The Perils of International Travel during Covid

As far as testing - I just returned from Greece and we brought he Abbott home test kits with us as well. It did take longer than it should
have for shipping - it was supposed to be overnight, but I ended up ordering them on a Friday and didn't receive them until the following Wednesday - so just something to be aware of. We had no issues waiting for a proctor on a video call - they seem to have resolved their wait time problems from a few weeks ago and we got through right away. Super easy and convenient to do. Though I will say, there were options all over for getting rapid or quick result PCR tests - much more availability than it seems we have in the US. All hotels we were at also had the option to have someone come to the hotel and give you a rapid or PCR test right there for pretty reasonable prices. From what I've read, it seems that's pretty common in much of Europe right now.

This is pretty good to hear. We missed out on our holiday to Spain after we all tested positive. We have thought about switching to Greece as they have better entry requirements with a covid recovery certificate

And our return flight was canceled again. Both were British Air. We'll be looking to schedule with a different airline for attempt #3.
Aw, man! Unbelievable! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! At least I presume you're still at home, and not having to deal with this from Europe?

Sayhello

Sorry to hear this @aggiedog. I fly BA all the time and they are constantly changing flights (which usually works out well for me since it gives me a free change and opens up the award space), but they typically to it a month or two in advance. I'm surprised that they cancelled something so soon. I think you are supposed to be there or are leaving soon? I have a few flights with BA in the next month or two so I hope this isn't part of their new normal.

Guess we'll stay home until things get better. Wanted to spend 5 - 6 weeks in Scotland, England & Wales this Spring. Both DW and I are thankful we've been able to travel to numerous countries over the years. Let's hope better times come soon. I'm not so sure since most of humanity isn't vaccinated a vaccine resistant variant may develop. Then what?

I feel so badly for Amawaterways because I think a big chunk of their customer base is from the US. :(

Yes. We’ve been in Prague for almost 48 hours. The flights were fine. Dh had a small panic attack the morning we left, worried that his PCR test was one day too early. The agent took a loooong time looking at his results, then rechecked mine (done a day later) then cleared us both. Whew!

Just got a message last night that our return flight thru Lufthansa was canceled and now we’re scheduled to leave a day early. Dh is currently cursing a blue streak. While it’s the BritishAir leg that’s been the problem, it’s ultimately thru American.

On the flip side, Prague is nice. 🤨

Not sure where to put this, so I'm just starting a new thread. I posted this spring about our trip to Morocco and how our Air France flight home had been changed to require a 16 hr overnight in the Paris airport. We ultimately canceled it and changed to Air Maroc direct to JFK, which was good because 2 days later all flights in/through France were canceled anyways due to a Covid surge.

We are supposed to be leaving for a Danube river cruise with Avalon next weekend. Yesterday, we received an email from American that "your flight has been changed but we were unable to rebook you." Dh calls American, is told they are busy, please leave your number and they will call you back "between 2 1/2 and 11 hours from now." Nice. He tries again this morning, gets a human, and finds out our entire journey home has been canceled and the next flight they can get us on leaves TEN days later. Say what?

No resolution yet. So frustrating.

Also, we live in a rural area, so there is exactly 1 rapid result Covid PCR testing site within an hour of us. They are no longer doing rapid result travel tests because the number of sick Covid patients they are having to do. So, I have to find somewhere I can go late after work in one of the big cities around us. We leave on a Sunday, so there's Saturday as well, but that cuts it too close for my comfort. We're also not entirely sure what we need, since we are flying thru London, to the Czech Republic, and Avalon requires a negative test to board the boat, but we'll be in Prague for 36 hours prior, but at a hotel Avalon booked for us so our TA says that should count as "the beginning of Avalon sponsored tour." If not, we'll need to find somewhere to be tested in Prague or they leave us on the pier?? We're both fully vaccinated, and I'm getting a booster this afternoon.

All of this is better than getting Covid, or being left in Afghanistan, so I really can't complain, but it is sapping the fun out of anticipating our vacation.
Now is not the time to travel. I think the universe is telling you that.

TBH, I was ready to reschedule the whole thing once our return flight was canceled the first time. The uncertainty, masking, all of it, sucks some of the joy from it. Dh, however, has been hell bent to “just get on with living” for awhile now. I’m fairly certain it would have taken an ultimatum I’m not willing to make to get him to change his mind.

TBH, I was ready to reschedule the whole thing once our return flight was canceled the first time. The uncertainty, masking, all of it, sucks some of the joy from it. Dh, however, has been hell bent to “just get on with living” for awhile now. I’m fairly certain it would have taken an ultimatum I’m not willing to make to get him to change his mind.

I totally get where your DH is coming from. COVID could go on for years and that’s a long time to put off doing things in life that give us pleasure.

Glad you made it on your trip. You’ll get home somehow and with a story to tell ;)

Tonight (3/14 a/k/a pi day) ABD has already posted an update dated for tomorrow on the website for Health and Safety. They have further refined travel "pods" and outlined different masking requirements depending on the CDC level of the country at the time of the visit. It makes clear that they WILL travel to level 4 countries - this is no longer a reason to cancel a trip. The update appears logical, reasonable and balanced for international travel. There is adventure out there!

Tonight (3/14 a/k/a pi day) ABD has already posted an update dated for tomorrow on the website for Health and Safety. They have further refined travel "pods" and outlined different masking requirements depending on the CDC level of the country at the time of the visit. It makes clear that they WILL travel to level 4 countries - this is no longer a reason to cancel a trip. The update appears logical, reasonable and balanced for international travel. There is adventure out there!
It's dated 3/14/22 now.

Thanks for the head's up!

Sayhello

Thanks for posting, I’ve not been regularly checking for updates. The way it reads to me, level 1-3 countries & areas are more like back to the AbD of pre-Covid for the most part, and level 4 countries are the way it’s been for the past several months since AbD travel resumed with a bit more separation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter