The Running Thread - 2021

Fleet feet just bought out our local chain running store (jackrabbit/running fit) and I got an email this morning saying that I have $20 in rewards that I need to use in the next 7 days (but then in the email it says Jan 17th.)

Anyone have a suggestion (besides socks and fuel since I just got both of those things last week) that would be $20-ish?

Fleet feet just bought out our local chain running store (jackrabbit/running fit) and I got an email this morning saying that I have $20 in rewards that I need to use in the next 7 days (but then in the email it says Jan 17th.)

Anyone have a suggestion (besides socks and fuel since I just got both of those things last week) that would be $20-ish?
Socks are the obvious, but perhaps gloves, hat, or foam roller / ball?

Handheld water bottle??
Goodr or Tifosi Sunglasses?? (They used to be around $25)
Body Glide or 2Toms/favorite anti-chafe supply?
Hat, Headband, Buff??
Running Lights or reflective vest??
Gloves??

All of these may be a little over 20

Socks are the obvious, but perhaps gloves, hat, or foam roller / ball?
I have all of these things. 😂😂😂

Handheld water bottle??
Goodr or Tifosi Sunglasses?? (They used to be around $25)
Body Glide or 2Toms/favorite anti-chafe supply?
Hat, Headband, Buff??
Running Lights or reflective vest??
Gloves??

All of these may be a little over 20
I have all of these things except for a handheld bottle. And that’s popped on to my radar in the last week as I’m panicking about carrying all my stuff for the full and thinking about electrolytes.

Or another pair of goodrs since the ones I got in October disappeared last month. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have all of these things except for a handheld bottle. And that’s popped on to my radar in the last week as I’m panicking about carrying all my stuff for the full and thinking about electrolytes.

Or another pair of goodrs since the ones I got in October disappeared last month. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I like my handheld for runs that are about an hour or less. Anything longer than that, I really do not like carrying stuff in my hands.

If you think you might want to go with a hand-held bottle, I’d advise getting it and running with it as soon as possible. I tried to go with a hand-held bottle a while back and found it made me feel unbalanced while running. Definitely a no-go for me and something you’d definitely want to know before heading out for 26.2 with it.

Geez. Another turnover for Running Fit. I didn't shop there, but used to help out when they had the race series (which Randy kept). Reminds me, I should really see what RF Events is up to these days.

As for suggestions, not many. I expect you have running spikes (and they are more like $50), but they may have good lip balms, hand creams to help with cold weather relief? or sunscreen?

Running belt?

I have a long run (12 miles— will take me about 3 hours) tomorrow and it is going to rain the entire day. I have been lucky enough to have not really had to run in the rain in a long time. It should be between 40 and 50 degrees. Any tips? I have a rain jacket (ultralight Frogg Toggs) from backpacking but it does not have pit zips and I get so hot when running.

I have a long run (12 miles— will take me about 3 hours) tomorrow and it is going to rain the entire day. I have been lucky enough to have not really had to run in the rain in a long time. It should be between 40 and 50 degrees. Any tips? I have a rain jacket (ultralight Frogg Toggs) from backpacking but it does not have pit zips and I get so hot when running.

Wear a hat or visor to help keep the rain out of your eyes. Other than that, my recommendation is to embrace the wet. Most running rain jackets are water resistant, not waterproof, and will eventually soak through, defeating the purpose. Even if it’s waterproof, chances are it won’t breathe well enough and you‘ll get just as wet from overheating and sweating. I actually like doing training runs in the rain periodically, as they allow you to try things out and find out what works for you in the rain. You never know what race day weather will be like and when you’ll need that knowledge.

Wear a hat or visor to help keep the rain out of your eyes. Other than that, my recommendation is to embrace the wet. Most running rain jackets are water resistant, not waterproof, and will eventually soak through, defeating the purpose. Even if it’s waterproof, chances are it won’t breathe well enough and you‘ll get just as wet from overheating and sweating. I actually like doing training runs in the rain periodically, as they allow you to try things out and find out what works for you in the rain. You never know what race day weather will be like and when you’ll need that knowledge.
I was given a neoprene jacket a few years back and had no idea when I'd actually wear it. Then I realized that it is perfect for running in the rain or cooler weather. It helps keep me warm, but it breathes, even when wet.

I agree with a hat or visor, it makes a difference not having rain directly on your face/in your eyes/on your glasses. I'd also recommend picking clothes you know 100% won't chafe anywhere, but also adding anti-chafe cream/gel etc. to spots that don't normally chafe but have before on your longest runs (for me it's the bra strap and toes that only bother me on my longest training runs or rainy runs).
I'm hit or miss with a jacket, sometimes I like a jacket with a short-sleeve so I can take it off once I warm up, and sometimes I prefer a long-sleeve shirt to keep arms warmer one they're wet.

To paraphrase @camaker, Embrace the Suck. It may well be no fun at all, but who says every run should be idyllic? I know that's easy for me to say as my 3 hour run today will be cloudy and 35 degrees with no rain. So try to stay sharp mentally even when/if you are cold and wet.

When you train on days where the conditions are not great you are training yourself mentally. I was listening to a discussion about training for ultras on a podcast and one of the suggestions was to avoid skipping training runs just because the weather is bad. If you only train on nice days and then the race is 30 degree sideways rain you won't be prepared mentally or physically for it.

Hey friends - blisters? Any thoughts about how to prevent them? I consistently get one on my left baby toe and my friend Jenna has been getting one in the same spot plus some others.

In keeping with the theme of bad weather running, today’s 16 mile run featured moderate to heavy rain with 7-10 mph winds gusting significantly higher. Starting temperature was 49 degrees, which fell to 43-44 degrees by the end of the run. I was drenched and cold by the end, but it got done.

The biggest challenge was figuring out how to deal with the temperature drop. Normally, you want to be a little cool at the start of the run, knowing you’ll heat up as the run goes on. Today I knew that despite my body warming up as the run went on, the dropping temps and chill from the wind and soaking rain would make it too cold as I got deeper into the run. In this case, I had to start overdressed and slightly overheating, knowing that the conditions would eventually normalize things. That strategy seemed to work well.

Hey friends - blisters? Any thoughts about how to prevent them? I consistently get one on my left baby toe and my friend Jenna has been getting one in the same spot plus some others.
Body Glide prevented blistering on my baby toe during my WDW trip—the same baby toe that blistered in the same shoes on my DL trip in September (before I had Body Glide)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter