The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

You put the success or failure of the entire Olympic Games on her shoulders. Seems to me that’s part of the problem.
Not my problem. Once again this is responding to the idea that she doesn't owe anybody anything.
That is false.

At the end of the day she will be fine. She has millions and millions of dollars.

We need to be more concerned with all the people who have mental health problems in our nations who are living on the streets in cities like Denver, New York, Washington, D.C, Portland, Los Angeles, etc. Homelessness is out of control right now.
Also that... having money doesn't solve mental health problems. Even when you can buy the best therapy in the world, it's no guarantee for success. You can have money and still be traumatized because of years of abuse or the world demanding of her to perform well. Money doesn't solve that.

Having money doesn't make her mental health problems any better or worse than someone who lives on the street: That's not a competition.

You can be concerned about the mental health of top athletes and the homeless. Feelings of empathy can be spread.

I just watched the 3x3 basketball finals and I have to admit that I have a new favorite sports. It was so fun and it is a short game. It was just great.

Not my problem. Once again this is responding to the idea that she doesn't owe anybody anything.
That is false.
In your opinion. Hopefully most people and her sponsors disagree with you. Her physical and mental health should come before anything else.

That is false.

Yeah, but sports sponsorhisp is inherently a gamble. A company can endorse an athlete, but that doesn't mean that it is guaranteed that they will perform. Nike could make a million dollar contract with basketball player who gets seriously injured in his second season and never plays to the same level again. It happens. It's part of the risk. I don't think any sponsors will be complaining too hard, because the real point is to keep the athlete in the public eye - and she is defititely in the public eye!

Yeah, but sports sponsorhisp is inherently a gamble. A company can endorse an athlete, but that doesn't mean that it is guaranteed that they will perform. Nike could make a million dollar contract with basketball player who gets seriously injured in his second season and never plays to the same level again. It happens. It's part of the risk. I don't think any sponsors will be complaining too hard, because the real point is to keep the athlete in the public eye - and she is defititely in the public eye!

Most sponsorship contracts have all sorts of clauses that can nullify the contract.

For example a baseball player might not be able to play pickup baseketball or ride RV's during the offseason (risk of injury)

Or some kind of moral clause for behavior that could tarnish the brand.

I don't think there have been many mental health clauses but that may change in the future now.

No, you didn’t say that. Not even close. Nice try.
I did say that. Go back and read my posts. I'm a big fan of hers and approve her decision.

However, the idea that she doesn't owe anybody anything (which one poster proclaimed) is patently false.

People and especially interviewers need to stop calling her GOAT. That put alot of unnecessary pressure and contributed to her anxiety as it leads to unrealistic expectations. Just let her be a kid.

This is where I think Simone owns part of the problem. She is the one who literally put a rhinestone goat on her leotards and also promoted herself as the greatest. She is free to do that, but then she has to expect the crazy whirlwind of press. I'm sure she has been struggling mentally for a long time. If so, how about tuning down interviews, documentaries about your life, and endorsements/sponsorships and concentrating on your own health? Over the past few months, you can't turn on the tv without seeing her in a commercial or doing an interview.

Just let her be a kid? She is NOT a naive 16 year old child. She is a 24 year old grown woman who makes her own decisions - whether to her benefit or detriment.

Bottom line, I don't think she "owes" anyone anything - unless she signed a contract and she has nothing of the sort with me or the country. If she was unwell and at risk of injuring herself, she should NOT compete, but she also needs to own her part in all of the hype that has been created around her.

I've been skipping over that. How long do the matches last?
Until either a team scores 21 or until a 10 minute clock runs out. It's a half court type game. There is no taking the ball out of bounds after shots. The team takes it right out of the basket outside the 2 point line and then may shoot whenever they want. There is a 12 second shot clock.

This is where I think Simone owns part of the problem. She is the one who literally put a rhinestone goat on her leotards and also promoted herself as the greatest. She is free to do that, but then she has to expect the crazy whirlwind of press. I'm sure she has been struggling mentally for a long time. If so, how about tuning down interviews, documentaries about your life, and endorsements/sponsorships and concentrating on your own health? Over the past few months, you can't turn on the tv without seeing her in a commercial or doing an interview.

Just let her be a kid? She is NOT a naive 16 year old child. She is a 24 year old grown woman who makes her own decisions - whether to her benefit or detriment.

Bottom line, I don't think she "owes" anyone anything - unless she signed a contract and she has nothing of the sort with me or the country. If she was unwell and at risk of injuring herself, she should NOT compete, but she also needs to own her part in all of the hype that has been created around her.

Honestly, that's going to be a bigger problem with NIL, youtube, instagram stars, as fame and money become more important than dedication to the craft.

That's why you are seeing more and more the best athletes are coming from war torn Eastern Europe, Africa, South America, outsiders and other countries where they still have the hunger and desire. Guys like Luka Doncic, Giannis, Embid, Anna Kesienhofer, Henry Cejudo, Ohtani etc. And this may just be a natural change that we have to accept that the greatest athlete will no longer be American. We've lost that hunger, desire, eye of the tiger, so to speak. But there are always those who are hungrier out there. That's what makes sports great.

I wonder what Marta thinks about this situation. No way in hell would this have happened when she was in charge and I am not saying that is a bad thing!

I wonder what Marta thinks about this situation. No way in hell would this have happened when she was in charge and I am not saying that is a bad thing!
We may just have to accept that the Golden Era of US women's gymnastics is over.

The US men's gymnastics used to be a power but it's been about 15 years since they were really competitive.

I'm willing to bet that there is probably an out clause in such contracts that if the athlete fails to perform, they don't get the full payment OR the company takes out insurance on the contract so if the athlete "fails", they are covered by insurance. Depends on the amount of the contract, I am sure!

Most sponsorship contracts have all sorts of clauses that can nullify the contract.

For example a baseball player might not be able to play pickup baseketball or ride RV's during the offseason (risk of injury)

Or some kind of moral clause for behavior that could tarnish the brand.

I don't think there have been many mental health clauses but that may change in the future now.

Well, sure, but I don't think they have clauses about how many points you have to score or the contract is nullified. Certainly they may not renew it when the time comes if the athlete is not performing well of course.

We may just have to accept that the Golden Era of US women's gymnastics is over.

The US men's gymnastics used to be a power but it's been about 15 years since they were really competitive.

The men have never been good except for in 1984 when the Soviet teams boycotted. The women have been superior for longer but only since 2012. The women in 1984 only won a silver with the boycott.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter