The Running Thread -- 2022

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I don't want to sound like I'm second-guessing the doctor, but how sports and running-focused is he? I've found that doctors who don't run themselves or specialize in sports medicine can take an overly conservative view of things. Would it be worth getting a second opinion from a sports-focused or friendly cardiologist? There may even be techniques for running safely with a-fib that he doesn't know about. It might be worth it so you're not giving up something you love based on a single doctor's opinion.
I’m definitely going to be looking into one. Thanks for the encouragement!

Had my second Dr appointment today regarding my A-Fib situation, and well FML. Based on conversations today, I will have to worry about this for the rest of my life but the bigger issue is at no point does he think running for more than hour should ever happen again. So all race distance from 10 miler and up are off the table per that discussion. I know I should exercise for health's sake, but being told I can't do the distance running that I like really kills the drive to run at all.... In fact he said my previous marathon running could have contributed to the A-Fib situation in the first place. I know there's worse things that are out there and people have bigger problems than me being told no long distance running, but that news hurts.

Very sorry to hear this. It's very much a loss to deal with--it's something that is important to you, and is an integral part of your life. I hope that whatever additional medical advice you find allows you to come to some accommodation that will work for you.

(And I forgot how speedy you are--10 miles/hour!)

Had my second Dr appointment today regarding my A-Fib situation, and well FML. Based on conversations today, I will have to worry about this for the rest of my life but the bigger issue is at no point does he think running for more than hour should ever happen again. So all race distance from 10 miler and up are off the table per that discussion. I know I should exercise for health's sake, but being told I can't do the distance running that I like really kills the drive to run at all.... In fact he said my previous marathon running could have contributed to the A-Fib situation in the first place. I know there's worse things that are out there and people have bigger problems than me being told no long distance running, but that news hurts.

I'm sorry to hear this and I know it is something very hard to hear if you enjoy distance running. To echo @camaker I would go get another opinion and seek out a more holistic/functional medicine doctor. I am not a doctor and have no medical training what so ever but as someone that runs and is interested in health I've listened to a lot of doctors talk about heart and joint issues. Just like you will have plenty of doctors that tell you running is bad for your knees and you should stop you'll have some say the same about your heart. In both cases there is a subset of conditions that is true for but conventional medicine likes to throw out blanked statements that are not necessarily right in all circumstances.

I hope you do get a second opinion that is more favorable but if you don't you may not have to give up distance events, you may just have to switch to a run walk method. Look at Jeff Galloway. He survived a widow-maker heart attack and is still doing events using the method. Good luck.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I don't want to sound like I'm second-guessing the doctor, but how sports and running-focused is he? I've found that doctors who don't run themselves or specialize in sports medicine can take an overly conservative view of things. Would it be worth getting a second opinion from a sports-focused or friendly cardiologist? There may even be techniques for running safely with a-fib that he doesn't know about. It might be worth it so you're not giving up something you love based on a single doctor's opinion.
Yes, get a second opinion. As I’ve posted earlier, DH had both atrial flutter and Afib and two heart ablations, and we ran Goofy together at MW using 30/30 run/walk. A slower pace is his new normal, but age had already begun that journey. He’s still perfectly Goofy. He never missed one when he had Afib and had to walk the last 9 miles and now after Afib. Obviously, your prognosis may be totally different. But a second opinion can’t hurt.

@LSUlakes I second, third, fourth, fifth… Not sure how many ppl have already said this, but I think getting a second opinion may provide some really good options. I have a good friend, who is a doctor and he constantly tells me that running is bad for me, but my doctor (who is a runner) believes the are true benefits, long term, from running. I trust her opinion more!

So sorry you have this new challenge to deal with. Really good to see you on the threads though! I still remember when you ran the running thread!

@MouseJen
Welcome! Nothing I can really add that has not been shared already. But glad you joined and good luck with what ever you decide!

I’m definitely going to be looking into one. Thanks for the encouragement!
Is ablation an option for you? My oldest son had afib in his late teens and ablation totally resolved his problem. He is now 25 and is free to exercise in any way that he wishes.

February total
Running 100.4 miles
avg pace 9’23”/mile

Walking/hiking
101.4 miles

Had a good 10K for Princess weekend, didn’t get the PR I was hoping for but averaged under 8/mile so I’m happy being post Dopey and over winter training.
Needed to go an extra couple miles today to hit my 100/month goal but managed to do it.

February total = 48 miles

The month didn't go as planned - my treadmill broke and took almost 3 weeks to fix so I didn't get in my normal before work runs. I did all elliptical instead of rotating days like normal. Boy, did I miss the variety!

But I ended up with a 10k PR (9:01 pace) one weekend and a 5k PR (8:46 pace) the next. So Yey!

I'm looking forward to March with hopefully nicer weather and a few longer (10+ miles) weekend runs.

52.76 miles for February. Missed out on a handful of weekend runs because high school baseball season starting up.

Did finally finally got below a 7 minute mile, 6:57. Also set my PR for a 5k at 23:32. I will say having a running watch has been so helpful. Instead of cruising along, like used to do pre running watch, I feel like I challenge myself at some point in each run with the metrics the watch provides.

Last edited:
February recap: I stuck to a plan of running every other day, nothing longer than 3-5 miles or so, except for this past Sunday I did 6. My plan for March is to start running 4x/week. I found a Novice Higdon Half plan that I thitnk I am going to use that supports that amount of running, and the overall mileage is not high. The key is now to not drop the strength training (or even cross training). The other key is to silence the voice that says "you know, you can do/have done more than this"

On a related note, my DH just bought himself a new trainer (Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer), so I am going to get the old basic one. That's nice, so I can have a dedicated setup. Not that I expect to use it more than once/week, but still.

February Training Summary
Running Miles: 167.12
Running Time: 28:08:40
Average Pace: 10:10/mi
Average HR: 142/min

Extras:
Walking Miles: 96.30
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,985.94

It's hard to believe that a month can be both as consistent and as much of a roller coaster as February was. I hit all my scheduled runs and all but one walk for February and am right at the peak of training for my end of March race. 5 days/week running and 7 days/week walking has been the definition of consistency. Here's hoping that adding the walking to the training plan gets me over the top for my race.

What has been a roller coaster, though, has been the weather! Lots of runs in the rain and temperatures have been all over the map. Tracking as temperature + dew point (T+D), it wasn't unusual to see T+Ds in the 120s for a couple of days, then have them in the 50s for the weekend a couple of days later, only to be back in the 130s to start the following week. It's hard to settle on an acclimation in those conditions!

Next month is a continuation of my peak training followed by a taper to Blackbeard's Revenge at the end of the month. It's scheduled to be my highest running volume month ever. Fingers crossed, we'll see what happens!

February Miles = 108

I seem to always struggle to hit 100 miles in February - short month, bad weather, no races, usually still a bit hungover from Dopey, etc. But I was able to get there again this month to keep my 100 miles per month streak going. I hit a milestone at 48 consecutive months (that's 4 years, folks!!).

January Miles = 139

2022 total miles = 247

Feb miles: 28 miles

I would be so unhappy with that normally but i am quite happy that i am running. Hanging with @jmasgat running every other day. Not sure i will be up to back to back runs this month though. I have also been hiking but March is not such a great month for hiking. I am on call at work for 2 weeks, so urban hiking it is. Then one week i will be back in Ohio.

When I see PT next week though i am going to see if i can run a half in June. i need a proof of time for WDW marathon.

Yes. I actually know someone with a-fib, recently diagnosed, who was not told this by her cardiologist. She is working back into running after needing a break to figure some meds out and is having to monitor as she gets back into her routine. But was not given an arbitrary cut-off.

I'm sorry to hear this and I know it is something very hard to hear if you enjoy distance running. To echo @camaker I would go get another opinion and seek out a more holistic/functional medicine doctor. I am not a doctor and have no medical training what so ever but as someone that runs and is interested in health I've listened to a lot of doctors talk about heart and joint issues. Just like you will have plenty of doctors that tell you running is bad for your knees and you should stop you'll have some say the same about your heart. In both cases there is a subset of conditions that is true for but conventional medicine likes to throw out blanked statements that are not necessarily right in all circumstances.

While I agree with the sentiment here, please go see a cardiologist, a real doctor with real medical training. I am sure you are aware, as you are currently living this, but a-fib can have very real medical consequences if not managed appropriately, and holistic treatments are not the path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter