The Rum Runners: A Pre Trip Report - UPDATED: 8/2/10

Tinkerbellarella

DIS Veteran
From the annals of "things I thought I'd never hear myself say", I said to my boyfriend a couple of nights ago:

"Honey, I'm going to be a runner."

I'm not an athlete. Heck, I'm not even a fan of running if I'm in danger of missing my train home. But I am, in fact, going to be a runner. Notice, I did not say try to be a runner, I said BE a runner.

Do or do not, there is no try.

A great, ancient, green dude said that.

:yoda:

Now, before you go checking your settings to see if you somehow landed on a W.I.S.H. thread instead of a pre-trip report, I assure you, this IS a Tinkerbellarella PTR and you ARE in the right place.

To make a long story short (for now anyway - I'll give you the full history of how this idea came to fruition in an upcoming chapter), a friend and I have started training for a local 5K in June and will then begin training in earnest for a Half Marathon.

Specifically, the Disney Half Marathon in January 2011.

Lace up your running shoes, Mickey, this girl is running in your World!

The basic plan is this: train for both races (and possibly a 10k in between) while planning this trip and share with you the ups and downs, the pleasure and pain, the glory and fury...oh and I'll probably talking about the training too. Because you did know all of the previous was about the trip planning, right? Of course you did, you're a DISer. And likely also a card-carrying member of "I packed a poncho, back-up poncho, rain coat and umbrella" club.

Eight months, three weeks and six days might seem like plenty of time to plan this trip AND train, but you and I both know that on January 6th I'll be pulling my hair out wondering if I should pack a 9th pair of socks or not. Add to the pot that I may also be planning for a September week to the World (likely with PTR for that one in tow) and seriously folks, this is a train wreck you probably won't want to miss!

So, grab a Powerade (red's my favorite), a fresh pair of Nike's, some IcyHot and let's do this!

:flower3:

Chp. 1: You just read it folks!
Chp. 2: Who are those idiots running? Wait, are they convulsing or running?
Chp. 3: Changes Ahead! Properly Warned Ye Be!
Chp. 4: I walked for miles and miles and miles and miles and miiiiiiles…
Chp. 5: In a perfect world…
Chp. 6: A Not-So-Brief, Not-So-Disney Summer Interlude
A Brief Interruption: I Have This Musing In My Head...
Chp. 7: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes...

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO IN! I just started running too and I'm planning on a 5K on July 4th! I know what it feels like to feel strange calling yourself a runner, I have never been one, but I am now! That's what I keep telling myself when I'm huffing through week 3. :laughing:

I'll be reading and chatting with you on your journey, it looks like we'll be on a similar path! :cool1:

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO IN! I just started running too and I'm planning on a 5K on July 4th! I know what it feels like to feel strange calling yourself a runner, I have never been one, but I am now! That's what I keep telling myself when I'm huffing through week 3. :laughing:

I'll be reading and chatting with you on your journey, it looks like we'll be on a similar path! :cool1:

:wave2:

Welcome! I have to say, I've never been so totally nervous and totally amped about doing something in my whole life. I imagine it's like having a baby...only without the epidural. :laughing:

Glad you've decided to come along for the ride, er, run. I'm sure we'll be comparing notes sooner than we think!

I'm in, chiquita. For support and general discourse, savvy?

Can't wait to be part of this one, Tink!! I'll read it all in the AM. :)

I started training too, if that word can be loosely applied to this sort of degree. Running is hardly what I'd describe a "40 something" year old Momma of 5 as doing when turtle pacing around the streets. But started, I have.

Now, my Nike's are on, figuratively speaking, the rum is flowing, and I"m ready to visit your trainwreck as it unfolds.

Woo Hoo! New Tink PTR! :woohoo:

Just think, you'll have me to watch and learn what not to do first. Ha!

I can completely relate to where your coming from with this. My friends are thinking I've gone a bit off the deep end, and even my nieces have told me they don't think I can do this. They are 6 and 9 years old. I will do this. You will do this.

That little ancient green guy knows what he's talking about.

There is no try!

Is this the Princess Half Marathon? I am considering training for that one, after the baby is born, of course. :goodvibes I am not a runner either, never have been. I have asthma and would do anything I could to get out of running in gym class. Even ditching class if necessary :tiptoe: :ssst:

But I will be needing to get back in shape and hear that is one of the best ways. So I want to be a runner too!

Is this the Princess Half Marathon? I am considering training for that one, after the baby is born, of course. :goodvibes I am not a runner either, never have been. I have asthma and would do anything I could to get out of running in gym class. Even ditching class if necessary :tiptoe: :ssst:

But I will be needing to get back in shape and hear that is one of the best ways. So I want to be a runner too!

I so need to be your DIS running buddy.

I'm expecting right now as well, so training is off until after the baby is born. I have never been a runner either, but I am so inspired by Tink that I think we can all do this! :thumbsup2

Now, my Nike's are on, figuratively speaking, the rum is flowing, and I"m ready to visit your trainwreck as it unfolds.

:thumbsup2

I'm hoping to be writing the "Who" chapter to get this puppy started tomorrow.

I can completely relate to where your coming from with this. My friends are thinking I've gone a bit off the deep end, and even my nieces have told me they don't think I can do this. They are 6 and 9 years old. I will do this. You will do this.

That little ancient green guy knows what he's talking about.

There is no try!

I've already had people tell me that I can't do this. I put them on my mental checklist entitled "Do Not Discuss Running With These People - NO SUPPORT". They will also be some of the first people I share my accomplishment with. ::yes::

Is this the Princess Half Marathon?

No, this is in January. The Princess Half Marathon is in March and then the Wine and Dine is in October. We won't be ready for October and we don't want to wait until March (though it would be our back-up plan). My goal is to complete this one but do the Wine and Dine annually.

I am so inspired by Tink that I think we can all do this! :thumbsup2

Awww, honey, you got me all misty eyed! Thank you. :blush:

Hey guys, again I'm hoping to have the next part up tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. We're on vacation this week so I have a bit more time than usual though we have plans for a day trip tomorrow so we'll see how this all pans out.

:flower3:

Aw, are you feeling misty?

And how rude to not even have started something and already have naysayers! Good idea for the mental to do list about who not to discuss it with.

I'm of the Barbie mantra, "we girls can do anything." Savvy?

TK, you just know that's going to be in my head all day long now don't you? :rotfl:

Right, Barbie??? :lmao:

Sorry. It was the first thing that popped into mind. I must be channeling my inner girliness given that I'm destined to spend the rest of my days in a testosterone laden environment.

I so need to be your DIS running buddy.

I'm expecting right now as well, so training is off until after the baby is born. I have never been a runner either, but I am so inspired by Tink that I think we can all do this! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a good idea! :thumbsup2 I'm not due until the end of Sept, though, so I wouldn't be able to start training until December (planned repeat c-section) and a January marathon is probably too soon for me. Maybe March?

Sounds like a good idea! :thumbsup2 I'm not due until the end of Sept, though, so I wouldn't be able to start training until December (planned repeat c-section) and a January marathon is probably too soon for me. Maybe March?

No problem, my dear! I'm not planning on training for the January one either, way too soon. I'm thinking maybe I can swing the Food and Wine one next year.

YAY! I'm in for this PTR/trainwreck too! :cheer2:

I found it at exactly the right time. I just started my program on Monday (walking for a while first because I tore up my hamstring in a freak snowshoveling accident in February). :sad2:

I already have blisters on both heels, a ridiculously unhappy hamstring, and a bruise on my other shin because my bad leg wouldn't hold me up when I got off the couch the first evening...I fell into the coffee table! :laughing: Good times!

The Yoda quote is going on a sign by my treadmill. :yoda:

I can't wait to hear more! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter