• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

Thank you all!! I was having a downer night and feeling frustrated--mostly from the disappointment about the shirt I wanted from Raw Threads and realized I couldn't get in a size that would work for me. I ended up ordering a sports bra and a pair of capris from Lane Bryant that night since they have a sale on and I was a bit desperate, so I'll see whether those fit alright as I'm figuring out next steps. Might have to snag something from Skirt Sports with their sale going, though! Also, Fabletics absolutely does have purple leggings (yay!) though the membership thing makes me nervous. Reminds me of those old CD subscription clubs where you'd inevitably get charged for stuff because you forgot to send a skip notice.

Bonus if I can get things made for tall folk. A lot of skirts end up shorter on me than intended because I'm big in that direction as well. Tall, big-boned, and fat--makes a difficult combo for clothes shopping (I am not fishing for reassurances here--I'm okay with the fact that I'm fat. It's just frustrating to navigate certain things as a result).

I like Fabletics clothes but there were two times that I forgot to cancel for the month and got charged :( That was on me though and it only twice in about a three year period. You just have to make sure you remember and the canceling thing is pretty easy on their site. There was once I got charged when I had definitely cancelled. I emailed them about it and they reversed the charge pretty quickly.

Fabletics is notorious for pushing you into the membership to get the discount pricing and making it difficult to get out. The parent company/startup fund settled at least one lawsuit regarding deceptive practices. TechStyle (as they are now called) is the same group behind Rihanna's Savage x Fenty brand--also facing the same charges. You may still want to buy their product, just be aware of their sales practices.
I like Fabletics clothes but there were two times that I forgot to cancel for the month and got charged :( That was on me though and it only twice in about a three year period. You just have to make sure you remember and the canceling thing is pretty easy on their site. There was once I got charged when I had definitely cancelled. I emailed them about it and they reversed the charge pretty quickly.
I may look at buying full cost from them without a subscription if it turns out they have something I really want and can't get at one of the other sites recommended to me. I've been burned on subscriptions before and I've been telling myself I won't get hooked into another one and have to go through the stress of jumping through hoops to get back out. :/

Is Torrid my only option? And can anyone speak to the quality of their athletic gear? I've piggybacked onto one or two of my housemate's orders to get t-shirts from them and haven't always been super impressed by the fit and fabric quality, but they do have some fun fandom stuff.

I'm a big fan of Torrid -- I love their capris/leggings (not necessarily the tops, those can be hit or miss). They can get expensive, but I've found that they're often good quality. My leggings have held up for YEARS whereas other pants tend to lose the chub rub fight rather quickly. My sister has a fabulous pair of leggings that has some of the Disney villains all over them, which never fail to get compliments during races.

In a bit of a funk lately workout-wise, but with a few races on the horizon, I'll hopefully be able to push through it. The biggest thing has been getting back into swimming, which I haven't done regularly since high school. Now, just to get my lung capacity back up...

I haven't posted here a while because have been too busy. Been spending far more time at work this month and so haven't had as much time to run, and as a result my monthly mileage has dipped below 100 km for the first time since last March (that was 12 months straight of 100+ km months). I'm a bit sad about this.

At any rate, monthly totals for February:
40.4 km, or 25.25 miles
Average pace of 7:30/km, or 12 minute miles, which is quite a bit slower than previous months (I attribute this to being too tired...)

Hopefully can run a bit more in March. I'm also signed up for a race end March, but right now I'm not sure if it is going to go ahead thanks to coronavirus (other races have already been postponed to later dates).

I think I might have to give up on my idea of doing a marathon in May though, since I don't think I'll have enough time to train...

February Total:

90 miles - family trip at beginning of month kept me from triple digits :confused3
Average pace: 12:48

Other news:
- ran a 10k this morning for POT. My 2nd fastest but I was hoping for a PR. I came in 60 seconds to slow.
- I’ve lost a total of 14 lbs
- I did not miss any training runs (plan accounted for short family trip)

I may be taking March a little easier at least as far as pacing goes. My body is telling me to chill for a bit. I don’t have any more races lined up until November.

Here are some pics of our nit impromptu dis meet. @OldSlowGoofyGuy came down on Friday. Bert and I had an eventful day. I managed to have dinner with David, but bert did not. After dinner we went back to visit with Mallory. She loved having two new people over to pet her.

saturday David and I were meeting at 7:30 to do my 8 mile training run. Thanks for the company. I will say the city was buzzing. We did run to where the excitement was and took some pics.

well dang it this is upside down.

4DE39500-8826-4923-A1B4-AFC7736973A1.jpeg

of course the sideways one.

89485A77-B832-4C7C-AD0A-0A87D95681EC.jpeg

but here is a good one if the sign.

5B0D9816-7F4D-439F-8DBF-F055428538A8.jpeg

after our run we went to my favorite spot for breakfast, Joy Cafe. came home for about an hour and took care of Mallory to bring her out for the race.
EFFFD96D-6898-445C-8564-4E52F8304343.jpeg

she had a blast, lots of pets.

David’s pic of runners is better than mine, so I won’t post. It was so much fun cheering runners on.

total fun. I am exhausted and I have 14 mile run tomorrow. I am thankful I did not go for the half race tomorrow. i am not sure I can get up early.

February 2020 totals
Distance 124.1km (77mi)
Average pace 6m15s/km (10’04’’/mi)

That is the right volume at this point: week 1 to 4 on a 16 weeks plan... Which is impressive considering that it is full winter here. It is clear from the average pace that there is a speed aspect to my goals this year compare to last. Very satisfied with myself. Now, if I could stop wanting to eat the frig and the pantry as a result, that would be great.

February Numbers:
Total Miles (Run/Walk) - 49.62
Time - 11 hours, 9 minutes

Year To Date:
Total Miles (Run/Walk) - 86.82
Time - 19 hours, 54 minutes

Hands down, the highlight of the month was finishing my first half marathon at WDW during Princess Half Weekend. Running down Main Street and through the castle was everything I had dreamed it would be, I met characters I would have never thought I'd ever see in my life, and I actually ran throughout all 13 miles (as opposed to walking the last 4-5 miles like I half expected to)! I'm already counting down the seconds until the Star Wars half!

Race Recap: Brazen Victory 5k

So, 10k two weeks ago, Princess Half last weekend...what's another 5k between friends?

The only reason I was running this was because my wife was running the 10k. Brazen does a 'mega-medal' for this and the Bay Breeze race two weeks ago, the 'Breeze To Victory' combo. We've never done this particular race before. Younger son decided to come along for this one as well, doing the 5k.

Got up around 6:15 because it's almost an hour drive to the race. Out the door about 6:40, got in early enough to see the half marathon launch at 8.

8:15, the 10k launched, then they reversed the starting setup for the 5k. They needed to add a bit to the course to get it up to 5k length, so instead of launching straight down the course, we went 'backwards' for about a tenth of a mile, then turned around and came back.

The Victory races start at a former Ford factory and shipyard, where jeeps and Victory ships were built for the WWII war effort. Then they go along the waterfront, looping back as appropriate for length. The course, at least for the 5k and 10k, is concrete sidewalks, wooden docks/boardwalks, and asphalt walking paths, and is pretty close to completely flat. (Strava says 29' of elevation change for my wife's 10k.)

I don't think I like this course as much as the Bay Breeze course. (Parking is a lot better, though.) The concrete seemed to radiate heat, the boardwalk areas didn't feel like particularly stable footing, and there was...well, less of a bay breeze. Still, it's not a bad course, just not quite as good.

The plan for the race was to run it at 2m/30s intervals, skipping the first walk interval. I was struggling early on, and by 3 minutes in I was looking at my watch waiting for the 4:30 mark when I could walk. I kept going, though, and settled into my intervals without a problem.

After the first mile, I felt I was dragging a bit, but kept going. Somewhere around the halfway point, though, I felt my pace picking up as I loosened up. The third mile turned out to be the fastest of the three, in the end. Final time, 38:56, a 12:34 pace.

Splits:
1. 12:37
2. 13:01
3. 12:33

My son came in just under 45 minutes, doing quite well for him; wife didn't have the race she wanted and came in at 1:34:31.

We picked up the combo medals:

BreezeToVictory.jpg

...and headed home.

February:
17.7 miles
6:40 hours/minutes

I took about three weeks (mostly) off recovering from my first full at MW in the record heat. Wasn't planning that much but got sick at the same time. It's not quite time yet to start training for my 10K in April, so I've just been running when I feel like it, doing my regular training at the gym and jumping on the Peloton now and then. It's been a nice break, but training for the 10K starts Monday!

February Totals:

Running: 100.9 miles
Average Pace: 9:42
Total Elevation Gain: 8,580 ft
Steps: 455,546

Capped off by 8.5 this morning with @garneska. Atlanta really lived up to the nickname given to it by the track club: Running City, USA. We saw 300-400 runners this morning out celebrating the marathon trials by going for a run.

This is my first month over 100 since November. Thankfully, it's a leap year or I wouldn't have made it.

I'll save everyone the neck strain. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter