The Running Thread -- 2022

I have an appointment with my GP next week. I might ask to get my bloodwork checked.

I'm also going to consult a nutritionist next week to see if I can adapt my eating. My iron levels have always been notoriously low (no one in my family can ever give blood because of that!) so maybe something there as well?

Vitamin D deficiency can also result in fatigue, although that might be more of a possibility for older folks.

I have an appointment with my GP next week. I might ask to get my bloodwork checked.

I'm also going to consult a nutritionist next week to see if I can adapt my eating. My iron levels have always been notoriously low (no one in my family can ever give blood because of that!) so maybe something there as well?
Yeah, if you're going next week I would just get it done so it can be ruled in or out as a factor in everything that's going on. I know that a couple of weeks after I started taking my supplement I noticed a definite change in how I was feeling (and not falling asleep on the couch midday a few times a week.)

Pro tip - if you’re going to try a new app for tracking your run, check the settings before you hit go.
Because I’m in Canada I guess Apple defaults to km, and I only realized that after I had started running. So I spent the first km of my run trying to figure out what 2.5mi were in km. It’s 4.02km if you were wondering. My running math got me to 4.03, so I wasn’t too far off.

Now I just need to convert my pace into something that makes sense to me….

Thank you all for your kind words. I admit it's been a rough week. I'm ok during the day since I'm so busy, but at night it's been tough since I used to have lots of cuddle time with my furbaby when the kids went to bed. I'm probably averaging 3.5-5 hours of sleep a night now.

Anyways, bringing it back to running: my long run was also difficult because my toes hurt so bad. I was using Nimbus 24 and noticed that it was tighter than the Nimbus 23 but prayed it would be ok on my long run. Unfortunately I had to stop in the middle because I thought my toes got stuck in a hole in my sock and getting constricted. I was limping the last mile because of the pain and then had to deal with peroneal tendonitis since I was changing my gait to try to compensate. Nimbus used to be my go-to shoe but it's been very inconsistent the past few years. I really like the Brooks Glycerin, but can only get 300-350 miles out of them.

Does anyone have recommendations for a cushioned shoe with wide toe box similar to Brooks Glycerin or old school Asics Nimbus?

Does anyone have recommendations for a cushioned shoe with wide toe box similar to Brooks Glycerin or old school Asics Nimbus?

These are both neutral-to-slight-stability shoes, so if they generally feel good I'd recommend the Topo Ultrayfly 3/4 if you can find them locally. The Ultrafly is also a moderately cushioned, slight stability shoe, but it has a much wider toebox. If you need more cushioning than that, Altra is the wide toe box shoe - the Provision and Paradigm are their two stability shoes, but both have quite a bit of cushioning (maybe too much depending on what you like), and the fits can be very weird. Saucony also makes good daily shoes and their toe boxes have been getting wider - the Guide is their good cushioned stability shoe.

Good luck! As my local running store says, finding the right shoe is a journey.

These are both neutral-to-slight-stability shoes, so if they generally feel good I'd recommend the Topo Ultrayfly 3/4 if you can find them locally. The Ultrafly is also a moderately cushioned, slight stability shoe, but it has a much wider toebox. If you need more cushioning than that, Altra is the wide toe box shoe - the Provision and Paradigm are their two stability shoes, but both have quite a bit of cushioning (maybe too much depending on what you like), and the fits can be very weird. Saucony also makes good daily shoes and their toe boxes have been getting wider - the Guide is their good cushioned stability shoe.

Good luck! As my local running store says, finding the right shoe is a journey.
WOW you know a lot about running shoes!
Just a word about Topos: I bought a pair after trying them in the running store. I don't remember exactly which version of Topo but yes, the toe box is very roomy. They felt like walking on clouds in the store and when I jogged up & down the block. But within a few dozen miles of using them, running on the street, they felt completely flat to me. You might have a different experience but they were showroom shoes to me that didn't live up to how they felt on first wear.

WOW you know a lot about running shoes!
Just a word about Topos: I bought a pair after trying them in the running store. I don't remember exactly which version of Topo but yes, the toe box is very roomy. They felt like walking on clouds in the store and when I jogged up & down the block. But within a few dozen miles of using them, running on the street, they felt completely flat to me. You might have a different experience but they were showroom shoes to me that didn't live up to how they felt on first wear.

Half of the reason I run is to justify all the money I spend on running gear!

Bummer about the Topos! That's why it's important to try everything and don't only rely on what you may see and hear about a shoe, because it's so personal. I absolutely love the Ultrafly 3 - not too much cushion, a little stability, light, very roomy toe box - but I can also totally see why that wouldn't work for most people. There's not a lot to love outside of the wide toe box, and many of the attributes are easily found on other shoes, sometimes even better. It's light but not that light. It has some stability but not that much. It's cushioned but not significantly so. But it does have a very nice breathable mesh upper. Topo strikes me as a premier trail running brand trying to break into the road running market, with mixed results.

QOTD: how do you overcome a crisis of confidence in your running ability?
So I hit a very serious running confidence of crisis in November 2018 less than 2 months from marathon number 1 and Dopey number 1. It was brutal. In the worst moments, I was actually contemplating canceling the trip altogether at worst or eating the very expensive costs of the race at best.

First thing that helped me was to come here and be honest about what I was dealing with. This forum is where I talk running roughly 90% of the time. Allowing myself to be honest about how I felt actually helped. Instead of spending way too much time letting my fears ping pong around in my head, I got them out. Just doing that helped some. Second thing that helped was consulting with @DopeyBadger. After a difficult long run followed up by 2 brutal shorter runs, I was a wreck. Billy told me to take the rest of the week off and then slow my pace down the next week as needed. Doing that, combined with real encouragement from other runners here sharing their own versions of been there, done that, and finished anyways helped a great deal. When the next week came, I resumed running and was back in my groove. And though I didn't know it at the time, marathon number 1 has now turned into marathon number 4.

I'm not saying that all crises of running confidence resolve quickly. Some may not.
Vulnerability moment: I'm also guilty of being too proud. Strava gives me the feeling of having to prove myself since I know other ppl will see what I did. I have to stick to my end-game goal, which is to successfully run my first marathon. Nothing else. Especially not impressing other runners on Strava.
I think this is something we can all struggle with, especially for anyone who classifies themselves as a slower runner. I try to remember that I'm not competing against anyone else. As a slower runner, I have to accept that I may never be confident enough to ride Everest during the marathon or I cannot meet every character, so I have to pick and choose the ones who matter more. But still competitiveness can get the best of us. I sometimes have to repeatedly remind myself that no matter how tired I may feel, I almost always feel better after a run. In a sense, I compete against my lazy self.
I understand that but you have to figure out how to let that go. That is one of the big drivers of people over training. I was/am the same but I really had to tell myself it is not each individual run it is the race. I can absolutely commiserate.
Well said.
I have no friends on Strava. How do you all make friends on Strava?

(how do you make friends?)
My Strava is linked to my Facebook so most of my Strava friends I either know from Facebook or from here. It has been a nice way to discover what some of my in real life friends do in their efforts to exercise. I also like Strava because it gives me a real way to share my run data with Billy if he ever needs to review anything.

So I hit a very serious running confidence of crisis in November 2018 less than 2 months from marathon number 1 and Dopey number 1. It was brutal. In the worst moments, I was actually contemplating canceling the trip altogether at worst or eating the very expensive costs of the race at best.

First thing that helped me was to come here and be honest about what I was dealing with. This forum is where I talk running roughly 90% of the time. Allowing myself to be honest about how I felt actually helped. Instead of spending way too much time letting my fears ping pong around in my head, I got them out. Just doing that helped some. Second thing that helped was consulting with @DopeyBadger. After a difficult long run followed up by 2 brutal shorter runs, I was a wreck. Billy told me to take the rest of the week off and then slow my pace down the next week as needed. Doing that, combined with real encouragement from other runners here sharing their own versions of been there, done that, and finished anyways helped a great deal. When the next week came, I resumed running and was back in my groove. And though I didn't know it at the time, marathon number 1 has now turned into marathon number 4.

I'm not saying that all crises of running confidence resolve quickly. Some may not.
Talking about it here actually really did help me get over it, as well as reminding myself about the specifics of my upcoming challenge race weekend, which were not as daunting as my exhausted/frustrated brain was making them out to be. I’ve got a new training plan, complete with pacing limits (since, as it turns out, I was basically running tempo all the time) and it’s worked well for the first week. We’ll see how next week goes when summer weather returns to the upper Midwest with a vengeance.

Talking about it here actually really did help me get over it, as well as reminding myself about the specifics of my upcoming challenge race weekend, which were not as daunting as my exhausted/frustrated brain was making them out to be. I’ve got a new training plan, complete with pacing limits (since, as it turns out, I was basically running tempo all the time) and it’s worked well for the first week. We’ll see how next week goes when summer weather returns to the upper Midwest with a vengeance.
So glad to hear that. I sometimes think that we need to learn how to get out of our own heads if we are beating ourselves up too much over how training is or is not going. We may not be where we want to be yet, but that does not necessarily mean that we are as bad as we may think we are.

I sometimes think that we need to learn how to get out of our own heads if we are beating ourselves up too much over how training is or is not going. We may not be where we want to be yet, but that does not necessarily mean that we are as bad as we may think we are.

I think runners are some of the best overthinkers out there. Now I can't say whether overthinkers are drawn to running or running (and the large amount of time to think) lends itself to overthinking - or maybe it's a little bit of both.

And I am a proud member of Overthinkers Anonymous!

as well as reminding myself about the specifics of my upcoming challenge race weekend, which were not as daunting as my exhausted/frustrated brain was making them out to be.
I’m currently reading Do Hard Things by Steve Magness, and he says: “When we flip into a threat state, a freeze reaction, or a full-blown freak-out, the normal often seems unattainable. We tend to overcompensate, greatly diminishing what we’re capable of. Part of having an accurate appraisal is course-correcting. If you feel tired, fatigued, or anxious, you can learn how to navigate that. But knowing that you might sell yourself short gives you the power to do something about it, and to readjust as stress or fatigue mounts.”

Basically, when we are stressed, our judgment of what we are capable of is altered.

He also talks about focusing on process, not outcomes. The outcome is not entirely in our control, so if we put our energy toward process-oriented goals (such as effort) we not only improve our motivation but we give ourselves actionable information on how to improve.

How is it already August?!

July totals:
Running distance: 31.5 miles over 12 runs
Running time: 8:53 hours
Walking distance: 5.53 miles over 6 walks
Walking time: 2 hours
Strength workouts: 4
Strength training time: 3:45 hours
Strength total load: 1,160 reps; and 24,848 pounds (I love that my LR255s tracks this now!)

64F21D5B-D2A3-4B0C-92DD-85CCDB8C4F45.jpeg

A great month, shattered my monthly high by 30 miles!

Started July off with my usual 5 mile loop and decided to give myself a challenge. It seems I’m slowing down the last couple months and with nothing on the calendar this is the best fit in my schedule to try for a streak. Rather than worrying about speed, I’m going to go for miles. I run 10 miles/Mondays and 5/T-Sat now so I’m going to go for everyday in the month of July. Throwing it out here because now that it’s out, I feel there is some accountability, and hope I can push myself mentally to complete the challenge and hit a new monthly PR.
We’ll see in a month…

Glad I put this out there to challenge myself. The first couple weeks, maybe even three it seemed like a daunting task every day to run on tired legs and I started off going slower than usual. Crazy though, the last ten days just felt so good that I was speeding up without even noticing and now at the end of the month my avg pace is faster than the previous two and I feel ready to keep going. I’m actually planning to continue the streak another week and a half, the timing works for me. Mid August will see a near two week break to enjoy family time on a road trip/Disney Wish/move DD into college then jump into a schedule for Wine and Dine/Dopey.

I’m currently reading Do Hard Things by Steve Magness, and he says: “When we flip into a threat state, a freeze reaction, or a full-blown freak-out, the normal often seems unattainable. We tend to overcompensate, greatly diminishing what we’re capable of. Part of having an accurate appraisal is course-correcting. If you feel tired, fatigued, or anxious, you can learn how to navigate that. But knowing that you might sell yourself short gives you the power to do something about it, and to readjust as stress or fatigue mounts.”

Basically, when we are stressed, our judgment of what we are capable of is altered.

He also talks about focusing on process, not outcomes. The outcome is not entirely in our control, so if we put our energy toward process-oriented goals (such as effort) we not only improve our motivation but we give ourselves actionable information on how to improve.
I really like Steve. His recent appearance on the Rich Roll podcast was a good look behind the Salazar situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter