The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

I just want to find out what it is already so I can start complaining with a bit of accuracy.

I'm going to be dragging 10 people including me, 3 of which are under 5, around Disney in February, all of whom are going to be looking at me for guidance as I'm a planner and know Disney pretty well. (thanks to this site BTW)

So I just want an idea of what that is going to look like to start my planning. I liked the FP+ system well enough as i got good at the refreshing part of it to land available FP.

I just want to see the app, see reports of it in action, and plan accordingly. I feel for all of you trying to take a trip in the next few months. You will be guinea pigs. And we need you to report here on what is what.
I travel in September, I will be a guinea pig if I don't have to wait so long for rides.

Right now, I hate the vq. Unless you have a bot, a super computer, and a lag free network connection to their server, you have a better chance at winning the powerball jackpot.

If genie could provide you with a vq for that must do ride at least once during your trip, I think you would find greater acceptance of the app and happier guests.
I assume you mean for RotR? I would expect virtual queues for other rides to be much more accessible. It’s used to good effect at Universal.

Since I have no clue what it is, I have no feelings about it. From reading the posts above, I'm assuming (I know, I know) that it is an app. that plans your day for you depending on things you put in it.

We are the wing it people. We don't make ADRs in advance, just day of. We rarely used FP when it was free so I doubt I would pay for it. We sometimes would get a FP for something while we were standing in line if that FP was for about a half hour out from when we were supposed to get off the current ride but that was it. We aren't ride centric, we like to ride the rides but that isn't the focus of our trip. If we want to ride something and have to stand in line for it, so be it, we stand in line. We don't have to ride as many rides as possible on a given day, nor do we want to have to eat at a certain time or at a certain place that was planned months in advance. Heck, it's 12:30 pm right now and I haven't eaten lunch and still don't know what I want to eat or when I will eat it.

My issue with this is that the top attractions are never going to have short waits. There is unlikely to be a time that I can get in line for Slinky Dog where I'm not going to be waiting an hour. For my family with young kids, that is prohibitive.

Many years ago I stopped going to the local Six Flags, because I realized that my park ticket was only getting me on two rides, due to HOURS long waits. That's a lot of money to spend for two rides, and it's not how I wanted to spend my money or time then, and it's not how I want to spend my money or time now either. We don't fly to Disney and spend thousands on accommodations for the lower tier rides. There are versions of those all over the place in my area at the local boardwalks and theme parks. We go for those E-ticket attractions. Sure, I'll probably be able to skip the lines if I'm willing to pay something like $40 a pop for my entire family, but I at that point I just feel nickeled and dimed, and FORCED into paying for an attraction that is SUPPOSEDLY included in my park ticket.

Disney is allowed to do whatever they want to do, but at that point it just stops feeling like a vacation to me. It sounds stressful having to decide which rides warrant that extra cost and which don't. And where couples, singles, and families with older kids can manage a line like that, I'd feel like families with smaller kids would just wind up being taken advantage of. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't want to spend a vacation feeling that way.

Well said, fully agreed.

Disney should lower ticket prices to reflect the added cost of paid fastpasses when this comes out but we all know that won’t happen.

Pay more for less and disguising it as a “guest enhancement” or “leveling the playing field” doesn’t change the fact that we are paying more for less everytime we enter into a new transaction with Disney (aka each vacation we take).

We would pay for a FP+ option but wouldn't be happy about it. We'd feel bad for the people who wouldn't be able to afford that kind of access or those who don't have or aren't proficient in using smart phones.

The reliance on smart phones for things like getting a boarding pass for RotR leads me to point out something else that Disney should do. We need plenty of places throughout the parks to charge our devices. I try to go light in the parks and don't like having to carry multiple power banks for DH & I to get through the day. How about placing with USB hubs and outlets at the tables in restaurants and near all restrooms?
Disney has the, IMHO overpriced, fuel rod kiosks.

I really don't see how people can already be so adamantly against it when so little info has been released on what it can do.

But maybe I'm just starting to get exhausted from all the constant negativity by some people on here.

Because it’s a change that many people feel is unwarranted and unnecessary. Especially and most importantly with the promise of added costs for things that were once free. These are the only details needed to make any long time customer mad at any company, let alone Disney.

I really don't see how people can already be so adamantly against it when so little info has been released on what it can do.

But maybe I'm just starting to get exhausted from all the constant negativity by some people on here.
Agree!

Because it’s a change that many people feel is unwarranted and unnecessary. Especially and most importantly with the promise of added costs for things that were once free. These are the only details needed to make any long time customer mad at any company, let alone Disney.
Yes but it does not seem to be the FP+ system. If it were the same system but now for a fee, I could understand all the upset I see in the boards. But it’s a new system, with what looks to be paid options and free options.

Every major theme park has some sort of pay for shorter lines option, including (I believe) all other Disney sites. This was an inevitability. Let’s see what it is.

Doesn't bother me, I'm excited to learn what it offers. Whether I actually use it or enjoy remains to be seen. But nothing I've heard so far has been something I'm not interested in.

We would pay for a FP+ option but wouldn't be happy about it. We'd feel bad for the people who wouldn't be able to afford that kind of access or those who don't have or aren't proficient in using smart phones.

The reliance on smart phones for things like getting a boarding pass for RotR leads me to point out something else that Disney should do. We need plenty of places throughout the parks to charge our devices. I try to go light in the parks and don't like having to carry multiple power banks for DH & I to get through the day. How about placing USB hubs and outlets at the tables in restaurants and near all restrooms?
Disney already has the, JMO over priced, fuel rod kiosks. Free electricity to charge devices...Not this management group

Disney has the, IMHO overpriced, fuel rod kiosks.

Yes, I know as we've bought them in the past. The problem is that you can't get them everywhere and they are slow charging our devices. I'd rather be able to plug in a fast USB cable anywhere in the park rather than having to track down the few shops that have a fuel rod that I can purchase but then also have to carry around with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter