The pumpkin, fall/winter squash and sweet potato recipe thread

I just had to include this recipe for zucchini mock apple pie. It's got to be one of most interesting (yeah, that's a nice word ;)) desserts I've ever seen. Supposedly, people have been fooled into thinking that it's really an apple pie. I've had this recipe in my files for years, but I've never been brave enough to try it. If any of you are brave enough to try this recipe, please come back at let me know how you liked it. Thanks!

Zucchini Mock Apple Pie (I cut this recipe out of a magazine, but I don't remember which one!)

6 cups zucchini (peel, cut lengthwise, remove seeds, slice 1/4-inch thick)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
Butter
Pastry for two-crust pie

-Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

-Cook zucchini slices in boiling water until barely tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from stove and drain well. Let zucchini cool.

-In a bowl, toss zucchini with sugars, cinnamon, cream of tartar, cornstarch and salt, until well coated.

-Place pastry in a 9-inch, greased pie pan. Fill with zucchini mix. Dot with butter and drizzle with vinegar. Top with crust.

-Bake for 12 minutes at 475 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Sweet Potato Pie with Streusel Topping (from Taste of the South magazine)

Makes 2 (9-inch) pies

Topping:

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup (6 Tbsp.) butter
1/2 cup pecan pieces

Filling:

2 cups cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. bourbon *
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 (9-inch) pie shells, unbaked

*Vanilla extract or maple flavoring may be substituted for bourbon, if desired.

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients; stir well. Set aside.

-In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sugars, and butter or margarine; mix well. Add evaporated milk, bourbon, eggs, and cinnamon; mix well.

-Pour filling into pie shells. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping evenly over each pie. Bake for 1 hour, or until center is set.

Pumpkin-Spice Cake with Brown-Butter Glaze (from Good Housekeeping magazine)

Pumpkin-Spice Cake:

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
4 large eggs

Brown-Butter Glaze:

6 Tbsp. butter (no substitutions)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.

-For the cake: In a medium bowl, stir flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla.

-In a large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat granulated sugar and butter until blended, scraping bowl frequently with a rubber spatula. Increase speed to high; beat until creamy, about 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Reduce speed to low; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture, alternately with pumpkin mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat batter just until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.

-Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. With a small spatula or butter knife, loosen the cake from the side of the pan. Invert cake onto the wire rack; remove pan. Cool cake completely.

-For the glaze: Make sure cake is completely cooled. In a 2-quart saucepan, heat butter over medium heat about 3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar and milk and shisk over low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture just comes to a simmer, about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat; gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.

-Place cake on cake plate or cake stand. Pour brown-butter glaze evenly over cake, letting the glaze drip down the sides.

I am attempting a pie made from a baked pie pumpkin. It looks really watery. We'll see...
Now, what to do with the rest of the pumpkin. Decisions, decisions...

I am attempting a pie made from a baked pie pumpkin. It looks really watery. We'll see...
Now, what to do with the rest of the pumpkin. Decisions, decisions...

I hope the pie comes out great! I suggest you do the old "eeny, meeny, miney, moe" to decide on how to use the rest of the pumpkin. :thumbsup2

By the way, we're doing a "Hottest Men" list on the Unicorn thread. Check it out. We've got pics!! They're required! :laughing: ;)

Thanksgiving Morn Pumpkin Coffee Cake (from debbiescountrycookin.com)

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsps vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp each, baking powder and soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 3/4 cup solid-pack pumpkin
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsps pumpkin pie spice

Streusel (recipe follows)

-Cream butter, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well. Combine dry ingredients, add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. In another bowl, combine pumpkin, beaten egg, 1/3 cup sugar and pie spice. Spoon half of the batter into a 13"x9" baking pan, spread half of the pumpkin mixture and then half of the streusel. Repeat layers, ending with streusel on top.

-Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minute, or until tested done in middle. Serves 12.

STREUSEL:

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 tsps cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts

Mix together and sprinkle over top of cake.

It worked and I made pumpkin bread from a previously posted recipe. Sampled that, too! Yum!

that another DIS'er shared
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Downeas...ad/Detail.aspx

All of my life I have hated anything pumpkin or pumpkin tasting, however last week my husband had to host a meeting and he asked me to make some pumpkin bread..this was the recipe I chose..it made 3 loaf pans full..we added walnuts, white chocolate chips, and raisins and put cream cheese frosting on top
It looked and smelled so good..that I finally had to get a fork and take a piece from his plate when he was 'taste testing' it..it was delicious!..
The next morning he took 2 of the loaves to work, then came home and told me he had bad news..he had mixed up the dates of the meeting and it's tomorrow instead of last week..so he had brought the breads up to the office/training center, and everyone raved about them
So here I sit on a cool Nov morning..and there are 3 more loaves of that same bread baking in the oven..and I can't wait for dessert tonite to get myself another piece of it..lol!
So thanks to the original DIS'er who posted that recipe!
Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!

It worked and I made pumpkin bread from a previously posted recipe. Sampled that, too! Yum!

I'm glad the pie and the pumpkin bread turned out well! :goodvibes

Thanks for the feedback! Apparently, it's a really popular recipe. When I went to check out the recipe, I saw that it had over 2,000 reviews. I read through the first few pages and found that almost all of the reviews were very positive. I'm definitely going to try it this year. All those people can't be wrong! :)

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the "Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice" weekend. I think I may have gained 5 pounds after posting those recipes! :laughing: Those of you who want healthier options or are just plain sick of seeing dessert recipes, take heart. The recipes are coming your way.

Sweet Potatoes Anna (originally printed in the New York Times)

6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

-Heat oven to 425 degrees. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice potatoes about 1/8-inch thick. Place in a very large bowl, and add butter, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well until all slices are well coated with butter and seasonings.

-Reserve about a dozen of the best-looking slices for top layer. Arrange a layer of slightly overlapping slices in 10-inch round gratin dish, skillet or other shallow ovenproof pan. Layer potatoes until all are used, topping gratin with reserved slices.

-Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil directly on top of potatoes. Place pan in oven, and place a heavy pan slightly smaller in diameter than first pan directly on foil. Bake for 30 minutes.

-Remove top pan, and carefully peel away foil. (If necessary, use a spatula to help separate foil from potatoes.) Continue baking until potatoes are soft and top is almost caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Cut into wedges and serve hot.

Makes 6-8 servings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter