The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: I used to use nuun, but then I read Stacy Sims's book ROAR and she said nuun and a lot of other "hydration" mixes were actually counterproductive because [reasons I don't really understand because every time someone starts talking about nutrition science my brain glazes over]. However, I did write down what she thinks good hydration includes:

Ideal solution
  • 3-4% carb (7-9.4g per 8 oz)
  • Sugars: 7-9.4g from glucose and sucrose
  • Sodium: 180-225 mg
  • Potassium: 60-75 mg
  • Examples: Osmo Hydration, Skratch Labs, Clif Shot, GU Hydration Drink Mix, Bonk Breaker Real Hydration
I have tried Osmo and Skratch and they are both pretty good. ETA I also tried Liquid IV one time and thought it was absolutely disgusting, so YMMV 😅

lol me too on the not sure I want to run. Why oh why do I enter race lotteries for races I have no business running. It's a really bad time for my work schedule to travel across the ocean and run a marathon. Of course if we get in, it seems like a once in a lifetime chance so I at least will have to make it work.
Me too! I enter and then think, what if I actually get in? But I would make it work.

QOTD: Also liquid iv. though I have only tried a couple of flavors so far.

ATTQOTD: I also drink Liquid IV because I can get it cheap at Costco. :D It was on sale last month so I stocked up. The tropical punch flavor is my FAVORITE, it's like drinking a boat drink. 🍹
I have never seen the Tropical punch at the costcos I go too. Very jealous! I love all things tropical punch flavored.

ATTQOTD:
The last couple of summers, I think I have used Strawberry Lemonade Skratch.
I mainly use Saltstick Caps for Electrolytes and then add liquid electrolytes if it is going to be extra hot.
Sometimes I will carry my two bottle OrangeMud Hydraquiver, and carry water in one and electrolyte mix in the other.
If I know what a race that I’m going to run will use, I try and use that to make sure my stomach can handle it. I generally don’t have issues with different types like some people.

I have never seen the Tropical punch at the costcos I go too. Very jealous! I love all things tropical punch flavored.
my store usually only has the strawberry/golden cherry pack, so I ordered the Tropical Punch online. The next time I was at the store, they had it in stock!

QOTD: I like Nuun tabs but I just got myself a sample pack of LMNT and so far I like it. A little salty but not bad. I tried Liquid IV and something about the taste was off to me.

ATTQOTD: I used to use nuun, but then I read Stacy Sims's book ROAR and she said nuun and a lot of other "hydration" mixes were actually counterproductive because [reasons I don't really understand because every time someone starts talking about nutrition science my brain glazes over]. However, I did write down what she thinks good hydration includes:

Ideal solution
  • 3-4% carb (7-9.4g per 8 oz)
  • Sugars: 7-9.4g from glucose and sucrose
  • Sodium: 180-225 mg
  • Potassium: 60-75 mg
  • Examples: Osmo Hydration, Skratch Labs, Clif Shot, GU Hydration Drink Mix, Bonk Breaker Real Hydration
I have tried Osmo and Skratch and they are both pretty good. ETA I also tried Liquid IV one time and thought it was absolutely disgusting, so YMMV 😅
Liquid IV varies the most by flavor, some are wretched and others are decent enough.

Skratch Labs is almost universally great. If you’re an exceptionally salty sweater like I am I’d rec Science in Sports as a less evil Nuun replacement (Nestle really sucks)

Most of you who use Liquid IV...do you drink it before, during or after your run? I have one little package of it I got as a free sample and might want to try it at some point.

Most of you who use Liquid IV...do you drink it before, during or after your run? I have one little package of it I got as a free sample and might want to try it at some point.
Depends on the heat and how long the run is. Summer here in TX I usually go a no-sugar electrolyte like Science in Sport before and something lightly sweetened like Liquid IV after.

Edit: long runs (anything over ~6 mi at TD 130+) I’ll alternate water and sweetened electrolytes.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I mostly use salt chews and drink regular water during runs but will mix in an occasional electrolyte drink during the day, more in the summertime because the conditions are so tough and I am sweaty! I usually use something without sugar as I prefer not to drink my calories. I have used nuun, skratch, and water drop tabs. I have also gotten some liquid IV samples from my grocery store of all places, and those taste pretty good without having too much sugar.

Like @Grabnar said, depends on the heat. I only started using it the past few months when it's been really hot. I typically use one packet during a run and one packet after. When it's not as hot, I will drink regular water during the run and Liquid IV after. For Disney races, I plan to bring some with me as I hate the Gatorade/Powerade flavor they have on the RD courses.

ATTQOTD: I've found that I don't need it (knock wood) during my runs. My DD's cardiologist wants her drinking electrolytes throughout the day (needs the salt to help keep her BP up) and the only one she likes is Gatorade Zero, so that's what we keep in the house and I use it after my workouts. For harder workouts I will use Tailwind recovery instead.

Before. WELL before. At the risk of TMI, it works quite efficiently in my system, so if I have it too close to a run I will definitely have to stop and get rid of it during.

Need advice and suggestions from group. My oldest DD is training for her first HM at MW and I want to get her a hydration belt to start using. She’s only 4’10” and while I’m no giant, I have no clue what might be a good for her to try. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Need advice and suggestions from group. My oldest DD is training for her first HM at MW and I want to get her a hydration belt to start using. She’s only 4’10” and while I’m no giant, I have no clue what might be a good for her to try. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
No specific suggestions on belts.

When I bought mine, I was at REI and tried a couple of them on and walked around the store shopping to see how they felt. It gave me a better idea than just a 30 second trial. FWIW I settled on a 16oz Nathan belt with a pocket for gels/chews. It nests perfectly in the small of my back.

I'm 4'10." :) I got a Spibelt and it has worked well for me. I've only used it on a few runs so far as I'm not training for a half yet, but it's what I plan to wear for Princess weekend.

For water, I use a Nathan handheld bottle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter