The Trip Where Nothing Really Bad Happened - The End 6/1, Bonus Features: Disney 100 Celebration, Mickey Minnie Runaway Railway queue 2/8

Hmmm.....I thought I had replied to these comments a couple days ago....

Hi Alison. Always a treat to read a new update...especially when it's something fun---goodness knows, can always use more of that. I am actually very excited to follow your upcoming cruise trip report too.
I'll have a few before the cruise. Fran is doing well enough that I can leave her for periods of time now.
MMRR is one my new favorite rides in WDW since my head doesn't like the coaster feeling so glad to see it in DL..fell in love with the trackless ride systems when visited the Asia parks. So smooth and lots of possibilities....

The trackless ride systems are rather nice. But I still like the thrill of a coaster.

I realized recently that I can look at the photos on my phone based on the location where they were taken, so it actually wasn't too much work to find as I could zoom in to DCA and easily find- cool hey!
That must be an iPhone thing. I can't do it on my Android. I looked for the pictures of when Jill and I got kitty, but can't find them now.
I need to buy frozen fruit so will take a look, Makenna has been asking about smoothies and she was a huge dole whip fan
I keep frozen blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and mango, and use that same recipe for all of them. I just switch up the fruit combination.
Yes, get it down for my next visit please!
I'll try! :thumbsup2
Yup, as cool as it would have been, too much work/could break easy etc
Yeah, there is that to factor in.

Hi Alison,

I am one of those silent readers, but I wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading all of your trip reports during the last couple of years. It's been so nice getting to know you and Fran, and traveling along on your adventures. I was really concerned when you mentioned Fran was ill, but it sounds like she is heading in the right direction, and I'm happy for you both.
I appreciate you chiming in every so often. She's doing OK and making progress. We will see how the cruise goes.
Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming cruise!

Alesia
You might not say that after you hear about the details. I'm saving that for the cruise TR opening post.

Rust adds extra flavour.

Actually there is no rust, but there is a slight burnt spot in the rubber lid when I accidentally set it on the thingy on my gas stove for a second. The iron grate sort of made a little indentation in the top. Adds character.

So when we last left off, we were headed from SWGE to Toontown to await our Boarding Group being called. We opted for a go on the potty ride, and just as we were finishing up our group was called. Perfect timing!

Toontown was somewhat roped off, and there were CMs, standing at the entry side of the walkway checking phones to see if you had an active BG or LL to enter. I flashed my cell phone and we were let in.

x23DL0127D100_18.jpg

Soon we were on our way to the Toontown Theater.

x23DL0127D100_19.jpg

Which was aptly titled the El Capitoon Theater

x23DL0127D100_20.jpg

In case you don’t understand the joke here, The El Capitan is a historic theater on Hollywood Boulevard (in Hollywood, CA). It was built in 1926 as a playhouse and eventually was converted to screen movies. It fell into disrepair as it passed from owner to owner. And after 50 years as a “first run” theater, it closed in 1988. Walt Disney Studios purchased the property and in conjunction with the Hollywood Preservation Society and Pacific Theaters, it was extensively restored and returned to it’s original name. Since 1991 it has been the showcase for Disney motion pictures. Oftentimes the movies are preceded by a live stage show, most using the Theater’s Wurlizter organ. Also you might find fun interactive exhibits to enjoy before or after the movie.

Throughout the queue you will find these movie posters. The imagineers must have had a lot of fun coming up with these.

x23DL0127D100_24.jpg

Here is the advertisement for the movie you’ll be seeing.

x23DL0127D100_22.jpg

I’ll let these posters speak for themselves.

x23DL0127D100_25.jpg

x23DL0127D100_26.jpg

x23DL0127D100_27.jpg

x23DL0127D100_28.jpg

x23DL0127D100_29.jpg

The next section of the queue celebrates the accomplishments of Mickey and the theater.

x23DL0127D100_30.jpg

If you can zoom in on the little signs and such here, they’re kinda cute.

x23DL0127D100_31.jpg

In this room there are all kinds of props from his various films and shorts.

x23DL0127D100_32.jpg

Someone in our party asked me if this was something that could be played.

x23DL0127D100_33.jpg

They even had Mickey’s costume from “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”!

x23DL0127D100_34.jpg

x23DL0127D100_35.jpg

Now going through the “standby or Boarding Group” queue, you see this beanstalk.

x23DL0127D100_36.jpg

However, later I was able to go through the Lightning Lane where I discovered the “joke” by the imagineers.

x23DL0127D100_36a.jpg

Later they had posters from real Mickey cartoons.

x23DL0127D100_37.jpg

x23DL0127D100_38.jpg

Hidden Mickeys are all through this ride.

x23DL0127D100_39.jpg

x23DL0127D100_40.jpg

These were more props from Mickey’s many films.

x23DL0127D100_41.jpg

We got a glance at the concessions stand.

x23DL0127D100_42.jpg

I like that they have food for lots of species.

x23DL0127D100_44.jpg

Notice anything strange about this popcorn?

x23DL0127D100_45.jpg

x23DL0127D100_46.jpg

A nod to Walt’s early productions….

x23DL0127D100_47.jpg

There were a number of jokes in the condiments, but this was my favorite.

x23DL0127D100_48.jpg

There’s a lot going on in this shot.

x23DL0127D100_49.jpg

For those of you who have been on the ride in Hollywood Studios, it’s the same ride, just the queue is different. Once you pass through the concession stand you enter the foyer for the movie theater where you’ll view the film "Perfect Picnic".

Following the ride, we were pretty tired and it was dark. We decided that we had a big lunch and didn’t need to get stuff for dinner so we headed to the fireworks and waited for the brand new show. I didn’t take any pictures, I just wanted to enjoy it. Unfortunately I couldn’t do that.

I thought the show depended far too much on the castle projections and not enough on the fireworks themselves. I also had a problem with what they did musically. They did a mashup of Belle, Hercules, and Hunchback themes that did not work at all. If you have heard the IASW Christmas Overlay, they do a mashup of Jingle Bells and the SW theme. That works beautifully. This one they did for the fireworks, not so much. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn’t. Oh well. Something that I don’t have to stay late at the parks for!

Next update: I get to ride some of the rides that were down!

Last edited:
Actually there is no rust, but there is a slight burnt spot in the rubber lid when I accidentally set it on the thingy on my gas stove for a second.
You're not a grown up until you've left something on the burner in your own home.
The iron grate sort of made a little indentation in the top. Adds character.
:thumbsup2

We opted for a go on the potty ride
Best ride in the park?
Which was aptly titled the El Capitoon Theater
Walt Disney Studios purchased the property and in conjunction with the Hollywood Preservation Society and Pacific Theaters, it was extensively restored and returned to it’s original name. Since 1991 it has been the showcase for Disney motion pictures. Oftentimes the movies are preceded by a live stage show, most using the Theater’s Wurlizter organ. Also you might find fun interactive exhibits to enjoy before or after the movie.
I knew of the El Capitan, but didn't know this about it. Very happy to hear that.
Throughout the queue you will find these movie posters. The imagineers must have had a lot of fun coming up with these.
::yes::
In this room there are all kinds of props from his various films and shorts.
Love that they did that. Toons brought to life!
Someone in our party asked me if this was something that could be played.
Of course it can.
They even had Mickey’s costume from “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”!
Niiice!
:laughing:
Now going through the “standby or Boarding Group” queue, you see this beanstalk.
I wonder if anyone under, oh... 30.. gets what that is?
However, later I was able to go through the Lightning Lane where I discovered the “joke” by the imagineers.
Nicely done. :)
Notice anything strange about this popcorn?
Does that count as 1 or 1,000 hidden Mickeys??
A nod to Walt’s early productions….
There were a number of jokes in the condiments, but this was my favorite.
If it's Nachos, then whose is it?
just the queue is different.
Very! I like it a lot. Actually a whole lot better than DHS's.
I thought the show depended far too much on the castle projections and not enough on the fireworks themselves.
Yeah... that's getting to be a bit much, isn't it? Do you watch the castle or the fireworks? I almost (almost!) think they should just turn the lights off on the castle completely and just have fireworks.

I flashed my cell phone and we were let in.
Stop flashing the CM's, Alison!

In case you don’t understand the joke here, The El Capitan is a historic theater on Hollywood Boulevard (in Hollywood, CA). It was built in 1926 as a playhouse and eventually was converted to screen movies. It fell into disrepair as it passed from owner to owner. And after 50 years as a “first run” theater, it closed in 1988. Walt Disney Studios purchased the property and in conjunction with the Hollywood Preservation Society and Pacific Theaters, it was extensively restored and returned to it’s original name. Since 1991 it has been the showcase for Disney motion pictures. Oftentimes the movies are preceded by a live stage show, most using the Theater’s Wurlizter organ. Also you might find fun interactive exhibits to enjoy before or after the movie.
I've heard of the theater, but didn't know all that backstory. Thanks for that.

Love this one. The Rocketeer is kind of an underrated movie, I think.

Fun! I like that a lot.

:laughing:
I thought the show depended far too much on the castle projections and not enough on the fireworks themselves.
This seems to be the case with most of the more recent nighttime shows. A way to save money on fireworks, I'm guessing.

I also had a problem with what they did musically. They did a mashup of Belle, Hercules, and Hunchback themes that did not work at all.
That's also been a problem for a while. I much preferred when they wrote original music and tried to tell a story with the show, rather than just do a Disney clip show.

I am another long time lurker- love reading all your reports and looking forward to what the future brings- hoping Fran continues to improve!

Hey folks! I'll catch up on replies once I'm back, but it's the last day of the cruise and I started the Trip Report

Here

Hope to see you there!

Hi Alison, I am finally getting a free-ish morning to catch up on the threads I've missed so much. Life is too topsy-turvy right now to be on very much other than try to make feeble attempts at keeping my own thread on life support. But I read your last chapter and loved all of the photos from "the potty ride"- I think I've missed too much to catch that reference, and there must be a backstory to that. LOL!

I gotta say, the CA version of the queue has WAYYYYYY more fun stuff in it than the FL one. Holy smokes! I'd love to see that someday.

The Rocketeer is kind of an underrated movie, I think.
The soundtrack is amazing too. The Fountain of Nations (RIP :sad1: ) featured one of its theme songs.

You're not a grown up until you've left something on the burner in your own home.
Interesting take on a right of passage!
Best ride in the park?
Depending on your situation it could be!
I knew of the El Capitan, but didn't know this about it. Very happy to hear that.
I learned a few things researching this post as well!
Love that they did that. Toons brought to life!
::yes::
Of course it can.
:rolleyes1
I wonder if anyone under, oh... 30.. gets what that is?
Good question....
Does that count as 1 or 1,000 hidden Mickeys??
Good question!
If it's Nachos, then whose is it?
I'll have to get back to you on that one.
Very! I like it a lot. Actually a whole lot better than DHS's.
Yes! Much more interesting, although I still hope to ride that version on my upcoming trip!
Yeah... that's getting to be a bit much, isn't it? Do you watch the castle or the fireworks? I almost (almost!) think they should just turn the lights off on the castle completely and just have fireworks.
Someone mentioned that by having the castle projection portion, when the winds are too high and they have to cancel the fireworks, they can go ahead with the projections and thus claim that the show will go on.

Stop flashing the CM's, Alison!
I wish I had a flasher emoji! :lmao: But then it probably wouldn't be very DIS friendly!
I've heard of the theater, but didn't know all that backstory. Thanks for that.
You're Welcome. :flower3:
Love this one. The Rocketeer is kind of an underrated movie, I think.
I don't think I've ever seen it. :rolleyes1
Fun! I like that a lot.
So imaginative. Must be fun coming up with these gags.
This seems to be the case with most of the more recent nighttime shows. A way to save money on fireworks, I'm guessing.
Or as I mentioned to @pkondz if its too windy for fireworks, they run the projection show and claim that the nighttime entertainment was a success.
That's also been a problem for a while. I much preferred when they wrote original music and tried to tell a story with the show, rather than just do a Disney clip show.
Yeah, showing 30 seconds of the most popular recent movies doesn't make for a show that pulls at the heartstrings.

I am another long time lurker- love reading all your reports and looking forward to what the future brings- hoping Fran continues to improve!
Thanks for chiming in!

I'll have a fresh new TR starting in a few weeks! Less than a week now to my next WDW trip!

Hi Alison, I am finally getting a free-ish morning to catch up on the threads I've missed so much. Life is too topsy-turvy right now to be on very much other than try to make feeble attempts at keeping my own thread on life support.
Hey! Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I've been so focused on finishing my cruise TR before my WDW trip, I forgot to come back here and reply to posts over here!
But I read your last chapter and loved all of the photos from "the potty ride"- I think I've missed too much to catch that reference, and there must be a backstory to that. LOL!
Nor much of a backstory, the potty ride is what Fran and I call the call of nature when we're at Disney.
I gotta say, the CA version of the queue has WAYYYYYY more fun stuff in it than the FL one. Holy smokes! I'd love to see that someday.
The regular queue is also a lot more interesting than the Lightning Lane.
The soundtrack is amazing too. The Fountain of Nations (RIP :sad1: ) featured one of its theme songs.
Hmmm...I suppose I should check out this movie.

I learned a few things researching this post as well!
One of the fringe benefits of writing. ::yes::
Someone mentioned that by having the castle projection portion, when the winds are too high and they have to cancel the fireworks, they can go ahead with the projections and thus claim that the show will go on.
Yeah... no. That's not a win in my books.

I noticed the number on the cash register and had to look it up. Mickey's birthday is 11/18. The other register has the numbers 1928... Mickey's first appearance on film. I love how Disney subtly throws in Easter eggs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter