The Skyliner has major bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being a user of an ecv in your regular life doesn't mean you don't have a disability. I'm not sure why anyone would make that inference. I have a friend with MS. She doesn't use a scooter in her every day life. She limits her time out and about and does things on her good days. She would need a scooter at Disney.

What about my friend with cancer who is weak from treatment? She doesn't use a scooter. I will encourage her to do so at the parks.

So true. I posted my recent experience on the DISabilities board-- had knee surgery recently and then was faced with the choice to disappoint a friend who had invited me to WDW for an anniversary celebration (plans made prior to my knee injury) or rent an ECV so I could go and comply with my surgeon's instructions to not stress my knee. It mostly sucked being in an ECV, since I'm normally very active. But I could not have made the trip otherwise. I had not used an ECV before, and (knock on wood) won't need one again for quite some time.

That said-- I do understand that the skyliner experience must have been quite frustrating for the OP. I think (ECV or not), most people would not enjoy the stopping and starting and delays.

Should allow 90 minutes for resort-to-resort transportation.,

Otherwise if the maitre'd refuses you or puts you on standby, er, walkup status then you then mention the transportation issues. The right way ((I am not sure about policy in this peculiar circumstance) is to pencil in a new reservation time for you for ten minutes after you get there and then honor that.

Let's stick to the real issue that the gondala shouldn't be having so many issues!!!

On just the first page, I've seen opinions that disabled guests shouldn't be able to ride the Skyliner and that some people in EVCs don't need them. Ah, the compassion of humanity.

Isn’t it crazy to think there are other people in this world? 🤯 (my mind being blown at this revelation)

Isn’t it crazy to think there are other people in this world? 🤯 (my mind being blown at this revelation)

Yeah but, you know, *those* people should just be happy with whatever they get. After all, they aren't as important as "regular" people. (And yes, I have heard these exact words in real life. Not by anyone I know, thankfully, but it's amazing how rude people can be when they're WHISPERING to be heard.)

Yeah but, you know, *those* people should just be happy with whatever they get. After all, they aren't as important as "regular" people. (And yes, I have heard these exact words in real life. Not by anyone I know, thankfully, but it's amazing how rude people can be when they're WHISPERING to be heard.)

Just to be clear I am not the one who stated disabled people shouldn’t ride the gondolas. I stated there are people who ride ECVs at Disney who aren’t disabled and i still stand by that as it’s true.

Yeah, it did. When you make comments about being able to tell that some people really don't need them, or how they should require a doctor's note. It is obvious you have no idea what it is like to have to use an ECV or wheelchair at Disney World.

And anyone who says they use them to save having tired feet are trading fresh feet for other frustrations.

But I do know what’s it’s like to be at Disney with a disability . I’ve been to Disney with my MIL who has MS and with my daughter after finishing chemo and not being 100% Stating there are folks at Disney who aren’t disabled using ECVs is true and no way meant to be offensive and I’m actually baffled anyone would think it was. A doctors note would help prevent people abusing the use of an EVC.

Last edited:
I don't want to get into the argument of whether anyone should or should not use an ECV, but rather in light of what happened tonight, should someone who can't evacuate a gondola at 80 ft in the air be ON a Skyliner in the first place?

Man that’s sucks. I would lose my freaking mind being stuck that long.
I was one of the people who tried to give Disney the benefit of the doubt of no air conditioning etc, but after this it’s going to be a LONG time until I consider riding this. I would lose it being stuck in such a small box for so long especially if it was full.

I was one of the people who tried to give Disney the benefit of the doubt of no air conditioning etc, but after this it’s going to be a LONG time until I consider riding this. I would lose it being stuck in such a small box for so long especially if it was full.
They don’t have air conditioning on it? What about when it gets stuck at noon in July? Those “emergency packs” better have a metric ton of water and ice packs in them. That could literally kill people, and I’m using “literally” in its old definition, when it still meant literally.

They don’t have air conditioning on it? What about when it gets stuck at noon in July? Those “emergency packs” better have a metric ton of water and ice packs in them. That could literally kill people, and I’m using “literally” in its old definition, when it still meant literally.
There is supposedly an on-board emergency cooling system but based on the speed of the evacuation tonight I don’t think it would last nearly long enough.

There is supposedly an on-board emergency cooling system but based on the speed of the evacuation tonight I don’t think it would last nearly long enough.
Disney is going to have to take the whole system down and do a lot of retooling. For customer reassurance in addition to physical repair. I sincerely hope everyone is okay.

I don't want to get into the argument of whether anyone should or should not use an ECV, but rather in light of what happened tonight, should someone who can't evacuate a gondola at 80 ft in the air be ON a Skyliner in the first place?

This was my thought process when I made my post about ADA compliance and gondola systems. It seems ill advised to have non ambulatory guests board something that they may need an aerial rescue out of, and it just happened tonight. Terrifying. Seems to me that the "equal access" can mean that guests in wheelchairs and ECVs should use the buses instead. Since the gondola is an alternate transportation system and not the only way to get between 2 points on the map, this seems to be a reasonable protocol.

There is no way I would ride this if I had a baby in a stroller or was confined to a wheelchair or ECV. Absolutely no way.

As it stands, my 2 kids are autistic and one would absolutely lose his mind in panic at the situation that unfolded tonight. My husband suffers from anxiety and has a fear of heights. Thus, I have already determined that the Skyliner is not in the cards for our family. We will use the other transportation options available. I don't feel slighted about it or that everyone should be entitled to a ride on the Skyway.

Looks like the original conversation about the Skyliner derailed into the need for ECVs debate, so closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter