helped us as well as some family members but an extra 2k per month for 18 mos is hard to manage. We are now back to barely any savings. We've never contributed regularly to any retirement account so we have nothing really there. I'm not sure what to do to move towards anything FI and/or RE.

I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's illness, but glad to hear that she is on the road to recovery. You are right, having paid those huge medical expenses for the past two years has impacted how much you have saved. So where do you go from here? First, look at the positives, you were able to incur those expenses without going into debt, you have been living within your means on one income. Since the costs for your daughter are starting to go down is there room in the budget, even a few hundred dollars to start saving? I think psychologically it is easier to invest small sums monthly, taking advantage of dollar cost averaging, especially during these times of market volatility. Maybe your FIRE path will be you going back to work for 10 years after the kids are grown, and since you have been living on one income you save your entire income. Or maybe you downsize your house and use that equity to give your nest egg a boost. If the stock market is going to worry you too much, maybe you save your money to buy some rental homes. I don't know your exact age, but guessing mid to late 40s maybe so you still have time, maybe your aggressive saving will be from 50-60 or even 55-65, but it can be done!

Joining this group for the motivation...

We decided to sell our house and downsize to something about half the price. (Looked at a few houses this morning.) DH has been working crazy overtime hours. And I’m still figuring out what I want to do “when I grow up”.

We are 37/38, but we are in a different life situation than many our age. Most of our friends have pre-schoolers but our oldest already lives on her own and we only have a few more years until the younger two are done with high school.

I have stayed home and/or worked flexible (but low paying) jobs since college/marriage/kids. We were debt free other than mortgage but bought a piece of property earlier this year and didn’t want to completely deplete our emergency fund so we did finance a portion of that. With the extra work and selling our current home we should be completely debt free in a very short period of time.

DH enjoys working and we both definitely need to keep busy, but we would like to travel and have more opportunities for volunteering. DH will likely never completely retire but would like to possibly do travel nursing or some type of consulting. That way he has the ability to work and earn some money, but can take several weeks or months off at a time.

:)

Welp DH and I lost a BMW this week. That's how I'm looking at my market losses. It sucks but you haven't REALLY lost until you sell... and I'm not selling and neither is DH. Stay the course and complain, loudly is my mantra. I dollar cost average through the year. This means we spread both our 401ks and IRAs through all 12 months. Things are going to be bonkers next week too... actually I think we're in for a ride for awhile and I was also predicting a recession in Q1 of 2020. Now I think we might get it a little earlier. This one shouldn't be too deep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter