The Natural State........ALABAMA

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
State Wild Flower

Oakleaf Hydrangea
Hydrangea quercifolia

Description A mound-shaped shrub, 3-12 ft. tall. Multiple stems are sparingly branched with picturesque canes. Older stems are exfoliating to reveal a rich, brown inner bark. The showy inflorescence of greenish flowers, turns white then purplish and persists on the bush until mid-winter. The foliage, shaped something like that of red oak, becomes colorful in fall.
Habitat Damp woods; river banks.
Range Florida Panhandle and Georgia to Louisiana.

hydrangea

State Reptile

The Alabama Red-Bellied Turtle
Pseudemys alabamensis, is native to Alabama. The Emydidae turtle family, of which the Alabama red-bellied turtle belongs, is the largest turtle family with over 80 species worldwide. Six genera and 13 species occur in Alabama. The red-belly inhabits the fresh to brackish waters of the Mobile Delta in Mobile and Baldwin Counties. The Alabama red-bellied turtle and related species are often seen basking on logs. It is found nowhere else in the world.
Description: Adult turtles are approximately 1 foot (30 cm) in length. Females are slightly larger with a carapace (upper shell) length reaching 13 inches (33 cm). Carapace color may be greenish to dark brown or black with yellowish, orangish, or reddish vertical markings along the sides. The plastron (under shell) may be pale yellow to red with or without dark markings. Colors and markings are usually more intense in young turtles. The head, neck, and legs are marked with yellowish striping. Males have elongated foreclaws. A unique distinguishing characteristic of the Alabama red-bellied turtle is the presence of tooth-like cusps on either side of the upper jaw.
Life History: Based on related species, male and female Alabama red-bellied turtles probably reach sexual maturity at 4 and 6 years of age, respectively. Nesting of the Alabama red-bellied turtle occurs from May through July. Female turtles leave their aquatic environment and venture onto dry land to lay their eggs. A shallow nest is excavated in generally sandy soil where 4 to 9 eggs are deposited. Hatchlings usually emerge during the summer. However, when the turtles nest in late July, hatchlings may overwinter in the nest and emerge the following spring. Lifespan of the Alabama red-bellied turtle is not known at this time. Many turtles have the potential for long lives and a life span of 50 years or more could be expected for the Alabama red-bellied turtle.
The Alabama red-bellied turtle was placed on the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Endangered Species List in 1987. The turtle is also protected under the Nongame Species Regulation by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Decline in numbers had been documented during the 1980's. Reasons for this decline include a decrease and disturbance of suitable nesting areas, illegal trapping for food and the pet trade, and entrapment and drowning in fishing nets and crab traps. Predation by alligators on adults and by crows on eggs also occurs. Raiding of nests for eggs by man may have contributed to the decline of the Alabama red-bellied turtle.

rbturtle

State Bird

Yellow Hammer

Family:
Picidae
Scientific name:
Colaptes auratus (Linnaeus)
Correct common name of the American Ornithologists Union:
Common Flicker.
Other names used locally: Yellowhammer, Flicker, Yellow-shafted Flicker, Southern Flicker.
Description:
The back of the male of the common flicker is a gray-brown color with broken black bars on the body feathers and with the yellow shafts of the flight feathers partly visible. The rump patch is white and the two-pointed tail is mainly black. The crown and back of the neck is gray with a red band at the nape. The cheeks are pinkish-buff with a black "moustache" and bib below the chin on the throat. The underparts are creamy with many, irregular black spots. The undersides of the wings and tail are bright yellow. The female differs from the male in that she does not have the "moustache". Both sexes have gray legs, a dark gray bill and dark brown eyes. The talons are quite sharp. This helps the bird to easily perch on vertical tree trunks.
Distribution:
The common flicker is found throughout Alabama and is present all the months of the year. It is one of the more common woodpeckers. Other races of the flicker are found over all of the North American Continent. The common flicker breeds from the tree line in Canada and Alaska south and eastward. This range lies generally east of the Rocky Mountains to the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean. Some flickers winter along the Canadian border, but the majority migrate southeastward and winter in the United States.
General:
The common flicker is more terrestrial in habit than are other woodpeckers. On the ground, it has an awkward hopping movement, but this does not slow its ground feeding. It is commonly observed feeding on lawns and is, perhaps, the most obvious woodpecker of the city and suburban areas.
Nesting and Reproduction:
The common flicker begins nesting in April and Alabama records show dependent nestlings as late as July. These dates will be later for the more northern breeding latitudes. The female lays 6 to 10 white colored eggs in a cavity of a dead tree, fence post or occasionally some other site including nest boxes, building roofs and earthern banks or cliffs. One egg is layed each day until the clutch is completed. Incubation of the eggs requires about 17 days and the nestlings are ready to fly (or fledge) about 3 weeks to a month after hatching. Both parents take part in the care and feeding of the young.
Food:
Flickers are reported to eat more ants than any other American bird. In addition, they consume most other types of insects such as grasshoppers, crickets, caterpillars and others. The flicker will also eat many types of vegetative materials including all types of berries, nuts, seeds and fruits. The berries of poison ivy appear to be a favorite.
Life Span:
The relatively large egg clutch indicates a fairly short lived bird. A single band return of just over three years may not be an unreasonable average age. However there is insufficient data to substantiate this as an average life span.
Predator Agents:
This species of wild bird is subject to predation from owls, hawks and tree climbing snakes. It is also subject to attack by these and mammalian predators when feeding on the ground. However, predation poses no threat to the species.
Management:
As with all song birds, the common flicker is protected by provisions of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act entered into by Mexico, Canada and the United States. Feeding habits of the flicker make it reasonably easy to produce food items that are attractive. Production of berries, nuts and seeds will attract other types of birds also. Since this bird will use a nest box for nesting, it lends itself to this phase of management by providing such sites. A box for a flicker should have a 7 x 7 inch floor, be 16 to 18 inches deep and have a 2 1/2 inch diameter entrance located 2 inches from the top. It should be located 6 to 20 feet above ground. The bottom should be covered with wood chips to a depth of 2 inches.
History: The common flicker is the State Bird of Alabama. Alabama has been known as the "Yellowhammer State" since the Civil War. The yellowhammer nickname was applied to the Confederate soldiers from Alabama when a company of young cavalry soldiers from Huntsville, under the command of Rev. D.C. Kelly, arrived at Hopkinsville, KY, where Gen. Forrest's troops were stationed. The officers and men of the Huntsville company wore fine, new uniforms, whereas the soldiers who had long been on the battlefields were dressed in faded, worn uniforms. On the sleeves, collars and coattails of the new calvary troop were bits of brilliant yellow cloth. As the company rode past Company A , Will Arnett cried out in greeting "Yellowhammer, Yellowhammer, flicker, flicker!" The greeting brought a roar of laughter from the men and from that moment the Huntsville soldiers were spoken of as the "yellowhammer company." The term quickly spread throughout the Confederate Army and all Alabama troops were referred to unofficially as the "Yellowhammers."
When the Confederate Veterans in Alabama were organized they took pride in being referred to as the "Yellowhammers" and wore a yellowhammer feather in their caps or lapels during reunions.

yhammer

No wonder it's the state bird. Alabama is FULL of fire ants!

State Flower

Common Camellia
Camellia japonica
Japanese Camellia, Snow Camellia

Description Evergreen cultivated shrub or small tree with large, showy flowers and narrow or rounded crown, hairless throughout.
Height: 30' (9 m).
Diameter: 6" (15 cm).
Leaves: evergreen; 2-4" (5-10 cm) wide. Elliptical, long-pointed at tip, short-pointed at base, finely saw-toothed, thick and leathery; short-stalked. Shiny dark green above, paler beneath.
Bark: gray, smooth.
Twigs: gray; slender
Flowers: 2-5" (5-13 cm) wide; with 5-7 spreading, rounded, waxy petals; red to pink, white, or variegated; with many stamens, or with stamens replaced by many narrow petals and "double" flowers; borne singly, upright and almost stalkless at base of leaves; from autumn to spring.
Fruit: 1 1/4" (3 cm) in diameter; a hard, brown, rounded capsule, thick-walled, 2- to 3-celled and splitting on 2-3 lines; few large rounded seeds; in autumn.
Habitat Grown as an ornamental in humid, warm temperate regions.
Range Native of Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. Planted in the Southeast and Pacific states.
Discussion A popular ornamental shrub with beautiful large flowers and glossy evergreen foliage, it is propagated by cuttings and grafting. More than 2,000 varieties exist, differing mainly in color and size of flowers. The generic name honors George Joseph Kame (whose surname was Latinized as Camellius), a Jesuit priest of the 17th century who lived in the Philippines.

camellia

State Tree

Longleaf Pine
Pinus palustris

Description Large tree with the longest needles and largest cones of any eastern pine and an open, irregular crown of a few spreading branches, 1 row added each year.
Height: 80-100' (24-30 m).
Diameter: 2-2 1/2' (0.6-0.8 m).
Needles: evergreen; mostly 10-15" (25-38 cm) long, on small plants to 18" (46 cm). Densely crowded, 3 in bundle; slightly stout, flexible; spreading to drooping; dark green.
Bark: orange-brown, furrowed into scaly plates; on small trunks, gray and rough.
Twigs: dark brown; very stout, ending in large white bud.
Cones: 6-10" (15-25 cm) long; narrowly conical or cylindrical; dull brown; almost stalkless; opening and shedding at maturity; cone-scales raised, keeled, with small prickle.
Habitat Well-drained sandy soils of flatlands and sandhills; often in pure stands.
Range Coastal Plain from SE. Virginia to E. Florida, and west to E. Texas. Usually below 600' (183 m); to 2000' (610 m) in foothills of Piedmont.
Discussion Longleaf Pine is a leading world producer of naval stores. The trees are tapped for turpentine and resin and then logged for construction lumber, poles and pilings, and pulpwood. Frequent fires caused by man or by lightning have perpetuated subclimax, pure stands of this species. The seedlings pass through a "grass" stage for a few years, in which the stem grows in thickness rather than height and the taproot develops rapidly. Later, the elongating, unbranched stem produces very long needles.

llp

State Amphibian

Red Hills Salamander

The official state amphibian of Alabama is the Red Hills salamander, Phaeognathus hubrichti Highton. Extremely secretive and rarely seen, the Red Hills salamander is thought to exist only in a limited area of south Alabama in Butler, Conecuh, Crenshaw, Covington and Monroe Counties.
The Red Hills salamander has a dark brown tail and body and grows to approximately ten inches in length. The salamander's diet consists primarily of insects and spiders.
Under federal protection since 1976, the Red Hills salamander is near extinction because of its limited range, specific habitat requirements, low reproductive rates and loss of habitat from logging and other practices. Under the Endangered Species Act, habitat for the Red Hills salamander cannot be damaged or changed without a special permit.

salamander

State Butterfly

Monarch
Danaus plexippus

Description 3 1/2-4" (89-102 mm). Very large, with FW long and drawn out. Above, bright, burnt-orange with black veins and black margins sprinkled with white dots; FW tip broadly black interrupted by larger white and orange spots. Below, paler, duskier orange. 1 black spot appears between HW cell and margin on male above and below. Female darker with black veins smudged.
Similar Species Viceroy smaller, has shorter wings and black line across HW. Queen and Tropic Queen are browner and smaller. Female Mimic has large white patch across black FW tips.
Life Cycle Egg, 3/64" h x 9/256" w(1.2 x 0.9 mm), pale green, ribbed, and pitted, is shaped like lemon with flat base. Caterpillar, to 2" (51 mm), is off-white with black and yellow stripes; 1 pair of fine black filaments extends from front and rear. Chrysalis, to 7/8" (28 mm), pale jade-green, studded with glistening gold; plump, rounded, appears lidded, with lid opening along abdominal suture. Host plants are milkweeds (Asclepias) and dogbane (Apocynum).
Flight Successive broods; April-June migrating northward, July-August resident in North, September-October migrating southward, rest of year in overwintering locales. Year-round resident in S. California and Hawaii.
Habitat On migration, anywhere from alpine summits to cities; when breeding, habitats with milkweeds, especially meadows, weedy fields and watercourses. Overwinters in coastal Monterey pine, Monterey cypress, eucalyptus groves in California, and fir forests in Mexican mountains.
Range Nearly all of North America from south of Hudson Bay through South America; absent from Alaska and Pacific Northwest Coast. Established in the Hawaiian Islands and Australia.
Discussion One of the best known butterflies, the Monarch is the only butterfly that annually migrates both north and south as birds do, on a regular basis. But no single individual makes the entire round-trip journey. In the fall, Monarchs in the North begin to congregate and to move southward. Midwestern and eastern Monarchs continue south all the way to the Sierra Madre of middle Mexico, where they spend the winter among fir forests at high altitudes. Far western and Sierra Nevada Monarchs fly to the central and southern coast of California, where they cluster in groves of pine, cypress, and eucalyptus in Pacific Grove and elsewhere. Winter butterflies are sluggish and do not reproduce; they venture out to take nectar on warm days. In spring they head north, breed along the way, and their offspring return to the starting point. Both Mexican and international efforts are underway to protect the millions of Monarchs that come to Mexico. In California, nearly all of the roosting sites face threatening development.

monarch

The Monarch is the official butterfly of several states, so we'll be seeing him again...:D

Olena, I'm in awe!!! :) This is absolutely wonderful, and very interesting. :) :)

Does Alabama really have an ant problem?

They've covered everything, wild flowers, amphibians, birds...this is very cool!

Thank you so much for putting this together. I think everybody should have a chance to see this. I'm going to put a link to it!

:)

Very, very nice! Thank you Olena!

And thank you Snowwark for posting a link on the CB. :)

Fire ants are a problem all over the South.

I put out a bag of Amdro twice a year in my spreader. They bite and it stings. Then the bites get itchy and red. It's not fun.

Any bird that chows on them gets my vote every day.

Originally posted by olena
I put out a bag of Amdro twice a year in my spreader. They bite and it stings. Then the bites get itchy and red. It's not fun.

Not fun at all. Especially if you're allergic to them. They have been known to kill people very quickly, usually because of allergic reactions. I'm allergic to them, too -- one of the reasons I do very little gardening. :( This spring I had *one* fireant bite me twice on the first joint of one of my fingers (first past the knuckle). That finger swelled up so badly that I couldn't bend it for a week. The finger next to it swelled up badly enough I couldn't bend it for 3 days. That's from *two* bites from *one* ant, meaning the second bite wasn't as strong.

Since then, I'm now getting fire-ant shots with my allergy shots, and have to have an epi-pen. The allergy doctor warned me that there have been patients who were allergic to fire ants who were bitten just a few times, didn't have an epi-pen, and died before they could get medical care. And these ants have a tendancy to swarm even worse than most other ants.

Fire ants are *not* to be messed with. Especially if you're allergic. DH now takes care of all ant poisoning since he isn't allergic (or at least not as much). Still risky, but not as much as being allergic.

Really, because of them, the only time I can safely garden is early spring before they come out. :(

Awesome....I too am in awe!!! It must have taken a long time to do all that work .Great post with a ton of info!!!! :) :)
Thanks

Awesome! I love "The Natural State" Olena, you sure did a lot of work putting this together.

A Blooming Dis Flower has us all learning about "The Natural State" and loving it, and looking forward to the next chapter.

Cool! I was doing work on Arizona today. I've always liked cacti, and I've found some neat stuff....:D

Rajah,

I totally understand about the allergy, though I'm not as severe. Amdro is my friend though. If I broadcast it with the spreader, it's usually safe for me to be gardening.

However, we had a problem with them in the house this Spring. They weren't in the kitchen or bathroom, they were on my computer desk. Apparently, all the rain had made the ground swell so much that the ants were being driven out. Where did they go? My house! We got the house sprayed and handled the problem. If you have a ton of rain, be on the lookout and possibly spray. I'd hate for you to be invaded like I was.

Wow Heather!! You really went to town. I'm looking forward to reading about all the states. Thanks for sharing all your hard work.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the info! I hope to travel to Alabama for the first time next month. We'll be in the Gulf Shores area.

Those fire ants sound like a force to be reckoned with!. Jeez.

Nothing like that around here in MN that I know of.

herc.

This is a really awesome post, Heather! Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together!

I can't wait to see more of these! :)

Great Job! My brother lives in Alabama. I will have to send him a link to this. I guess I will have to wait awhile before you get to NY...looks like you are going to go in Alphabetical Order.

Thanks so much for your hard work on this. It is appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter