The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: How many miles do you get out of your running shoes? How do you decide when it's time for a new pair? (Bonus: What shoe are you currently running in?)

Around 300, but I don't really track. I usually go by feel. I know I need new shoes as the pair I currently have I bought last December :scared1: But I didn't do much besides walking during initial covid lockdown so I was less interested in replacing them. I will be getting a new pair shortly. I have always run in Nike Pegasus and will be getting another pair.

QOTD: How many miles do you get out of your running shoes? How do you decide when it's time for a new pair? (Bonus: What shoe are you currently running in?)
ATTQOTD: It's rare that I can get more than 200 miles out of a shoe. I'm small and light, but I land forefoot and I live in FL - nobody but Newton really shores up the forefoot of a shoe to last, and the heat here in FL degrades rubber quickly. Once the treads are pretty flat on the outsole, they get slippery on my nearly-always-wet-and-moldy sidewalks. I have a ridiculous number of shoes too worn for running, but still totally useable for everyday!

Current shoe line-up:
Brooks Launch - two pairs of 6s in use, and a pair of 7s in a box
Brooks Glycerin - two pairs of 16s in use but very close to retirement and 1 pair in a box, 1 pair of 17s I've been trying to use for long runs but are proving to be painful, and 1 pair of 17s in a box
New Balance Beacon - the OG Beacon in use, and Beacon 2 just purchased and on its way to me
Saucony Kinvara - 9 in use, 11 ordered and on its way

ATTQOTD: Depends on the shoe. Traditionally, I get about:

Saucony Kinvara - 100-150 miles
Saucony Ride - 300-350 miles
Saucony Triumph - 500 miles

Each would serve their own purpose. I got a pair of Nike Next% last year. Despite the initial cash drop, they've actually held up quite well. I'd say the first 100 miles or so were a premium experience. After that, I'd say they moved to a still very good shoe. I've gotten over 800 miles in my single Next% pair. There's some wear on the bottom, but overall the shoe is in great condition and still holding up well for all pace types. I can still take them down in to the 4:15 range and they are tolerable for easy days in the 9:00 range. I've got a second pair that I've been waiting to break out and will probably start doing that soon given a hopeful upcoming time trial. So from a cost per mile basis, the Next% are far and away better than my old racing shoe (Kinvara).

Got my Beat the Blerch virtual race kit today. Very cool and fun. I particularly like the junk food gummies (well, the idea of them), and also the medal has two little arms that are holding pizza and cake and they both move towards the mouth. Oh The Oatmeal, you are so wise.

I'm not a virtual race person, but I have to say this put a smile on my face (after a rather sludgy run this a.m) and the proceeds go to charity. It was worth every penny of the $50

blerch3.jpgblerch2.jpgblerch.jpg

Last edited:
ATTQOTD Was in Mizuno wave sky 2 now have one pair left and a pair of the new waveknit 3. A little heavy and probably why I am not getting much faster but the only thing I feel good in after a long struggle to find a shoe I liked. Really enjoy that cushioned feel.
I only use them for running and track every mile,
they work for me right out of the box for 400 miles
- up to 300 for races (marathons preferably around 200)
- up to 350 for long training runs
- 350 to 400 on short runs only
- try to cycle in a new pair at 200 miles and have 3 at any given time

ATTQOTD: I started to use Garmin to track the miles I put on my shoes, and I think Garmin defaulted to 400 miles as the "time limit", so I have followed that. I'm not sure I've really felt a need for new shoes before that, and I'm not sure that I feel like I can tell a difference in new shoes in terms of cushioning or spring.

Currently, I'm wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20 in 8.5W. I had worn Ghosts for several years, but thought maybe I needed the stability of the Andrenalines. Shrug. These shoes are pretty much done, so I think I'll be trying the latest Glycerine next - I thought I'd try to transition to a smaller heel drop.

For the moment, I will stick with Brooks because I have some idea of the size I like, and I would prefer not to go to a store to run on a treadmill and test different shoes at the moment.

ATTQOTD: I used to get ~220 miles/pair from Brooks Glycerin, but I’m now getting ~300 miles/pair from Brooks Ghost. I track mileage using Garmin Connect, but the final verdict on a pair is given by my knees and ankles. As I get to the end of a pair’s lifespan I’ll start to feel aches and pains creeping into those joints. That’s my signal to bring the next pair out of the closet.

ATTQOTD: I generally get somewhere between 300-400 miles form a pair of shoes. Once a shoe hits 300 I start paying attention to how they feel and how they look. I also have a rotation of shoes. Right now I have three shoes I rotate from and in the past have had as many as 5 shoes I would rotate through.

ATTQOTD: Depends on the shoe. I've gotten as little as 250 (Brooks Levitate 2) and as much as 430 (New Balance 880v6). I usually decide to retire them based on a combination of mileage and how they make my knees feel (if my knees hurt during the run but not after, then the shoes are close to or at end of life).
Right now I'm in the New Balance Zante Pursuit (which I'll probably get 300-350 out of based on how I did in older models in that line) and the Nike Pegasus 36 (no idea how much I'll get out of that one since I've never worn Nikes before). I'm between 200 and 250 in all of my current shoes, will probably start shopping for a replacement for the Nikes soon and then a replacement for the New Balance after that.

ATTQOTD: For the past few years, I've pretty much sworn by Adidas Energy/Solar Boosts for everyday training runs (have used Tempo Boosts or Zoom Flys for tempo/races lately). I'm usually able to get about 500-550 miles out of a pair (right now I'm on a pair that has 405). I had a pair earlier this year I got 630 miles out of. The midsoles were still perfectly good but the outsoles were pretty much worn out then. I'm pretty sure they've discontinued the shoe now since they haven't released a new version this year but I have six pairs on standby ready to go.

Last edited:
The following answers are exactly what I was going to write. I run in ASICS Nimbus.
- up to 300 for races (marathons preferably around 200)
- up to 350 for long training runs
- 350 to 400 on short runs only
- try to cycle in a new pair at 200 miles and have 3 at any given time
ATTQOTD: I generally get somewhere between 300-400 miles form a pair of shoes. Once a shoe hits 300 I start paying attention to how they feel and how they look. I also have a rotation of shoes. Right now I have three shoes I rotate from and in the past have had as many as 5 shoes I would rotate through.

ATTQOTD: As with others, my mileage depends on the shoe. Most shoes last in the 300-400 mileage range with the heavier, more cushioned shoes usual at 400 miles. Here is my current line-up:

Saucony Triumph 18: heavier, high mileage shoe for longer runs - 400 mile max
New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 v10: my "everyday" running shoe (lighter than the Sauconys, but very similar cushioning) - 400 mile max
Brooks Hyperion Tempo: tempo, speed work, or shorter races - my first time using these, but I expect only about 200-250 miles given the light weight and medium cushioning

Hello all, I have been MIA for a few months. It was a busy summer. Bought a new house and moved. Then I had to sell the old house. Throw a vacation in the mix and last week my dad passed away unexpectedly.

My running and biking stayed consistent until about a month ago when I started having knee and ankle pain in my right leg again. I’m pretty sure the knee is IT Band based on the symptoms. The ankle is just the same issue I dealt with all last year. It all comes down to me being tight. I have started a stretching routine, hoping that helps.

I am looking for a new treadmill. The roads around the new house are very narrow and I don’t feel that safe running in the dark or once snow comes. Anyone have a treadmill they LOVE? I am looking at the Nordictrack 2450 but all the reviews I look at says their customer service is terrible if there is an issue.

I am thinking of signing up for the virtual marathon weekend race to get my motivation back. I am hoping to become more consistent on here again now that life may finally be settling down a bit.

I hope everyone has been doing well.

@flav I loved Nimbus as well, but the 19s were awful and I heard 20 and 21 were worse. But maybe 22 is better? I'm using Glycerins now, which are ok, but I prefer to go back to Nimbus. Glycerins seems to only give support until 150-200 miles but with Nimbus I could easily put over 500. Are you using the 22's? How do they feel? I like a wide toe box.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter