The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon WFD friends. It's been a while since I've posted, I'll have to go back and read everything I missed, but for right now I have a question...

Does anyone here make sushi? DS and I are going to try making it. Does anyone have any tips? I know I need to get a bamboo rolling mat thingy, not sure where I'm going to find one though.

Last night we had grilled teriyaki skirt steak, white cheddar shells, and lima beans (DS requested the limas :confused3 )

WFD? Another "DS request" - smoked sausage, mac & cheese, and broccoli.

I have a rolling mat thingy in my cabinet I've never used. My SIL gave it to me one Christmas & I have never been brave enough to attempt it!

Anyone have any good salad dressing recipes, that you keep going back for?

I've tried making a few & have been disappointed in most. I'm going to try making a Caesar dressing today, without the eggs but with the anchovies. We'll see how this one comes out.:confused3

I have a rolling mat thingy in my cabinet I've never used. My SIL gave it to me one Christmas & I have never been brave enough to attempt it!
You should give it a try. I've watched a couple YouTube "how to make sushi" videos and it doesn't look that hard. I think we're going to start with vegetable rolls.

You should give it a try. I've watched a couple YouTube "how to make sushi" videos and it doesn't look that hard. I think we're going to start with vegetable rolls.

Thanks Sandy, I'll go take a look at that! The instructions that came with the mat were pretty intimidating.

Anyone have any good salad dressing recipes, that you keep going back for?

I've tried making a few & have been disappointed in most. I'm going to try making a Caesar dressing today, without the eggs but with the anchovies. We'll see how this one comes out.:confused3

Both of these are very good, the lime is a light dressing and the mango poppyseed goes well with a salad and grilled chicken or pork.

Honey Lime Dressing from 'Ohana
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients

1/2 C honey
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 C diced onion
1 C canola oil
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Method:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place all ingredients except oil in food processor and blend until
smooth. Slowly add oil until it is well incorporated into the
dressing. Makes 2 Cup.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mango Poppyseed from the SOA dinner[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 TBSP Corn Syrup
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 tsp. Onion Powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 TBSP Molasses
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Cups Canola Oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 TBSP Sugar
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 TBSP Dijon Mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 Mango Pureed
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 TBSP Poppyseeds[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Pinch Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 tsp. Garlic, chopped
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To Taste – White Pepper[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]METHOD:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Wash and peel mango. Dice into cubes and puree in food processor.

2. Continue blending and add the rest of the ingredients (except for the poppy seeds), blend until creamy consistency.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Pour in canola oil slowly until completely emulsified; add poppy seeds at the very end.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Adjust seasoning to taste and keep refrigerated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maple Dijon Dressing Recipezaar[/FONT]
1/4 cup light olive oil 1/2 cup salad oil 2 1/2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard 3 tablespoons maple syrup 2 tablespoons vinegar 1/4 cup half-and-half 1 dash salt 1 garlic clove
  1. Blend together all ingredients. Add a teaspoon more of vinegar or mustard if you like a sharper taste. The dressing gets better overnight and keeps for 4 to 5 days.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Thanks Nancy,:thumbsup2 I keep seeing the Ohana dressing talked about everywhere on the Dis & I have yet to try it! Now I have no excuse! Thanks for both, I keep trying & haven't found one yet that I want to have over & over.

I ended up making a "real" Caesar dressing with the coddled egg & the anchovies. Taste good but I haven't put it on the salad yet, we'll see what DH thinks.

Lauren, We are having Limoncello Cosmos before Dinner!!!:cool1: (Don't tell anyone my hubby will drink a pink girly drink!):laughing:

Limoncello Cosmopolitan: Combine 3/4 oz. vodka, 1/4 oz. cranberry juice and 1/4 oz. Limoncello. Pour into martini glass and garnish with a lemon wedge.

They are chilling right now, I made it as the recipe said & it was waay too strong for me, I probably added about 1 1/2 ounces of cranberry before it tasted right to me.

Good afternoon WFD friends. It's been a while since I've posted, I'll have to go back and read everything I missed, but for right now I have a question...

Does anyone here make sushi? DS and I are going to try making it. Does anyone have any tips? I know I need to get a bamboo rolling mat thingy, not sure where I'm going to find one though.

Last night we had grilled teriyaki skirt steak, white cheddar shells, and lima beans (DS requested the limas :confused3 )

WFD? Another "DS request" - smoked sausage, mac & cheese, and broccoli.

I've seen the mats at World market if you have one of those by you. Wm sonoma might have them as well.

Here's a link with recipes and a pictoral on rolling them http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/main/sushi/sushirolls.html

braised???(may be the word I mean!) pork chops with onions and potatoes! easy and quick and yummy! I am not much of a cooking fan(by not knowing terms other than boil, brown, grill , bake and simmer!) but you brown them a little in some butter or margarine(butter comes out better but since it is for 4 pork chops it ain't too bad!), then add onions and potatoes until bubbly, then add water and simmer for an hour or so. One pot, one mess-although I did steam broccoli for added veggies!
Lori

Thank you all for the thoughtfull concerns.....it was very frightening, when I got to the door I had to pause for a moment because I had no idea what I was going to find outside with dh......We are very lucky that he was not touching the nail when he pushed the fence up.....I can't even think of it........He is a little shook up still today just thinking about it......we were also told that he was lucky he didn't burn his eyes as well...........

The power was off most of the day here as the electrican was working on putting a new line and ground in.......he still has to come back in two weeks with the power company to run new wires from the house to where the power comes in........but we are now safe!!!

we didn't have burgers for dinner as we had no power and we need the propane filled on the grill, so when I picked ds up from karate we just grabbed some sandwiches from the local sand shop......

Shovan---I think I will make one of those cosmos up later tonight....I usually just sip my limoncello on the rocks but that sounds yummy

Glynis---Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back......I am so excited for you all what fun!

I am sure I missed some stuff and I will try to catch back up tomorrow, I have to go reset all the clocks and such......If I missed something important I am sorry......:)

Thank you all for the thoughtfull concerns.....it was very frightening, when I got to the door I had to pause for a moment because I had no idea what I was going to find outside with dh......We are very lucky that he was not touching the nail when he pushed the fence up.....I can't even think of it........He is a little shook up still today just thinking about it......we were also told that he was lucky he didn't burn his eys as well...........

The power was off most of the day here as the electrican was working on putting a new line and ground in.......he still has to come back in two weeks with the power company to run new wires from the house to where the power comes in........but we are now safe!!!

we didn't have burgers for dinner as we had no power and we need the propane filled on the grill, so when I picked ds up from karate we just grabbed some sandwiches from the local sand shop......

Shovan---I think I will make one of those cosmos up later tonight....I usually just sip my limoncello on the rocks but that sounds yummy

Glynis---Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back......I am so excited for you all what fun!

I am sure I missed some stuff and I will try to catch back up tomorrow, I have to go reset all the clocks and such......If I missed something important I am sorry......:)

I'm glad your husband and all of you are safe. Electricity can be very scary

Lauren, We are having Limoncello Cosmos before Dinner!!!:cool1: (Don't tell anyone my hubby will drink a pink girly drink!):laughing:

Limoncello Cosmopolitan: Combine 3/4 oz. vodka, 1/4 oz. cranberry juice and 1/4 oz. Limoncello. Pour into martini glass and garnish with a lemon wedge.

They are chilling right now, I made it as the recipe said & it was waay too strong for me, I probably added about 1 1/2 ounces of cranberry before it tasted right to me.

Oh my, Sheryl! That is something I would totally be into...I won't say anything about your hubby if you won't say anything about my DF!!! :lmao: I guess Tom is not so ashamed of pink drinks though since he is known to order Malibu Bay Breezes when we are out. :rolleyes1

I am gonna try that on the weekend! :thumbsup2 Thanks!

Tonight for dinner is going to be the burgers we never had last night. I will serve it with a nice green salad.

wendie--forgot to mention yesterday, but thank goodness your DH was okay! My DH is an electrical engineer and got a huge shock at work a few years ago. I couldn't believe he wasn't hurt worse than he was

Tonight will hopefully be burgers on the grill. Weather looks iffy though.

I've always seen this thread, but never looked before today...when I need some new dinner ideas! So, a big THANK YOU is in order for all of you!

I can't wait to try a few of these out!

If you're still looking for salad dressing recipes Shovan, here's my favorite Italian dressing:

1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 t chopped fresh oregano/ or 1/2 t dried
3 T red wine vinegar
1/3 c ev olive oil
pinch of sugar

Beat all in a bowl with a fork to blend.

I've always seen this thread, but never looked before today...when I need some new dinner ideas! So, a big THANK YOU is in order for all of you!

I can't wait to try a few of these out!

Welcome to the WFD thread!!! Please come back and join us...we're a nice group and Lindsay does a great job with recipe listing on the first page!!!

-----

Well, I have been craving Glynis' Pizza Meatloaf Muffins so that is whats for dinner! :thumbsup2 I am not sure of sides yet.

Have a great day all!

Lauren

Welcome to the WFD thread!!! Please come back and join us...we're a nice group and Lindsay does a great job with recipe listing on the first page!!!

-----

Well, I have been craving Glynis' Pizza Meatloaf Muffins so that is whats for dinner! :thumbsup2 I am not sure of sides yet.

Have a great day all!

Lauren

Thank you! I have a feeling I"ll be here daily now. I have so many cookbooks, but it's so much better to get a recipe from someone who's tried it and liked it.:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter